The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good BC Xbox games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Good BC Xbox games? Reply with quote

Wait, I'm so used to thinking about how all the games for the Xbox I want to play aren't backwards compatible with the 360. So if I actually buy a 360 despite this, is there anything worth playing that'll work?

Also a quick rundown of 360 regions and imports itt would be nice all right?
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, amongst others I've got Ghost Recon 2 (much better looking than GR1) Ninja Gaiden, Fable works too, Halo, Splinter Cell, Jade Empire, Metal Arms Glitch in the System and Rainbow Six Three.

Thief Deadly Shadows works as well, but suffers from graphics glitches. you can see lights through walls. (IE. Torches).
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent hill 4

though it does have some visual glitches during cutscenes.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Andreas
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, nothing I'm interested in or don't have a copy of on another platform. I figured as much.

There were really only a handful of interesting Xbox exclusives; I'm just miffed that they didn't bother to fix compatibility on any of them.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. There are plenty of good ones. Here's the full list. On first glance, these stick out:

Psychonauts
Black
Red Dead Revolver
Indico Prophesy
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Dead or Alive 3
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
DOOM 3
Fable
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Halo
Halo 2
Jade Empire (the worst game on this list, but a lot of people seem to like it)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel without a Pulse
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tork: Prehistoric Punk
Wakeboarding Unleashed: Featuring Sean Murray
Raze's Hell
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Forza Motorsport

The biggest problem with the Backwards Compatibility is that they don't have a lot of Japanese games. It kinda makes sense given the divide in programming quality and styles between the US and Japan, but it sucks regardless. The biggest omissions right now are Jet Set Radio, Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, the Otogi games, and Stranger's Wraith. Hopefully they'll get filled in eventually.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see Wes, the last five you mention there are the only ones I'm interested in that I don't already have elsewhere. Microsoft has just made it clear to me repeatedly that I'm the exact opposite of their target market.

That Circuit City coupon's dead anyway. I can keep waiting just fine.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The store here accepted it just fine this morning! It wouldn't register when entered, but they gave me the $40 off anyway.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Microsoft has just made it clear to me repeatedly that I'm the exact opposite of their target market.

I'm not sure if you can attribute the differences is programming styles between America and Japan to Microsoft. They're not basing the backwards compatibility list on popularity/sales alone or else Jet Set Radio would surely be on there (it was a pack-in at one point). It's not like you can just say, "Ok, I'm going to figure out how to get Japanese games running," since Japan doesn't have as many standards methods of sharing code as the US does and they're probably all done very, very differently. Microsoft was criticised for having Barbie's Horse adventures on there, but since it's a renderware game that probably doesn't sway far from the standard libaries it was probably a cinch to get running. It's nothing against you or your tastes, it's just a byproduct of the differences in culture. It doesn't make it suck any less that these games aren't on there, but it at least shows that if Microsoft could get them running they would.

If you're worried about Microsoft not trying to appeal to you be sure to look at the their downloadable games and the upcoming lineup. It's an area that's not on the store shelves, making it much harder for non-system owers to look at it, but I like its game selection and imlementation a lot better than the virtual console at this point, and it's probably the best reason there is to get your system online. Symphony of the Night, Sonic, and an Online-playable Worms are all due out soon, and those should all be pretty great.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, Microsoft just found a reliable base with the Halo/Tom Clancy/EA Sports/Team Ninja thing, and rather than branch out at all they just plowed ahead into that full bore. It seems to permeate every aspect of their philosophy, from design to marketing. All Very Serious and Violent and Humorless (and largely colorless or camoflauged as well). To the point where something Viva Pinata comes along and seriously draws my interest, just by being different stylistically.

I'm really interested in seeing what happens to them if the PS3 fails. Will they have to branch out from the giant beastly machine existence and diversify, or will they just get lazy and sit back on their HD laurels?

I guess I really just want to play Dead Rising.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much to add to this having never owned an xbox or 360, but:

try to remember what xbox releases were like before live started to get its act together.

lots of "whoa what do we do with all of this memory" platformers and the like. weird stuff, honestly. microsoft had no idea who to pay to make what.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
From what I've seen, Microsoft just found a reliable base with the Halo/Tom Clancy/EA Sports/Team Ninja thing, and rather than branch out at all they just plowed ahead into that full bore. It seems to permeate every aspect of their philosophy, from design to marketing. All Very Serious and Violent and Humorless (and largely colorless or camoflauged as well). To the point where something Viva Pinata comes along and seriously draws my interest, just by being different stylistically.

Again, this is just perception. Look at the Xbox Live games and look at stuff like Kameo, Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie, Fusion Frenzy 2, and (to some extent) Crackdown and you'll see a much lighter tone. The overall problem isn't Microsoft, it's your fellow gamers. As Ethoscapade pointed out, Microsoft's game division was far different in the beginning. They put out experimental stuff like Voodoo Vince, Whacked, Sneakers, and Blinx: The Cat. The problem was that they just weren't making any money with those games and had to switch up their offerings. You bring up Viva Pinata and I think that's a great example of a game that would be nice to have more of, but sold like utter shit. Thankfully, there's still room for less dark and angry stuff via Xbox Live that doesn't require that they sell hundreds of thousands to break even.

A coworker of mine mentioned to me today that he spent all weekend playing Heavy Weapon in Multiplayer. He spends most of his Xbox time playing Oblivion (Still!), so this obviously isn't something he'd go to the store and buy, but since he was able to try it out for free he ended up really liking it. Surprising!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: