The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e-penis charts (sales) [Next-Gen Trends]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: e-penis charts (sales) [Next-Gen Trends] Reply with quote

Ok, now I don't really care too much about sale charts of games (and particularly not sale charts from another country), but I follow them with a mild passing interest.

The most recent Japanese Sales Charts look like the last couple of weeks (months) of sales charts: tons of DS, lots of Wii, and the PS2 still selling well. But they have almost all had at least one next-gen console title on the top thirty list. Today there were none. Here's the breakdown:

DS: 21
Wii: 5
PSP: 2
PS2: 2

The last game on the list was actually a Kanji test preparation program (as in non-game). I don't want this to turn into a "DS is winning!" thread, I'm more interested in exploring what this could possibly mean about gaming trends and next-gen gaming. I mean, a study tool is selling better than any next-gen 360 or PS3 game.

After reading a recent interview with Ray Nakazato (conducted by Brandon Sheffield) it seems like this trend is getting more and more noticed by developers as well. He basically states that people looking for games in the more game-y end of things are going to need to start turning to US released games in Japan.

What are your thoughts on these trends in gaming?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

convergence? cell phones become debit cards; game systems become portable mavis beacon typing tutor sims.

and maybe japan is burning out on the whole child molester sims thing? maybe arcade games about walking your dog are starting push people into thinking "hey, i don't want to die with a heart full of regret and a closet full of collectible leash controllers."

also this is a temporary bump, at least from what i can tell. a long-term breakdown of the past five years might be more helpful in this regard. (question: why do game makers hide sales numbers behind sub services? is it just because there are so many retail outlets, so it requires a soundscan-esque service to track?)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
and maybe japan is burning out on the whole child molester sims thing?

Not yet they aren't

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see.

hmm.

hmmmmmmmmmm.

SUH SUH SUH
SOUL CANCER!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: