The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Konami hates Castlevania fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Konami hates Castlevania fans Reply with quote

Well, I suppose it depends on your position. If you're a PSP owner, then it's obvious that Konami loves you enough to not only give you a port of Symphony of the Night, but both the original and a 3D-enhanced remake of the most legendary Castlevania title evar.

For the rest of the people who have supported Konami's handheld efforts on the GBA and DS, this seems like a nice, 'fuck you'.

I don't care too much about SotN and the gameplay video of the Dracula X remake looks a bit wonky--I don't like the remixed music and Richter's walk looks more like some odd strut--but it's a bit frustrating to see the one installment of the series that American fans have been clamoring for since--well, almost since its release--going to a platform other than one supported by the current Castlevania fanbase. It's especially annoying when you look back on the video interview on the Playstation Castlevania Chronicles and see that even that long ago they were considering giving the game some sort of US release. Then again, I suppose it makes sense considering Konami's recent history of classic collections on the PSP, but it still bugs me. Certainly gives me one more reason to look into getting the device, though.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Request topic title change. I'm personally glad that I'll finally be able to play it legitimately without having to spend a shitload on a Turboduo + $100 disc.

Yeah, it sucks that it's on the PSP, but it's better suited to that game than the DS would have been.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Yeah, it sucks that it's on the PSP, but it's better suited to that game than the DS would have been.

It really sucks that it's on the PSP because the console is such crap. The only reason it would be better suited on the PSP is because they're doing more than just a straight port. Had they gone the route of the FIRST chronicles and done a 2D update of Rondo + the original Rondo then the DS would have been perfect.

Hell, thinking about it... why the hell didn't he do that?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lasa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well are PSP games selling these days anyway?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PSP is a bad system primarily because there aren't that many games worth playing on it. I don't see how that makes bringing a potentially good game out on it a bad move.

Anyways, if anything Konami hated us yesterday when they weren't bringing it out at all. Logically, the fact that they're releasing it at all means they don't hate us any more.

But if you disagree with this logic, that must mean that when Konami announced Bloodlines for the Genesis they hated us, and when they announced Symphony of the Night for the Playstation they also hated us. I don't get it.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really just want all classic re-releases to be on XBLA or Virtual Console, period. I want all my stuff in one place! Let the PSP die and give me downloadable games, please!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO

If Castlevania wasn't enough reason for you to buy a PSP, Konami's also releasing this:

Quote:
Brooktown High Senior Year
Release date: Spring 2007
Genre: Dating/Social Games
Platform: PSP system

Brooktown High: Senior Year gives gamers the opportunity to re-capture their high school days by trying to date the boy or girl of their dreams. Players can make friends with different types of students such as jocks, nerds, and rebels, as they search for the perfect partner to make their senior year truly magical.

Which I'm preordering right now.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The PSP is a bad system primarily because there aren't that many games worth playing on it. I don't see how that makes bringing a potentially good game out on it a bad move.

No, it's primarily a bad move because the games worth playing on it are blurry as shit, the console has shitty buttons and d-pad, horrible placement of the analogue nub, and crap for battery life.
Lasa wrote:
How well are PSP games selling these days anyway?

Some of the larger releases are selling well, and sports games. The console has an overall pretty low attach rate, at least in the US. Games like Megaman Powered Up and Ultimate GnG are selling like shit.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
ALSO

If Castlevania wasn't enough reason for you to buy a PSP, Konami's also releasing this:

Quote:
Brooktown High Senior Year
Release date: Spring 2007
Genre: Dating/Social Games
Platform: PSP system

Brooktown High: Senior Year gives gamers the opportunity to re-capture their high school days by trying to date the boy or girl of their dreams. Players can make friends with different types of students such as jocks, nerds, and rebels, as they search for the perfect partner to make their senior year truly magical.

-Wes

Hot damn!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

what?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Anyways, if anything Konami hated us yesterday when they weren't bringing it out at all. Logically, the fact that they're releasing it at all means they don't hate us any more.

But if you disagree with this logic, that must mean that when Konami announced Bloodlines for the Genesis they hated us, and when they announced Symphony of the Night for the Playstation they also hated us. I don't get it.

Topic title's fine. It was meant to be a bit of a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing, "Konami hates gamers; gives game they want on wrong platform, company spokesman says 'harhar' " etc. Of course they'd hate us more if the game wasn't announced; you know what would make them hate us even more is if the company closed and they stated that they did so because they "hate gamers." Those lines of argument seem intentionally disingenuous to me, though.

As Shaper mentioned earlier, the only real reason this needs to be on the PSP is for this fancy 3D-remake, which only time will let us know is any good or not. The DS' hardware would have no troubles with a well-ported PC Engine game; the only possible issue could be sound quality seeing as the original was CD audio, but you're not getting that on the PSP anyway. I'm not sure about Symphony of the Night, but I'd be willing to be the DS could handle that fine as well.

And actually, this is nothing like Bloodlines on the Genesis or Symphony on the Playstation. Both were cases of the series evolving and moving on to new hardware; neither one involved a drastic shift from an established platform of--what, five titles all told? It's pretty naive, sure, to think that most companies as large as Konami make games "for the fans" and not for the company stock's bottom line, but this release just feels like a slight towards the gaming demographic that has supported the series for the past couple of years, considering how the PS2 games have been received. I'm not sure what the overlap of PSP and DS owners is, but I think it not unreasonable to assume that consumers owning both consoles are in the minority.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who likes anything deserves to be punished, right?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Anyone who likes anything deserves to be punished, right?

The same could be said for all religions

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
And actually, this is nothing like Bloodlines on the Genesis or Symphony on the Playstation.

Actually it's a lot like Bloodlines on the Genesis. After releasing 5 games on Nintendo hardware they moved to a hardware that's viewed as more "mature" to do a slightly darker version that in theory should cater more to that specific audience. Actually, it might be even MORE accurate to say that it's a lot like the original release of Rondo, which, again, was released after 4 iterations on Nintendo hardware to a less mainstream system that can do better graphics and sound than what's possible on the current Nintendo system and is targeted at a more "mature" audience.

I'm not sure how either one is very different.

-Wes

ALSO:
Quote:
the only possible issue could be sound quality seeing as the original was CD audio, but you're not getting that on the PSP anyway

How are you not getting CD quality audio on the PSP?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:
And actually, this is nothing like Bloodlines on the Genesis or Symphony on the Playstation.

Actually it's a lot like Bloodlines on the Genesis. After releasing 5 games on Nintendo hardware they moved to a hardware that's viewed as more "mature" to do a slightly darker version that in theory should cater more to that specific audience. Actually, it might be even MORE accurate to say that it's a lot like the original release of Rondo, which, again, was released after 4 iterations on Nintendo hardware to a less mainstream system that can do better graphics and sound than what's possible on the current Nintendo system and is targeted at a more "mature" audience.

Technically, the X68000 release of Castlevania (you know, the one from chronicles) was released before both Rondo and Bloodlines.

That said: this makes more sense than I would like to admit. It's Chronicles 2. Chronicles was released for the PS1, and the PSP is basically a PS1.5 handheld. Where are all the PS1 games going? To the PSP.

friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, sigh. I was hoping to never again buy anything for the PSP. I guess I'll have to give in, since I'm not willing to drop the cash on the original. I'm pretty sure PSP+Dracula X will be significantly cheaper than just Dracula X on the PCE.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I'm pretty sure PSP+Dracula X will be significantly cheaper than just Dracula X on the PCE.

PCE Duo $100 - $150
Dracula X PCE $90 - $150
Total = $190 - $300

PSP $200
CV: Chronicles Drac X $30 - $40
Total $230 - $240

Not significantly, no.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying the PC Engine version will give money back to collectors, though, and that ain't cool!

Also, you didn't facotr in shipping costs! You can just buy the PSP stuff from the store.

Last edited by Cycle on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a 1:1 ratio for CDr copies of Rondo and Duos located geographically outside of Japan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
How are you not getting CD quality audio on the PSP?

Because it's still compressed under UMD's ATRAC3plus codec.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Not significantly, no.

Eh, but you also get the remake, SoTN, etc. with the PSP version.

Now you see, I'm just making excuses for not geting a PCE Duo. There you go.

It's nice to see it finally getting ported.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Now you see, I'm just making excuses for not geting a PCE Duo. There you go.

HA!

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
PCE Duo $100 - $150
Dracula X PCE $90 - $150
Total = $190 - $300

since the pce has no copy protection, you can just burn the game and save yourself $90 to 150. that makes it quite a bit cheaper than the psp version.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCE version is all in Japanese though, while the PSP version will be translated and such.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
The PCE version is all in Japanese though, while the PSP version will be translated and such.

The original is also in German

helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it says about me as a person or as a gamer, but I had more fun checking Shaper's math than actually reading anything about this game.

One thing's for sure, though. Shaper, you added correctly.
B coma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rondo run pretty well on my soft modded xbox!

I would absolutely pick up this package if I still had my PSP, or if Sony ever gets around to releasing a revised version of the console. After all, I still have the copy of SOTN Dess sent me (hey, it's not a rare game or anything).

I liked the PSP platform pretty well! but after my first one bricked itself I find that I just can't swallow the cost of another until Sony makes a better version of the hardware.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt and I talked on the phone about this tonight. I see why people would theoretically want it for the DS, but really the PSP (or PS2) is really the only technically feasible place to put it. The TurboDuo runs at a resolution of 256×224. The DS runs at a resolution of 256x192, which means you'd be missing 28 pixels vertically unless you wanted to push those pixels to the other screen. The PSP on the other hand runs at a resolution of 480 x 272, this means that the game could run fine without having any pixels cut off, or could even be stretched and aliased so it's no longer windowed (For your reference, SOTN on the Playstation runs at 320x240, which is also not possible on the DS).

Beyond the screen size, there's the aforementioned issue of sound. The DS just isn't capable of running a game at full speed while it's pumping out anything near CD quality sound. I could be wrong here, but my understanding of how Nintendo's handhelds work is that they don't have anything even close to resembling a dedicated sound processor, and therefore sound quality is directly proportional to game speed.

So basically in order to bring the game to the DS they would not have been able to do anything even close to resembling a faithful port. As for the reason it's not on the PS2, I'm guessing it has to do with how badly Chronicles bombed. It's a bit disappointing, but Despite what Sony says, new games don't tend to do as well when their system's successors are released. It probably would have had to have been a budget title to make money at all, and that's probably not worth their time or money.

So in conclusion, I'm glad it's coming out on the PSP instead of the DS. I'm disappointed that it's not coming out on the PS2. No matter what you do, don't buy a $200 PSP just for this game. You've been waiting 15 years. You can wait for the system to drop in price.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

what?
showka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
(For your reference, SOTN on the Playstation runs at 320x240, which is also not possible on the DS).

Are you sure about that? I thought SOTN ran at the same resolution as Dracula X and Castlevania IV before it, and the fact the Saturn had no similar resolution was one of the reason the graphics look so blocky (because they were stretched). I'm pretty sure I'm right about that.

Quote:
You've been waiting 15 years. You can wait for the system to drop in price.

Thats fucking depressing, isn't it? I just thought of how if this had come out, say, eight years back on any system, my head would've exploded with pure joy. Now I'm still happy, but its just not the same.

B coma wrote:

Is the emulation perfect or just pretty good?
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Matt and I talked on the phone about this tonight. I see why people would theoretically want it for the DS, but really the PSP (or PS2) is really the only technically feasible place to put it. The TurboDuo runs at a resolution of 256×224. The DS runs at a resolution of 256x192, which means you'd be missing 28 pixels vertically unless you wanted to push those pixels to the other screen. The PSP on the other hand runs at a resolution of 480 x 272, this means that the game could run fine without having any pixels cut off, or could even be stretched and aliased so it's no longer windowed (For your reference, SOTN on the Playstation runs at 320x240, which is also not possible on the DS).

Beyond the screen size, there's the aforementioned issue of sound. The DS just isn't capable of running a game at full speed while it's pumping out anything near CD quality sound. I could be wrong here, but my understanding of how Nintendo's handhelds work is that they don't have anything even close to resembling a dedicated sound processor, and therefore sound quality is directly proportional to game speed.

So basically in order to bring the game to the DS they would not have been able to do anything even close to resembling a faithful port. As for the reason it's not on the PS2, I'm guessing it has to do with how badly Chronicles bombed. It's a bit disappointing, but Despite what Sony says, new games don't tend to do as well when their system's successors are released. It probably would have had to have been a budget title to make money at all, and that's probably not worth their time or money.

So in conclusion, I'm glad it's coming out on the PSP instead of the DS. I'm disappointed that it's not coming out on the PS2. No matter what you do, don't buy a $200 PSP just for this game. You've been waiting 15 years. You can wait for the system to drop in price.

-Wes

The real question is why isn't this an XBLA or VC release?
B coma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
B coma wrote:

Is the emulation perfect or just pretty good?

I turn all the graphical filtering off, but even with super sai x100 it still runs full speed. in order to have the sound you have to have a dump of the game that has the soundtrack in mp3 format, or convert it yourself, but it has to be named in a format that the emulator understands. that in combination with soft modding your xbox in the first place is a lot of hoops to jump through, but hey, it's no $300 and there are plenty of other benefits as well! (like having Mame on a television and not having to pay extra to play DVD's through your Xbox).
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the state of PSP emulation these days?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, has their been any announcement of an upgraded PSP system or (even better) a PSP Player?

I see demo PSP units that display on an LCD (at retail stores) and have always wanted a device to allow me that pleasure for personal use.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
So, what's the state of PSP emulation these days?

If you want to play Rondo on your PC, get Magic Engine and a disc image of the game.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mednafen does just fine as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: