The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BETAMAX CHRONICLES.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: BETAMAX CHRONICLES. Reply with quote

I spent most of last night at my friend Tony's house, as my friends and I are converting the unused first floor of his mom's 3 story house into a place to hang out since we've been spending way too much time at the nearby Starbucks (in fact, we're there so much that two of my friends even got romantically involved with some of the people that work at that Starbucks).

Anyway, after we finished moving stuff into the first floor (futons, shelves, ghetto-coffee-table/ironing-board and the like), we looked around Tony's garage for other interesting, unused items we could move into what we're calling "The Den".

That's when we found a Betamax player and a bunch of related Betamax equipment.

We don't really know what we're going to do with it, as we don't have any Betamax tapes. Hell, I was the only one there who even knew what Betamax was. What should we do with it though? I'm the only one who actually wants to keep it, everyone else thinks we should sell it to an antiques store or something (you know, since they have Betamax players there and all), and I have hopes of having some kind of ghettoed-out, Betamax film fest of some kind.
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there are betamax camcorders still around? Probably not cheap, even being useless, I'm guessing.

I would record a time capsule in Betamax. The payoff of a future generation finding a neat-o, but totally fucking unviewable, video from the past will be great enough for it to be worth it occuring after your death.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of Betamax is much higher than that of VHS. I use to have a friend that had a bunch of old horror movies on betamax and they looked really good. Betamax got some really strange releases when it was popular, so if you went looking on ebay for a collection you would probably get some stuff that would be awesome to play in the background of a gathering for hilarity. Also, betamax tapes are heavy, so shipping will be a bit expensive I imagine.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Shaper said. Betamax is sorta like Laserdisc; obscure and a little rare and the choice of movies is pretty funky (one-half "Why the hell did they release this?" and one-half "Holy crap, this came out on [obscure video format]?!"), but the quality is most excellent.

Keep an eye out in thrift stores like Goodwill, Value Village, or the Salvation Army as well as yard/garage sales--most people regard Betamax as the 8-track of video, so with a little searching you could net some decent finds. They might even be in good condition!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awaiting Betamax / PS3 comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this was still widly used for News broadcasts. Am I wrong?!
km

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
I thought that this was still widly used for News broadcasts. Am I wrong?!

Yeah, while Betamax flopped for consumers, but Betacam really took off in the people-who-shoot-video department! As in, it's still going very, very strong (after some upgrades). Check out the article on wikipedia if you are interested, it is quite thorough!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I found a catalog I can order that has listings of Betamax titles I can buy from some place in Virginia. I think I might go for it, because I haven't heard anything too bad about it.

Also, TOLLMASTER, that time capsule idea is pretty genius. If I can find a beta camcorder I totally want to do that.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Also, TOLLMASTER, that time capsule idea is pretty genius. If I can find a beta camcorder I totally want to do that.

Cowboy Bebop Episode 18: Speak Like A Child wrote:
Faye wastes money betting on horse racing, while a package arrives on the Bebop addressed to her. It contains an old Betamax video cassette, and Spike and Jet raid an abandoned museum on Earth for an appropriate VCR (they end up with a VHS set instead). The tape turns out to be made by Faye at the age of thirteen, addressed to herself; the contents provide tantalizing clues on her missing past...
Rud13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana took my post.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, everytime I think of VHS that scene where the guy is talking about VHS and has that "antique" video equiptment pops into my head (from Bebop).

dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoot your own stag films
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* no deer harmed in the making of this film

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
shoot your own stag films

Yummy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: