The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WarioWare Smooth Moves, esp 9volt: SOME SPOILERS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: WarioWare Smooth Moves, esp 9volt: SOME SPOILERS Reply with quote

So I got Smooth Moves.

It's decent. I'm a little bummed that it's closer to a GBA WarioWare than the GC version in terms of sorta lackluster multiplayer support. Sometimes I almost think Nintendo is trying too hard to seperate WarioWare from Mario Party.

It's interesting that the Wiimote is by and large a superset of all the Nintendo handhelds' controls, including the DS... like with Mario Party, you find yourself wishing for a kind of "Ultimate" version containing every game from the previous titles, rather than just cameos... though running into the WarioWare twisted microgame set was pretty amusing in a postmodern sort of way.

The minigames (as opposed to the microgames, longer challenges that you gradually unlock) are fairly compelling and innovative, especially the one where you have to catch and balance lightly physic-y blocks... very nice and Zen. But I find myself longing for the "toys" of Twisted; I think that remains the champ of the series, especially considering it's such an elegant and imaginative use of what is essentially a single mechanic.

Some of the microgames are such that you don't know what exactly the controller is reading... but in practical terms, it's good to figure out when you actually need to be pointing at the sensor bar. I still kind of long for "honest" 3D triangulation with the controllers, I don't know if that's feasible though, just because of the physics and limts of timing circuitry involved.

As always, it's 9volts retro-levels that I find the most compelling. There's just something about the slicing and dicing of previous titles that I find very compelling, kind of a reward for being a Nintendo player for 2 decades or so. Especially because the Wii is powerful enough to excerpt GameCube and N64 titles...

Still, the crowning glory of 9volt for Smooth Moves has to be the Star Fox boss level. The boss waving around a Nintendo lightgun is just too cute... and I think the control scheme is much closer to where Miyamoto et al wanted it to go. (Side thought: could there be a market for VC-ish remixes of old titles, improving the control scheme when it makes sense to?) I was bummed in 2 ways by the sound effects; one is while they got the communicator beep-in noise they don't have the character's gibberish-speak, and I would have loved to hear that announcer ghosty "Good Luck" in it.

So, a good game, and culturally/design/wacky compelling for casual gamers in a way Wii Sports isn't...closer to Rayman in that regard. Still I'm waiting for multiplayer to really kick into gear on this system. Wii Tennis, that one Rayman sliding / curling battle, and a few Monkey Ball games (quite a few of which sound better on paper than in person) are the only justification for having 4 Wii-motes at this time. (And then I gotta figure out if I can buy "Play" without getting a Wiimote...)
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WarioWare Smooth Moves, esp 9volt: SOME SPOILERS Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I still kind of long for "honest" 3D triangulation

all 3d triangulation is a lie!

anyway, i'm surprised and a bit disappointed that this isn't more multiplayer-friendly, given how multiplayer-oriented the wii is. the pass-around-the-controller mode from the gamecube title would be just dandy, but i suppose you can improvise one.

so this is out now, huh? i suppose i ought to buy it (or suggest to my parents that they buy it) (so i can play it on their wii) (hey it's not like they don't like the series too). i realize my warioware article still hasn't been printed and now it's outdated. hopefully i'll get the chance to play this game soon and can addend it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WarioWare Smooth Moves, esp 9volt: SOME SPOILERS Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
I still kind of long for "honest" 3D triangulation

all 3d triangulation is a lie!

anyway, i'm surprised and a bit disappointed that this isn't more multiplayer-friendly, given how multiplayer-oriented the wii is. the pass-around-the-controller mode from the gamecube title would be just dandy, but i suppose you can improvise one.

Yeah, and there are multiplayer modes (that you have to unlock), but they seem more turn-based. I'd love that toppling turtle game wrapper.

But even on the GC, 4 players doing something on screen at once was rare. Again, it seems like market segmentation, WarioWare isn't allowed to throw in cheap and cheerful head to head to head to head games, except for stuff like "choose which player" w/ the turtles.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god do I want this game ;_;

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WarioWare Smooth Moves, esp 9volt: SOME SPOILERS Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
But even on the GC, 4 players doing something on screen at once was rare. Again, it seems like market segmentation, WarioWare isn't allowed to throw in cheap and cheerful head to head to head to head games, except for stuff like "choose which player" w/ the turtles.

well, the first warioware has a bunch of two-players-on-one-gameboy versus games (which were pretty good). twisted has one too. so i dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess, out of curiosity did this article of yours talk about rhythm tengoku at all? because popular appreciation for twisted notwithstanding, now that i've finally played rt it feels more like warioware than any of the sequels, and i like it almost as much.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WarioWare Smooth Moves, esp 9volt: SOME SPOILERS Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

well, the first warioware has a bunch of two-players-on-one-gameboy versus games (which were pretty good). twisted has one too. so i dunno.

Oh, yeah. So it's not verboten verboten, just... I dunno, under-emphasized.

I have this idea for a "dream party game" called "Block Party"...
super simplistic graphics, 2D and pixely, or 3D and cubic, but with some kind of open API letting people add in minigmes.

And an emphasis on QUICk turnaround between games... hardly anyone enjoys unskippable victory screens and toruney results and game selection and rules review all with their own loadtime etc, people want to play the hell out of these things with a minimum of downtime.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
dess, out of curiosity did this article of yours talk about rhythm tengoku at all?

yes.

in fact, i think it might be the only actual warioware sequel. all the other warioware titles are (i argue) the same game reconfigured for a different input device. (if all of the warioware titles are the same game, though, twisted is the best-tuned version.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Ethoscapade wrote:
dess, out of curiosity did this article of yours talk about rhythm tengoku at all?

yes.

in fact, i think it might be the only actual warioware sequel. all the other warioware titles are (i argue) the same game reconfigured for a different input device. (if all of the warioware titles are the same game, though, twisted is the best-tuned version.)

Well, that makes sense.
Do you attempt any kind of categorizations of microgames, esp. across input devices?
There are definitely some recurring themes of gameplay...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say each iteration of the series is made up in equal parts of games which are common to the series (haircut, push-ups, weightlifter) refitted for the new input device and games which were made just because they were so logical given that particular input device (gravity-altering games in twisted). though frequently the latter games will be added to the former category in a subsequent release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'd say each iteration of the series is made up in equal parts of games which are common to the series (haircut, push-ups, weightlifter) refitted for the new input device and games which were made just because they were so logical given that particular input device (gravity-altering games in twisted). though frequently the latter games will be added to the former category in a subsequent release.

Didn't some of he old games have a character whose microgames featured photorealistic scans?
I think I've seen one screenshot of a microgame I haven't seen yet that used a photo as a backdrop, and the effect is really striking... it's too bad one of the characters here don't show that (or maybe I just wasn't paying attention?)
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the multiplayer work?
aerisdead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly, you take turns.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear there's a two-player game in WW:SM featuring two runners running down a track, who I think are shackled together somehow. You each control a different runner, one player holding the nunchuck and one holding the remote. Each has to jump when their runner nears a pothole. Looks fun!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Oh god do I want this game ;_;

Watching videos on gametrailers.com, I noticed they took out the annoucer naming each form to hold the controller in (had they left the japanese in I would die) which makes me kind of sad but not enough that I don't still totally want this game very very much.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I liked the announcer. Apparently they got a Canadian guy to do it, in Japanese. It made me feel like I was watching a fucked up TV show. A bit like Tetra's Trackers.

Doods. Tetra's Trackers is amazing so you know. It's a show you watch on TV and it's a Zelda game at the same time. There's really nothing else I've seen like it that mixes those two entertainment mediums in such an amazing and successful way.

Having said that no-one would ever play it with me twice because they didn't understand it and found it the most baffling experience of their lives.
david

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Wario Ware a couple days ago and I find it distinctly less charming than the two Game Boy games (haven't played the DS or Cube versions).

First, the handheld games had this really charming campy toy-ness to them. It was partially to do with the scale. On the TV, all the wackiness is just too big and noisy for me. The movies for each character were always kind of cute before, but now I feel like I'm watching an inane, bombastic kid's show. It doesn't help that the first time through you can't skip them --- the first fifteen minutes I spent with the game were mostly taken up with watching dumb movies! The introductions of the forms slow things down even more. Yeah, I know they have to make each one understood, but it was another super-smug-in-its-wackiness thing I had to watch when I wanted to play. And they're deliberately sluggish, with that droning voice. It reminded me of the "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy" thing they used to do on Saturday Night Live, but not funny (correct me if I'm wrong to remember Deep Thoughts as funny).

The inclusion of so many forms is a good way to use the remote's versatility, but it also compromises one of Wario Ware's best gimmicks, namely how it uses very simple and restricted inputs to perform a huge range of actions that one would normally never expect to find in a video game. The original game was a brilliant and affectionate tribute and testament to video games as a form, suggesting in its manic way that anything was possible. In Smooth Moves, the player's vocabulary is vastly expanded, so there isn't the same wit found in doing a lot with a little. Beyond that, it's often very predictable what game will show up once the form is announced. I know if it shows me the "discard" form (which instructs you to put the controller down and pick it up at the right moment), it's probably going to be the microgame where you answer the phone. The microgame collection is effectively split up into all these categories, making the selection feel far less diverse and surprising.

Finally, the controls are inconsistent. There's a form which might be called The Dumbell, or something else, but basically you hold your fist out palm-up like you're going to lift a dumbell. And sure enough, there's a microgame where you do just that. I lifted that thing three times and it only registered the first! I'm moving my arm, and nothing is happening on the screen! I'm staring at a totally static drawing of an arm, not moving. I'm going to give the hardware the benefit of the doubt and assume I was maybe lifting faster than I was supposed to. But there's nothing in the game to tell me that! Another example: one of the boss levels has you deflecting katana slashes with your own sword, Red Steel-style. The form is "The Boxer," which means hold your fist out in front of you, remote perpindicular to your arm, palm down. As soon as the game starts, though, the arm on the screen, holding a sword, is rotated the other way, palm up! And when I turn my wrist, the movement is very inconsistent. The arm on the screen "pops" from a palm-up position to palm-down, like it has no idea which way I'm holding the controller. If I hadn't lost that game four or five times already, it would be less annoying.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
it was another super-smug-in-its-wackiness thing I had to watch when I wanted to play. And they're deliberately sluggish, with that droning voice. It reminded me of the "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy" thing they used to do on Saturday Night Live, but not funny (correct me if I'm wrong to remember Deep Thoughts as funny).

I actually like the way they introduce the form baton instructions.

Anyways, yeah, this is a step up from Touched!, but still not as good as the first two GBA games.

Dave, if you think that the way they show the form in Smooth Moves takes away from the confusion of figuring out what to do: the DS game doesn't even bother to change up the forms inside each set of games. Each stage is all the same kind of movement/input and most are the exact same game with a different skin. In that respect, they could have just had all mini-games from each section be the same use of the Form Baton making it even worse.

So, yeah, I like it after only playing with it for 30 min. I already failed to get to a boss once (which never happen in Touched! aside from the last stage). It's not on the level of the first two games but it is better than either the DS or GC games. I don't like how often you need to aim at the sensor as it feels like many of the games that use the sensor don't need it.

Also, "pong block tower," or what ever it is called, is really fantastic. Seriously. They seem to have made the unlockable "games" more like full games rather than "endless" minigames or "toys" (god were the toys terrible). I like this!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the toys are brilliant. providing we're talking about twisted.

my father imed me this morning to say he bought this game off amazon, so i guess i'll be playing it soon.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that each set of minigames (per character) would have a different control form because I've only played Touched and as Shaper said, they are all virtually the same.

I am still eagerly anticipating this game!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the toys are brilliant. providing we're talking about twisted.

OH! No, actually I mean Touched!, which as you know they aren't brilliant.

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, "pong block tower," or what ever it is called, is really fantastic. Seriously. They seem to have made the unlockable "games" more like full games rather than "endless" minigames or "toys" (god were the toys terrible). I like this!

Does Pong Block Tower have an end? I dig how it's not the same course every time.

The slower paced catching game is quite nice too.

I did like a few of the toys in Twisted though! But I especally loved... I dunno, "Apple Hun" maybe? Kind of like the old Apple II "sabotage" game. I really wish that had made a return...

Still I do think "software toys" are underrated.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "each character is based around a different mechanic" thing is actually really smart, the games in touched are just too similiar. in twisted (which is the first warioware to organize them like that) it works wonderfully, partially because of the strength of the mix games that become available at the end.

apple hun is excellent. that's one of the smartest things twisted does, i think: make the more compelling five-second microgames available as longplay score- or endurance-based games. also, laser cat.

and the record-scratching is pretty cool. though the best part about the records is listening to the mona pizza song.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
dmauro wrote:
How does the multiplayer work?

Mostly, you take turns.

For real? Sad
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How premodern.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega & kirkjerk wrote:
apple hun

Umm, so I guess I didn't spend enough time with the game to get this. I beat everything and got exceptionally bored going for the medals in the game. What unlocks this?
dessgeega wrote:
the "each character is based around a different mechanic" thing is actually really smart, the games in touched are just too similiar. in twisted (which is the first warioware to organize them like that) it works wonderfully, partially because of the strength of the mix games that become available at the end.

I guess that it works so well I never even noticed it! Seriously, until you just said it I forgot this was how the game was setup. I really loved Twisted! and thought that SM would be similarly excellent just based on the input device.

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
How premodern.

Yeah, but a WarioWare tradition...

Like we implied, in its handheld varieties, WarioWare is a single player game, plus a few novel 2-people-on-one-GBA additions.

Even the very popualar WarioWare for GC, a multiplayer wrapper to the original's minigames, is largely about people taking turns. The exception being some times when all 4 players play the same game split screen fashion (like in the "dance compeition" mode, this happens every 10 or something rounds) and in the "select who plays the actual microgame" minigames, in which case all 4 players participate in a single simultaneous game, about half of which don't actually engage that much interaction.

Haven't played the multiplayer mode yet for the Wii version.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega & kirkjerk wrote:
apple hun

Umm, so I guess I didn't spend enough time with the game to get this. I beat everything and got exceptionally bored going for the medals in the game. What unlocks this?

First off, just to be clear, "Apple Hun" is a typo for "Apple Hunt" that I made (after looking it up but now going right to the source it appears that's the Japanese name, and the American title is Apple Assault.) and Dess emulated. ("Apple Hun" would pretty great, though, see the game as warding off the apple barbarians at the gate...)

To answer your question:

looking at the Japanese-based FAQs, I think it's beating Wario-Man's stage, and then seeing/clearing "Wee Wario Blast", which is about 9th back, going counterclockwise.

So, a little gamer love for Apple Assault:

This game is likely some coder's labor of love, because it's more detailed and polished than it properly needs to be.

The core of the game is based on an old Apple II game Sabotage (There's also this old CGA PC port Paratrooper that was my introduction to it... also a version on some iPods, but if memory serves is just a barebones stripped down version)

In this game, paratroopers rain down on your almost constantly firing cannon... you can shoot them w/ your freely rotating fixed position gun, you can shoot their parachutes so that they plummet, you can shoot the helicopters dropping them off so the shrapnel rains down on them (which is the best way to clear out troopers on the ground, and once enough build up there, you're hosed, though the PC version at least had a secondary "heavy bullets" mode that would let you chuck bullets that might land on their heads... spurtastic, that was, nicely physics-y for an older game.) This game was impressive back in the day in a Robotron-y way, just able to fill the screen with enemies.

Apple Assault starts with that core (heh), except your cannon is in the lower left, and firing a constant stream of mini-Warios. Your enemies are mostly very cute apple guys (TANGENT: RStevens, of Diesel Sweeties fame, has an avatar (viewable here) that looks a lot like these guys... he says he doesn't know quite where it's from... any idea?) You can't shoot their parachutes seperately, but each takes 2 hits (the first just slows 'em down) If they get too near your base, there's a grace period w/ a warning buzzer as they ready the dynamite to blow you up. Also, sometimes they land to the right of you and start walking to the left... and sometimes a kamikaze guy comes charging as fast as he can.

Then, there are also larger, bomb-headed guys that add a different mechanic... throwing two Warios on them just freezes them, and then pressing A blows' em up. Blowing up a big bomb guy "bakes" any of the little apple guys, and they go running away, and landing Warios on them as they run is probably the best way to get bonus points.

So there are different distinct groups (unlike Sabotage's homogenous endless assault) and sometimes even flight formations, and it has that "different nearly every time" thing that you see in the Smooth Move pong tower game. The PC version could go on forever, if you didn't mind a mediocre score (bullets cost points) ...Apple Assault is tough but never feels cheap, which is an admirable trait.

I think there are some other details I'm forgetting about and haven't done well enough to see again... actually, that level of depth is one thing stopping me from trying to port this to Java or similar, I'm sure I'd miss something...

When my GF ripped out the cart and zapped my savegame, this was the reason I took it back up and started clearing microgames again.

Going for 100% Souvenirs is super annoying though... it would be OK even if some were as repetitive and redundant as they are, but then you start getting these STUPID "phone numbers" to dial which aren't even something to interact with or look at, just to listen to. (And given my preaching on how "novel interaction" is what makes gaming worthwhile, well, it sucks.)

One final WarioWare note, I had mixed feelings when I realized how much of the design feel of WarioWare is actually more how Wario has been treated lately, like in his own platformers, than invented fresh for these brilliant microgame conglomerations, like the color work, and a lot of the sound effects and incidental voices.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the phone numbers are great.

i've gotten 100% completion (minus the final unlockable) on both the japanese and american versions of twisted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the final unlockable in Twisted?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think the phone numbers are great.

Hmm.

Well, I generally respect Dess' opinion so let me take another look as long as I got the GBA out...

Ok, the dialing mechanic is cute.

Let me try and guess a #... 5555... nope...1234, ok there we go.

Wait, it's just TEXT? Not even a sound clip??

C'mon, how can you be as happy to receiver a little bit of text than a moderately clever intern could run up by the dozens in half an hour, as opposed to some sort of gadget or gizmo which at *least* will have a new graphic to look at?

And not only that, but you could (well, theoretically) have 10,000 phone #s! It's so annoying to get phone # after phone # when what you want are new Souvenirs. How do you gauge how many of the damn phone #s you "collected"?

Not that you have to defend something that's just an opinion, but why do you see 'em as "great" and not just "annoying filler"?

(I sat and got a little better at Apple Assault... I had forgotten there's a kind of boss character there, though I wasn't able to kill him, just wound him. Then the apples turned green... do further waves have more different colors? Are there any other surprises in there?)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only get phone numbers after you've exhausted all possible toys you can get from a character. so don't think of them as poor substitutes for rewards so much as a never-ending source of easter eggs. it's a much better alternative to the machines just drying up and never giving anything else.

some of them are pretty cute, funny and / or unnerving.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Smooth Moves ended both better and worse than I expected.

It was shorter than both GBA games it seemed, but that's ok because the ending isn't the "end" as much as it is just letting you know when the other stuff starts. You get two more characters after the end which just don't use the standard rules, so it made sense where they put the credits.

I think there are only six games to unlock, which is quite disappointing because some of them I don't want to play very long, if at all. Two of them are very great though and will get a lot of time out of me.

Then the game both shines and mocks itself with the thrilling (Green Elephant) tower because it removes the intro instruction of how to hold the "form baton" and works so much better for it. I wasn’t on board with the complaints about showing the forms until the game showed me that the whole game could be done w/o them.

Also the Smooth Moves/Rhythm Tengoku Wii thread (the movie) ruins the end of the game, and arguably the best boss/micro game: Don’t go to that thread.

The worst offense of the game is that they removed medals. After unlocking all the towers (easier than I thought it would be) I went in to start medaling and… I can’t seem to see how to do it.

The game is a step up from Touched! for sure, but no where near the original two GBA games. This game feels like a brief touch with something that could have been good/better. Arm wrestling your Mii friends is fantastic (I beat tablesaw last night), but the pseudo-real graphics at points really stand out as the opposite of what the series is aiming at. The removal of the form positions would have made this game really good, and the inclusion of medals would have extended the game beyond a two evening affair, but as it stands the game isn’t all that great.

So, it’s final, I’m going to have to import Rhythm Tengoku.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medalling just did not work in the warioware games. who wants to play each of a hundred microgames twenty times in a row just to unlock a single toy? it works in rhythm tengoku mostly because the individual stages there are the game, not just five-second fragments of one, and partly because you unlock lots of different stuff over the course of medalling the entire game, so rewards are frequent rather than distant.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
medalling just did not work in the warioware games. who wants to play each of a hundred microgames twenty times in a row just to unlock a single toy? it works in rhythm tengoku mostly because the individual stages there are the game, not just five-second fragments of one, and partly because you unlock lots of different stuff over the course of medalling the entire game, so rewards are frequent rather than distant.

Wario Ware could have easily adopted this system of reward. It just dropped it all together rather than try it would seem.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that solution requires making a lot of additional content. and it still doesn't solve the fact that these games which are meant to be randomly strung into an ongoing test of recognition and reflexes just aren't interesting individually, repeated over and over twenty times.

i think it might be best that they just dropped it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

I liked how you could just set down the GBA for the touched "Don't Move!" egg challenge.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also the Smooth Moves/Rhythm Tengoku Wii thread (the movie) ruins the end of the game, and arguably the best boss/micro game: Don’t go to that thread.

Err, I think I've beat the single player mode; what thread are you talking about?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of this game now! But I still don't have a Wii. ;_;
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Err, I think I've beat the single player mode; what thread are you talking about?

view at own risk:
http://www.gamersquarter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1507

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i've been playing warioware wii. i just cleared (SPOILERS) jimmy p.!!!! initial impressions:

i've been playing sitting down, since the vast majority of the games don't seem to care whether i'm sitting or standing. then every so often a game will come up that assumes i'm standing, and i will usually flounder. i guess i should try playing standing, but it seems needless for most of the game.

the games i've unlocked so far are really great. the tower game is very nice (though i suspect i would have preferred some ongoing stacking-ever-higher game to a stage-based one) and barrel shooter is fantastic (when you get the lock-on powerup it's panzer dragoon wii again). i like tower tennis a lot. it's sort of like an auto-scrolling devilish with gravity. or just scrolling arkanoid.

the form cards are fabulous. they are really good. and jimmy t.'s movie is adorable, as well the parallel later on. i like the way the game integrates miis (particularly my own). i don't like that mona went from rock star to cheerleader (or that her boss stage is gender roles: the game).

"it's a wii, wario" is still the most clever fucking thing ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i don't like that mona went from rock star to cheerleader (or that her boss stage is gender roles: the game).

I thought she ran a pizza place.

Yeah, the cheerleadingness left a lot to be desired, but the microgame intermezzo for that level kind of rocks.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've now unlocked everything except the very last thing.

okay, playing standing up is a lot better. though a lot of games don't seem to require it, by the end they come often enough to justify being on your feet. the game really comes together once you've unlocked all the games - it's the diversity of play mechanics that really makes the game work. that's why i disagree that the mix which doesn't give you a form demonstrates that the game would work better without them - most of the more interesting / amusing forms in the game don't appear in it.

yes, the final boss is amazing. the kelerometer is great too.

best staff roll ever. and the music hall is fabulous.

and balloon trip. ballon fight theme remix and videogame sunset are both things that i live for. there are only six (i'm assuming) unlockable games in this warioware, but they're all excellent.

and "strike a pose" is the best between-level interlude in the series so far. so this is a strong episode in the series. i havn't tried multiplayer yet, but i probably will soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've now unlocked everything except the very last thing.
and balloon trip. ballon fight theme remix and videogame sunset are both things that i live for. there are only six (i'm assuming) unlockable games in this warioware, but they're all excellent.

Err, which very last thing (spoiler warning if needed not that I care...)

videogame sunset? like embedded in balloon trip?

rounds of balloon trip kind of take a while though it's a clever 3Dization.
david

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I was overly harsh with this game before. It's about what I should have expected. I still find the handheld versions more charming, but this game is all right. It's definitely better with a friend... I confess I'd been playing it by myself in an irritable mood... not exactly ideal conditions!

The controls for some games still seem really unreliable. Maybe it's just a problem of the design not giving me all the info I need to execute something properly, so it doesn't work and I'm just sitting there like a fool going, "but I fucking WAS swinging it like a baton!!!"

As much as the Wii remote can enhance the connection to the game, when it fails, it fails big time. There's a much smaller difference between hitting a button and getting no response than flailing your arm around and getting no response.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also: the swordfighting boss makes me want a swordfighting wii game.

and: the "drop" game is wonderfully psychological. it can be really hard to let go. and is a really good deterrent to not wearing the wrist strap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
As much as the Wii remote can enhance the connection to the game, when it fails, it fails big time. There's a much smaller difference between hitting a button and getting no response than flailing your arm around and getting no response.

Yeah, the degrees of freedom the Wiimote gives you, in lieu of "true 3D tracking", takes a bit to get used to, and beyond knowing each form, you have to get a feel for what kind of sensor is being used (e.g.. is it important to keep the sensor bar position in mind...) and sometimes even shake off a few guesses in how the control is modeled.. like the rolling pikmin bug, if you try to map the angle of the bug to the angle of the controller in a 1-to-1 way it just leads to frustration.

Oh, and Wario adds YET ANOTHER WAY TO PAUSE THE GAME, (-) and (+) together. So there's (+), (+) but it doesn't work til you hold it for a while (monkeyball) and now this. Though there's the way home will freeze most games to. Still, between that and menu naivigation, I wish Nintendo had put down some ground rules.

(Random question...I swear I thought I saw my aunt navigation the main Wii menus (or maybe just inside of WIi sports??) using just the crosspad and button, not the pointing hand, but I'm never able to duplicate that (which would be useful in starting, say, ExciteTruck)... am I remembering wrong?)
david

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can navigate the Wii Sports menus with the cross pad if the cursor isn't on the screen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
You can navigate the Wii Sports menus with the cross pad if the cursor isn't on the screen.

Huh. It's kind of dumb that you can't navigate the main Wii menus like that.
Or, conversely, that you can't navigate stuff like Excitetruck w/ the pointer.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing this for the last four hours and I really like it.

I think the form introductions are hilarious. They have that deadpan tranquility (like the main character from Perfect Hair Forever) that totally cracks me up.

I can see where the control issues that others were having come from, but really they've mostly been limited to a few specific minigames for me. There are a few where I'm not quite sure what movement I'm making is corresponding to the action on the screen, but when I went back and played them again most made more sense.

I am sad there is no more Mona Pizza but at least she's still driving the kickass scooter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: