The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Gig or not 20 Gig, that is the question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: 20 Gig or not 20 Gig, that is the question Reply with quote

So I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a PS3 to fall into my lap, and it sounds like I might have the chance later this week. Unfortunately, the PS3 in question is a 20 Gig system instead of a 60. So my question to y'all is:

Do I get a 20 Gig, upgrade it to a 250 Gigger at some point in the future and buy a USB wi-fi adapter for internets or do I hold out for a 60 Gig wherever I might find one?

I can't decide!

Gimme some pros and cons.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PS3 game do you really need to play right now?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for the 60 gig, there might be an interesting game out by then. Oh, and you don't have to attach anything to connect to the internet.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

I think it is for research purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20, since you can add a bigger one later if you want.
BalbanesBeoulve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't it missing HDMI ports or something?
schild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20 GB is missing all sorts of shit. Don't buy it.
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toups bought it.

Make of this what you will.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20 gig PS3 is still a much better descision than the PS2's 40 gig will ever be. Deciding not to buy one would also kick ass.

If enough people don't buy the PS3, there's a good chance MGS4 will be 360-bound.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's weird. Aparently there are quite a few more Wii which have shipped than PS3s, yet the 20gig I have seen/heard spotted somewhat regularly.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schild wrote:
The 20 GB is missing all sorts of shit. Don't buy it.

There are a lot of misconceptions about this. The final answer is that they added HDMI ports to the 20 GB PS3 as well, making it not anywhere near as neutered as it originally was. Currently the only differences are:

1. A 20 GB hard drive vs. a 60 GB hard drive. It's worth noting that some games install up to 5 GB of data as a cache, effectively meaning that with the 20 GB you can only be playing up to four games at a time (closer to 3) without having to delete one from temp storage. But either the 20 or 60 can be replaced with off-the-shelf hard drive legitimately.

2. Internal Wi-Fi. I'm not sure what the effectiveness is, but the big difference here is that it's built into the system instead of taking up one of the four USB slots.

3. A built-in SD, Memory Stick, and CF card reader. USB versions of these can also be bought separately for relatively cheap. In fact, I already have USB SD and Memory Stick readers.

4. The 20 GB is fully black and the 60 GB has some silver.

So yeah, a little research shows that the end result is that they're not really as different as people seem to think they are. In my case, the biggest selling point of the 60 vs. the 20 is the internal Wi-Fi. I WILL be using wireless right from the start and probably for the console's life, and I'd rather do it without having to worry about an external dongle.

DonMarco wrote:
The 20 gig PS3 is still a much better decision than the PS2's 40 gig will ever be. Deciding not to buy one would also kick ass.

If enough people don't buy the PS3, there's a good chance MGS4 will be 360-bound.

Did you mean PS3 60 gig, or were you talking about the US release of FFXI? Also: I'll be buying my multi platform games for the 360 since I'm a sucker for achievement points and there don't seem to be much of a difference between multi-system releases. I'd like to say that MGS's Xbox release will be based on the number of PS3s sold, but it's more likely that it'll depend on whether or not anyone's willing to pay money for exclusivity (or non-exclusivity as the case may be). Probably not.

player 2 wrote:

That's a question I've been asked a lot, and I think I can actually justify it somewhat. Here's my list:

Resistance: Fall of Man, Lair, MotorStorm, Eye of Judgment, Virtua Fighter 5, Warhawk, Calling All Cars, flOw, and Lemmings 2 in the near future, and Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, FFXIII, White Knight Story, and Devil May Cry 4 in the distant future. I know a lot of these aren't quite TGQ-style games, but they all look pretty good to me. Resistance is much more applicable to me than it is many of you, simply because I still put in around 8 hours of Halo 2 each week at work and I'd like to find something that could possibly usurp it with my crew there. Also my launch PS2 from October 2000 is currently limping on its last leg and I'd like to replace it with its successor.

But the main reason for wanting one now is just because I don't see much difference between getting one now and getting one later. The system's still going to cost $500/$600 at this time next year, when most of these games are out and I actually have a reason to get one, but I don't see the reasoning in waiting for some magic, artificially set number of games to come out to justify the purchase. $600 now is the same as $600 next year as far as I'm concerned.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
player 2 wrote:

That's a question I've been asked a lot, and I think I can actually justify it somewhat. Here's my list:

Resistance: Fall of Man, Lair, MotorStorm, Eye of Judgment, Virtua Fighter 5, Warhawk, Calling All Cars, flOw, and Lemmings 2 in the near future, and Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, FFXIII, White Knight Story, and Devil May Cry 4 in the distant future. I know a lot of these aren't quite TGQ-style games, but they all look pretty good to me. Resistance is much more applicable to me than it is many of you, simply because I still put in around 8 hours of Halo 2 each week at work and I'd like to find something that could possibly usurp it with my crew there. Also my launch PS2 from October 2000 is currently limping on its last leg and I'd like to replace it with its successor.

But the main reason for wanting one now is just because I don't see much difference between getting one now and getting one later. The system's still going to cost $500/$600 at this time next year, when most of these games are out and I actually have a reason to get one, but I don't see the reasoning in waiting for some magic, artificially set number of games to come out to justify the purchase. $600 now is the same as $600 next year as far as I'm concerned.

-Wes

I think the "magic, artificially set number of games" to justify your purchase is one. Resistance is the only game that's looking good right now (is it good? I've never played it). fLOw isn't going to sell me a PS3. Neither is Calling All Cars. The MGS4/VF4/FFXIII/White Knight Story combo is pretty killer, though. When one of those comes out and I have $600 to burn, you can be damn sure that's when I'm getting a PS3.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: