The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Famicom BASIC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Famicom BASIC Reply with quote

On this Atariage Thread about Nintendo's Innovation in Controllers the Famicom BASIC system came up.

There's The Wikipedia Page which doesn't say too much but I was trying to glean more from this page of Nintendo videos

I wonder if it's as programmable as I assume it was...
this page makes it sound like some of the games demo'd weren't type-ins, but built-ins... hopefully on the source code level but I dunno

Anyway, it made me realize one of the things that was missing from pretty much every 8bit BASIC I messed around with: built-in sprites! Apple didn't have sprites I think, C=64 and Atari only had them through Peeks and Pokes and stuff.

For some reason it makes me think...could you imagine how much a programming kit for the Wii could be? Maybe a little environment to compose or download a game onto an SD card, then boot the disc, and then the game... it could leave yaroze in the dust, especially if there's a decent API for the controllers.

Then again, 3D programming can be a real bear...
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Microsoft XNA thing seems to be the way to go. $99 a year for the SDK and tools to compile and run games on your own 360 is a steal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: