The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LET'S HAVE ANOTHER HEATED DEBATE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: LET'S HAVE ANOTHER HEATED DEBATE Reply with quote

Big topics only ok
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's hotter, Vincent from FF7 or Balthier from FFXII?

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the iPhone have the capability to take over Nintendo's dominance of the portable gaming market?

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at $500 with a two year contract.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perseus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The answer, obviously, is Basch.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Death is the greatest boss name ever.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
Quote:

The answer, obviously, is Basch.

Fran, hands down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just realized tonight that my beard is concave
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
X-Death is the greatest boss name ever.

i must grudgingly agree.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sup forum axe

wait a minute
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
This sucks.

What do you want anyway?

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted you to have some deep and meaningful discussions about game design theory ; _ ;

which I could read in my spare time ; _ ;

it's a field I'm interested in!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the sort of thing you'd be looking for at Select Button.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select Button intimidates me somehow.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but there are actually debates there, and they do get heated!

Well maybe that's not true, I haven't actually read any of the threads at Select Button but given the people who participated from Insert Credit and the types of discussion that was held there, I assume it's more of the same.

Maybe read the Insert Credit Forum Archive?

raveneyesnola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is hosted at select button! I think. well there's links. or something.

hi toups

~b
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hey, how about this: pining for novelty.

When my friend got FFXII for Christmas, he was daunted by the new battle system, the gambits, the license board, and so on. He saw all of the people around the town and skipped talking to any of them. He couldn't even read the map in the corner of the screen well enough to make it around. He's been out of videogame practice for a while, so it took him a while to get adjusted, and even then he went out and bought Wes's guide just so he didn't have to deal with it.

Unfortunately I saw right through it. The gambits, the battles, the licence points, the town, the characters, the puzzles, all of it. It just felt like a million videogames to me, and I didn't want to think about it. The whole game felt, to me, like a series of boxes filled with important and unimportant switches, and that I could tell which was which at a glance was intensely boring. So I run around looking for novel experiences, games that obscure their switches.

But when you think about it, it's not that hard to be novel. It's damn hard to carefully craft a well-balanced and beautiful game, no matter how cliché it is. In pining for novelty, I'm turning into this guy, who argues that Mozart sucked because he wasn't revolutionary. Well, no, stfu douchebag Mozart was a brilliant composer. Yet, FFXII's first few hours bored me so much that I kind of want to hate the whole game on principle. I know that if I just gave it a few more hours it would probably get better, and that if I let myself get sucked into the story the blatant videogameness would mostly dissolve, and that I shouldn't obsess over novel experiences. But at the same time I can't deny the way it, and all too many recent videogames, made me feel: bored.

So, I don't know, discuss the futility (or superiority?) of pining for novelty in the face of well-crafted cliché.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that the only well-crafted cliché is the one that knows exactly how cliché it is, and even then should be novel because it subverts its own legacy somehow. Reiteration is boring and pointless; reflection, response, and revision cultivate clichés into genres, which are (though anything but static) very aware and novel within their own structure.

I have not played Final Fantasy XII, nor have I played most other Final Fantasy games, so I can't be of much use discussing that specific example.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Yes but there are actually debates there, and they do get heated!

Well maybe that's not true, I haven't actually read any of the threads at Select Button but given the people who participated from Insert Credit and the types of discussion that was held there, I assume it's more of the same.

Maybe read the Insert Credit Forum Archive?

yeah there's some heated debate going on right now about gunstar heroes.

also come back nana Sad

I promise to ban anyone who hits on you.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I was thinking about novelty in videogames while I was driving home.

More specifically, I was wondering about the spectrum of hitting a button repeatedly to do some simple task many times over the course of the game vs. having a game constantly change what's going on in terms of gameplay/control scheme. They're both pretty bad and they both have their good points.

Even more specifically, I think it's related to the importance of performance and individual expression in games.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

it's more like a bunch of people are talking about why gunstar super heroes is a good game and one person is sticking his fingers in his ears while cursing as loudly as he can.

i can see why folks are hesitant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just something cultural that makes it harder to play a game that's awkward for a good reason than it is to watch a movie that's awkward for a good reason, or do you think that comes from some control/frustration thing in our heads*?

*may require science or dueling anecdotes in order to be an actual conversation piece
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Fran > Basch, though if Basch were wearing flannel and carrying around a woodaxe or something this might change. His colorful frilly garb does him no justice.

2. X-Death vs. Psycho Mantis? I say tie. Final Fantasy totally blew their chance by not naming him X-Deth. Though on that note, I feel like there must be some NES/SNES/Genesis platformer badguys that blow them both out of the water at once. I have no idea what they are cause I didn't play those games.

3. I really like selectbutton, but this is mostly due to the frequency of conversation in a few select topics on the general board. Honestly, I've hardly been playing games at all in the past month so I'm not paying much attention to gaming discussions right now.

4. Serious point: If double jumping is generally reviled in proper gaming society, what is thought of crouching? Should one be able to move and crouch at the same time, or is that uncouth? Does one really slide along the floor when going into a sudden crouch from a sprint? I imagine a more likely scenario being tumbling onto one's own head. If Mario tumbled onto his own head I'd be doing that all the damn time. I suspect this may be the reason Mario 64 introduced the element of sliding headfirst into walls, to at least approximate the experience.

5. I really don't care for the axe but hell, look at me now. I guess there's a bit of that in us all.

6. dizzyjosh, no, that's just relative positioning and movement in our heads as translated from optical input through physical familiarity to tactile output and back again. I'm assuming you mean: "what's wrong with the controls in resident evil?"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey josh.

i'm not totally sure what you're getting at, but i think videogames ask a lot more of their audience than movies. you can watch a movie without really engaging with it, but you can't really play a game without playing the game. a movie will progress whether or not you've got a handle on it, but a game typically won't progress unless you have an idea what you're doing. the typical movie asks for less time, too, where you might go into a game having no idea how much time the game expects from you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does watching a tool assisted run of Double Dragon 2 through an emulator factor into all of that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t dess: dangit, i know this is totally defeating the point of the thread, but I think you're right -- you can't suspend your inability to complete a section till the mechanic becomes clear, or fast-forward through the suck of having to walk all the way back through a bunch of rooms. the only scene i've ever fast-forwarded through because i got too uncomfortable and kept watching afterwards was Irreversible, and I'm glad I did stick around for the end, although I'm not sure I could ever watch it again.

I guess what I was getting at is "even though I can watch half of a brutal and disgusting rape scene for the purpose of more or less my edification, why will I never ever finish Silent Hill 2, even though from hanging out around IC too long I think I know why I'm moving slowly and can't jump on top of things" and it feels like the same bucket of reasons why even though I like Krystoff Kryslowski that i'm going to have to settle for the blue/red/white trilogy and not touch the Decalogue until i'm trapped in a room with them and a huge bag of pot and no books for a weekend:::

i'm only a stickler for some kinds of punishment, and probably something about just how much dang time I have to be invested in it. I'm pretty sure time and frustration increase in direct proportion to each other until you either quit or win.

so no! it's not just the brain, and it's probably not just culturally being ok with letting things slide in film; it's the obvious middleground answer, the medium itself.

t simplicio (you joker you): the only resident evil i've played for more than half an hour is RE4 on the gamecube, which has an abundance of excellence particularly with its controls. I don't think I got frustrated once. I think here I also know what you're talking about, and while it's slightly different from my Silent Hill story I'm guessing it's not substantially different. But what do you mean about physical familiarity to tactile output? it's not that I couldn't figure out what buttons did what, I just didn't like the way they worked and didn't want to go through the hassle of continually doing something I didn't like to see what point it made when i got that point. in Irreversible, as fucked up as it made me feel (a billion times worse than James' slowness did), I felt like I needed to see the end in order to get anything other than nauseated, whereas I more or less chickened out on Silent Hill and said 'at least 20 more hours of this? and i forgot what i'm supposed to be doing already? eff it".

also, wait, wtf, double-jumps suck? I just put double-jumps in a game guys, and it's going to be a lot of work to make platforming in em work. what's the harshing on doublejumps?
i fucking *love* jumping. i play these action games in order to have fun moving, and jumping is fun. but for sliding, dude, i never play sports and i've managed to slide into home base and take out the shins of some poor fucker.

t harvey, not much of a heated debate here. sorry to disappoint.

edit: i took out two typos, wanted to make something make more sense, read the whole post again, gave up on that.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the traditional argument against double-jumps is that once they're acquired, they typically only mean you're going to have to go back to the beginning of the map and redo everything to collect the arbitrary items that have been inaccesible along the way. Or, if they're available from the beginning, they hold no purpose at all other than to require an additional button press to get across a longer gap, or allow a "save" to get to a platform that was probably the product of poor design in the first place. So the fault lies not with double jumps themselves, but with the lazy, uncreative developers who employ them.

re: Res Evil- no, the 4th fixed the input issues of the first games mostly, which was essentially terrible control to emulate the physical inability of any standard victim in a horror movie to escape their gruesome death. I like to think, in my more absurd moments, that the whole "Square blue crystal unlocks the basement door" thing was similarly just an extension of the old can't-get-the-keys-into-the-car-door-in-time gag.

dizzy, even though I'd argue you missed some of the point of Irreversible (calculated extreme, near physical shock clouding and overshadowing the innocence of the rest of the narrative), you did just reference both Noe and Kieslowski in a silly videogame discussion. please continue posting! Also, the Double Life of Veronique is available on DVD now; you could at least go that route if you're still holding out on the Decalogue.

EDIT: Winged Assassins, that probably just serves to inform you that you will never be good enough in this lifetime, right?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised how the word 'heated' seems to imply I want you all to be screeching STFU!!! into your keyboards and falling out over why Treasure are over/underrated.

Actually It's a reference to a British chat show called The Mrs. Merton Show where once per show they'd say 'Let's have a heated debate!' The joke was that because the audience were all over 75, the debate was always rather civil and subdued, and about trivial topics.

So I guess if you're not au fait with that reference, a more accurate thread title would be 'Let's have a nice in-depth discussion about interesting things'. OK thanks.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
doublejumps as a rehash mechanic or a lazy get-out-of-bottomless-pit-yourself card

hey, hate the sin and not the sinner, i thought!

i guess at least in our heads we're avoiding some of that. the game isn't a metroidvania, it's a very linear platformer. i wanted the double jump in there because as i ranted, i like moving fast and free, and doublejumps make me feel like there's something like flight in there. i suppose the 'save' argument works, but since we're developing for kids, and so we like the idea that you can get yourself out of the hairy places we put you into. of course, there's a good argument to be made that we're underestimating our audience's ability to platform and that good design would give you that 'just made it on my own wits' feeling, but my hope is that if moving itself is fun and the platform placement isn't punishing, we've done /some/ good design already.

simplicio wrote:
re before 4 has you roleplay the victim in the horror movie

that's close to what i gathered, and yeah: while that sounds really cool and probably like something i'd design, i bet i couldn't play it for long without getting bored or frustrated and going elsewhere. it's not quite pulse-pounding in the same way after the fourth or fifth time, i guess.

simplicio wrote:
irreversible

naw dawgg i didn't miss that; on the contrary, i made a conscious decision not to *stop* watching but to see what the heck happened before. it just so happened that after half the scene, i had progressed from "near physical shock" to dry heaving and tearing my shirt in half from nerves. I have issues with physical violence and sexuality. but thanks for asking me to post more.

oh and dlov is now in the queue-- thx.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

See when you say that, I think of this:
Steven Colbert wrote:
George W. Bush: Great president, or greatest president?

Mister Toups wrote:
also come back nana Sad

I promise to ban anyone who hits on you.

Hell no, I'm actually being productive at work and getting stuff done! Also, if anyone were to try something I'd just look up their IP in the database and hire a server farm in russia to DDOS them.*

*yes I'm kidding. I think.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzyjosh wrote:
I guess what I was getting at is "even though I can watch half of a brutal and disgusting rape scene for the purpose of more or less my edification, why will I never ever finish Silent Hill 2, even though from hanging out around IC too long I think I know why I'm moving slowly and can't jump on top of things" and it feels like the same bucket of reasons why even though I like Krystoff Kryslowski that i'm going to have to settle for the blue/red/white trilogy and not touch the Decalogue until i'm trapped in a room with them and a huge bag of pot and no books for a weekend:::

Man, I'm weeping on both accounts here.

You mentioned queue and Decalogue over a couple posts. You know that you don't have to, like, sit through the whole thing right? Just get one DVD, then when you want then grab the next. While there is an over arcing theme and it is "important" to be aware of it all, the whole thing can be watched over quite a long period of time. I finally got blue/white/red for Christmas this year, so I should be re-watching all those soon.

I think I should see this Irréversible film mentioned. I should ask how it compares to other shock films like Man Bites Dog and Visitor Q?

Also, just freaking play Silent Hill 2. It's really not that bad (really!).

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana, speaking of not getting involved in Gunstar Heroes debates, how are you enjoying Gunstar Super Heroes?

I would like to submit my own personal enjoyment of the double jump in most games I have found it in. In Psychonauts, though, it blows.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I think I should see this Irréversible film mentioned. I should ask how it compares to other shock films like Man Bites Dog and Visitor Q?

Haven't seen Visitor Q, but it's leagues beyond Man Bites Dog. That at least was a black comedy; Irreversible is honestly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. Salo and all sorts of Asian gore included. So be warned that it's among my favorite movies ever made, but I refuse to recommend it to anyone.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Irréversible is fantastic. I did a presentation on it back in high school, along with A Clockwork Orange and Un Chien andalou. It's brutal to be sure, but perfect evidence that extreme cinema is of merit.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Well hey, how about this: pining for novelty.

When my friend got FFXII for Christmas, he was daunted by the new battle system, the gambits, the license board, and so on. He saw all of the people around the town and skipped talking to any of them. He couldn't even read the map in the corner of the screen well enough to make it around. He's been out of videogame practice for a while, so it took him a while to get adjusted, and even then he went out and bought Wes's guide just so he didn't have to deal with it.

Unfortunately I saw right through it. The gambits, the battles, the licence points, the town, the characters, the puzzles, all of it. It just felt like a million videogames to me, and I didn't want to think about it. The whole game felt, to me, like a series of boxes filled with important and unimportant switches, and that I could tell which was which at a glance was intensely boring. So I run around looking for novel experiences, games that obscure their switches.

But when you think about it, it's not that hard to be novel. It's damn hard to carefully craft a well-balanced and beautiful game, no matter how cliché it is. In pining for novelty, I'm turning into this guy, who argues that Mozart sucked because he wasn't revolutionary. Well, no, stfu douchebag Mozart was a brilliant composer. Yet, FFXII's first few hours bored me so much that I kind of want to hate the whole game on principle. I know that if I just gave it a few more hours it would probably get better, and that if I let myself get sucked into the story the blatant videogameness would mostly dissolve, and that I shouldn't obsess over novel experiences. But at the same time I can't deny the way it, and all too many recent videogames, made me feel: bored.

So, I don't know, discuss the futility (or superiority?) of pining for novelty in the face of well-crafted cliché.

You know, reading this really bothered me at first seeing as Final Fantasy XII is one of the most amazing games of all time, but re-reading it again I see what you're getting at. It's the same kind of stuff that bothered me a little bit at first too. Prior to the US release of FFXII Aderack was going on and on - based on Tim's suggestion - that this might be the Final Fantasy to tie all of the video gamey abstractions like the sphere grid together in a way that the gameplay might truly be there to support the story. It didn't happen, and in a lot of ways this game is actually worse in that regard than Final Fantasy X was. You actually do things like pick up AI routines in treasure boxes and gain the ability to wear a really nice hat by killing 30 enemies. It's completely abstract and it fully disregards the context specifically so that you're always presented with interesting decisions to make. It's pretty much perfect as far as video games go, but there's no illusions of actually doing the things alluded to in the story. It's still a videogame.

Going on a tangent, there's this new game on this new system called the Wii called Wii Sports. It's great! It lets you get up and move around! Rather than just pretending to bowl, you're actually bowling! Rather than pressing a button to swing a tennis racket you're actually swinging a Tennis racket! It brings people together to play games! Personally, I love it and I think it's a great direction for games to go in.

But you know, after a few rounds it's pretty boring. Yeah, it's great that you can get up and swing your arm, but the final results at the end of the bowling game are only tangentially related to the decisions you make during the game. It does a great job of keeping your hands occupied, but a pretty cruddy job of keeping your mind occupied, and because it's not really that compelling from a mental perspective I find that I never really want to play it for more than an hour at a time max.

BUT!

I really do love Wii Sports, and that's not just me being a sarcastic asshole. It's great and novel at what it does, and it's another great direction that games now have the potential of going in. Because the definition of interactive entertainment is so completely broad, we can live in a world where games can be any and all of these things and we're free to enjoy both. In the same way that a sports fan can enjoy both Golf and Basketball, we can enjoy games that exist to be games, games that exist to be experiences, and everything in between.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was pretty cataclysmically drunk when i played wii bowling, but i'd point to it as an excellent example of novelty in action. the more invested gamer folk tend to associate novelty with superficiality (or timewaves, if you had a lot of fun in college) but with games it's a pretty important facet of what makes something compelling.

the other facet being "doing it well" as there are going to no doubt be a bunch of rather hackneyed games using the wii in not so great ways, novel or otherwise.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
the final results at the end of the bowling game are only tangentially related to the decisions you make during the game.

A few weeks ago, I had some friends over from Vancouver. One of them bowls regularly, in real life. He beat us all, soundly, every time.

So, you know, I don't think this is really any more true for Wii bowling than it is for actual bowling. Clearly there is some depth there, and I think it's profoundly cool that real bowling skill can translate directly into Wii bowling skill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:

re: Res Evil- no, the 4th fixed the input issues of the first games mostly, which was essentially terrible control to emulate the physical inability of any standard victim in a horror movie to escape their gruesome death. I like to think, in my more absurd moments, that the whole "Square blue crystal unlocks the basement door" thing was similarly just an extension of the old can't-get-the-keys-into-the-car-door-in-time gag.

I'd "like" it if they made one where you had to do a jiggly-wire mini-game to get the keys in the door as the zombies approach. Or if a horror game set you up for a fall, (but in a recoverable way).

Ie. Mission Objective escape in the car.
.... OOPs I left them in the house! Now if the player was paying attention they would see this before they exposed themselves to danger running to the car. hehe.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Clearly there is some depth there, and I think it's profoundly cool that real bowling skill can translate directly into Wii bowling skill.

I absolutely agree. It's great for what it is, but I don't particularly like real life bowling for more than a few games at a time either. My main point was that novelty doesn't really make you brain work very hard, and even though I love Wii Sports I also like games that make me think.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Haven't seen Visitor Q, but it's leagues beyond Man Bites Dog. That at least was a black comedy; Irreversible is honestly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. Salo and all sorts of Asian gore included. So be warned that it's among my favorite movies ever made, but I refuse to recommend it to anyone.

Visitor Q is a bit of a Black Comedy as well, but I was using shock films which get a point across. Also... you frighten me by the "leagues beyond" part. Man Bites Dog honeslty chilled me to the core and appaled me (though, in the best possible way). Also I don't think that Man Bites Dog is completly a black comedy, but I have no knowledge of the original language so I may be missing something.
Dracko wrote:
Oh, Irréversible is fantastic. I did a presentation on it back in high school, along with A Clockwork Orange and Un Chien andalou. It's brutal to be sure, but perfect evidence that extreme cinema is of merit.

Ok, damnit, I'm going to see this.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the funniest line in visitor q is "i call it 'True Bullying'."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the long version of man bites dog is too long

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really worried about it, start with Noe's I Stand Alone and see how you deal with that.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
parceling decalogue out
hearing that actually helps. someone told me early on that they were really interconnected and there was lots going on that I would miss if i didn't join in their marathon and I figured it for a lost cause. for some ineffable reason, i am bad at leaving off and later re-entering narrative in everything but books.

oh though irreversible seemed to have a lot of more of point than like, miike's stuff that i've seen. whether's better or worse depends on what kind of nightmares you have i think. to irreversible credit i'd also like to point out that the soundtrack is by Thomas Bangalter, who is 1/2 of Daft Punk.

Shapermc wrote:

dude once I get me some free time, I'll give it another go. I think I have to start over though because I think i've been all over whatever apartment building I'm in and i don't even know what i'm supposed to do and i'm too afraid of ruining another awesome pyramid head moment.

i probably have the worst 'games yet to complete or even play for more than 20 minutes' list of anyone who claims to care about games. i also haven't seen taxi driver and can't identify what albums beatles songs come from.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Help!" is on Help!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the funniest line in visitor q is "i call it 'True Bullying'."

Ha! I forgot I sent that to you. Did I ever ask you what you thought of it?
dark steve wrote:
the long version of man bites dog is too long

There's a long version? I only have the Criterion (used for $8.99 at a suncoast. Great deal)
dizzyjosh wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

dude once I get me some free time, I'll give it another go. I think I have to start over though because I think i've been all over whatever apartment building I'm in and i don't even know what i'm supposed to do and i'm too afraid of ruining another awesome pyramid head moment.

Also, the game will only take you 15 hours at most to finish your first time. See if this helps: "drop the soda down the garbage shaft"

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ha! I forgot I sent that to you. Did I ever ask you what you thought of it?

you sent it to me? when? i borrowed it from a friend.

i have a neighbor who may need his fucking head kicked in for a number of reasons, and i have the feeling i may need to have a conversation with this guy about what constitutes proper mail handling and early morning record playing during the week. and how to answer your door instead of badly pretending you're not home. two/three birds with one stone, etc.

the only good thing about those conversations is that feeding off of someone's fear is like the best drug you've ever done in your life. the buildup is kinda gross but the afterglow is pure silk.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you never got it? Damn I sent it with a disc of "Look around you" on it. Same time I sent the disc to Sergei, and he got his, I forgot about sending it to you.

FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i was pretty cataclysmically drunk when i played wii bowling, but i'd point to it as an excellent example of novelty in action. the more invested gamer folk tend to associate novelty with superficiality (or timewaves, if you had a lot of fun in college) but with games it's a pretty important facet of what makes something compelling.

the other facet being "doing it well" as there are going to no doubt be a bunch of rather hackneyed games using the wii in not so great ways, novel or otherwise.

I just wanted to mention that I was there, and it was just fun to watch dhex make all these crazy faces and yell at the screen. I have to wonder if he does the same when playing, say F.E.A.R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: