The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phantom Brave: or, why I thought I'd hate srpg's but don't
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk makes me want to get Ratchet and Clank, now. When I first saw it, I immediately thought "Jet Force Gemini."

. . . . .

In ^TOLLMASTER^'s twisted world, this is a Very Good Thing.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the first one if you don't see yourself playing through all three games.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue an old vein from this thread I found this: 'Making a Case for Short Games'.

I have not read it yet, but it seems to state some good points about game length in the synopsis.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
To continue an old vein from this thread I found this: 'Making a Case for Short Games'.

I have not read it yet, but it seems to state some good points about game length in the synopsis.

That article deserves a thread unto itself.

The point I feel the author was making, and correct me if you think I'm wrong, is that there is a place for one-sitting gaming experiences where only a small time investment is required to complete said experience. I'm playing through FFX right now, and if you asked me how it was, I'd have to respond "I don't know enough about it yet" even while I sit on the 40 hour mark. The plot, I feel, will blossom towards the end, and the sphere grid system will become more exciting when I get the chance to play around with it with the special spheres. Nethack, on the other hand, can be played during this theoretical "lunch break" I keep hearing about. You can dive down 5 levels, get killed by a kobold while trying to dual-wield, and find a ring that made you hungry on the way. It's less taxing on the mind as an experience, and more convienent to play when you only need a distraction, not an opera.

The important point which the author should have emphasized more is that shorter games need to provide a unique experience each time. Nethack wouldn't have the popularity it has if there were not random events that keep the game fresh. FFX doesn't need that variety since it's made to be played once, and for a long time. Nethack, in one perspective, isn't a "short" game, in that it's actually a chain of longer experiences, each with a unique twist. When I talk about "short" games, I mean ones that don't provide enough content or challenges to the player in order to provide either one good long experience or several short ones. And to make this Nippon Ichi related, Makai Kingdom decided to go with completely random dungeons in ALL levels, including the story-based ones. At first I saw this as an odd decision, but given that it is a short (20 hour) game made to be played at least twice, the choice makes sense.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
The important point which the author should have emphasized more is that shorter games need to provide a unique experience each time.

I realize we're in an SRPG thread, but I think you need to differentiate between reason-based and skill-based games with this statement. In terms of story-based RPG/Adventures and the like, you're probably right; I'm not likely to go replay KotOR/whatever in the same mode as the initial playthrough when there are others to choose from. But at the same time you have the whole Shooter and Rhythm genres(as well as some Racing games), which are largely scripted and, at higher skill levels, are all about memorization and perfect execution. That style of play may not appeal to the same audiences as story-based games have, but it's equally absorbing (probably moreso, really) to those who participate in it.

It makes me think though; would you classify Tetris as "the same" every time you play it? I certainly don't go into a game of it thinking I'll get anything other than the same 7 shapes falling down the screen one at a time, but the order does change every time I play it. If they fell in a scripted order every time, would it change my style of play? Would there be obsessive maniacs on webboards devoted to the "solution" to Tetris?

And on the SRPG front, the new Fire Emblem is coming out soon. I guess in a lot of ways the N1 SRPGs are the anti-FE, but I still love them both.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Honestly I think that shorter is a redeeming quality for RPGs. I wish more would not exceed the 20 hour mark. ... 20 - 30 hours. That would be perfect.

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. ;-) I like shorter, mindboggingly-fantastic games as opposed to good but overly long ones.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic 1: SRPGs

I've been looking for a new one of these since Final Fantasy Tactics. I had thought Disgaea would be the one, but I tried it and was put off by its attempts at humor. Perhaps I judged it too quickly. I never reached a battle, unless those penguins count. Anyway, I liked how FFT took itself seriously, even if some aspects were unintentionally funny.

Last weekend, I was on the verge of starting FFT again, but I thought that there must be some other SPRG out there that I'd like. After some research, I narrowed it down to Phantom Brave and Growlanser: Generations. In the end, I went with Growlanser and I'm really enjoying it. After reading this thread, I'll probably get Phantom Brave as well. It's cheap enough to risk it.

Topic 2: Game Length

How long a game lasts isn't really a consideration for me when judging its quality. Some games leave me wanting more, for sure, but that's just because they are excellent, not because they are too short. Rez is a great example of this.

One thing I really can't stand is when a game is "artificially" (for lack of a better word) extended. I've never played a game with random dungeons, but the very idea that they exist annoys me. I'm not sure why it is seen as a positive thing when a game tries to force you to play through again to get a better/"real" ending or some sort of bonus. I have played some games through more than once, but none of them were the the type that offers anything extra for doing so. The game itself is the reward.

I have to mention one exception to this: Shadow of Destiny. This game really deserves to be played through a few times. But that's the very nature of the game, not something that feels tacked on.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should watch Disgaea's attract mode.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I've been looking for a new one of these since Final Fantasy Tactics.

have you played fire emblem games at all?

random dungeons are the best dungeons of all, unless there isn't enough stuff in them to keep them interesting. for an example of the former, see: the greatest game of all time; the latter: lufia: the legend returns.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I never reached a battle, unless those penguins count.

Are you kidding me? The first battle is about 8 minutes into the game, roughly. How long did you play the game for?
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
wourme wrote:
I never reached a battle, unless those penguins count.

Are you kidding me? The first battle is about 8 minutes into the game, roughly. How long did you play the game for?

Not very long. I just saw the part where someone is attacking someone else who is asleep with a bunch of weapons, and then the fighting tutorial. Again, it's quite possible that I didn't give this game the chance it deserves. It mostly just irritated me that it seemed to be a comedy game.

dessgeega wrote:
have you played fire emblem games at all?

No, but Intelligent Systems is behind a lot of my very favorite games, so I probably should. Would it be better to try one of the GBA titles or wait for the GC one? I would like to get some more use out of my GB player. I've had it a long time, and still only have 3 GBA games.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've never played a fire emblem game, the first gba title (the seventh in the series) is a good place to start. since it was the first game released in north america (the first most western gamers would play) it features an extensive introduction to the game's mechanics. once you've played through that, you can pick up any game in the series and understand it.
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Final Fantasy X lately, and the short version of the story goes like this: I hate airships.

The long version is thus: after a certain point in the game, your "pilgrimage" ends, and you get free rein over where you go next. The problem with this is that the game loses its "legendary quest" feel. The entire game, you feel like you're a part of something, but you lose it at the end when the game expects you to find chocobos and race them, or spend time leveling up in the Omega Ruins, or find the "super" summons, or get the legendary weapons. Beowulf was just given his sword, he didn't have to ride a fucking bird around for hours to get it. The problem is, if I just keep going with the plot, I'll be a) losing a part of the gameplay "experience" and b) probably be underleveled for the final bosses.

Why I bring this up is because I think it's interesting that, in contrast, games that don't have this "legendary quest" feeling, and instead are freeform, are ones that I typically enjoy. To use an example from this thread, I enjoy Dark Cloud 2 primarily because of the freedom it offers. You can go fishing if you don't feel like leveling up your weapons, or work on your town if you're not in the mood for dungeons. In fact, I hope Dark Cloud 3 will have even more stuff to do, even if it means that less time is spent on the combat system. WIth this in mind, I'm willing to put out a theory on games:

1. A game can be either freeform, giving the player the opportunity to decide from choices on what to do, or it can "drive" the player along one course or one set of possiblities.

2. A good game knows well which choice it makes, and continues with that choice, in order to not disturb the "feel" of the game.

I'd like some counterexamples. In other words, prove me wrong! Give me a good game where there is a sudden shift from being on a set path to having absolute freedom. The reason I put this in this thread is because I believe many peoples' problems with game length may be because there is a change such as this one, while shorter games have no time for such a change. A lot of people love FF6, but love either the WoB or the WoR, for instance, and that was a "longer" game.

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
The long version is thus: after a certain point in the game, your "pilgrimage" ends, and you get free rein over where you go next. The problem with this is that the game loses its "legendary quest" feel. The entire game, you feel like you're a part of something, but you lose it at the end when the game expects you to find chocobos and race them, or spend time leveling up in the Omega Ruins, or find the "super" summons, or get the legendary weapons. Beowulf was just given his sword, he didn't have to ride a fucking bird around for hours to get it. The problem is, if I just keep going with the plot, I'll be a) losing a part of the gameplay "experience" and b) probably be underleveled for the final bosses.

This is my problem with all Final Fantasy games.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
TOLLMASTER wrote:

This is my problem with all Final Fantasy games.

I can actually understand that. It's just, that, well, Final Fantasy X did the restriction-based gameplay so perfectly, it's natural, I think, to want to go back to that. I've always thought Final Fantasy 6's shining moment was exploring the world again, refinding the characters the plot had given to you nearly effortlessly. FFX, though: It's like getting to what you think is the last chapter in the best book ever, and finding that they're going to prolong the story artificially with boring sidethreads that weren't even hinted at during the main course. I can tolerate sidequests in Nippon Ichi games because it's so much fun, but FFX should have stuck to its stronger points.
wourme

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 did a good job of alternating between linear and freeform structure. Of course, that's just one of the countless things those games did well.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I had a strange experience with FInal Fantasy 9. It took me three years to beat it. I was always very impressed while playing, but it just never held my interest in the long term. I have never figured out exactly why. I played through all the other FF games pretty much non-stop. (Well, except for X2 and 11. Not going near those ones.)

Also, I bought Phantom Brave the other day because of this thread. Well, and because it was only USD20 new. I'll try it as soon as I'm done with Growlanser 3. I'm still working on tracking down a cheap copy of Fire Emblem.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I think that Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 did a good job of alternating between linear and freeform structure. Of course, that's just one of the countless things those games did well.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I had a strange experience with FInal Fantasy 9. It took me three years to beat it. I was always very impressed while playing, but it just never held my interest in the long term. I have never figured out exactly why. I played through all the other FF games pretty much non-stop. (Well, except for X2 and 11. Not going near those ones.)

Also, I bought Phantom Brave the other day because of this thread. Well, and because it was only USD20 new. I'll try it as soon as I'm done with Growlanser 3. I'm still working on tracking down a cheap copy of Fire Emblem.

I'll...have to try this "Dragon Warrior" you speak of. I'm pretty inexperienced in that species. I've played (but no one ever beats) Dragon Warrior 7, and it was linear as...something that goes in a straight line, except for the job classes.

Speaking of job classes, X-2 seemed like a freeform FF5. I'm excited, or I would be, if the game felt like it would be fun longer than the short time I've put into it.

And make sure you put into Phantom Brave at least a few hours. Some people don't "click" with the battle system immediately; I would suggest you give it some time if you don't immediately "get it."
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Tollmaster, I hope you got off your ass and got a copy of Makai Kingdom today. I'll be really disappointed if you didn't. There's even a little art book, but my EB guy couldn't find them so he says he's putting one aside for me to get later.

Shit. Now I'll never get my work done if I spend as many hours on this one as I did on Phantom Brave and Disgaea.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My younger brother just started Phantom Brave three times. Is that normal, TOLLDADDY?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume TOLLMASTER is holed up in a room that's empty except for him, a small tv, and his PS2 with Makai Kingdom.

Wow, I seriously considered calling in to work today. MK is excellent, and changes many of the things I didn't care for in Phantom Brave (ie: the equipment system). I'll write more later on.
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've been playing Phantom Brave the past few days. One thing that I think the game really needs is better documentation. The tutorials only explain things that are common sense and the paper manual is even worse. Maybe they expect you to have played another of their games in the past.

But I'm far enough into the game now that I understand basically what's going on. It was a change to go back to such deliberate battles after the almost RTS battles of Growlanser, but it didn't take long to get used to. Anyway, I like how they designed the battle system, and I'm having fun with the game. Well, aside from a few tries at those random dungeons that resulted in a lot of wasted time.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
Okay, I've been playing Phantom Brave the past few days. One thing that I think the game really needs is better documentation. The tutorials only explain things that are common sense and the paper manual is even worse. Maybe they expect you to have played another of their games in the past.

Nippon Ichi's map designer, whoever the hell it is, likes to throw a curveball every now and then. They'll give you a map where the odds are totally out of your favor, and though you can just power level your way through, there's usually another, easier answer you can find with the tools provided. It just isn't told to you right away.

You may have run into one of those battles, where they only provide a certain kind of confining object, and you have to choose your phantoms carefully based upon what's present in the map. If you've been training a lot of spellcasters on a map full of rocks, you'll have some trouble. It's kind of like how in Vagrant Story there are boss battles to make sure you're building up your weapons effectively (jiji went into this in a bit more detail in the VS thread at insert credit).

Nippon Ichi also likes you to discover things on your own a bit. They don't tell you how bonus points and transmigration works in Phantom Brave, but it's there for you to discover if you want to do it. Same goes with weapon fusion; they want you to try a few times and see what it's like instead of giving you a step-by-step tutorial about it. This is one of the reasons why I said that Phantom Brave doesn't immediately "click" with some people; a little learning time is involved. Actually, my little 9-year old brother picked up a lot of stuff I didn't in the first 5 hours, because he didn't have any preconceptions about how things "should" work. Maybe it's a bit of that as well.

I'll go into Makai Kingdom later. Short version is: if you like Nippon Ichi games, you'll like this. If you're a strategy RPG fan, it's more of a toss-up, in favor of those who like things on the difficult side. If you're just an RPG fan or you didn't like Phantom Brave--well, this isn't the game for you. You can still play it, and even have fun with it, but it's not really designed for you. I would try a rental out first before buying it if you fall into the later category. Toups wouldn't like this game, I think.

I'm having a blast with it, hell, it's probably going to be my favorite game ever when I'm done with it. I was worried I was burning through it too fast, but the difficulty just got ramped up quite a bit, and I'm trying to figure out each map's most effective tactic. There's usually a "trick" to the non-random maps, which really gives this game an element of strategy that I think Disgaea lacked.
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
You may have run into one of those battles, where they only provide a certain kind of confining object, and you have to choose your phantoms carefully based upon what's present in the map.

Actually, my problem was that I didn't understand the numbers when creating random dungeons. Evidently the LV of the enemies doesn't mean what it seems to. A 7 was easy while a 3 killed me before I got a chance to hit. I say the 7 was easy, but in fact I died in that one, too, because my monk got thrown out of bounds immediately after I summoned him ion both levels and I was eventually stuck with only Marona and an enemy she could only hit for 0-1. (It could take about 3 off her, so I evevntually lost.)

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Nippon Ichi also likes you to discover things on your own a bit.

I've thought about it, and I now I think I actually like this aspect of the game. I was just kind of nervous about doing permanent damage so I'd have to start the whole game over (as happened to me with Vagrant Story), but it looks like that won't be the case even if I experiment some. Now, I haven't even come across the terms transmigration or bonus points, so I guess I still have a lot to discover. I've learned about fusion and titles now, though, and I'm having fun with those.

Anyway, I'll quit the tiresome posts now about my experience with the game.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:

Actually, my problem was that I didn't understand the numbers when creating random dungeons. Evidently the LV of the enemies doesn't mean what it seems to. A 7 was easy while a 3 killed me before I got a chance to hit. I say the 7 was easy, but in fact I died in that one, too, because my monk got thrown out of bounds immediately after I summoned him ion both levels and I was eventually stuck with only Marona and an enemy she could only hit for 0-1. (It could take about 3 off her, so I evevntually lost.)

The "level" of the dungeon determines two things: how high the level of the enemies are on the first floor, along with the items, and at what rate the level of the enemies increases the further down you go. I would theorize that either you got deeper into the level 3 dungeon, or you applied a really crappy title to the 7 dungeon. If you want to know some cheap tricks with dungeons, AIM me at LordTOLLMASTER and I can tell you how to level up rather quickly. I won't spoil it for you unless you want me to,, though, since it's kind of fun to discover on your own, and ruins the main game a lot.

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Nippon Ichi also likes you to discover things on your own a bit.

wourme wrote:

I've thought about it, and I now I think I actually like this aspect of the game. I was just kind of nervous about doing permanent damage so I'd have to start the whole game over (as happened to me with Vagrant Story), but it looks like that won't be the case even if I experiment some. Now, I haven't even come across the terms transmigration or bonus points, so I guess I still have a lot to discover. I've learned about fusion and titles now, though, and I'm having fun with those.

Anyway, I'll quit the tiresome posts now about my experience with the game.

First of all, posting is what forums are for! Don't worry about being tiresome, because you're not.

Second, fusion and titles are all you really need to know. Transmigration is for people who really want to get technical with their characters. I would concentrate on the former instead of the latter. If you're going to do after-game stuff, you are served extremely well by your knowledge of fusion and titling and how to abuse them. And, except for missing some meaningless items and not getting a bottlemail early on, there's nothing you can "miss" or damage permanently.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend Makai Kingdom to young children. I never really thought about it until now, but I guess a bunch of rulers of Hell getting together would cause a few choice words to be thrown about. I can't believe this game only got a Teen rating.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
P.S. I wouldn't recommend Makai Kingdom to young children. I never really thought about it until now, but I guess a bunch of rulers of Hell getting together would cause a few choice words to be thrown about. I can't believe this game only got a Teen rating.

I'm surprised it sneaked by with a T. Is there still the flamboyantly gay section to that three part boss?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do realise what is getting the Mature rating tacked on to it right? Hell I was supprised that Batman Begins was PG-13. I mean... one man bites another mans head! That was not a spoiler either, it just kind of happens in the background. I mean, the first Batman was rated R and deserved it less than this one.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, we know the kind of stuff that does get an M rating, but I assumed that it was just a really broad category. Does Ninja Turtles deserve a T?

-Wes
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
TOLLMASTER wrote:

I'm surprised it sneaked by with a T. Is there still the flamboyantly gay section to that three part boss?

-Wes

Yeah, Mickey's still there. He's got to have either the best or the worst voice over ever for a character in a video game, I'm not sure.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, being HOMOS-E-XUAL will typically get your rating bumped up quicker than anything, in any American media.

Does the ERSB actually play through every minute of any given game, or do they just have the developer highlight the most scandalous bits for them and work from that?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they rate off a footage tape provided by the maker.

that's something which will no doubt get changed soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be, but really how in the world could actually having the disc have helped the ESRB find hot coffee? The FBI spent days looking for that stuff before some kid finally happened across the game shark code.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wouldn't; it's just indicative of how shitty the ersb is. the whole thing is a fucking joke, but this is, after all, the age of farce.

- someone bothered to make computerized fucking
- someone bothered to leave it on the disc
- someone bothered to find it
- someone bothered to publicize it
- two people have bothered to file lawsuits over it
- hundreds of media outlets have bothered to cover it

and so on. no wonder i get drunk and weep for the fate of the constitution; it's all pearls before swine, anyway.

regardless i'm a far more combative person than those in the industry are, though i understand their strategy. i think they know that in 10 years they can start doing whatever the fuck they want, once another half cohort passes. and that people will lose interest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
The "level" of the dungeon determines two things: how high the level of the enemies are on the first floor, along with the items, and at what rate the level of the enemies increases the further down you go. I would theorize that either you got deeper into the level 3 dungeon, or you applied a really crappy title to the 7 dungeon. If you want to know some cheap tricks with dungeons, AIM me at LordTOLLMASTER and I can tell you how to level up rather quickly. I won't spoil it for you unless you want me to,, though, since it's kind of fun to discover on your own, and ruins the main game a lot.

I'm still at it, and I'm still having pretty bad luck with those random dungeons. Now, the problem is that they always seem to have one ridiculously difficult level in the middle of a bunch of trivial ones. I can't even call it difficult, really, as it kills me before I get to do anything. I've lost a whole lot of progress to these several times, now. I've turned off the game and said to myself that I'm not going to play it for a while. And then turned it back on a short time later. I guess one of my problems is not leveling up my dungeon monk. Because he is relatively weak, all the enemies go for him first, usually killing him permanently so I just have to hope that I can finish the dungeon. And I never can, unless I make it a super easy one. But that's boring.

It doesn't seem that the random ones are really necessary, though, as long as you play a few of the normal levels more than once. Which I do anyway to collect objects and titles.

TOLLMASTER wrote:
And, except for missing some meaningless items and not getting a bottlemail early on, there's nothing you can "miss" or damage permanently.

I've noticed a few of these items. They are usually in some part of the area that seems impossible to reach or to confine someone in.

I'm still enjoying this game a lot, but I think I'll stay away from SRPGs for a while when I finish it. I had no idea it would be so involved and take me so much time to get through. Maybe because I played Growlaser 2 and 3 recently. Both of those were relatively quick.

Actually, the Growlanser games made me think of the contrast between games that end abruptly and leave you wanting more (as they did for me) and those that you play until you've exhausted pretty much everything they have to offer, and then they end. Of course, a lot of games do have more to do after the ending, but I never do any of it. I guess when the story ends, the game is over for me.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
TOLLMASTER wrote:

I'm still at it, and I'm still having pretty bad luck with those random dungeons. Now, the problem is that they always seem to have one ridiculously difficult level in the middle of a bunch of trivial ones. I can't even call it difficult, really, as it kills me before I get to do anything. I've lost a whole lot of progress to these several times, now. I've turned off the game and said to myself that I'm not going to play it for a while. And then turned it back on a short time later. I guess one of my problems is not leveling up my dungeon monk. Because he is relatively weak, all the enemies go for him first, usually killing him permanently so I just have to hope that I can finish the dungeon. And I never can, unless I make it a super easy one. But that's boring.

It doesn't seem that the random ones are really necessary, though, as long as you play a few of the normal levels more than once. Which I do anyway to collect objects and titles.

I would normally recommend you fusing the dungeon escape skill to Marona, but you sound like you're still early in the game, and it's a high cost skill. Instead, I would check out the enemies before doing each dungeon, and if they're too high, immediately escape. Or create two dungeon monks, if you want to level up one and keep another for escape purposes. I honestly never had much trouble with the dungeons unless I got one of the "special events" like Desperate (god!) and the dungeon bosses. I suggest leaving if you run into those unless you're extremely confident you can win.

Also, random dungeons are there for you to have fun. If you're not the kind of person who likes them, don't do them! I only got serious with random dungeoning after the game was complete.

TOLLMASTER wrote:
And, except for missing some meaningless items and not getting a bottlemail early on, there's nothing you can "miss" or damage permanently.

wourme wrote:

I've noticed a few of these items. They are usually in some part of the area that seems impossible to reach or to confine someone in.

I'm still enjoying this game a lot, but I think I'll stay away from SRPGs for a while when I finish it. I had no idea it would be so involved and take me so much time to get through. Maybe because I played Growlaser 2 and 3 recently. Both of those were relatively quick.

Actually, the Growlanser games made me think of the contrast between games that end abruptly and leave you wanting more (as they did for me) and those that you play until you've exhausted pretty much everything they have to offer, and then they end. Of course, a lot of games do have more to do after the ending, but I never do any of it. I guess when the story ends, the game is over for me.

Those items you couldn't reach had to have someone throw Marona over the edge of the map so she would reappear on the other side. Don't worry, you didn't really miss anything unless you're an extreme completionist.

I'm going to have to try out Growlanser someday. A lot fo SRPG fans have said it's rather good, and to tell you the truth, I'm interested. Any ideas on where I should start?
wourme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I would normally recommend you fusing the dungeon escape skill to Marona, but you sound like you're still early in the game, and it's a high cost skill. Instead, I would check out the enemies before doing each dungeon, and if they're too high, immediately escape. Or create two dungeon monks, if you want to level up one and keep another for escape purposes. I honestly never had much trouble with the dungeons unless I got one of the "special events" like Desperate (god!) and the dungeon bosses. I suggest leaving if you run into those unless you're extremely confident you can win.

Wow, you mean you can eventually transfer those high-cost skills? I think I'm almost done with the game (chapter 17), and I can't imagine ever getting that much mana. I've never broken 10,000 with anyone, and skills like Return are 250,000+

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I'm going to have to try out Growlanser someday. A lot fo SRPG fans have said it's rather good, and to tell you the truth, I'm interested. Any ideas on where I should start?

Growlanser: Generations for PS2 is the one to get (assuming you live in the US. I'm not sure where else it was released). It is actually two complete games, Growlanser 2 and 3. I believe that Growlanser 1 was PSX and Japan-only.

Generations has a normal version and an expensive deluxe version that comes with soundtrack and some little toys and things.

Anyway, I highly recommend those games. G2 is similar to FFT in a lot of ways, but has gridless combat that almost feels like real-time strategy. G3 is closer to a traditional RPG. The battles aren't quite as interesting (a lot more of them are simply "Here are some enemies, fight them" instead of having varied goals as they do in 2), but it's still definitely worth playing.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I know about Growlanser is that the characters are all outrageously gay.

Even the straight ones.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an endorsement then?
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how you feel about outrageously gay characters.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, I've always wanted to make a game, I guess an RPG, where the main character happened to be gay to see what the response would be from gamers and the media. Sort of a challenging stereotypes thing.

I think "outrageously gay" here is a misnomer--gay != flamboyant. Flamboyant = attention whore. Last I checked, there are gay and straight attention whores, and they each garner it in their own ways.

As another side note, I'm completely addicted to Disgaea and am saddened by the fact that I'll only ever scratch the surface. I am proud that I got a, like, 2500 tile combo, though Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: