The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for (post)modern games.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Looking for (post)modern games. Reply with quote

I'd like to see a good game that referenced lots of pop culture (not just games) in a clever way. Sure Fallout 2 often did this but in a detrimental way to the cohesion of its own mythic world. Pheonix Wright was fun with the (made up) Pink Princess and the name of the hotel opposite. Maybe I should dig out a Moonwalker rom?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's postmodernity for you: In Dead Rising, a game set entirely in a shopping mall, you have a Wild West-style shootout in a Wild West-themed food court. How's that?

My sister say the Zelda games she's seen me play are very postmodern in the way they mix and match tropes of various cultures. Look at the Boss fight in the Tower of the Gods: You fight a large Mayan-style head which seems to reference games like Starfox in its design- it even It shoots lasers at you. The lighting fixtures running through the walls look like they're from Tron. Link himself looks like he's a character from 60's/70's anime. Meanwhile, the music in the boss fight sounds like Walter/Wendy Carlos or Switched On Bach- 30-year-old electronic covers of European classical music. And this all coalesces to create a greco-roman sort of setting! It's like, what.

Oh wait, you said pop culture. Um. Mother 2 includes samples of Beatles songs in the music and has a features a band who look like the Blues Brothers. Actually there's quite a few things like that in Mother 2.

Here's one: When you look at the TV in your house at the start of Pokemon Red/Blue, you find they're watching Stand By Me. I guess this is because they deal with similar themes- all those JRPGS are a coming-of-age story in some form or another. Only, in Pokemon you're setting out to find some Pokemon and in Stand By Me they go out to find a dead body.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure Fallout 2 often did this but in a detrimental way to the cohesion of its own mythic world.

i must disagree. their mythos was built from the ashes of the old world, hence the hubologists (as hammy as that was) and the cafe of broken dreams, etc. fallout 1 had a lot of sly refs as well. (red ryder bb gun, et al)
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact is not postmodern. Contact thinks it's postmodern but it's just an excuse to have half a story and shitty gameplay.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Contact is not postmodern. Contact thinks it's postmodern but it's just an excuse to have half a story and shitty gameplay.

True, but it does have lots of pop culture references.

And the ending is pretty postmodern. Doesn't really redeem the rest of the game though.

Oh heck who am I kidding I liked contact and I don't know why :(
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by the 'postmodern' designation of Contact.

The really strange thing is, the particular gaming demographic that Contact was designed for is the very same group that seems intent on crucifying it. Pearls before swine? It's a tough call to make, but I do know this: the whole "Professor looks like Andonuts LOL" aside, there's really very little difference between the core of Contact and Earthbound, when you get down to it, and it's near-universal rejection by those same hip, edgy cats who all, like, totally get Earthbound's postmodern genius is a very confusing thing for me indeed.

Also, I like/d it quite a bit as well, though I'm pretty sure I know why.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact is a waste of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not all Working Designs translations qualify as post-modern?
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marathon series, Metal Gear Solid 2 (and less so, but still relevant, one and three), Earthbound and killer7, possibly MDK, are obviously post-modern games I can think of at the moment.

I guess I'm talking about a different, more evidently self-referential, form of post-modernism than just culture jamming, but these games are all well worth the investment and will play games with your head, typically for the better.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's postmodern about MDK?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
there's really very little difference between the core of Contact and Earthbound, when you get down to it, and it's near-universal rejection by those same hip, edgy cats who all, like, totally get Earthbound's postmodern genius is a very confusing thing for me indeed.

Earthbound is cute and Contact is grating.

That's it, ok? Earthbound is just cute. It's not brilliant or life-changing or the greatest literary masterpiece of our time or anything like that. It's a cute game.

And you know what else? The same is true for pretty much every other successful "postmodern" thing ever made. Oh, Thomas Pynchon writes like a person on hallucinogenic drugs, how cute. Oh, Quentin Tarantino references old kung fu movies and legends, how cute.

Gackt impersonator Brandon Sheffield once argued that videogames are an inherently postmodern medium. When I watch my mom watching them, I think he's right. The entire thing is a barrage of novelty, to her. "Someone had fun making that one."

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:
there's really very little difference between the core of Contact and Earthbound, when you get down to it, and it's near-universal rejection by those same hip, edgy cats who all, like, totally get Earthbound's postmodern genius is a very confusing thing for me indeed.

Earthbound is cute and Contact is grating.

That's it, ok? Earthbound is just cute. It's not brilliant or life-changing or the greatest literary masterpiece of our time or anything like that. It's a cute game.

And you know what else? The same is true for pretty much every other successful "postmodern" thing ever made. Oh, Thomas Pynchon writes like a person on hallucinogenic drugs, how cute. Oh, Quentin Tarantino references old kung fu movies and legends, how cute.

Gackt impersonator Brandon Sheffield once argued that videogames are an inherently postmodern medium. When I watch my mom watching them, I think he's right. The entire thing is a barrage of novelty, to her. "Someone had fun making that one."

I think you're wrong, Swimmy!

Thing is, I don't know how to disagree with you on this one, because you're kind of right as well. I guess, I don't know what post-modernism really is.

A co-worker once tried to explain it to me while we were putting 30% off stickers onto copies of "Bush At War III: State of Denial," though our boss yelled at us for talking and now I'll never see that bastard again.

A pity, really.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yEAH, I'll admit I'm not so much looking for postmodern games [whatever they are], as games which reference other pop culture. However, this intertextual pastiche is a feature of things which pretend to be postmodern, so modern / postmodern games can all be lumped together in my book.
-I don't like 'extistentialism' and 'postmodernity'!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, I and an anonymous friend (who visits this forum) wish to know why you find Marathon to be postmodern.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:

Cute is cute and grating is grating and that's just the way it is, no explanation, end of story, right? I'm calling your bluff!

Seriously, I call bullshit: what's so cute about Earthbound? What's not so cute about Contact? Why is 'cute' postmodern? Why isn't Barbie Horse Adventures postmodern?

Does anyone really have enough of a grasp on the concept of postmodernism to grant or deny games that status in the first place?

Does being 'postmodern' even matter for a game? Is this some sort of intrinsic, objective measurement that truly affects the way we play the games or the enjoyment we receive from them? Or are we just wanking intellectual here?

Last edited by GSL on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
yEAH, I'll admit I'm not so much looking for postmodern games [whatever they are], as games which reference other pop culture. However, this intertextual pastiche is a feature of things which pretend to be postmodern, so modern / postmodern games can all be lumped together in my book.
-I don't like 'extistentialism' and 'postmodernity'!

Conkers Bad Fur Day has pop culture references up the wazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What's postmodern about MDK?

Its premise undermines practically every pulp sci-fi stereotype, references older Shiny games as well takes the piss out of player expectations (I'm thinking of the Mario style false room in the third minecrawler, I believe) and generally screeches "This is a video game, aren't you having fun?" with no concern for notions of credibility, yet all the same manages to build a coherent and ludicrously entertaining and hilarious experience out of it all. And ultimately, very rewarding.

Cycle wrote:
Dracko, I and an anonymous friend (who visits this forum) wish to know why you find Marathon to be postmodern.

To be flippant: Existential and posthumanist conceits in a first person shooter. Let's face it, all you do is shoot stuff. Story is more or less optional, and can be found on vid screens. But the story itself is quite brilliant, and goes to unexpected places. Marathon Infinity in particular is very antireal and questions the role of the player, bringing up the own existence of his/her avatar into question.

Basically, these are games that know they are games and can and do push and deconstruct even beyond that, for the profit of fun as well as actually being intellectually interesting?

Admittedly, I may have a very flawed conception of what postmodernism and postmodernity are, but they're notions which I find useful. I think of it as modernism except more playful and, obviously, self-conscious.

Ketch wrote:
I don't like 'extistentialism' and 'postmodernity'!

What is wrong with you? >:[
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Conker can stick his pop culture references up his wazoo.

FIXED LOL

Swimmy wrote:

No-one who had finished Earthbound would say that! Well, it might not be life-changing or the greatest literary masterpiece of our time, but it's certainly the most literate game I've ever played.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most literate? I'd disagree quite heavily. It's certainly clever, however.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then what is the most literate game I've ever played?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, the OC is postmodern ok.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karaoke Revolution and Britney's Dance Beat feature pop music songs, does that count?

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's pop-culture!

What about those "Who Wants To Be a MIllionare" PC games?

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so, are we looking for games that make pop culture references or games that are in fact postmodern?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking for games that make clever pop-culture references.

For Ketch.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
We're looking for games that make clever pop-culture references without actually admitting to talking about pop culture or adknowledging the fact that they are doing so because then we can be all artsy and hold these games up on a pedistal.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does self- and genre-referentiality = postmodern?

It reminds me about what Ralph Koster had to say about (relatively) recent art styles mapped onto gaming
Quote:

Can you make an Impressionist game? A game where the formal system conveys the following?

* The object you seek to understand is not visible or depicted.
* Negative space is more important than shape.
* Repetition with variation is central to understanding.

The answer is, of course you can. It's called Minesweeper.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
We're looking for games that make clever pop-culture references without actually admitting to talking about pop culture or adknowledging the fact that they are doing so because then we can be all artsy and hold these games up on a pedistal.

Hey I didn't start this dumb thread.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warioware's pretty postmodern actually. Far more than Metal Gear Solid 2 when you even slightly think about it.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is Singstar Rocks has a shitton more pop culture references than any other game on this list because it's based on popular culture, but the TGQ hivemind (that maybe the first time I've used this term) won't adknowledge it because it isn't gamey enough for them or something.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's singstar rocks?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's talking more about when games break the diagesis of their stories to make references to other media.

A kareoke game having songs in it isn't really what he's after, because songs are an intrinisic part of the game. It has to have songs in it. It's not the same as having Earthworm Jim say 'Schwing! Alrighty then! Rosebud's a sled, NOT!' which is what Ketch is looking for, I think.

Don't shoot the messenger! Personally I think this kind of throwaway pop culture referencing is dumb at best.

Also I don't think there is a TGQ hivemind. There's so few of us here and we're all pretty different. I don't think anyone's ever tailoring their opinions just to fit in.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Singstar Rocks

I got it last week. It's fucking AWESOME! I only wish it would eye-toy record you dancing around and rocking out while letting you watch the music videos at the same time.

-Wes

EDIT: It "breaks the third wall" motherfucker!

Last edited by SuperWes on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Warioware's pretty postmodern actually. Far more than Metal Gear Solid 2 when you even slightly think about it.

I really don't see how.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
Singstar Rocks

I got it last week. It's fucking AWESOME! I only wish it would eye-toy record you dancing around and rocking out while letting you watch the music videos at the same time.

Don't like the genre.... it's such a god-damn engineery way of judging a performance. Talk about a serious lack of soul...

I participate, though, 'cause (certain) chicks dig it.

Singstar, with the way it doesn't remove the lead singer track and generally has a decent music video, is a few steps above Karaoke Revolution. But, for my money, not as good as regular karaoke, at least in its normal playmodes.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

I really don't see how.

The whole plot of the game is that a popular videogame character starting a videogame company everything he makes is either a mirror of culture, reality, or videogames.

That sounds self-referential in every possible direction to me, but then maybe I have the wrong idea of what it means to be postmodern?

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN THIS IS BORING.

Surely we should all have a grounding in what postmodernism is already.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega: [Nana's new signature] makes the postmodern thread a whole lot more postmodern.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation has two main character plots to follow. The one I played is about a kid who wins a videogame contest which is a mech-simulator, but it is actually a trining tool for which new mech pilots are picked.

In a similar vein, No More Heroes for the Wii has the main character winning the weapon (which is the central point of the game) from, essentially, eBay.

The best learning tool in Live A Live (Squaresoft RPG, SNES) for the combat system in the game is to play Captain Square inside the game: an arcade game which is basically the combat engine of the game you're playing.

God Hand has a "giant enemy crane"

Rocket Slime has a tank called "DQ: Swords -- It's a Revolution! Whee!"

SuperWes wrote:
EDIT: It "breaks the third wall" motherfucker!

You mean 4th wall?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, breaking the third wall (directly addressing people backstage, not the audience) in a videogame sounds pretty postmodern to me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
The best learning tool in Live A Live (Squaresoft RPG, SNES) for the combat system in the game is to play Captain Square inside the game: an arcade game which is basically the combat engine of the game you're playing.

the boss of that chapter makes it even more amazing.

live a live pretty much contains every good idea square ever had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

Cute is cute and grating is grating and that's just the way it is, no explanation, end of story, right? I'm calling your bluff!

Seriously, I call bullshit: what's so cute about Earthbound? What's not so cute about Contact? Why is 'cute' postmodern? Why isn't Barbie Horse Adventures postmodern?

Different kinds of cute. Maybe clever is a better word. Cute/clever. Every inch of Earthbound is dripping with it, straight down to your options and the outcomes of ordinary battle. Dialogue, locations, pacing, everything the sign of a creator who was laughing himself silly over the game he was making. Contact has some of that at the beginning. I don't think it goes far enough.

Harveyjames wrote:
No-one who had finished Earthbound would say that!

Yeah, I can write (and have written) overly long essays about the implications of the final battle of Earthbound. That still doesn't elevate it from being a really cute, clever gesture. I can also write (and have written) overly long essays about the structure of Metal Gear Solid 2 and its relation to Charlie Kaufman regularly teabagging his audiences. Doesn't change the fact that they're both just really clever, cute acts. I mean, hell, to steal another's example, I can write a 20 page analysis on what the evolution of the Coke can implies about the foundations of modern society, the direction of humanity, this generation's tendencies, blah blah blah. It's still just a Coke can.

But don't overreact. Sometimes (usually!) cute/clever is the best thing you can be. Says the most about the human condition and art and the world and everything in between, even! It's just, you know, don't spend so much time worshipping these things, trying to categorize them, putting them in "postmodern" and "not postmodern" boxes, and chastising the philistines who "don't get it," because in the end "not getting it" is nothing more than not being on board with that particular brand of cuteness. Were you around when that Gamasutra article about immersion popped up, and everyone jumped the dude's shit because he totally didn't understand it and he only sees videogames as an immersion aid and OMG they can be so much more! Yeah. I don't know why people are interested in getting others to take seriously so many videogames that don't even take themselves seriously.

In conclusion, I have two Dragon Ball Z posters hanging in my room.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Paper Mario 2?
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread, and others like it, could really benefit from a recommended reading section.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's a good idea. A recommended reading resource for the whole forum.

It should have links to online reading material only, so there's more chance of people actually reading them.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It should have links to online reading material only, so there's more chance of people actually reading them.

Objection! Real books also please. Lets not limit this.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia has a pretty good list of postmodern authors.

Of this list, I've read Stephenson's Snow Crash (which I didn't like), Mark Z. Danieliewski's House of Leaves (which I do), and pretty much all of the translated Haruki Murakami (who is my favorite author). You can find a lot of Murakami's short fiction online if you look, I can post links if people are interested. Here's one story, Tony Takitani.

Edit: looking over the list again, I've also read a few things by Neil Gaiman that I liked and would recommend (the book about gods whose name escapes me, and Good Omens which is awesome), and of course Phillip K. Dick.

More Edit: And two of Arthur Miller's plays, although he never struck me as being postmodern in the way I understand the concept.

Even more edit: Oh and of course Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five which is genius. That was the first time I read a book that I realized could both be scholarly/canon and enjoyable!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I obviously don't understand post modern. Something which I thought I did, then didn't, then did again, and now don't.

Please help the layman.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: