The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LA MULANA - the most Konami game ever made

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: LA MULANA - the most Konami game ever made Reply with quote

First, some links. Download La Mulana from AGTP. At the moment, the translation patch is an incomplete update that doesn't translate the game's very important manual. I've uploaded the original patch myself though, so. Download the translation patch here. Then go back and download the patch that's actually on AGTP's page.

La Mulana is the most Konami game ever made. It's the story of an adventurer, Lemeza Kosugi, and his search through ancient ruins in search of his father, treasure, and Konami MSX game cartridges. It was developed by GR3 Project, a group of MSX enthusiasts who created several excellent Java sequels to the MSX versions of Gradius 2 and 3. They took their site down recently, but you can still download all the files they had on their site if you're interested.

On the surface, La Mulana is a spiritual successor to The Maze of Galious, which is an MSX game about traversing a big castle and 10 worlds, which all look exactly the same, looking for items and incanting big boss monsters. That was the original intention, anyway. Along the way, during 5 years of development, La Mulana transformed into one of the most insane and loving tributes to 8-bit video games ever.

Initially, Lemeza controls like a slightly more mobile version of an early Castlevania Belmont. Being an MSX fan-game, his most useful tool is his handy portable MSX, which supports a variety of useful software for mapping the ruins and translating tablets (sold seperately). His starting weapon is a whip, and the most annoying enemies consist of bats and swooping fowl who will knock you around and serve as general nuisances. It becomes very clear early on, however, that the real danger is the labyrinthine ruins themselves. At the beginning of the game, it's possible to accidentally trigger a trap and never be able to escape, and whipping around at random is a surefire way to accidentally hit a holy relic and get zapped by lightning, which is likely to mean instant death if you're at low HP. The enemies themselves, by comparison, are fairly inoccuous, dealing low damage for the most part and generally just serving as annoyances.

More than anything, though, the biggest psychological obstacle facing the player from the beginning of the game is an almost complete lack of knowledge about the game's internal logic. Even worse, the game's manual has a note from the designers in the back which reads as follows:
GR3 wrote:
Naramura wondered if it might not be possible to incorporate the sense of tension in newer games like Metal Gear into La Mulana. After thinking about it for about an hour (Pretty quick!) we decided to put in the fear of death into La Mulana.

Let's say you were an archaeologist. You're standing in front of a dark hole that you can't see the bottom of. Would you jump in? In real life, your response would probably be, "Heck no!" After all, you don't know what's down there. Or say you're in a room filled with corpses and a bunch of switches. Would you just press them haphazardly at random? In this case too, you'd probably never do something so reckless. We wanted to try to incorporate this type of tension--a "Proceed with caution" type of feeling into the game.

Recently--or actually a lot earlier than that, a lot of games have been set up so that "if you just check everything, the puzzle is easily solved" and "if you screw up, just reload" and a lot of people have been thinking, "are these sorts of games really all that fun?" So what would happen if we took those two trends away from gamers used to easy games?

With this in mind, we ended up making La Mulana a lot harder than we had been intending when we started the project. We tried to make it so that people wouldn't get hopelessly stuck everywhere, but if you just whack walls at random without thinking you'll die. If you think "Ooh, a treasure!" and run charging toward it without thinking, you'll die. If you just operate a mechanism without thinking about how it works, you may end up not ever being able to get a specific item. If you think "I'm trapped! I'm going to warp out!" and do so, you won't be able to get back into that room from the outside. Once you do finally manage to find your way back in, you may be confronted with an even more obnoxious mechanism to overcome than before. If you make enough big mistakes it will eventually become quite tough to complete the game.

Despite sounding scary as hell, the game isn't quite as sadistic as the note makes it out to be. Once you get your bearings with how the game tends to do things, and obtain a few of the basic items necessary for finding clues, the game starts to open up and become extremely intriguing and enjoyable. You'll probably want to take some notes, but I don't think mapping the game is necessary - the game does a pretty good job of that for the most part.

Beyond a few paragraphs in the manual and a short introduction, La Mulana has no overt narrative. There's a history that you can piece together from reading the stone tablets throughout the massive complex of ruins, but beyond that there's only the village elder, who gives you occasional hints and spends the rest of your visits spouting MSX community in-references ("Did anyone buy Q-Bert to play it?" "Though I supposed it's to be expected, official emulators are no good." "They had big dreams and sold over 4 million MSX units. So why doesn't my site have over 4 milion hits? Don't you think it's strange?").

What else. The music is quite good, and comes in either emulated PSG or MIDI flavors. It seems inconcievable to play this game with the MIDI soundtrack, but that's obviously going to be up to you.

Ok, I've said enough. Go play it. To help you out at the beginning, I've compiled a list of things I wish I knew at the beginning of the game, but which I had to learn about through experimentation. Only look at them if you want to! The first one isn't a spoiler, so it's visible, but the rest are in spoiler color.

1) If the game is running choppily or the graphics are messed up, you can run it in a window by pressing alt+enter, and turn on/off video filtering by pressing f7.

2) Don't try to amass money by destroying the same pots over and over again. Exploration will lead to more pots you've never seen before, which are more likely to drop items.

3) Buy the Game Master first (it saves your game), the Handy Scanner second, and the glyph software third.

4) The chalice is the most important early item you can find, as it allows you to easily transport yourself throughout the ruins, and to the game's starting point. To find it, look for a room in the east side of the Guidance Gate which has a skeleton pressed up against the east wall. Scanning him will give you a clue about a "shortcut" between ruins. Push against the wall he's lying against to be transported to the opposite side of the area, and push the block onto the pressure plate to obtain the chalice. You can read about how to use it in the manual, but I'll leave the specifics up to you guys.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this game was actually the first thing i ever posted to tigsource about. i've been playing through the fan-translation here and there. it gives off that completely tantalizing 8-bit vibe that there are always secrets just beyond your reach. in a similiar way, it's also paced not by arbitrary barriers (though there are those) but by your own growing confidence in your abilities. similiar to, say, zelda (or to an archaeologist exploring monster-infested ruins?), you stick to places you know at first, making gradual forays into unknown - and likely more dangerous - areas, cautiously expanding your sphere of known terrain, backing off when it becomes too much for you. it feels pretty right.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really freaking hard though. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember thinking I might have to level-grind, which is an instant turn-off for me.
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's taking me ages to even rasie enough money to buy the ability to save my game!
it does, however, remind me in a very very good way of going to a friend's/relative's and playing their NES games i've never heard of and never making any progress but loving it all the same. i still play legacy of the wizard in that way.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It's really freaking hard though. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember thinking I might have to level-grind, which is an instant turn-off for me.

The game's giant experience bar just restores your HP if it fills up. There are no levels to speak of in terms of character growth.
Quote:
yeah, it's taking me ages to even rasie enough money to buy the ability to save my game!

Don't try getting money off of enemies - they only drop 1 coin at a time. Break pots, and try finding your way into the ruins. If you can't make any progress, it's worth noting that defeating all the enemies on certain screens will cause stuff to happen.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a pot with ten coins (the price of the save rom) right outside the msx store, if i remember correctly.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:

Grand Theft Auto 2 was like that, you had to donate $50,000 to the church to "be saved" and so I didn't have a save game for a while.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never save gta2. i was never compelled to when the game feels so easy to pick up and play.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i.... didn't go to the left. i just hopped on into the ruins! things are going a bit smoothlier.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't play La-Mulana. You endure La-Mulana. You endure it like you endure an aikido training session.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same could be said about Deadly Towers and Alien Rape Escape.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The same could be said about rape

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

The game's giant experience bar just restores your HP if it fills up. There are no levels to speak of in terms of character growth.

There's still grinding in the sense that the glyph reader is fucking expensive and you will hit a point where you can't progress unless you have it, so you have wander around a bit till you have enough money.

Of course wandering around is pretty engaging and fascinating in and of itself. It's sort of like in star control 2 where you go out on an expedition and you find a lot of minerals but you're not sure if you have enough fuel and/or ships in your fleet to survive the voyage home. But when you make it there and can afford your precious ship upgrades, it's a really great feeling.

Sort of like that, yeah.
a_plus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, this game is great. i fear i may have irreparably damaged a puzzle, and i hope that it doesn't block my progress later...
this game isn't really as fiendish as i was led to believe. it's difficult, yes, but it's not TOTALLY unfair, and jeez, at least they didn't opt to put a password system in there. i'll probably finish it in a few years, and it doesn't feel like something i am "enduring."
a_plus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, ya know what? i guess i DID make progress. it's hard to tell sometimes.
also, i can keep dying in this game and still hit "continue." i find i have a hard time doing that with any game anymore, but this of all games keeps me coming back for more deaths!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either I am very bad at these puzzles, or these puzzles are very bad. Somebody tell me which.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies a hell of a lot dependng on where you are in the game. If you're still near the beginning, then it's probably the prior.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was indeed the prior. I was thinking of the tablets as screen clues rather than dungeon clues.

The traps make me afraid to experiment, but the game sure asks you to experiment a lot.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: