The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seperate the wheat from the chaff (culling the weak thread)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Seperate the wheat from the chaff (culling the weak thread) Reply with quote

Well this Feb is a big, big month for games in Australia.
The PS2 and DS are going crazy. I ask of you denizens of GQ, to cull the weak and save me some money/time/effort by preventing me from playing and buying shitty games. I am including a DS backlog too, to get some opinions on older DS stuff.

PS2:
KoF XI
Okami
God Hand
FF XII

DS:
Kirby Squeak Squad
Hotel Dusk
Star Fox DS
Yoshis Island 2
Trauma Centre
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2
RE DS
Contact
Castlevania DS 1 and 2 (so DoS and PoR)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

For the DS, if I'm missing stuff, post about it, because after all the DS is region free and Play-Asia has DS games which can be had significantly cheaper in US version.

EDIT: The reason for the DS renaissance is that my I just got my Uni timetable recently, and it involves quite a bit of hanging around on campus waiting for classes to start. Hence, DS becomes a boon. I knew it wasn't a waste of money getting it.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About damn time we got PoR.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut Okami, or rent it and play it for 10 hours until you're well tired of it after the initial splendor wears off. Cut Kirby, Phoenix Wright 2, Star Fox DS. RE DS for historical purposes only. You only want one Castlevania DS, and I'm leaning toward PoR particularly if you played AoS. They're both kind of mediocre, truth be told.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than happy with no Castlevania DS at all.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqeak squad broke my flash card.

it's not very interesting, aside from the squeak squad scenes (one in each stage). the touch screen sort of clutters the game (it's an inventory of use-anytime health-ups and abilities), even though it ties into the squeak squard bits pretty well. too often when you run into an item you'd like to use your inventory is full of fruit and power-ups you've had no need for, and by the time you clear up space the item will have floated off.

contact is trash.

pokemon mystery dungeon is like shiren but boring.
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact is trash, but is it art trash? I've seen Contact divide opinions pretty heavily.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey toto how is that scrapland piece coming along

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
Contact is trash, but is it art trash? I've seen Contact divide opinions pretty heavily.

on yakyak the other day, i wrote:
i thought this game was pretty irredeemable. there's scarcely even any game here; you turn it on and watch your character's stats go up. and if you were expecting otherwise, i'm sorry: the plot goes nowhere. contact tries to pass itself off as clever through some fourth-wall shennanigans, but it never becomes anything more than merely cute. yes, the game self-consciously muses on the distance between player and player character, but a flash game could do as much in five minutes and then i'll have not wasted hours of my life playing progress quest ds.

4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Dess. Well played.
Hey Cycle it is coming along pretty good, but not actually. Sad I really need to get on that.

EDIT: Just bought RE DS for 24.80 AUD on Ebay. I gave myself a budget of 30 AUD for the title, and got it for this price, with express shipping no less!

Last edited by Toto on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Yoshi's Island 2 isn't that hot. It's developed by some third-party who've decided to stick as close to the original game as possible. Everything they've added (new babies, mostly, which you have to swap between like this is DK64) just serves to make things crappier. Definitely not worth it if you've got the original.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sold until "swap between". Stupid idiot Mario 64 DS makes you do that, and I do not appreciate it in the slightest.

EDIT: Bloody hell, the DS is going crazy. Diddy Kong Racing, Winning Eleven DS and Lunar Knights (the Boktai game) were just brought to my attention with a Play-Asia email. Jeez.
EDIT: Also FFVI Advance. Jeeeez.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diddy Kong Racing was pretty crap. It's all about memorizing where all the boost pads are. Hit all the boost pads to win the match! Whee!
Malons

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I hear Yoshi's Island 2 isn't that hot. It's developed by some third-party who've decided to stick as close to the original game as possible. Everything they've added (new babies, mostly, which you have to swap between like this is DK64) just serves to make things crappier. Definitely not worth it if you've got the original.

The original Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time, or at the very least second favorite, and I still enjoyed Yoshi's Island 2 a lot. Sure it doesn't change a lot, but for the most part it's a good follow-up. I thought of it as more of an expansion pak of sorts, if you get what I'm getting at.... yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Diddy Kong Racing was pretty crap. It's all about memorizing where all the boost pads are. Hit all the boost pads to win the match! Whee!

The same could be said of all religions.

What is that a reference to, anyway?

I can't sleep and I'm dissapointed I can't contribute more to this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you enough not to get Yoshi's Island 2. It's fantastically bad in concept, implementation, even in the way it uses the double screen.

Hotel Dusk is pretty good, as long as you understand what you're getting into. Well, except for one puzzle which requires that you trick your DS hardware.

Okami has a whole lot going for it, but a whole lot going against it, too. I can't remember simultaneously loving and hating a game so much. If you could rent it or track it down used, that would be the way to go.

Finally, I don't know what your DS collection looks like, but it's incomplete if it doesn't have Meteos.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Seperate the wheat from the chaff (culling the weak thre Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
The reason for the DS renaissance is that my I just got my Uni timetable recently, and it involves quite a bit of hanging around on campus waiting for classes to start. Hence, DS becomes a boon. I knew it wasn't a waste of money getting it.

Get Trauma Centre and Phoenix Wright 1, definitely. Apart from a strong desire to punch things when you lose a patient in TC, they're excellent. Plus you'll be getting a Med/Law double degree between classes!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Quote:

I mean as opposed to Mario Kart where it's your skill that wins the day, DKR is just a lame-o memory game.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seperate the wheat from the chaff (culling the weak thre Reply with quote

I've got almost all of these, so I'll break it down in order of awesome to least-awesome:

FF XII
Phoenix Wright 1
Trauma Centre
Okami
God Hand
Phoenix Wright 2
Star Fox DS
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Castlevania DS 2
Hotel Dusk
Yoshis Island 2
Kirby Squeak Squad
Castlevania DS 1
Contact

Not sure much commentary is needed except to say that your mileage may vary with stuff like Phoenix Wright, Okami, and God Hand.

Phoenix Wright is amazing if you can see yourself getting into a text adventure, Okami is extremely flawed, but beautiful and innovative enough to nearly make up for it, and God Hand is a really sloppy button masher with a lot of challenge and a lot of heart.

And, well, FFXII is among the best games I've ever played, easily the best Final Fantasy ever, and it would be a disservice to miss out on it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious Budget:
FFXII
God Hand
Trauma Center
and rent Pheonix Wright 1, Hotel Dusk and Okami.

But if you aren't a gamer who's engaged by twitch-reaction-based challenge and systematic perfection, you can leave those latter two off the list. And depending on your feelings on 3D Zelda, Okami may be worth the purchase for sheer amount content alone. Luvcraft wrote some interesting thoughts on it being 3 games compressed into one over on SB. Certainly flawed, but there's lots of worthwhile stuff there too.

I like Portal of Ruin more than Dawn of Sorrows, but I wouldn't call either amazing. If you need a serious DS timesink I guess that's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon from this list, but wouldn't you be better off with something like Meteos really?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me a lot of this song.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Quote:

I mean as opposed to Mario Kart where it's your skill that wins the day, DKR is just a lame-o memory game.

I don't know man, unless you count snaking, Mario Kart always seemed more about luck and dirty tricks to me. Especially DS.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty tricks are more fun than boost pads though.

And less luck than you'd think, too. I got really damn good at item usage when I 100%ed Double Dash in one sitting, and it makes a world of difference be capable offensively and defensively in addition to driving well.
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon is seriously dull, it is like a Rogue-like with all the chaos and cool interactions taken out. (And I'm 22 hrs in). blah.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Now the difficult part is getting a copy of Phoenix Wright 1 for less than full price.
To eBay!

EDIT: Now the most important part of this threa: finding my DS charger.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has been said already, but I don't know that I'd recommend Star Fox DS. It's all right, and the closest to the original formula than has been released in a while, yet it is very repeatitive and the touch screen control never sat quite well with me.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
This thread reminds me a lot of this song.

This reminds me of Transmetropolitan.

Y'know, Dog Culling. And Long Pigs.

I searched all over the Internet and I couldn't find a picture of Spider all dressed up for a culling expedition. Maybe someone else will have better luck. It's damn funny.

--What Would Azathoth Do?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Seperate the wheat from the chaff (culling the weak thre Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've got almost all of these, so I'll break it down in order of awesome to least-awesome:

FF XII
Phoenix Wright 1
Trauma Centre
Okami
God Hand
Phoenix Wright 2
Star Fox DS
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Castlevania DS 2
Hotel Dusk
Yoshis Island 2
Kirby Squeak Squad
Castlevania DS 1
Contact

i have the first three of these, plus the last one.

the ds.. honestly had sort of an unremarkable year. lots of franchise platformers, which i guess were a long time coming, but even if a lot of 2005's best releases were just updates of old franchises (see: meteos as tetris attack, mario kart, tony hawk), canvas curse and ace attorney trounce squeak squad and justice for all any day of the week, and trauma center is terrific, without reservation. contact has some aspects of it that make it feel like shovelware for the monochrome gameboy fifteen years ago (of all things; as if shovelware were even a popular term back then), and in spite (ok, light) of that i kind of really like it.
B coma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YI2 really is a disappointment. (I bought it knowing it would be!)

To give it some credit, some of the regular stages achieve to the standard of the original but they're few and far between, and most of the time the game is totally content to rip off stage concepts wholesale from the original. I'm at world 4 and here are a few of my impressions:

As I expected, the whole baby switching thing is implemented really poorly. You have a few preset stations for switching between the available kids and certain points in the level, but in the end it will either come down to:

A) Find a path that can be traversed only by a certain baby, and backtrack to the station to retrieve it (wash rinse repeat)!

B) practicing your psychic abilities and know which baby you should be because this particular stage is linear and you can't go back to change!

now, most of the time these paths aren't mandatory (they'll usually contain more red coins or a flower or etc) but honestly, unlike the original YI collecting the extra stuff and finding alternate routes is the only thing that makes most of these stages interesting.

Even now I'm perfectly content with running through a stage in the original game and getting a sub-50 score, because the stages themselves were fun set pieces or at least had a lot of thought put into their design - for instance, that one cave bit where you spend the first part of the level stomping all the down through loose dirt to the entrance of the cave, and once you're there you work your way through a circular path until you discover a cleverly placed lift that springs you into the exit. Heck, even if you didn't like that stage, you probably remember exactly what I'm talking about from that description.

Here the stage designs mostly revert to gimmicks - "here's some wind, grab Peach's umbrella!" or "a section with vines, grab DK!". In the end it makes the stages kind of hard to distinguish from each other. There are a couple of highlights (like the stage that is a system of pipes that connect small islands), but in the end, yeah.

Man, and the bosses are pretty bad so far, with the exception of that fish that tries to psyche you out by only being vulnerable when it's trying to eat you. Unfortunately, he was way too easy to kill.
B coma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I think this has been said already, but I don't know that I'd recommend Star Fox DS. It's all right, and the closest to the original formula than has been released in a while, yet it is very repeatitive and the touch screen control never sat quite well with me.

personally, I like the control just fine, but for me it was the fact that theatrics and were totally removed from the playable bits and shoved into silly cutscenes. the pathos + cheese + shooting things! that's kind of what makes a starfox game for me! and yeah, too many samey stages.

heck, imagine how great a remake of the first game would have been with that control setup.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Seperate the wheat from the chaff (culling the weak thre Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
see: meteos as tetris attack

?

Everything B Coma wrote about Yoshi's Island 2 is spot-on. I even think I wrote mostly the same things in a different thread.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:

personally, I like the control just fine, but for me it was the fact that theatrics and were totally removed from the playable bits and shoved into silly cutscenes.

NOOOOOOOOOO

So is this game worth getting or not? Come on, forum hivemind, tell me what to think already.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket Slime.

BUY IT. LOVE IT.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
B coma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
B coma wrote:

personally, I like the control just fine, but for me it was the fact that theatrics and were totally removed from the playable bits and shoved into silly cutscenes.

NOOOOOOOOOO

So is this game worth getting or not? Come on, forum hivemind, tell me what to think already.

you know, Command doesn't really feel like a complete game now that I think about it.

There are basically three types of stages (at least in my two playthroughs of the game) and in every instance they play out very, very similarly to each other throughout the game, save for progressively faster/smarter enemies. The ability to try your hand at different pilots does not change much either, except when it increases the challenge (Slippy can't lock on to enemies, for instance).

I thought the strategy aspect of telling your pilots to go here and there was neat, but even though things were arranged differently each time nearly every planet you visited ended up feeling like a new skin of the previous one. there just not a lot of meat, there!

at least in Starfox:Assault for GC you had a chance to fly into the lion's den a few times. Everything you do in Command feels kind of trivial after a while!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent it, if you can. Or buy it used for very cheap.

I say the same thing about Rocket Slime, it's not that great!
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Rent it, if you can. Or buy it used for very cheap.

I say the same thing about Rocket Slime, it's not that great!

rocket slime's quality is kind of like a chronological bell curve, which is just about the worst thing for any game to be, but damned if i didn't play it for like four hours out of the first evening i had it. it's a lot of fun; not its fault if it constantly convinces you just how much it could be improved upon.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of it more as a ski hill. It starts out really high and is quite exciting but it's all downhill from there.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Rocket Slime! It's pretty good, but it's getting worse.
I bought Trauma Center for 46 dollars.
eBay auction for Yoshi Touch and Go ends soon.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I think of it more as a ski hill. It starts out really high and is quite exciting but it's all downhill from there.

Man, remind me never to go skiing with you, misery guts.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
wrote:

Man, remind me never to go skiing with you, misery guts.

dongle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Rocket Slime.

BUY IT. LOVE IT.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you people played more than the first 20 minutes of rocket slime?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I played it almost nonstop and loved every second.

-seryogin
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lie! You can't have played more than the first 20 minutes because the entire game is the first 20 minutes recycled over and over again!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same could be said of Dragon Warrior VII. Which is also my favorite game ever.

So!

Edit: The same could especially be said of Katamari Damacy, but it's completely adorable the entire time anyway. Just like Rocket Slime!

-seryogin
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
That's a lie! You can't have played more than the first 20 minutes because the entire game is the first 20 minutes recycled over and over again!

Isn't the same true of almost all games? Many aim for the 5 minutes of fun (over and over) Although it is more like five minutes of fun and 15 of filler.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:

cmon, nana! you don't even have the tank until like an hour and a half in!

that's why it's a bell curve. the game's kinda plodding until you get the tank, then somehow the period of the tank being fresh and original and fun coincides perfectly with the level design actually being interesting (see: stages two and three). from then on, they kind of drop off in a sort of alternating tandem.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being pretty late on this, so I'll go into supersaver mode:

Toto wrote:
PS2:
KoF XI*
Okami*
God Hand*
FF XII*

DS:
Kirby Squeak Squad
Hotel Dusk*
Star Fox DS
Yoshis Island 2

Trauma Centre
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2
RE DS
Contact
Castlevania DS 1 and 2 (so DoS and PoR)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

*=
KoF XI: Do you like KOF? Do you think that '03 was a large improvement on the series compared to the striker system of '99 and later? Get this game, it has a progressive scan mode even!

Okami: Do you want an adventure game that is both more gorgeous and more dull than Zelda? This may be the perfect game for you.

God Hand: Do you like brawlers of old? THEN FUCKING GET THIS GAME! Wes, did you ever get past that fight you were on at my house? Button masher my ass. Perhaps you can survive for a few levels like that but you won't get past certain parts unless you spend a lot of time learning and tweaking the combos. Of all the games on the list this is tied with best game (Trauma Center is the other top game)

FF XII: I haven't played this one personally, but I trust other people (specifically Faithless) on this one. I will get around to it sooner than later. Probably this summer.

Hotel Dusk: I haven't finished this (hell, I've barely stated) but it is such a great improvement from the amateur-ish nature of Trace Memory. The art style is fantastic as well (better implemented than I thought it would be). The only problem is that it's a little slow and entrenched with many of the long standing adventure game catches (get to a point and you just go to your inventory and use everything until you activate the next scene).

I really want to say that you should get Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but I can't. It takes at least 35 hours before the game becomes interesting and you have to really want to like it to even get that far.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find it for cheap, I will get it, just for you Shaper.
Guys I'm going to buy Pro Evoluton Soccer DS and post extensive commentary. If it's good, please buy it and play me online. Please. Especially you Scratchmonkey, you're half the reason I started playing Pro Evo in the first place, with that FKW '06 thread.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Button masher my ass.

I meant it in the nicest way. It's a really good game, but if you deny that it's a workout for the thumbs you're just being silly.

And it's also very sloppy.

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played rocket slime for about 2 or 3 hours, got bored with it, picked it up again a few months later and loved every second of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: