The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Pengel, Graffiti Kingdom, Amazing Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Magic Pengel, Graffiti Kingdom, Amazing Island Reply with quote

Lately I've been thinking about games derived from the work of Takeo Igarashi:
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/
Sounds like the guy has his a laboratory named after him!
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/
(Is that kind of naming more common in Japan? Or is it possibly more like a common name in Japan?)

Anyway, his cool idea is a program called Teddy, how you can do a fun rough form of 3D modeling by sketching 2D shapes.

I think his idea first got put into game form in "Magic Pengel". The monster creation was a lot of fun, but while you could take your creation out for a hop, combat was Pokemon-ish Rock/Paper/Scissors, and so some of the physicality was lost.

Currently I'm turning back to Graffiti Kingdom. At first glance, this is a tragically flawed game. The editor is a bit more engineery and less intuitive than Pengel, but maybe more powerful. And combat is physical, even if a bit button-mashy.

But there are significant flaws everywhere in the game, from the way menus work in the attack and movement editor, to how the camera control is backwards, to terrible, terrible kiddy storyline and writing. Which is funny, because the production values are pretty high.

(Some critters made in the editor, I guess it is pretty powerful! http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/halfbaked7777/ )

On Takeo Igarashi's page I saw there was also a GC game, Amazing Island, which got mixed reviews but was too cheap on half.com to pass up. Haven't received it yet.

Still the first time I played Pengel, it was a revelation. Having a sketched creature come to 3D life was amazing.

Conceptually, if nothing else, these games are worth checking out.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you say it's worth tracking down Magic Pengal even if I already have Grafitti Kingdom and have basically no interest in the actual gameplay portions of either?

I can't stand to actually play Grafitti Kingdom, but building creatures is awesome, and I greatly appreciate that they let you do it right off the bat, as much as you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: