The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gears of War and Children of Men

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Gears of War and Children of Men Reply with quote

To fully appreciate this thread, you should probably make an effort to see Alphonso Cuaron's excellent new film, Children of Men. (Actually, even if you have no interest in this discussion, you still ought to go see it.)

As I was watching Children of Men, I couldn't help but be struck by the similarities between its aesthetic style and that of Gears of War. The 15-ish minute single-take camera shot towards the end of the film--a lot of combat through a ruined city block and inside one of the buildings--particulary reminded me of the bleached-gray nearly-abandoned cities in Gears of War. Frequent close shots of characters (Clive Owen and the young girl, mostly) conjured images of Gears' ultra-limited third-person view. And Cuaron's penchant for handheld camerawork mirrors the jostling, almost documentarian style that suffices in Gears of War for any of the times when Marcus Phoenix does his crouch-run thing. Even the way that both these works present peripheral actions (such as the battle between the Fish and the British tanks in Children of Men or whenever Emergence Holes crop up in Gear of War) is the same: not with a cut, but with a quick pan, or with action farther away from the camera but put into a deep focus.

What accounts for these aesthetic simliarities in the two works? Can we trace an origin for them? Can we assign an umbrella name to the style? Can anyone think of other works that share that kind of tone, perspective, pallette, and structure?

Note: This is not a games-should-be-more-like-movies or a movies-should-be-more-like-games or a why-are-we-evaluating-the-two-media-with-the-same-standards-? thread. It is just a focused discussion.

So discuss!
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both instances, I'm detecting cinéma vérité style techniques, and in Gears' case, a very focused, genius use of the camera (Y to see important element and all that).

Now, Children of Men's style, in cinema, isn't new, but is certainly under-utilised, especially in sci-fi films. I get the impression Gears was more influenced by watching the news, though, and 90s comics.

I'm not certain what else to add, though, because I'm not certain what you're expecting to see here. I mean, most people compare Children of Men to Half-Life 2, mainly because both are simple chase stories, boiled down to it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I mean, most people compare Children of Men to Half-Life 2, mainly because both are simple chase stories, boiled down to it.

That's interesting to me beause I haven't yet played Half-Life 2. Are you saying that most people would make that comparison just because of plot similarities? I guess what I'm really asking is, if there is indeed enough of a link between those two, what it is about the 'simple chase story' that lends itself to that kind of style.

I like your take on Gears of War as a take on both news and comics.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most people seem to compare Children of Men and Half-Life 2 because they're dystopias, at first. Then, yes, there's the story-telling mechanic (details spread around the sets if you want to get a better idea of what exactly happened before the particular moment in time you're in), but mostly the chase story aspect seems to be the thing that hits notes.

Didn't Cliff Bleszinski say the roadie-cam was CNN inspired at some point? And the comics thing, well, I was thinking early Image, back when they published nothing but Spawn derivatives, and were generally worthless.

In an unrelated note, I was impressed that Theo never once picked up a gun.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, because of this thread if/when I do see Children of Men, I'm just going to have the damn Tears for Fears song stuck in my head the whole time.

Thanks a lot guys.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having never seen nor read children of men nor played gears of war, all i'll say is that i keep running into people who are hella pissed that the movie seems to eschew the main point of the book for its own ends. it's a really cool premise, though, having fertility somehow end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people who complain about that miss the point entirely. There is a reason that a book exists and that a film exists, as well. I haven't read the book, but I am sure that what the author attempts to do is very different from what Cuaron tries to do. And some people need to realize that in many cases, movie versions of books are not translations at all, but merely use the same base material as a point of engagement for a different issue.

Nana: Forgive me. I would not wish that on any soul.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i keep running into people who are hella pissed that the movie seems to eschew the main point of the book for its own ends. it's a really cool premise, though, having fertility somehow end.

Are they that annoyed, though? I thought the film managed to portray the effects of the concept in a somewhat realistic, human way. The film is certainly a whole different animal than the book, but I didn't find that it offensively betrayed it somehow.

I mean, the book is very heavy on backstory and detail, the movie is as well, but is far more subtle about it, simply placing you in the now of its setting and letting you pick up on things from there (Hence a Half-Life 2 comparison, in part).
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, so this is pretty cool. Dracko directed me here after I posted this at the SB forums:

Quote:
Mr. Apol wrote:
i hope metal gear solid 4 plays like how this movie looked.

I'm thinking the closest videogame parallel might be the intro to Half-Life 2, leading up to where Gordon meets Alyx. Or hell, maybe all of Half-Life 2. I feel it's also worth mentioning that those first ten or fifteen minutes of Half-Life 2 are the closest I've ever seen a videogame get to a sense of cinéma vérité. Some of the themes seem a bit similar, too...

Note that I have not yet seen Children of Men, but I am going to tonight.

Last edited by antitype on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth mentioning is HL2's suppression field, which prevents human reproduction.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are they that annoyed, though?

well, one dude in particular felt this:

Quote:

...and no, the film wasn't sympathetic to the government either. ...and, in my humble opinion, it wasn't a particularly interesting film. And I don't think it's a the book's always better than the movie kinda thing. What was the point?

...that children are really important and Abu Gharib was a disgrace?

[...]

Infertility is a big problem in both. There are some commonalities in terms of character names, locations, etc.

Imagine if in the film version of LOTR, Gollum and Frodo team up with Sauron to destroy Gandalf. ...and there are no rings. ...now, I"m not saying that would be a bad movie just because of that. ...but those facts are sufficiently remarkable that someone should remark on it.

And I'm not saying this film version wasn't good because of that--just because it deviated from, nay, ignored the plot of the book. I'm saying the film lacked substance taken in its own context.

again, i have no idea what's what, and probably never will, i just thought it strange that i kept coming across people in various positions/backgrounds/etc who were really way not into the movie. along with a lot of people who did like it, of course. so i'm contributing without contribution.

i will also contradict my earlier article about hl2 by saying that one thing that makes hl2 a non-dystopian work is that the government/ruling force is supposed to exist forever, and always win out in the end. these works are almost entirely drawn from the experience of the soviet union, which at the time people had no reason to believe would fall apart 70 years from its founding. hl2 doesn't have any of that, outside of a super-fucked setting, though i do hold out hope that gordon "loses" (i.e. doesn't "win" in a video game sense) by the end of the third installment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, where could I read this HL2 article of yours?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was issue 3 i think? it was!

"we shall meet in the place where there is no darkness"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I am sick of hearing the whole Abu Ghraib thing. BAGS ON PEOPLE'S HEADS ARE NOT FUCKING NEW!

A modern film set in 2027 happens to have aspects of its story which consider the outcome of Western influence in the Middle East. This makes perfect fucking sense to me. And the fascism portrayed is perfectly appropriate, because it's a very British form of fascism, which takes into account a lot of political and cultural things currently going on in Britain (As opposed to, say, V for Vendetta, which was just exploitative and incapable of understanding Britain even if it had bothered trying). That's it. This movie is not LIEberal propaganda. It's fairly reasonable, actually. That's why I love it.

Christ on a crutch.

dhex, speaking of Half-Life 2 and dystopias, yes, it's certainly very ideologically fantastical in how it destroys an invading and established force. I think that gives the episodes, as they are now, that is, number one, more strength, because we see the aftermath of that victory, and it isn't pretty. For one, you realise you only took down one stronghold, and to great costs, and the citizens around you are still just as disillusioned, even towards their own cause. Not to mention Gordon still being in the dark as to who he's constrained to work for (And has been since the very start, since Half-Life).

In a sense, I think Half-Life 2 being such an uproarious, over-powering experience, a man fighting against all odds to succeed, is necessary to rack in attention, and the following episodes may take us into more interesting directions, where it's shown just how difficult (and uncertain, thanks to the G-Man's influence) a struggle rebellion is. How much is rebellion worth after all if you're still tied down?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has moved beyond my scope and into exciting, new, incomprehensible territory for me!

But since I have your attention, I thought you'd both be interested to know that I'm taking a class devoted entirely to Ulysses this semester. I'm pretty pumped!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or one, you realise you only took down one stronghold, and to great costs, and the citizens around you are still just as disillusioned, even towards their own cause. Not to mention Gordon still being in the dark as to who he's constrained to work for (And has been since the very start, since Half-Life).

which is why i have hope for valve in all their efforts. may they never violate this trust, amen.

hey, which version of ulysses you usin?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with Ulysses.

Are you an obsessive compulsive reader that has to know everything, or are you cool just plowing through and figuring it all out later? Either way works for Ulysses.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Vintage International edition that claims "as Corrected and Reset in 1961" on the cover. My professor explained his reasons for this preference in class today, but I didn't pay him much mind. I tend to prefer Vintage editions of any book because they just feel so comfy in my hands.

I am a slow, deliberate reader, but I am not obsessed with understanding everything--I like to work and re-work what interests me. To better answer your question, though, the structure of the class prevents me from plowing through it, were I to go about it like that. We will spend the better part of two months just going through the novel episode by episode, preceded by two brief weeks on Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and succeeded by two or three weeks of Nabokov's Lolita (which I have already read twice) and Beckett's Molloy (very much for the first time), I can only assume because they must owe a great deal to Ulysses.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you could plow through it if you wanted to. In the ten week course i took on ulysses and the waste land, we spent about 6 or 7 weeks on ulysses, which allowed us a pretty lax pace, but then capped it off with a 36 hour read out loud of the book, highlights of which included my prof playing touch football in the street at 5 in the morning while someone stood on the front porch of a house yelling out the book, as well as assigned actors for Circe. It was a good time.

If youa re looking for decent info on details, Ulysses Annotated (I believe it is called) gives most of the relevant historical details and such, so that can be helpful.
antitype

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://antitype.livejournal.com/463460.html
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they did that in hl2 to skirt the issue of killing children.

and well-played at that.

does valve have the balls to introduce pregnant survivors? is this even part of what hl2 should address?

i'd have to say no.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. And yeah, it's a prudent decision.

Still, the ramifications of it make for an interesting parallel.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the film was influenced by Half-Life 2, as you suggest, it can only have been in how to use the mise-en-scène to reflect that kind of atmosphere. Cuaron's earlier work (especially the incredible Y Tu Mama Tambien) is rife with that kind of organic camerawork and unassuming but important details (a slow pan through the Charolastras' car reveals a tiny anarchist decal on the back window, indicative of the political themes that permeate this ostensibly coming-of-age film). Even his Harry Potter movie uses that kind of technique at times. An argument that I find more compelling (though equally unlikely) is that Valve (or Epic) and Cuaron acted one-hundred percent independently of one another, yet created strikingly simliar works.
antitype

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
An argument that I find more compelling (though equally unlikely) is that Valve (or Epic) and Cuaron acted one-hundred percent independently of one another, yet created strikingly simliar works.

That's really all that I'm suggesting. I guess it doesn't look that way, particularly when I immediately bring up the possibility that the director is aware of HL2 at all and then go on to say that I think it's a case of videogames informing movies, but this is all what I'm reading into it, that's all. It's just really interesting to observe the parallels. Could be some kind of collective unconscious synchronicity going on, or something — who knows. Could be coincidence, pure and simple.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it really that unlikely?
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys know that Children of Men the movie is based on Children of Men the book that was written in 1992, right?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. However, the book is very heavy on detail, background and so forth.
antitype

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
is it really that unlikely?

No, not really.

Nana Komatsu wrote:
You guys know that Children of Men the movie is based on Children of Men the book that was written in 1992, right?

Yeah. But, well, did the book also feature long takes that evoked a feeling much like running through a chaotic urban battlefield in a videogame?

It's just something to talk about, that's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: