The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The thwarted attempted game buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

You are trying to get a game and are thwarted you...
cry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
call around to other stores
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
play more pokemon
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
wait
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: The thwarted attempted game buy Reply with quote

At lunch today I tried to go to my local Los Angeles gaming establishment only to get there and find out that the last copy was sold. I didn't ask the guy to hold one because I figured Sony, in its abundant wisdom, would have made tons of copies of this greatly reviewed game. But no I get there and I see a US PSP box, on the counter a day early, but no God of War!

This is tragic and I wonder if I should bother calling around or just wait until I can get it there. If I didn't own a PSP or wasn't improverished I would have bought the US one. As it is now that one was being contemplated by a Japanese guy who I was debating the 'portability' of it with.

I think deep down inside this Japanese guy envied because I was man enough to admit Xbox didn't really "do" anything for me. Though I did enjoy Halo and I'm glad and followed Mr. Mechanical's advice and got one, it's just my honeymoon with it, ended in tragedy.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't tried that hard to get a game in a very long time.

may the gods (of war!) be with you.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only games I buy in stores are impulse purchases or retro stuff.

Big new games I tend to order off the net for cheap.....

Then again, I did buy a DS yesterday, and rather than chronic European shortages Ive been hearing about, the store had over a dozen left on the shelf. Then again, they were a supermarket. After which I went to buy some bread rolls, they were out. So I did indeed go around to another store. Though I'd admit there is little correlation between my bread roll buying habits and your PSP story of woe.

Have you tried buying online? Goodluck. (what is Gods of War? Surely you should give us a brief outline of what it is? Sadly I have not been following the PSP in recent weeks, the last review I read was for Ac!d.)
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
what is Gods of War?

Ahem.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's especially bad when you check online and/or call for availability and see they have it, only to find it's nowhere to be found when you arrive.

OR! Worse yet, you find the case on the shelf, take it up to buy it, it's the last one they have, and they CAN'T FIND THE GAME!!! True story, it's happened to me several times. It's psychologically damaging.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame because God of War is easily the best game I've played in a long time. Remember Rygar on PS2? This is Rygar done right, and much better than it has any business being. I wish it was on PSP so that I could try out my new toy and play the best game of 2005 (tied with RE4).

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
OR! Worse yet, you find the case on the shelf, take it up to buy it, it's the last one they have, and they CAN'T FIND THE GAME!!! True story, it's happened to me several times. It's psychologically damaging.

OR! They give you the "new" game CD/DVD and it is mildly scratched and finger printed and the manual is bent or something. I can't tell you how many times I have turned down a game like that.

Anyways, I usually just make another stop on the way home and will find it. If I take a certain route home I will pass: 2 EBgames, 2 Gamestops and a Game Exchange. Only 2 of those stores would be considered "out of the way" and only by a few blocks at that. It is crazy. I either have an odd commute or I am in the Mecca of game coperations. There are also about 1EB and 1 GS that are slightly more out of the way, but still in a good distance.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually I do pretty good getting games...gone are the days when I would put 5.00 down to preorder...so far today I have struck out again too. I might be forced to have to delay my eventual satisfaction

SuperWes that is good to know because Rygar is crappy.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
OR! They give you the "new" game CD/DVD and it is mildly scratched and finger printed and the manual is bent or something. I can't tell you how many times I have turned down a game like that.

Yeah, I usually pass on the last copy of anything, unless it's some crazy deal, or it's something that's supposed to be long out of print yet mysteriously present and non-used at EB or GS.

shapermc wrote:
If I take a certain route home I will pass: 2 EBgames, 2 Gamestops and a Game Exchange.
My work is about 2 minutes drive from 2 Gamestops, an EB, Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us. So most days when I manage to take a lunch I browse at one of these or the other. BUT! I've been known to go way way out of my way to stop by a store that has what I'm looking for on the way home.

Legal Step, the shelf at the closest EB to me was filled with non-preordered copies of God of War today. So I'm not sure why you guys got the short end, wherever you are. I would have bought it, if not for the fact that I'm ashamed of the growing pile of games I've yet to finish. It looks pretty good.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
My work is about 2 minutes drive from 2 Gamestops, an EB, Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us.

Oh shit, well then. That same route passes a Best Buy, Target, 2 Wal-Marts and about 5 video rental stores which also cary new games now. At least I know that New Orleans is not the peak of consumerism that I thought it may be.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I wish it was on PSP so that I could try out my new toy and play the best game of 2005 (tied with RE4).
-Wes

Here I go! Thread hijack!

On a similar but totally unrelated topic, has anybody seen any PSPs in stock today? Not me!

I resisted preordering one on the basis of it being awfully expensive for now, but I could feel it fucking pulling me like a magnet... ugh, I've got a sickness.

Shapermc, I'm sure that New Orleans, like Columbia, Maryland (where I work), is Stripmallville. Around here you could drive for ten miles without ever losing sight of at least one place where I could buy a video game.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
has anybody seen any PSPs in stock today? Not me!

Yup! I got up at 8:00 and went to Best Buy to get mine. They were nice enough to give everyone in line $5 off any game as a reward for getting up early and they gave free $20 gift cards to anyone who bought 3 games. I've still got one on pre-order at Gamestop if anyone in St. Louis (or willing to pay the shipping) wants one but forgot to pre-order.

The line wasn't totally out of hand, so I'm sure they had them in stock until at least 10. If you're trying to find one I would shy away from dedicated game stores right now. They most likely pre-sold all of theirs through pre-order.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

launch sales are the craziness.

god bless you nutty bastards.

you know what would be funny? doing a short on waiting to buy a psp, getting it, and then yanking it out of the packaging and destroying it in front of everyone else waiting in line.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Rygar.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I liked Rygar.

Me too, but God of War is just...MMMmmmmm. It'll make you never want to touch Rygar again.

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar's movement felt too stilted. God of War feels much more fluid and natural. In more ways than one it is Rygar done right without all the kinks.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I joined the bandwagon on this... the gift card paid for it so... I can't complain.

Sorry Legal, our store had over 10 copies.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
you know what would be funny? doing a short on waiting to buy a psp, getting it, and then yanking it out of the packaging and destroying it in front of everyone else waiting in line.

You must have seen that episode of the Simpsons too-- I was thinking that very same thing.

Mmmm... PSP...

Maybe I'll go try one out at EB today.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which episode? i probably did, but my brain is coated in a thin layer of resin.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
which episode? i probably did, but my brain is coated in a thin layer of resin.

The one where Mr. Burns pays Homer to buy Spiderman #1 (?) and then eat it, which causes Comic Book Guy to collapse. It's just funny since it was on a few nights ago is all.

But yeah, that would be pretty funny.

I may go see if my EB has a demo PSP that I could ogle today, but I don't think I'm ready to buy yet.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah. he calls him his monkey and makes him ruin christmas.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this and MrMech is right, this is how Rygar should have been. It's like they took Rygar broke it and then built it again from the ground up. I keep powering up my blades and whatnot...good stuff.

Oh yeah I finally got it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did rygar fall flat?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally enjoyed Rygar, but then I did only pay $5 for it. I guess when it's compared to other stuff though, it seems a little... light, and almost unfinished. It starts off pretty strong, but gets less and less improessives as it goes on. I especially dislike the way the camera works , and how that effects jumping later on in the game. But then you barely take any damage at all from a missed jump that in many other games would kill you, which is in itself a problem. Oh, and the princess who looks like Britney Spears is pretty dumb.

It's got some good points, like the high destructability of stages, the graphics, and... well, no, the fighting engine is a little crappy too, sorry.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar had some camera issues that hampered play and the combat felt somewhat neutered. That, and it was a bit too long for it's own good, it just kept going after you would've expected it to end and the level of polish slowly degraded as the game went on.

That and action wasn't fast or frantic enough, and you spent more time breaking stuff in the environment than you did slashing enemies with the diskarmor. Animation wasn't as fluid as it could have been too. Overall it was just a lot of little things that took away from it that added up in the end.

That said, Arcadia is still one of my favorite video game levels.

So far, God of War is just awesome, through and through. I got it last night and I've been playing it today. I'm really getting the feeling that this is what 3D action brawlers should have been by now, but for some reason haven't. It's like developers were too hung on getting the camera right or something.

It's also very focused. I mean, like Ninja Gaiden Xbox focused. I think it's because it's the brainchild of David Jaffe. This is the game he wanted to make, and he wanted to make an awesome, bloody game with a modest amount of T&A.

It's not as hard as Ninja Gaiden, though it still manages to feel like a challenge. It mainly focuses on letting you do cool shit and feeling badass, whereas Ninja Gaiden focused on training you to actually be badass. Both games are really quite different, but they have their similarities it seems.

Ok, enough talk, I'm going to go back to shoving my blades down the throats of minotaurs and twisting the heads off of gorgons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: