The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Comfort" games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: "Comfort" games? Reply with quote

What games do you playthrough everynow and again, because it is comfortable like an old pair of shoes... rather than being the hottest newest, most challenging game on the block.

For me it has to be Prince of Persia Sands of Time, I really enjoy the ambience of the levels, the whole feel of it. The general fluidity of the moveset. And I love the cleverness of the levels (even though I've played them before). Before I get the dagger I try to see the different ways I can get through the level, like avoiding the guards by jumping pillar to pillar so they can't get at me.

What are your games (if you have them) and what is it that has you play them so often?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play through super mario land whenever i need something comforting. it was designed around the limitations of the original gameboy, making it a pretty laid back experience on a gameboy player or sp. it's short enough to finish in one sitting. and the level design is so familiar and so good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outrun2006.

Blue, blue skies.

Wonderful environments, hot cars, an open road, smooth drifting, a cheering girl by my side. It's really a perfect vision of what driving should be. Chasing down Rivals seeing the many little touches that populate that beautiful sky. Dragons, flamingos, jets, all are gorgeous.

Just looking at Outrun2006 makes me happy
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit in front of an electric fan whilst playing Outrun 2006 to simulate the wind going past me.

San Andreas seems to have become my comfort game over the past year, before that it was Mr. Domino or something, which seems to suit the status of 'comfort game' more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be Or2006 for me, too, but I don't know where to get it for my American XBox. My blue skies racing drifting game is the regular Or2

Also, Double Dragon II

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrono Trigger. The End of Time is my videogame home.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroid or SMB3, just because I grew up on them. Sorry I don't have better reasons but emotions aren't always (or often) intellectual Sad
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
It'd be Or2006 for me, too, but I don't know where to get it for my American XBox. My blue skies racing drifting game is the regular Or2

Also, Double Dragon II

You know, I think there is a store not too far from my house that had 3 copies last time I was there the week before. I can probably get it for you if you are willing to paypal me the cost to buy it and ship it to you.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawaru Made in Wario (I only have the JP one) because it's easy to play, and hella fun. I don't have to reread the instruction book to figure out how to play the damn thing.

Actually I made that up. I haven't replayed the game yet...

BUT, I want to erase my game save of Mawaru and start fresh from the beginning. I should do the same with the original, too. I haven't touched that game in ages.

But Darkwing Duck. I love that in the Hi-Def era of 3D video game playing media centers I can still enjoy Darkwing Duck. This is one of those games that you can beat twice in one sitting and still have fun with.
Six

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionic Commando. Last time I played it, though, I kind of felt awful afterwards. It really made me sad that the game had become so familiar.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also: wii sports

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be GTA3 and then San Andreas. Now I've gone through the early parts of each game too many times for them to really hold my interest.

Right now I'd say that Football Manager fills that role pretty nicely. I've got an exceptional team, so it's a fairly easy ride and since players age and retire, there are always new challenges and decisions to be made. I do feel like a bit of a chump for having bought the two most recent editions of FM when I still spend most of my time with FM2005.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario 64 ALL UP IN YOUR EYE-EYE DRACKO

But yeah, playing through the first few levels just long enough to get the wing cap and race the penguin a couple times and listen to the great water music in the secret level and actually get all the music stuck in my head, and triple-jumping right off the bat as I approach the castle for no reason more compelling than that I like hearing Mario say "Wah-hahhh!"
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

half life 2. i'm gonna go play some now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario 3!
super c! (which i've never beaten, actually. can't get past the boss in the level with the elevator)
tetris and/or puyo puyo!
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario Bros. 3, Link's Awakening, The Secret of Monkey Island, X-Com: UFO Defense, Chrono Trigger, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus.

I also wrote about Dragon Quest VII's merits as a "comfort game" a while ago.

antitype wrote:
DWVII is wonderful because it's the simple and charming jRPG aesthetic stretched out to a pastoral extreme. I'm still not very far, really (30-some hours in?), but I haven't yet gotten any sort of impression that there's a Great Evil threatening the world — it's all about adventure and discovery, pure and simple. The plot is even kind of absurd: you're discovering new land by putting together puzzles that reveal their locations, sending the tiny island that your characters live on (population: a few dozen?) into a frenzy because they're finally realizing that they're not alone in the vast blue sea! This has something to do with an epic battle of the distant past, in which God and the Demon Lord fought and all the lands (except for your own, Estard) were "locked away" with magical seals before they both disappeared from the world, apparently.

But none of that really matters, because it's how the game feels that draws you in. Of course you're going to have to have a perverse affinity for level-grinding and all kinds of standard jRPG fare, but atmospherically DWVII is a dream. It's comfort food; it's your favorite dumb, nostalgic '80s movie, with a bucket of popcorn, blankets, and fuzzy blue Slime slippers.

I've since found that Terranigma is thematically somewhat similar to Dragon Quest VII, with more of a Chrono Trigger feel to it. I still haven't finished it and thus it remains "new" to me, but I could see it becoming one of these comforting games...
professor_scissors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tetris Attack for this. It helps that my old skills have somewhat reawakened, meaning that I never, ever lose against the computer anymore on Hard+.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphony of the night

man that would be just what the doctor order if i had any time to actually go and play it right now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Doom.

If I didn't play its sequel on five days out of every week it would easily be my comfort game. Every time I find a new pwad it's like opening a box with shiny new footwear in it. Actually if DooM II were a pair of shoes it would just be the tongue and the laces, there'd be nothing else left of them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yeah, sotn fer sure.
also, i'll play a battle or two in final fantasy tactics and set it down for a month every so often.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
BUT, I want to erase my game save of Mawaru and start fresh from the beginning.

totally worth it. i played through the japanese version and then played through the american version. it's also interesting to see what stuff got changed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hoping for years to make Ikaruga my comfort game, but I find that it is akin to chess and I will likely need two or three more decades before it is actually comfortable to me.
Mesmerize

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd as it may seem, Mega Man IV. one of the first videogames I ever played. final fantasy VIII, too. I feel at home in that game.
vision

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. It's very relaxing, while not being trivially easy, since you can always try taking just one run at a level and beating as many goals as possible.

Failing that, Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed. Easily the best NFS title, and the Factory Driver mode is just the right mix of challenge and pick-up-and-playability. Evolution mode is also good, but starts out very slow and requires several hours at least.

I also agree with dessgeega's Super Mario Land. It's just so pure and friendly. That music..
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I have been hoping for years to make Ikaruga my comfort game, but I find that it is akin to sitting in a classroom reciting pi with a teacher who will whack your fingers with a cane every time you make a mistake and I will likely need two or three more decades before it is actually comfortable to me.

Fixed.

Starfox 64.

Agree with helicopterp with SM64. I just bound around the castle grounds flipping off trees and trying to punch butterflies. Eventually I'll enter the castle but the real fun was in the 3 or 4 minutes of aimless jumping around.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually classic SNES rpgs--final fantasy 6 and the aformentioned chrono trigger. specifically, zeal in ct. I'd have a special save just for zeal so i could 'visit' whenever i wanted to. it's so serene, and utopic. you know, except for the whole evil secret behind it all thing. but otherwise...

but i can't tell you how many times i (used to--before i sold my n64, stupidly) play through the goldeneye missions through. Sometimes I'd just spend time chilling in Frigate, touring the boat with invisibility on and trying to fuck with the guards.

i'm sure there are others. oh! super mario land 1 + 2 for the gameboy. kirby's dreamland.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PN03 is a game I play through at least once a year, if not twice.

It use to be SMB3, but about 5 years ago I stopped and then last year when I tried to play it again I sucked at it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm seeing a lot of people mention Outrun 2 and 2006, but I have to say, Outrun 1 is my comfort game. That, or Oblivion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like to play DDR to relax. Yeah, I'm one of those people.

The presentation is just so bare. Arrows on the screen a simple background.

I have to put a lot of effort (twisting, jumping, stomping around) into getting very little feedback (points, combo, Marvelous!). Pretty much the opposite philosophy of the videogamey simple action (push a button), big reaction (kill slimes).

It's my personal actions that will decide how much I'll enjoy it. I get a kick out of improving on previous high scores and seeing that grade improve.

It's my guilty pleasure.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "Old Pair of Shoes" comfort, nothing beats Out Of This World for me. I'm still kind of proud of my much-younger self for struggling through it the first time. I think it ends up being successful at allowing me to re-live my original triumphs even though I know the game cold because no matter how good you are at it, you're going to die a thousand goddamn times before it's over.

Bionic Commando comes close, but I don't actually get all the way through it that often. Certainly not every time I sit down with it, like I do with OOTW. I can see how it could be horrible to realize you really knew it cold -- there's a certain bleakness that it needs in order to work, a certain sense of barely scraping by while knowing that the game is only going to get more cruel.

For "slumping down on the couch after a hard day to relax" comfort, I usually pop in one of the Katamari games. We <3 Katamari frustrates me if I play it to win (because I have no idea how to finish it -- ashamed of a videogame non-accomplishment!), but if I just sit down for a half hour to roll up the biggest goddamn snowman you've ever seen, that can be very nice indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mega Man 2. It is just an incredibly smooth experience; focused, elegant, and consistantly satisfying.

Mega Man 4 is also really good, if a bit less concise...also I don't have a copy of it.
Mesmerize

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the charge shot that appeared in MMIV is vastly underrated. I also love the design of all the enemies, and the music, and basically everything else about the game. Ring Man's stage is classic.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
Mega Man 2. It is just an incredibly smooth experience; focused, elegant, and consistantly satisfying.

Mega Man 4 is also really good, if a bit less concise...also I don't have a copy of it.

For me, Mega Man 3. Either Magnet Man or Needle Man, mostly for the colors and music.

Also, OutRun2(006) is good, but I still perfer Daytona for the Saturn, even if the blue skies are kinda dithered.

That level where you pick up the rain clouds in Katamari 2 is really nice.

And I like to pop in SoTC for five minutes at a time, just to tackle colossi numbers 2 and 5 every once in a while.
Isfet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being that i'm a complete whore for most Mega Man-related games, i think an argument could be made about the merits of any of the games (aside from maybe the EXE series). all of the NES ones are appealing to me for various reasons, especially 3, but...

Mega Man 2 is the game i find myself playing at least once a month. it's not too long and not too short; just the perfect length to play through in one sitting.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirby Superstar
beatmaniaIIDX (Yes, I'm one of those people too.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
super mario land

Pijaibros wrote:
Outrun2006

Those are two of the big ones for me. Also, Spatter/Tricycle-san on Mame (current score: around ~400,000) and Marvel Land on the Genesis.
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthbound. Every time I play, I feel in love and harmony with my species. This is special because it doesn't happen often otherwise.

If I want to remember what it was like to be eight, I play Wonderboy in Monster Land or Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap. I imagine Cave Story might eventually join this group.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangai-O.

And www.isketch.net , chatroom pictionary
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Penguin Game.

The landmine version is fun, too.

Very relaxing.

Here kitty-kitty.

Cadbury
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brahma Force relaxes hell out of me, but only during Winter.
Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto 3
Red Faction

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Hawk games, with the exception of the Underground titles.
I'll spend hours doing lines on self-designated gaps and obstacles.

I can also ride around Kirby Air Ride's City Mode forever.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Comfort" games? Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
For me it has to be Prince of Persia Sands of Time, I really enjoy the ambience of the levels, the whole feel of it. The general fluidity of the moveset. And I love the cleverness of the levels (even though I've played them before). Before I get the dagger I try to see the different ways I can get through the level, like avoiding the guards by jumping pillar to pillar so they can't get at me.

It's also really easy, once you know what you have to do. Also, uncovering additional fountain spots and sand clouds you didn't see before is nifty. Even though I don't have prince of persia for gba, I always try to get those mysterious boxes of sand. I can't seem to find my way to the one in the warehouse, though (the large room with all of the shifting ramps). Also fun on repeated playthroughs: choosing the landscape view at every opportunity, attempting to peer into places beyond what normal gameplay will show you (so many times I ache for the ability to climb down the wall and explore the jungle, or leap down and join the fray in the opening scene, etc)
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MK1 and 2.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invisible Vision, usually on full volume, Tetris Classic (though that's more of a boredom game, really), N, Rolling Thunder, though the second one seems to be more popular these days, the original Prince of Persia, Ski Free, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Half-Life 2 and its Minerva: Metastasis mod.

It seems Knytt is growing on me, but I'll have to see for how long, the Marathon series is now pretty cool to browse through, as in the past it was just plain frustrating not knowing where to go or what to do, interactive fiction is always popular and Invader and Gamma Bros. are neat on occasion.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooM series, Marathon series and Duke 3D since I can finish all the levels without really thinking about it these days. I used to play through DooM II every weekend for about a year.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Cycle. Doom is another of those games for me.
dongle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony of the Night and, recently, Rocket Slime.

Rocket Slime is just so happy and carefree and fun! Cheery overworld music, easy and relaxing, lots of things to toy around with.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooM definitely ranks along the top of the list. Also Goldeneye 007, Gradius on the PC Engine, and Resident Evil 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: