The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

these are the games of summer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: these are the games of summer. Reply with quote

can a videogame be said to inhabit a season?

shenmue is emphatically winter - not just because the game is set around christmastime, but because it is a game about seeking the warmth of loved ones and of familiar routines as a heavy, intruding cold threatens to consume and numb you. is umihara kawase fall - a cool, quiet time of explorations both external and internal on a sepia-stained lakefront, pink sneakers and fishing lure grazing the water's edge?

what is summer? is it light and warmth, the cool clarity of a night with a thousand stars, a breeze rippling across a sea of grass, a quiet moment away from routine to assess one's growth? what games are summer? are streets of rage / bare knuckle's stages the hot, wet nights of deep summer? is outrun the summer breeze that blows through your hair?

tell me what games evoke summer for you, o treasured forum compatriots - not just the tone, but the sense of the season. what game makes you feel like a summer's afternoon?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory Mario Sunshine mention.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Nintendo saying 'we decided to release Mario Sunshine in summer because it is hot and this game has sunshine in it!!' or something and I remember thinking 'that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard'. First, no-one wants to sit indoors playing games when it's sunny out, especially not Mario fucking Sunshine. Second, shut up. Third, games are bought and played all through the year regardless of their release date so tailoring it to be played only in one season is dumb unless it's Oh No Christmas Lemmings. Fourth, shut up. Fifth suck my balls.

Not to dump on your thread, Dessgeega, which is about something completely different (people's seasonal playing habits ). Um. I played a lot of Super Mario Bros 3 around Christmas. I think you tend to play more round Christmas/holiday season because more people are indoors and there's more people with whom you want to spend time with and bond with but don't necessarily want to have to talk to.

Derailing the topic slightly, I don't play a lot of games now. I seem to watch a lot of films, though. When games start giving me a reason to play them, I'll play them, but the medium (unlike film) has only really just started realizing its potential and the people in charge, making the games and buying the games are so dumb and boring it's going to take like 30 years before good games actually start getting made in earnest. If more games were good I'm sure I'd play them all the time! Byeeee!

Last edited by Harveyjames on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Games was always a good summer game. Also, Summer Games.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what Cycle said.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so damn hot over here that I'll play nearly anything to stay out of the heat. No Mario Sunshine though. Weird.

During summer I tend to pick strategy games that I enjoyed earlier in the year and ride those out until other titles come along, due to the normal drought. Nothing specific, just old stand-bys like the Age of Empires and Total War series.

Mario Kart definitely makes me think of summer though. I played it constantly with a friend for the first few summers after it was released. I think all but two courses are outside, so I'm sure that doesn't hurt. Although I do enjoy the image of grass flickering under the tires, and I'm fairly sure I had that in mind when I puttered around in my go-cart as a kid.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't going to post here but after the above poster mentioned mario kart i realized i had some of the same memories of mario kart 64, which, um, pretty much delegates this discussion to someplace beneath aesthetics; most of my nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with whether a game is intended as the "summertime" sort or no.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to have drifted from metaphor to memory, with a strange bit of spite thrown in courtesy of Harveyjames. So I'm going to knock it back to its roots, I hope.

Excitebike 64 feels like summer to me. Everything in that game plays at a fever pitch--the bikes are loud, they get big air, they crash fantastically; the tracks are replete with scenery, changes in elevation, and stunning shortcuts--the game mechanics are persistently verdant in that sense. And maybe something about the racing genre generally screams summer, evoking memories of silly, arbitrary contests that go with the season.

More in line with what the others have posted: I didn't get a real video game system--I don't count my dusty Game Gear--until I was 13 years old. My family lived (and still does) in the suburbs of Atlanta, but my mom worked in the city. During a few summers, when I was out of school, everyday my mom would take me to my cousins' house near where she worked, and you had better believe they had all the nintendos. Back then, I hated Zelda--I have no idea which one, but probably all of them--because it was such a single player game, and if I tried to watch I would have to hear that low, minor dungeon music over and over and over again while watching Link go back and forth across all the same fucking rooms he had already visited 20 times. But Super Mario Kart and Super Mario 64 enthralled me (the latter still does in a way that I'm not sure another game ever will). It probably wasn't more than a couple of weeks, but it felt like an eternity when my cousin and I played Mario Kart every day for hours to try to keep Luigi from winning the Donut Plains 1 race on 150cc. And playing Rainbow Road for the first time was such a moment of awe! What a weird, dangerous course! Then a couple summers later we played Mario 64, passing the controller back and forth each time one of us died or got a gold star, trying to figure out how to do that tricky wall-jump, or just shooting ourselves out of the cannons in the first level with the Wing Cap on.

So, summer!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about seasons, but Easter for me means Metroid. I beat the original Metroid for the first time on Easter day back in the day and from then on I somehow end up playing Metroid games around Easter time.

Also DOA Volleyball is a good summer game.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so hot during the summer that i generally don't play many games for fear of overheating the 'puter. Though some late night gaming sessions (headphones, side of case removed) are fun, especially anything dark and dreary and 3D-ish (fear, etc).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall/Winter is a good time for apocalyptic titles. Panzer Dragoon Zwei's cold landscapes and warm colors suit fall, I think.

MGS 2 for the hazy, orange dog days of summer.

I tend to associate Kirby pretty exclusively with bright, happy seasons. Though hey, I live in California and it's bright here year round.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring - Katamari Damacy
Summer - Outrun 2
Fall - Silent Hill
Winter - Metroid
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo Kazooie seems quite Summery to me; light, leisurely, generally pleasant. In fact a large number of n64 games feel Summery to me...maybe because they are hazy.

(Golden Eye, Perfect Dark and Conker's BFD are definitely winter games though)
fish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i associate playing a small toy guitar with the holidays/winter.
because thats when new small toy guitars are released, and everybody buys them, and it becomes impossible for any kind of gathering not to degenerate into an orgy of small toy guitars. and there are a lot of gatherings around that time of year.

that said, i am more excited about rock band now, than i was about x-mas when i was 6. i didnt start freaking out about x-mas 6 months early, when i was 6.
wourme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First titles that come to mind, not necessarily for conscious reasons:

Spring: Klonoa
Summer: Destiny of an Emperor
Fall: Faxanadu
Winter: Secret of Mana

Harveyjames wrote:
Derailing the topic slightly, I don't play a lot of games now. I seem to watch a lot of films, though. When games start giving me a reason to play them, I'll play them, but the medium (unlike film) has only really just started realizing its potential and the people in charge, making the games and buying the games are so dumb and boring it's going to take like 30 years before good games actually start getting made in earnest. If more games were good I'm sure I'd play them all the time! Byeeee!

I'm kind of in this situation at the moment, too. Nothing on the new consoles looks interesting to me. Nothing at all. But I imagine that will change eventually. I'm not really into movies, so for me books have been filling the void.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
Fall: Faxanadu

I endorse this.

There isn't a better example of a game browner than Faxanadu that just screams fall weather.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone still remembers Squaresoft's "Summer of Adventure."

For me, summers have always been about playing Japanese RPGs. In fact, the previous summer was the first time that I can remember in which I did not play an RPG at all. Actually, I don't recall playing games at all during the last summer and that makes me sad in some ways. The summer before that I had played Skies of Arcadia to completion.

On the plus side, I was leading a wicked social life.

In general, I think JRPGs make great spring/summer games because of the wild, hopeful optimism that they inspire. Since summer's used to be about going on vacations, RPGs used to provide the perfect way to fake adventure in my heart.

Godamn, it sure does hurt to remember those days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donkey Kong Country's always been a winter game to me. I assume it has something to do with the snow levels. Otherwise, the game seems summer-like. :s
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nostalgia really is getting violent; it's incredible. of course games can't be separated from that for a minute.

every summer since the game's release, i played through final fantasy tactics with a friend of mine. this is the first time i'm playing it alone in almost ten years, right now.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, come to think of it... I generally have the most interest in gaming during the fall.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to make the time for RPGs in the winter.

I have this weird condition in where I am unable to play fighters, shooters or any twitchy games if my hands become cold. It's like I'm paralyzed. Unlike RPGs where I don't really have to pay attention to what I'm doing since things are usually a slow enough pace to not get killed.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
You know, come to think of it... I generally have the most interest in gaming during the fall.
This is when the most/highest profile new games are being released, though?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being so simple that a game set on a tropical island should succeed at suggesting summertime for me.

Perhaps I just have a poor sense of the seasons.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you see, the Isle of Delfino was probably in the Equatorial expanses of the mushroom kingdom, so that kind of setting could occur year round, rendering the idea of summer there so constant as to be useless. It should bear the subtitle "SimAruba."

This would obviously lead to a painful discussion of the semi-Aruban stereotypes presented in Mario Sunshine as multi-colored humanoids with big noses, no mouths, a propensity for mumbling, and improper island administration.

Obviously,though, you should be placed in the remedial videogame climate and geography courses. You probably don't need to suck HarveyJames's balls, though.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so. Where I'm from, though, the only time one would travel to Aruba is during the summer. So!
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFVII, Outrun 2/2006 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles are my summer games, basically.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSX is totally a winter game for me, for obvious reasons. Snowy games are a lot more fun to get into when it's freezing cold out and you have the sensation of frosty skin still in your memory.

I dunno about summer games. The only one I can really think of is DoA Beach Volleyball, for obvious reasons. Nice-u spike-u!
antitype

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with Toups that fall is pretty much the best season for videogames, and not only because that's when all the best/biggest titles are usually released. I guess fall is pretty much the best season for everything. Summer is pretty close, though!

Spring
Ico, Katamari Damacy

Summer
God Hand, Killer 7 (summer at night), Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Earthbound

Fall
Shadow of the Colossus, RE4, Half-Life 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Link's Awakening (monochrome)

Winter
D2
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring: Cubivore (and attracts 2 females...)
Summer: Sky Gunner
Fall: Ogre Battle
Winter: DEFCON Christmas Mod
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
Fall/Winter is a good time for apocalyptic titles. ...

Spring/Summer is apocalyptic titles for me. I don't find them dark. Something about them makes me feel happy and hopeful. Some kind of Phoenix thing is looping in the back of my mind. Like listening to Hazy Shade of Winter and getting sunshiney vibes off of it.

Fall/Winter: Abortive attempts at revisiting RPGs. The oil painting character art style of IWD2 appeals to me, especially in this season. But I can't get into them anymore. I've tried all of the combinations. Maybe aimlessly wander Morrowind looking at the alien architecture. As a remedy for game-malaise I break out the Adventure games. Pretty much to look at things that are not Winter. The Endless Journey, Anachronox (skipping combat with cheat codes), the MYST Collection (with walkthroughs).

Any time: I sort through mods for HL/HL2, Doom3, FOT.

I always have the mindlessness of CS:S at the ready.
And GTA3/VC/SA for more aimless wandering.

Next up: I'm going to get Stalker and wish that Katamari Damacy was available on PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: