The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Official(?) Gamer's Quarter Recommended Reading List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: The Official(?) Gamer's Quarter Recommended Reading List Reply with quote

Further to discussions in the postmodernism thread. Feel free to sticky/rename/delete this thread.

This is for reading that will increase our understanding of videogame theory and give us a solid foundation of shared knowledge from which to develop our own theories, values and principles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wikipedia article on Postmodernism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism

-because in a thread about Postmodernism it transpired that few of us had much of a grasp on what Postmodernism actually was.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recognize the word "videogame" and therefore will not contribute to this thread, Harveyjames.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Gamer's Quarter Recommended Reading List Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Further to discussions in the postmodernism thread. Feel free to sticky/rename/delete this thread.

This is for reading that will increase our understanding of videogame theory and give us a solid foundation of shared knowledge from which to develop our own theories, values and principles.

I think you should just read some book-books. The ones your high school teacher tried to rattle her bones about while you erased 1UP mushrooms into the cover of your Mead notebook. I recommend The Great Gatsby, because I always recommend The Great Gatsby.

There's nothing that could help you design a better videogame more than an understanding of motivations, characters, setting, story, and the like. Your own theories, values, and principles are built up from your exposure to those around you -- best to get in as much as you possibly can.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never could relate to The Great Gatsby. I realize it may be the great American novel, but it really never did anything for me.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's online.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Gamer's Quarter Recommended Reading List Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

I think you should just read some book-books. The ones your high school teacher tried to rattle her bones about while you erased 1UP mushrooms into the cover of your Mead notebook. I recommend The Great Gatsby, because I always recommend The Great Gatsby.

There's nothing that could help you design a better videogame more than an understanding of motivations, characters, setting, story, and the like. Your own theories, values, and principles are built up from your exposure to those around you -- best to get in as much as you possibly can.

Gee thanks. I wonder what I've been doing all my life. This is a meant to be shared resource for everyone's benefit, so what you think I should do is pretty irrelevant.

So what, no-one thinks this is a good idea? Necessity is the mother of invention, people! We've already hit a few hurdles (the post-modern thread springs to mind) that shows that this is a thing we need to have. I'm going to start adding approved texts to the top of the thread, along with the reasons for their inclusion.

We should write the name of the text, the link to it and then the reason we need it. Then if enough people decide it's worthy of inclusion it'll be added to the top post. I think that sounds fair.

Also, I don't want to be the sole person in charge of this, so presumably moderators can take texts agreed upon in this thread and stick them in the top post.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on print books.

Since the aim of this is to be a non-elitist knowledge primer for newcomers to the forum and established members, I don't think full-length print books should be included. Reading them involves spending money, leaving the house to track them down, or at the very least investing serious amounts of time. We should assume the reader is actually going to read the texts we suggest and can do so easily through the internet.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
A note on print books.

Since the aim of this is to be a non-elitist knowledge primer for newcomers to the forum and established members, I don't think full-length print books should be included. Reading them involves spending money, leaving the house to track them down, or at the very least investing serious amounts of time. We should assume the reader is actually going to read the texts we suggest and can do so easily through the internet.

Good God.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Gamer's Quarter Recommended Reading List Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
So what, no-one thinks this is a good idea? Necessity is the mother of invention, people! We've already hit a few hurdles (the post-modern thread springs to mind) that shows that this is a thing we need to have. I'm going to start adding approved texts to the top of the thread, along with the reasons for their inclusion.

<Devil'sAdvocate>
Do we really need this, though?

Can we truly gather a list of books and authoratively say, "Here, these contain all you need to understand videogame theory?" I'm sure some people will find some books irrelevant while others will clamor for the inclusion of different books. But will print media truly contribute to an understanding of this 'videogame theory' as a whole? They're two very different types of media, and videogames encompass so many more parts than just the narrative told by books.

And does all this possibly pretentious intellectual posturing truly contribute to the enjoyment of videogames as a media, or is it all one big academic circle-jerk for people to path themselves on the back about how cunningly they dismissed game X as being irrelevant or how clever their defense of postmodernism/modernism/Marxism/Futurism/etc. was for game Y?

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention, and methinks that we would be wise to listen to it more often.
</Devil'sAdvocate>
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
A note on print books.

Good God.

Fuck you.

Greatsaintlouis: Well, I guess if it was really such a great idea it would have gotten a better reaction than it did, so you have a point. Can't blame me for trying, though.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually a pretty good idea, Harveryjames.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing is, when I do read.... it is either a) online articles/news (not really relevant for this discussion), b) for school (which, again, while interesting... doesn't have any relevance for this purpose) or c) full length books - which could be (read: are) relevant for this discussion.

Which means: I would have no idea/knowledge about things to reference in the context you are asking for.

Plus... you know, there are things called libraries where people can borrow books for free, if they feel an absolute need to read one of the recommendations from within this thread and don't have the money to purchase it.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
The main thing is, when I do read.... it is either a) online articles/news (not really relevant for this discussion), b) for school (which, again, while interesting... doesn't have any relevance for this purpose) or c) full length books - which could be (read: are) relevant for this discussion.

Oh, I think that online articles could be pretty relevant - - school reading as well, depending.

Also, since it's online, I'd like to recommend The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (big thanks to Swimmy for the link). It's a classic example of a well-crafted story with believable characters. It's also a great metaphor for game design, as recapturing the magic of the past is a key theme. I think we should add it to the list after the Wikipedia article on Postmodernism.

What does everyone think?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I love the idea. My own personal silence here has been because I have nothing to add to the list yet.

To counter part of Great St. Louis's devil's advocate post:

I don't think we're trying to create an authoritative anything by assembling this reading list. This isn't the definitive word, just a helpful resource. Just because it will be limited by our input as a community doesn't mean it will be useless.

I second the notion to expand the 'texts' to any resource that we can link to online, and I hereby submit for approval Tom Kim's fatpixels/gamasutra/gdc-radio podcasts, which are frequently enriching and always interesting. I'm terrible at computer-izing things, though, so someone else might have to take care of the link for it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reading them involves spending money, leaving the house to track them down, or at the very least investing serious amounts of time.

you say this like it's a bad thing!

i mean, i love having information at my immediate fingertips, and lord knows i spend enough time in lexis-nexis but is leaving the house really a hurdle?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez guys, you know you can buy pretty much any book ever from amazon.com right?
Redeye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this as a gag gift.

What's the hollow space for?

It's an empty signifier.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the marker inside. The marker has now become the Great American Videogame. Praise be to the miracle of transubstantiation.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Reading them involves spending money, leaving the house to track them down, or at the very least investing serious amounts of time.

you say this like it's a bad thing!

i mean, i love having information at my immediate fingertips, and lord knows i spend enough time in lexis-nexis but is leaving the house really a hurdle?

Well- I thought we could design the list with the assumption that everyone's going to read these. It's a big ask for every to actually buy these books or even go and get them from the library. My idea is that it would have been a bunch of stuff online that you could read through in an evening. See, if accessing this information requires actual effort on the part of the person who clicks through and sees the reading list, the less likely they are to actually do it.

It's the difference between the reading list being an actual online resource, and just a list.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

It's the difference between the reading list being an actual online resource, and just a list.

That sounds kind of like a beefed-up glossary -- either you'd expect everything to be read by everyone, or it wouldn't be necessary to read it, because you'd already know those things before you got there.

I know you don't want to do all of the work, but do you have any other examples of the types of documents you mean?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose worthy stuff could take the form of interviews, transcripts from seminars, essays, exceptional articles, book excerpts. Could be not strictly just games but stuff written on other mediums that also applies to games.

I know this stuff is out there but I'm not sure where. One day I'll make a concerted effort to find some things.

I think we should by and large have pretty much an 'anything goes' attiude to this otherwise
It's going to be difficult to agree on what should be canonized and what shouldn't. Whatever we submit should lean towards the academic, I guess, but besides that you should be free to add anything you like, within reason.

It might be fun to take a sort of mad scientist attitude to it. Try and surprise people! I'd never have known Tartar sauce went well with fries until I stuck them together!
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw something out there to start with.

And there's a lot of good stuff on GameStudies, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for. There's a lot of awful iffy stuff as well. Frasca, even if you disagree with what he thinks/argues (and I do a fair amount of the time) is a good writer and does a good job of getting his ideas across while still being accessible.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miniature Gardens & Magic Crayons
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this obviously useful idea came up against so much resistance. I have a lot of links that I've saved, and I'll be pleased as punch to share them when I get home.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

You know the main problem with this idea is that it's too much like hard work.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
You know the main problem with this idea is that it's too much like hard work.

Mostly I didn't like when you said reading books is too much effort.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the shit out of books. You should have seen me when I first discovered Phillip Pullman, and I found they had all his shit at the library. I worked at Toys 'R' Us in Cardiff at the time and the only reading material in the lunch room was The Daily Mirror or the little menu on the coffee machine. So I got out a book. Then every other day I'd be taking the train to get to university in the next city over. What am I going to do for an hour each way, lock myself in the train toilet and JO? You've never seen a motherfucker read as many books as I did that year. Reading books is not the problem here.

The problem is this. Getting your hands on one book requires little investment. Amazon.com and you're done (tm). But say we really, seriously make this list and there's a list of like 10+ books up there? And you're supposed to buy all of them? You'd be like 'fuck this'. It's an unreasonably large investment to expect people to make. Like I said, we fill this list with links and it's an online resource. Fill it with books and it's just a list.
internisus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on some basic definitions for interactive media, and I took a break to search the web for writing regarding the need and criteria for such a discourse. I also asked selectbutton, but they laughed at me. Anyway, I didn't really find what I wanted, and most of what I did find regarding the need for this language made me angry due to its laziness and small-mindedness, especially since they seemed well-intentioned. I did find one article that I thought was excellent, however. It's a very well-stated and thorough state-of-the-medium sort of thing, articulating the need for industry and academic cooperation.

There Are No Words (Yet): The Desperately Incomplete Language of Gaming
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:

Matthew Sakey has written some really good (and some pretty poor) articles for the IGDA. You should read some of his back catalog.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a really nice guy too.

Intern, you should check out Trigger Happy by Steven Poole. I'm so not kidding.
internisus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into both of those.

I've been reading through IGDA's Ivory Tower column -- which is the stuff that made me angry -- and The Lost Garden.

Here are some other things I've found that I haven't read yet:

The Art of Computer Game Design by Chris Crawford

The Language of New Media

A Clash Between Game and Narrative by Jesper Juul -- Juul's IGDA columns -- and a few of his other articles, as well -- particularly frustrated me, so I have low expectations here.

Computer and Video Games Come of Age

Is It Possible to Build Dramatically Compelling Interactive Entertainment?

Playing with Players: Methodologies for MUDs

Some things I've read recently:

Play Dead: Genre and Affect in Silent Hill and Planescape: Torment This was alright, but sort of pointless, and it failed to touch on the most distinctive aspects of those games by not delving to a base enough level.

Ludologists Love Stories, Too I liked this, as a brief introduction to the narrative and ludological perspectives, and I appreciate the harmonic spirit in which it was written. There are also some quotes of excellent observations, such as: “In his excellent article about configurative mechanisms in games, The Gaming Situation, Markku Eskelinen rightly points out, drawing on Espen Aarseth’s well-known typology of cybertexts, that playing a game is predominantly a configurative practice, not an interpretative one like film or literature." It's a nice pointer to other material.

Computer Games Have Words, Too: Dialogue Conventions in FFVII This was alright, though, again, a tad pointless. The parts that I liked focused on the peculiar investment players feel in expository dialogue compared to non-interactive formats.

Also, I love to have the Inform7 page up all the time for inspiration. "A design system for interactive fiction" So beautiful.

Anyway, I've also got all this crap related to design documents, and most of that is annoying. They're all so reductionist as to be useless symptoms of a confused medium. So. Does anyone have anything focusing on criteria for a discourse on videogames? Something that discusses what a new language for talking about the medium would need to be capable of?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
He's a really nice guy too.

I sent him an email once. He never responded >:(

But yeah, he seems like someone who would be cool to hang out with.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I've been working on some basic definitions for interactive media, and I took a break to search the web for writing regarding the need and criteria for such a discourse. I also asked selectbutton, but they laughed at me. Anyway, I didn't really find what I wanted, and most of what I did find regarding the need for this language made me angry due to its laziness and small-mindedness, especially since they seemed well-intentioned. I did find one article that I thought was excellent, however. It's a very well-stated and thorough state-of-the-medium sort of thing, articulating the need for industry and academic cooperation.

Anyways, I've been seriously thinking about things and haven't come up with much. I've been tossing a few ideas around, but nothing like what you were looking for. What I did recently run across was this:

http://www.gamestyleguide.com/

Which one can only hope might expand on some of the things you were talking about. They mention "complete guide to game criticism" and I hope that ends up as true. I've requested a free copy of it, and if I get it I will keep you posted on what it says.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Intern, you should check out Trigger Happy by Steven Poole. I'm so not kidding.

I just picked this up at the GDC book store, so I hope it's good.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it; a lot of people don't. Actually, I don't think I've ever met anybody who felt as positively about it as I do.

We'll see how it does for you!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few quotes from it, which was why I got it. They were good quotes.

klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I've read a few quotes from it, which was why I got it. They were good quotes.

Dude I used to work with gave me his copy. I judged it by its cover and it's around here somewheres. Is it good?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
I judged it by its cover and it's around here somewheres. Is it good?

It's funny that the cover/name is what kept me from it what kept me from the book for a while. I mean, who wants to read a book with a screenshot from Carrier on the cover?

nICO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigger happy is worth reading. nothing amazing and already outdated, but better then almost every other videogame book on my shelf. the only exception being alexander galloway's gaming.

the main problem i had with trigger happy was simply that it didn't make me think much. it was too easy...too obvious. it was like an extended magazine article that drags on a little too long. i don't regret reading it and guardedly recommend it to interested people, but i also don't feel like i learned a damn thing from it.

galloway's book infuriates me and i even disagree with the basic premise. i think it's a better book, though, because it did make me think. i ended up disagreeing, but it helped clarify some of my own views.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m about halfway through the book thanks to the airport.

The description of it being a magazine article that goes on a bit too long is pretty apt. It’s pretty amazing finding out all this stuff that I write/think about was written about 7 years ago (though I can’t believe that he introduced the word “sneak-em-up” as a genre…).

I have to say that the best part about the book is seeing what has/hasn’t been applied to study/theory/design since then. It’s kind of like Nintendo looked heavily at his input section.

It’s not bad, and no where near as dated as I expected it to be, but it is dated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: