The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rival Schools!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Rival Schools!!!!! Reply with quote

I have this URGE to play Rival Schools right now! Though I know I can't, having lost that game about five years ago.

So let's talk about Rival Schools and why it's largely been forgotten. The game wasn't anything amazing, but it had SOMETHING to it. I wouldn't be remembering it now, if it didn't.

All right, that something was the school manga vibe and I'll admit to being captivated by it in ways that I don't even want to admit. Yet, there was also something else. The story mode on the PSX allowed for a wider sense of 'world' and character to develope, something that doesn't happen very often in capcom fighters. It certainly wasn't as deep or subtle as the King of the Fighters series, and it didn't need to be. It was shallow enough for you to pretty grasp the character on the first look ( though what you thougt of the principal in 19th century hussar uniform is snybody's guess), yet the characters themselves were odd enough to be cliches that were at least somewhat mysterious.

I often imagined going to one of those schools...

DISCUSS RIVAL SCHOOLS HERE!!!!!!

friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was at least memorable enough for Kyosuke to make it into Capcom vs. SNK 2, and for a sequel to be made on the DC. But that's about it. You did see that there appears to be a Rival Schools presence in Namco X Capcom, right?

I can also remember wishing it had been done in 2D, since 3D didn't add very much. But I'd be lying if I said I had loved it.

...Well, Hayato was pretty cool.
Master Fighter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rival Schools wasn't so bad, it was worlds better than Star Gladiator IMO. Heck I even liked it a bit more than the whole Dark Stalkers franchise, but then I like "Yakuza" styled mayhem over un-dead and mythical creatures duking it out anyhow. Who knows maybe Capcom will make one more R.S. game in the future, but it's doubtful.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fighter wrote:
Rival Schools wasn't so bad, it was worlds better than Star Gladiator IMO. Heck I even liked it a bit more than the whole Dark Stalkers franchise, but then I like "Yakuza" styled mayhem over un-dead and mythical creatures duking it out anyhow. Who knows maybe Capcom will make one more R.S. game in the future, but it's doubtful.

if The Three Stooges were ever thrown into a video game, it would be this one.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for a sequel to be made on the DC

I can't believe I have not heard of this.

I never had a DC... and it turns out that it was released as Project Justice in the US.

Damn this might finally send me over the edge and into Sega's mummified hands.
Karii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequel was Rival Schools :Project Justice and it rocked. I think that RS is perhaps my favorite fighting game of all time. The tag parts were fun and in part 2, the triple teams just got silly, I remember one where the characters would roll into a giant circle and run over the opponent. We called it the 'doughnut of death'.

Project Justice also marked the appearance of the girl with the tennis racket, Momo and shortly after my friends and I calling eachother "Fucking Momo!"s. Momo is evil...yes...evil.

You should really pick this game up. It's super cheap if you can find it.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Japanese version of Rival Schools had a dating sim mode! I'd play that!

I could never get into fighters. I've tried so many times, but I always think they're so silly and boring, with all these special move combinations that make no sense and combos and counters and whatever the hell else they have these days. I always hated playing the DC with my friend, because he'd always bring out SC and thrash my ass because he knew all the moves. That jerk. I just don't understand the appeal (though they can look pretty rad).

Thus, the only fighting games I like are ones that break the formula, and do something really different... One Must Fall, Powerstone, Smash Bros, Bushido Blade... the only time a "straight" fighting game interests me is when it has a really interesting style, or has crazy extra modes like that dating sim. For example, I enjoyed the RPG mode in Tobal (plus it looked so stylish). I couldn't have cared less about SC4. Well, apart from being able to break off the clothes of female opponents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you, what's with all the threadomancy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these threads are from before he joined.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper said TGQ loved thread revivals!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: