The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-for-1 sale on Fox DVD box sets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebrey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: 2-for-1 sale on Fox DVD box sets Reply with quote

www.deepdiscountdvd.com is selling Fox box sets for 2-for-1. Some stuff you should pick up if you don't have them already: Alien Quadrilogy, Arrested Development, Futurama, Buffy and Angel. There's also X-Files/Millenium if they're your thing; personally, Chris Carter shows bore me to death.

I'm a bit frustrated since I just ordered a bunch of Angel, but there's some great stuff there for Christmas presents.
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I should really buy the rest of Buffy.

(Yeah, I only own the first four seasons. I find this strange as well!)
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit man, 5's the best season for Spike, Xander, Anya, and Dawn. Giles' best season was 4, Willow's might have been 3, and Buffy has a bunch of great ones, but overall, 5 is where it's at. And you need 6 for the musical and the Trio, the best Buffy villains despite what foolish fans think.

What did you think of 7? I have a feeling you're as devoted of a Buffy fan as I am, but the thing that made me enjoy even the worst Buffy episodes was that the series has such amazing main characters. And the seventh season has terrible arcs for Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles. The only characters who make it watchable are Spike and Andrew (who replaces Xander and Jonathon as the nerdy comic relief), and the occasional brilliant scene like Buffy being psychoanalyzed by a vampire. At least the worst portion of 7 is stuck together in the middle, so you can make a decent half season by just skipping from "Conversations with Dead People" to "Storyteller."
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is now no excused for anyone around here to not have Millenium seasons 1 & 2. Simply an amazing show that gets better with age.
vision

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebrey wrote:
Shit man, 5's the best season for Spike, Xander, Anya, and Dawn. Giles' best season was 4, Willow's might have been 3, and Buffy has a bunch of great ones, but overall, 5 is where it's at. And you need 6 for the musical and the Trio, the best Buffy villains despite what foolish fans think.

What did you think of 7? I have a feeling you're as devoted of a Buffy fan as I am, but the thing that made me enjoy even the worst Buffy episodes was that the series has such amazing main characters. And the seventh season has terrible arcs for Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles. The only characters who make it watchable are Spike and Andrew (who replaces Xander and Jonathon as the nerdy comic relief), and the occasional brilliant scene like Buffy being psychoanalyzed by a vampire. At least the worst portion of 7 is stuck together in the middle, so you can make a decent half season by just skipping from "Conversations with Dead People" to "Storyteller."

I'm mixed on the seventh season. I love Spike, as always, and yeah, Andrew is good. The show is clearly past it's prime at this point, but I must say I love the ending. The last five or so episodes have everything that makes me love Buffy. It is rare that I am satisfied with a conclusion, and it is for that reason that I can't really bad mouth Buffy Season 7.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gift is a more emotionally charged and deliciously cynical ending for the series (and tied in really well with Fool for Love), but Chosen is nice because it manages to give everyone a happy ending and lets the fans decide the fate of the characters. Which just makes me angrier about the character who dies - not only is it a pointless shock that we never see the emotional consequences of (I had the same problem with the deaths in Serenity), but it completely defies the idea of making a happier ending. Spike's "death", on the other hand, was a nice way to promote him to the same elevated status as Buffy & Angel, the Died Twice Club.

Also, were you actually to explore the logical consequences of Chosen, Buffy and Willow made a huge ass mistake. If you activate hundreds of superheros all over the world the vampires will be wiped out in a month, but you'll end up with the Marvel universe: every major city would have superheroes and villains battling over it. At least vampires can be taken out by normal people like Xander and Dawn; Slayers are much worse.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa

nice

huh?

how do they not have lock up?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Yeah, there is now no excused for anyone around here to not have Millenium seasons 1 & 2. Simply an amazing show that gets better with age.

Not season 3?

And can anyone vouch for The Shield? I remember I had some flatmates who were into that, but those same folks got me to waste 50 dollars on Band of Brothers, so meh?
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you like Band of Brothers?

I asked a friend about The Shield when I saw it in the sale, and he said it was entertaining but nothing compared to The Wire. Since I really only need one cop show in my life, I'm giving The Shield a pass.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Not season 3?

A part of me has grown to appreciate some of its nuances, but for the most part, I tend to pretend it doesn't exist.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebrey wrote:
Why don't you like Band of Brothers?

Cause it's like Saving Private Ryan + 7 hours. I mean, well produced, but devoid of any subtlety. At least the Call of Duty games had the excuse of being videogames.

So no Shield for me then. Maybe I'll netflix it someday.
extralife

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebrey wrote:
Also, were you actually to explore the logical consequences of Chosen, Buffy and Willow made a huge ass mistake. If you activate hundreds of superheros all over the world the vampires will be wiped out in a month, but you'll end up with the Marvel universe: every major city would have superheroes and villains battling over it. At least vampires can be taken out by normal people like Xander and Dawn; Slayers are much worse.

Well, it's about female empowerment more than anything else. Adolescent empowerment, if you take it a step further; growing up and "realizing your potential." The two goals of the series, really. If you look at it like that, killing THE CHICK THAT DIES almost makes sense too, because she's the one sacraficing for a guy, not the other way around.
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:

No need to bother, really. Catch it on TV some time, if you watch TV. That's all you'll ever need to be convinced that it's not worthwhile.

Honestly, I think it's one of those shows that only garnered recognition because it was on FX, where late-night nudity flies.
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 12 hours of 24 Season 5 yesterday. I feel awesome.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once watched the entire series of Cowboy Bebop in one day. I've never been able to replicate this feat either, mainly because I don't have that kind of time anymore Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
simplicio wrote:

No need to bother, really. Catch it on TV some time, if you watch TV. That's all you'll ever need to be convinced that it's not worthwhile.

Honestly, I think it's one of those shows that only garnered recognition because it was on FX, where late-night nudity flies.

That's what I'd originally thought. I started second-guessing when they cast Glenn Close cause I thought that might be an indication of credibility. Maybe not!

What was that show with Helen Mirren that just finished? Is it out on DVD anywhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: