The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOTC - is dull ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I never said either was more or less correct. I was just pointing out that the straighter the line the more similar the experience no matter what the play style as opposed to a more open enviroment.

Which ties in to what I thought was the greatest achievement of Half-Life 2, that being that it was a very linear game that never felt linear; that is, it forced a certain play style on the player without feeling oppressive, which I put down to excellent level design and pacing.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open environments don't necessarily mean open gameplay, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Which ties in to what I thought was the greatest achievement of Half-Life 2, that being that it was a very linear game that never felt linear; that is, it forced a certain play style on the player without feeling oppressive, which I put down to excellent level design and pacing.

No argument here.
Dracko wrote:
Open environments don't necessarily mean open gameplay, though.

True! I wonder which would lead to a more unique experience: very rigid gameplay with extremely open environments larger than real life, or an extremely linear game with more gameplay mechanics than are documentable.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
antitype

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really been keeping up with this thread (so excuse me if I seem at all off-topic), but I would like to say that while Shadow of the Colossus and Half-Life (and I would presume Half-Life 2) are quite different, they both communicate one thing very well: a sense of distance traveled. There are other videogames that do this well, too: Dragon Quest VIII, for example. I've never finished Dragon Quest VIII, and I may never, but it doesn't really matter. It's the journey that I'm there for, you know? I guess this line of thought lends itself to the mentality of playing SotC not just to run straight to the next Colossus (and explains why I don't mind if a game is not immediately compulsive (and in fact probably prefer that it is generally not, but actually allows/encourages me to take my time with experiencing it, playing in its world)) — at the end of the journey I shouldn't feel like I've just completed an intense boss rush, but rather that I've crossed immense expanses of space/time, full of wonder and beauty, with moments of action punctuating the serenity.

This is how I feel about it, anyway.

I do enjoy games that are immediately compulsive, too, though I approach them with a different (read: more "gamist") mentality. Scurge: Hive is a good example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: