The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another "games are making children into killers&quo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Yet another "games are making children into killers&quo Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061128/tc_nm/videogames_brain_dc

After reading this article I want to go kill someone. Does that mean reading news articles about violent video games will cause aggression?
danger dangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Teens who play violent video games show increased activity in areas of the brain linked to emotional arousal

good.
oligophagy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty ridiculous to assume the only revelant difference between Medal of Honor and Need for Speed is representational violence. Probably wouldn't be hard to find a pair that reversed the violence / emotional arousal relationship. Way to use a big data set, Science!

Last edited by oligophagy on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what the article is trying to say. Other than the obvious, I mean.

Emotional activity activates the emotional part of the brain! Holy shit! I heard some people cried or got scared during Saving Private Ryan. Perhaps we should ban war movies, because war is too emotional? You don't want someone learning about World War II and then hijacking a schoolbus full of (orphaned, white) schoolchildren and setting off explosives around town.

I'm not of the opinion that children should be allowed to be playing violent video games; I've actually had heated (read: f-bombs were dropped) discussions with my mother about why my little brother shouldn't be allowed to play Grand Theft Auto. I'm not afraid that he's going to become a mass murderer, though. I'm more worried about the acceptance of violence at an earlier age, before the mechanisms are in place that allow you to make healthy decisions. You might have to punch a guy who's being a dick, but only after pursuing every other option available to you. Violent media kind of affirms the standard human response of "kill 'em all, let God sort them out" which isn't healthy until a child is beyond a certain age.

Of course, video games are a lot less guilty of these kinds of changes in young behavior than, say, drunken parents, but if you try to step in to protect the children by interfering with the "holy" family, you've got a political hot potato on your hands. Video games, conveniently, have no such emotional attachment in the public arena, so off with their heads, etc.

This whole backlash against violent videogames hasn't been about protecting the young, but about feeling good about our own society and how we're not responsible. That video games can actually be hurting our young isn't an issue and will never be addressed. Instead of rational actions designed to protect children, we'll get crazy lawmakers lobbying for bans here and there and more lame excuses as to why Johnny shot his school up one day. Will we ever stop and say "hey, perhaps we should seek out these emotionally unstable individuals and teach them how to deal with their anger?" No.
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you're supposed to encourage discussion, not eliminate the need for it. Selfish prick.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Of course, video games are a lot less guilty of these kinds of changes in young behavior than, say, drunken parents, but if you try to step in to protect the children by interfering with the "holy" family, you've got a political hot potato on your hands. Video games, conveniently, have no such emotional attachment in the public arena, so off with their heads, etc.

Isn't the idea that taking part in this killing yourself is what separates videogames from the rest? It's not a minor technicality, it's what makes games games, so I can see the argument.

I agree that they are a young and misunderstood artform, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the very idea (only the yellow journalism backed by tenuous studies).

Quote:
Will we ever stop and say "hey, perhaps we should seek out these emotionally unstable individuals and teach them how to deal with their anger?" No.

That's a great solution, I guess, but what does that actually mean? Do you have a special 'unstable person' radar that beeps whenever one draws near? There's no way to tell who's unstable or not, really, and even if you were to go through the history of those with known emotional outbursts and therapy, you'd be missing a boatload of them. Even if misguided, the approach is not far-fetched: 'this thing appears to be continually agitating an undesirable result, let's remove the source.' Believe me, if they had a 'high-maintenance detector ray,' they'd use it.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danger dangler wrote:
Quote:
Teens who play violent video games show increased activity in areas of the brain linked to emotional arousal

good.

My last roommate did nothing but play halo and madden (hi scratch) all day and all that quote means is that they'll shout at the tv screen more often. A lot more often.
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:

Quote:
Will we ever stop and say "hey, perhaps we should seek out these emotionally unstable individuals and teach them how to deal with their anger?" No.

That's a great solution, I guess, but what does that actually mean? Do you have a special 'unstable person' radar that beeps whenever one draws near? There's no way to tell who's unstable or not, really, and even if you were to go through the history of those with known emotional outbursts and therapy, you'd be missing a boatload of them. Even if misguided, the approach is not far-fetched: 'this thing appears to be continually agitating an undesirable result, let's remove the source.' Believe me, if they had a 'high-maintenance detector ray,' they'd use it.

In many cases, there is an "after the fact" account of about a million signs. Friends notice erratic behavior, teachers notice teasing, parents notice violent mood swings and alcoholism. It's very rare that what we often call a "normal" human being just suddenly snaps and murders someone. Usually, there was a history of that person learning to accept that behavior, whether consciously or subconsciously, or a large amount of peer pressure being exerted on a person, or a mood disorder, or something. Murders, more often than not, don't occur in a vacuum, but are the culmination of a long history of events.

No one often feels the need to get involved if, say, a kid's father beats him, or we see a kid being bullied while walking down the street. We kind of hope that something happens to make it right, but we don't demand any action. But if the media presents the shocking news that a kid that shot someone played video games, we (the majority we) get outraged! Those video games, they must have done something!

It's a lot easier to try to ban video games than it is to say that "modern society's image of the family needs to change radically in order to accomodate the stresses it has to deal with" because video games are very definite entites, while family issues are complex. They also have the benefit of being around so often as to feel "natural"; I don't have the hard numbers, but I'm willing to bet that the number of people killed by someone who had recently drunk alcohol is much higher than the number of people killed by someone who had recently played video games and then immediately killed someone; however, alcohol will never seriously be talked about as a ban target. Even if it's more of a danger, and even if the link (especially in drunk driving cases) is far easier to prove.

I'm not sure as to what I'm suggesting. Your post brings up the idea "these problems are very complex, what's your solution?" and I really don't have the answer. But from where I'm sitting, the "experts" on the issue seem to be working on third-rate causes of a major problem in society and then giving it first-rate cause status. The debate in the media in among politicians is no longer about actually improving the situation, because the solutions they're proposing aren't anywhere near the roots of the problem.

I have ideas, of course, but historically my kinds of ideas have lead to Very Bad Things, so I'm not even going to seriously suggest them. Everyone thinks that extremely stupid people shouldn't have children if they can't take care of their own problems, but when you start to seriously suggest doing something about that, you've gone beyond your typical nanny-state territory into something far darker. I was run out of a neighborhood by threats from a person whose mother was a crack dealer and part-time prostitute and whose father claimed to be a wizard who was once arrested for choking an infant because "God told him to"; while I would like a far mightier hammer to pound down these kinds of situations that fall through the cracks of regular government, I'm also not going to lie to myself about how that mighty hammer might also lead to the aforementioned Very Bad Things.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if a life of isolation and violent media does make people more likely to act in violent ways? What's the counter-argument: that video games are totally awesome and super fun?

If someone proved to you a link between violence and violent games, what would you say to them?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't play so many violent videogames?

i mean, i certainly don't think violent games make the world any less violent. but they certainly don't take away a person's autonomy or responsibility. are you sitting in a dark room all day playing doom over and over? consider going outside and planting a garden.

as for why videogames are violent, and as a kind of tangent, there's also something to the assertion that most videogames deal with fighting and killing because the videogame is a young medium, and the earliest and least sophisticated stories in any medium are stories of archetypes fighting for survival or conquest or love. see gilgamesh and beowulf, or most superhero comics. and weren't the first movies about cowboys and cavalries shooting each other?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
don't play so many violent videogames?

i mean, i certainly don't think violent games make the world any less violent. but they certainly don't take away a person's autonomy or responsibility. are you sitting in a dark room all day playing doom over and over? consider going outside and planting a garden.

as for why videogames are violent, and as a kind of tangent, there's also something to the assertion that most videogames deal with fighting and killing because the videogame is a young medium, and the earliest and least sophisticated stories in any medium are stories of archetypes fighting for survival or conquest or love. see gilgamesh and beowulf, or most superhero comics. and weren't the first movies about cowboys and cavalries shooting each other?

I'm more speaking to the anger that comes out every time one of these articles are released. This isn't some Jack Thompton-esque rant; it's just some data from from some study. I used to feel the same anger, but I started to realize that it wasn't the data's problem -- I just didn't want to see my hobby under attack. What if some video games *are* harmful? Would you admit a problem with your hobby?

Also -- I don't think the age of the medium is really an excuse for games. We aren't talking about the first games; we're talking about an industry that's roughly 30 years old. The technology is easily equal to modern movies, and it exceeds that of music or print media.

Last edited by klikbeep on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Gouki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long until the same thing happens to video games as it did to rock music and horror movies? The majority of people just get over it. Seriously.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouki wrote:
So how long until the same thing happens to video games as it did to rock music and horror movies? The majority of people just get over it. Seriously.

Get over what? Get over using games as a flavor-of-the-month hot-button issue? That's likely to continue as long as people enjoy screaming-head talk shows.

Screaming aside -- what if they're right? What if they were right about rock music and horror movies, too?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too be honest, I'm pretty sure they are right, even if it is very little. It doesn't really bother me at all. It's not my responsibility to make sure my hobby doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
and weren't the first movies about cowboys and cavalries shooting each other?

No

They were just films of people leaving factories, busy streets and stuff. Then when narrative came in love, sex, fantasy, mischief were all common themes. I don't recall seeing any violent films when I studied this at school. I don't doubt there were some, but it wasn't as prevalent as you might expect.

I think the real issue is that videogames are turning people away from becoming killers. 100 years ago a government couldn't have pulled the shit your government pulls today, people would have stormed the White House with pitchforks. Today, that hasn't happened because you're all placated by killing zombies and foriegners and pretending you're an elf and crack-crack-cracking the egg into the bowl.

"We call computer games “interactive” media, but we should more accurately call them interpassive. Self-confined to our homes and hearths, we surrender our personal adventurousness to these virtual proxies on screen. They conquer and excel and defend themselves on our behalf, in scenarios of clichéd battle and ersatz struggle."
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Too be honest, I'm pretty sure they are right, even if it is very little. It doesn't really bother me at all. It's not my responsibility to make sure my hobby doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

So -- if I'm reading this correctly, you just don't care if they do or not, really. The actual product isn't the problem, just the hands that hold it? Do let me know if I'm reading that incorrectly.

I have a friend who makes guidance systems for military drones -- the ones that occasionally blow Iraqi civilians to sticky bits of gristle. I asked him how he could, you know, sleep, and he sort of got this pinched look on his face.

"It's our job to make them so accurate that any mistakes are 100% human error."

It was kind of an interesting perspective.

Quote:
think the real issue is that videogames are turning people away from becoming killers.

Do you think? I think video games have consequences for going after governments and armies and fortresses and the like -- it's generally an uphill battle requiring many deaths and continues and Awesome Power Ups. The deaths of innocents and Joe Average on the street don't carry nearly the same weight, generally speaking.

I got my Saints Row on recently, and the way they treated deaths was pretty compelling. Corpses that you hit with your car evaporated immediately, whereas trash -- an empty soda cup, for instance -- would roll around on the ground for a good 30 seconds after disposal.

To the game engine, human lives were treated with a lower priority than garbage.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except 100 years ago we had far greater inroads (in some areas, not all, but some) into civil and private life - obvious examples like jim crow and the sedition act come to mind. people didn't riot when lincoln suspended habeas corpus, nor when the income tax was introduced. etc. there are millions of examples.

games just ain't that important one way or another, independent of other cultural forces.

Quote:
These war games are almost like an “opium of the people”, in that old-fashioned sense: for players, they provide an intoxicating experience of power and mastery, in which the societal legitimacy of war itself never gets questioned.

people make media to be far more important than it is because...hell, i don't really know why. there are usually simpler answers - which are far more complex and less flashy - for the phenomena people want to tag on games.

that said, i'd never let someone under the age of 15 play grand theft auto (at least the modern titles)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
games just ain't that important one way or another, independent of other cultural forces.

What are you basing that on?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

games become more popular; crime rates, even amongst juveniles, declines. do violent games cause less crime? i doubt that as well. (i think abortion might have something to do with it.)

also, they're games. i mean, fuck. they're fucking games. they're irrelevant on the larger scale. they do not mean what people want them to mean. people want them to mean a lot because they're easy and i too want a job at the nyu media research center talking about games and stuff. it's why academics want to believe that words construct reality, because it means their lives are very important. (and more importantly, that they too can be as gods. too bad the biogram owns the fucking logogram.)

games are not a civil right. they're not being infringed upon. they're not fucking important enough to factor into large scale behavior independent of far greater risk factors for violence; being young, being male, being poor, being a minority, living in an urban center.

if guns, of all fuckings things, seem to have a whackadoodlediddly non-effect on violent crime and suicide rates (as well as preventing or lessening the impact of rape, burglary and assault) and the main factor appears to be culture, then games mean fuck-all when it comes down to it.

also, who knows what the actual study measured and said? it's yahoo news!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
too bad the biogram owns the fucking logogram.

I don't know what that means :(
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riffing on robert anton wilson's riffing on a dialectic shorthand for "mind" and "body" (logogram is also a technical word in linguistics for a kind of pictographic writing, i think)

the old gnostic con, in other words. you cannot defeat the body, because it is older than you, smarter than you (the collective experience of millions of years of evolution) and because it runs your fucking brain chemistry, which is YOU.

this doesn't mean you're its slave, but that certain niceties need to be observed and certain realities taken into consideration. since religious and political orders are set on generally denying one or the other (or both if you're a buddhist of the therevada variety) they tend to ignore the realities which do not fit into their scope. (to use a homegrown example, many libertarians do not recognize that collective action and group thinking are a part of the biogram, and that individualism as they see it is a relatively new mutation; selling their ideas by pretending that the collective urge does not reign is stupid in the extreme.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
games become more popular; crime rates, even amongst juveniles, declines. do violent games cause less crime? i doubt that as well. (i think abortion might have something to do with it.)

I remember seeing an episode of the Rush Limbaugh television show way back when. It was a very cold winter that year, lots of snow. Rush put up a picture of people shoveling away, and said something to the effect of, "GLOBAL WARMING, huh!? Tell that to THESE people!"

Crime statistics have little bearing on what I'm getting at. My main question: if a link were found -- a concrete link -- between video game violence and human behavior, what would your response be? Because all I ever hear is Oh, great. Here comes Old Grandpa Media with some more nonsense about bullshit. I never see any judgment at all beyond how fun a game is. Did you ever look at a game and think wow, the people who made this must really hate just about everything?

Quote:
also, they're games. i mean, fuck. they're fucking games. they're irrelevant on the larger scale. they do not mean what people want them to mean.

Yes . . . fuck.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:

I'm more speaking to the anger that comes out every time one of these articles are released. This isn't some Jack Thompton-esque rant; it's just some data from from some study. I used to feel the same anger, but I started to realize that it wasn't the data's problem -- I just didn't want to see my hobby under attack. What if some video games *are* harmful? Would you admit a problem with your hobby?

I'm getting angry about why the research was done in the first place, and how the research will be used. I don't know anything about the actual research itself, but I do know how the results of that research are likely to be interpreted, and why the research was done.

The article never states it, of course, but it's tied with the kind of articles that accuse violent video games with violence; though the article never claims that video games cause violence, it does give just enough mumbo jumbo ammunition to the people who will say it does. I am completely frustrated. Nothing is wrong with the article, while everything is wrong with the article, and it's going to continue to a) attack a hobby of mine and b) not deal with the real answers to a very serious problem.

I don't want to punch the researchers, but the people who will look at this and go, "See, that's what I've been saying all along! My son would be alive today if Super Mario Bros. was never released; it's time to sue/ban!" The research conducted will end up being summarized as "video games cause violence" and it's going to make proving video games' cases that much harder.

It doesn't matter if it's a Jack Thompson rant or a very neutral article. It's how it affects people that matters.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep, I will answer your question directly: If a link between violent media and real life human violence were ever found (and I don't believe it ever will be but for the sake of this discussion I'll concede it as a possibility) then I simply wouldn't let any kids of mine be exposed to that kind of media. I wouldn't do anything beyond that. I wouldn't try to stop people from making violent videogames for much the same reason why I'm not trying to stop people from making violent exploitation movies like I Spit on Your Grave (movies were the main role of women are as things to be beaten and raped to death for the amusement of the audience): That kind of stuff is out there and always will be, and it's simply not the kind of moral quandary that I'm keen on taking time out of my already busy day to day life to worry about when there is no real solution to it other than to simply do the things I know to be right to protect the people I love and who are closest to me.

See also: dhex's response about not letting anyone under 15 play stuff like GTA. I see no problem with that, as long as I'm the one making that judgement call and not some policymaker out for political advancement.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
The article never states it, of course, but it's tied with the kind of articles that accuse violent video games with violence; though the article never claims that video games cause violence, it does give just enough mumbo jumbo ammunition to the people who will say it does. I am completely frustrated. Nothing is wrong with the article, while everything is wrong with the article, and it's going to continue to a) attack a hobby of mine and b) not deal with the real answers to a very serious problem.

Okay. Well, let me get stupid here for a second.

Let's say I make a game. It's super fun. Somebody does a study showing that everyone who played it showed a demonstrable level of increased aggression -- say, a 10% average increase in violent crime. That's dumb -- but let's just say.

What would your response be -- honestly? Would you get angry, claiming that the study was flawed? Would you call for laws restricting the sale of the game to minors? Would you stop buying the company's products? Would you avoid criticizing the game for fear that it would put you on the wrong side of a media-polarized games/no games argument?

What do you think the 'very serious problem' is? What 'real answers' would you suggest?

My point is that I'm starting to think that video games are totally fun isn't necessarily an argument for their existence or use. Heroin is totally fun.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
That kind of stuff is out there and always will be, and it's simply not the kind of moral quandary that I'm keen on taking time out of my already busy day to day life to worry about when there is no real solution to it other than to simply do the things I know to be right to protect the people I love and who are closest to me.

Not to be flip, but what kinds of moral quandaries do you take time to worry about? Do you worry more about people you disagree with? Do you find Intelligent Design being taught in school to be more or less of an issue than violence in gaming? If so, why? If not, why not?

Quote:
See also: dhex's response about not letting anyone under 15 play stuff like GTA. I see no problem with that, as long as I'm the one making that judgement call and not some policymaker out for political advancement.

Why 15? Aren't policymakers elected? What if parents won't do it? Should all government age limits be lifted?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Heroin is totally fun.

On a possibly more profound note, sex is totally fun too.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
klikbeep wrote:
Heroin is totally fun.

On a possibly more profound note, sex is totally fun too.

Sure is, OtakupunkX!

Do you think that the fact that sex is fun is a good enough justification for always engaging in it, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it? If so, why? If not, why not?
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect your approach and support your questioning, klikbeep.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
That kind of stuff is out there and always will be, and it's simply not the kind of moral quandary that I'm keen on taking time out of my already busy day to day life to worry about when there is no real solution to it other than to simply do the things I know to be right to protect the people I love and who are closest to me.

Not to be flip, but what kinds of moral quandaries do you take time to worry about? Do you worry more about people you disagree with? Do you find Intelligent Design being taught in school to be more or less of an issue than violence in gaming? If so, why? If not, why not?

I try not to worry about anything, personally. Well, that's not entirely true. Sometimes I worry about war and mans endlessly myriad ways of destroying himself, which I think videogames rank somewhere pretty low on the list. People I disagree with are easy to ignore if persuasion is not an option. I do not worry particularly about ID. I don't think it should be taught in schools because it has no actual scientific backing, but it's certainly not the kind of thing that would prevent me from keeping my kids in a certain school. "We learn more from our parents..." etc.

klikbeep wrote:
Quote:

Why 15? Aren't policymakers elected? What if parents won't do it? Should all government age limits be lifted?

15 is just an arbitrary number for the sake of discussion. It could just as easily be 12 or 16. Policymakers are elected but that still doesn't give me much reason to trust their motives as true and noble or whatever. If parents won't do it then they're bad parents and should be slapped around a bit. I think the current age limits we have now are perfectly reasonable, though if it were up to me I'd lower the voting age to 16.

Last edited by Mr. Mechanical on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I respect your approach and support your questioning, klikbeep.

klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this question: do you think Saints Row should exist? Not "be allowed to exist"; just . . . do you approve of its existence? Do you think the people who made it should be criticized or commended? Why?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Crime statistics have little bearing on what I'm getting at. My main question: if a link were found -- a concrete link -- between video game violence and human behavior, what would your response be?

i'm confused: what you're saying is game violence would cause some kind of real world human behavior violence, right? which would be a crime statistic, right?

or do you mean "they make some people angry" in which case i can only shrug and say that a lot of things make a lot of people do a lot of different things. being governed by the lowest common denominator is not a great way to make policy decisions, despite what the avatars of the age of the superstate want you to believe.

the kind of response is what i'm interested in. that games effect people while they play is almost too obvious; if one could demonstrate some kind of concrete effect beyond brain stimulation, then we could begin to talk about what kind of reaction, if any, is necessary.

i mean, since i don't work in the industry, i don't really care if the esa has to continue bribing members of congress (hillary, lieberman, et al) and if anything, i'd prefer it to continue because this culture war lite thing turns people against certain hateful democrats, Eris be praised!

Quote:
Did you ever look at a game and think wow, the people who made this must really hate just about everything?

no.

ok, that's not true. dragon warrior vii. not so much hate as "there is a vast hole left in our lives as a speciesthat must be filled with anime wank; and for this we must perish - so let it be written, so let it be done!"

i think i was high at the time though.

in all seriousness, no. it's a game. it's not real life. it's not even an approximation. even the most realistic game is cartoonishly impossible in its violence. as much as i rag on anime and japan in general, i don't even think their insane inanity is really that dangerous or depraved. i don't think it's healthy or good for people, and the themes involved seem to contribute to a horrible extended adolescence in some people, but since no one has made me pantocrator yet i don't really have any say in that.

Quote:
My point is that I'm starting to think that video games are totally fun isn't necessarily an argument for their existence or use.

well, if not fun, then what is an argument for leisure activities?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking whether or not I think Saints Row should exist is a bit moot because it does exist. Seeing as it already exists who am I to approve/disapprove its existence? If I lived in a world where it didn't exist and somebody proposed the idea of it to me and asked if I thought it should be made I'd probably say no. Not because I am opposed to the idea of a violent, culturally worthless piece of schlock entertainment that appeals to prurient interests, but because we already have games like that called GTA that are more well designed and crafted and actually have a sense of humor about them that is a notch or two above the gutter level of sophistication that Saints Row only ever hopes to aspire to. I openly criticize Volition not for making a violent, culturally worthless piece of entertainment, but for making a shitty violent, culturally worthless piece of entertainment. If I wanted to make a slightly well crafted GTA-alike that completely missed the point of GTA I'd have held onto Saints Row instead of selling it off when I did.

To address the larger issue: Saints Row does not affect me or anyone around me in any real way. At least not until some kid who spent way too much time playing Saints Row and decided that being a thug gangsta street mofo was some hot shit idea and tried to play the part by shooting up his classmates, of which one of my potential children could very well be a part. Even then though, I would still have to question whether the real link was between the game or the environment the kid was raised in that led to his behavior. I think assuming it was the game, even for the sake of this discussion, is quite a bit facetious because time and again we keep seeing that a person's environment and upbringing play a larger role in who they become as an adult and an individual than what sort of entertainment they partook of once when they were young, and too keep following that thread even for the sake of discussion is to ignore the greater issue. That being that parents should man the fuck up and raise their kids to not be antisocial psychopaths. If you're asking me if the state should be allowed to intervene if the parents aren't up to the task then I'm going to be skeptical and say "maybe not" because then it becomes a bit of a civil rights slippery slope and I'll always err on the side of less government involvement in a persons private affairs being better than more.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
TOLLMASTER wrote:

Okay. Well, let me get stupid here for a second.

Let's say I make a game. It's super fun. Somebody does a study showing that everyone who played it showed a demonstrable level of increased aggression -- say, a 10% average increase in violent crime. That's dumb -- but let's just say.

What would your response be -- honestly? Would you get angry, claiming that the study was flawed? Would you call for laws restricting the sale of the game to minors? Would you stop buying the company's products? Would you avoid criticizing the game for fear that it would put you on the wrong side of a media-polarized games/no games argument?

What do you think the 'very serious problem' is? What 'real answers' would you suggest?

My point is that I'm starting to think that video games are totally fun isn't necessarily an argument for their existence or use. Heroin is totally fun.

I'm not really sure how to answer you on this one. Not that your questions are not valid; I simply don't have enough information to answer hypothetical questions so that the answer will satisfy me.

The "ten percent more violent" thing is really irking me. My guess would be that I would demand more studies on what causes the "ten percent" more violence before any kind of action is made. This strictly hypothetical element is troublesome, because it has no (current) basis in reality, and I don't know how to respond to it.

To use an example: if you had a magical drug that caused ten percent more violence in the population, that data can't be used to make a decision. Can some people resist the urge? Does the drug have any useful or desirable properties? Are some people more susceptible? As a society, we have chosen certain substances of this nature, without the kind of definite data you describe in your scenario, to make illegal because the drawbacks seem to so greatly overweigh the benefits. Cocaine, for instance, is desirable to many people, but as a society we ban it because the drawbacks are so extreme. We also permit alcohol (which has a greater provable role in deaths than, say, rap music) to be bought and sold under certain conditions because responsible adults can resist the more dangerous effects. In your hypothetical scenario, I would need more data to make a decision; I need a vast amount of detrimental effects to be proven, probably ones that don't take human choice/will into account, before I would apply the banhammer.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite interested to know if there have been any tests on how board games affect the minds in similiar ways that video games do in "violent adolescents".

Also, does anyone know what the game those kids are playing in the photo in the article linked at the start of the thread? Those plastic rifles look badass.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Cycle wrote:

So -- if I'm reading this correctly, you just don't care if they do or not, really. The actual product isn't the problem, just the hands that hold it? Do let me know if I'm reading that incorrectly.

I'm saying I wouldn't really care. In regards to the prouct or the hands, I'd say it's a combination of both.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i'm confused: what you're saying is game violence would cause some kind of real world human behavior violence, right? which would be a crime statistic, right?

Not really -- I'm just trying to gauge reactions. If people were to find out that their games were harmful in some way, what would they demand? Responsibility from the game makers? More control from parents? More control from government? Nothing at all? Just curious.

Quote:
no.

Really? That's kind of interesting. If you saw a snuff film or stumbled across some child porn somewhere, would you wonder at all about the motivations of the people who made it?

Quote:
in all seriousness, no. it's a game. it's not real life.

Okay, simulated snuff film/child porn.

Quote:

Heroin is totally fun. So is swingin' on the porch gate will Sally Jo, talkin' about the times.

Cycle wrote:
I'm saying I wouldn't really care.

Okay! Just wondering.

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
I'm quite interested to know if there have been any tests on how board games affect the minds in similiar ways that video games do in "violent adolescents".

I woudn't be surprised -- at least, when it comes to D&D-style RPGs. But I guess your point is that board games aren't usually subjected to as much media scrunity. That seems true.

TOLLMASTER wrote:
My guess would be that I would demand more studies on what causes the "ten percent" more violence before any kind of action is made.

Okay. What if those studies concluded the same thing?

Please don't get hung up on the 10% thing. I'm just saying that if a link were shown, how would you respond?

Mr.Mechanical wrote:
Asking whether or not I think Saints Row should exist is a bit moot because it does exist. Seeing as it already exists who am I to approve/disapprove its existence?

I don't know. Don't you ever notice a person or an ideology or an object or a product and say, "Hey, we could probably do without that?"

Quote:
shitty violent, culturally worthless piece of entertainment.

So it was't fun enough.

Let's say it was super fun, but had the exact same attitude. Would you support its existence?
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Please don't get hung up on the 10% thing. I'm just saying that if a link were shown, how would you respond?

what ifs are fun. like what if we could prove that god did/didn't exsist? that'd be something else, huh?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not really -- I'm just trying to gauge reactions. If people were to find out that their games were harmful in some way, what would they demand? Responsibility from the game makers? More control from parents? More control from government? Nothing at all? Just curious.

Calling for more responsibility from the game designers wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, and I've said elsewhere that I think a little government intervention could do wonders for the videogame industry. Much in the same way that it forced comic books to grow up just a little bit and mature a bit more than they previously were.

Quote:
I don't know. Don't you ever notice a person or an ideology or an object or a product and say, "Hey, we could probably do without that?"

All the time, but again, if it's not harming me or anyone else directly what place is it of mine to make some sort of judgement call one way or the other?

Quote:
Let's say it was super fun, but had the exact same attitude. Would you support its existence?

It wasn't so much that it wasn't fun enough, as I was able to enjoy parts of it, it's just that it missed the point of the source material it was imitating. I might have enjoyed it more if it hadn't taken itself so seriously. If that were the case, then yes I would support it's existence. However, since that isn't the case then I suppose I don't fully support its existence because to me it just seems redundant and a bit irrelevant in the scheme of videogames. It doesn't really add anything to the medium, aside from being schlocky and entertaining to some. But I could say the very same for the vast majority of games released today.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Really? That's kind of interesting. If you saw a snuff film or stumbled across some child porn somewhere, would you wonder at all about the motivations of the people who made it?

I'd think the motivations would be blatant.

klikbeep wrote:
Quote:

Heroin is totally fun. So is swingin' on the porch gate will Sally Jo, talkin' about the times.

A fine, probably truthful statement. What's your point? Or rather, how does it relate to that particular question?

klikbeep wrote:

Probably not very phased at all. Should I be?

klikbeep wrote:
Don't you ever notice a person or an ideology or an object or a product and say, "Hey, we could probably do without that?"

Every day. Does that mean I should impose upon that? In some circumstances, yes. But for the most part, such things are benign.

klikbeep wrote:

No, but it isn't my place to moralise or force it of the shelves. The best that can be done, the decent thing to be done, would be to answer against it artistically in some way. The so-called low-brow and high-brow concepts seem to be feeding upon each other, as far as I can tell, especially in this day and age.

I'm sorry, but I'd much rather see exactly what it is you're getting at.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

it would depend on the harm involved, really. are we talking something like cigarettes or something like violent media, whose effects on people are, at best, difficult to document? many things have tradeoffs.

needless to say, i wonder quite a bit about the 4chan types, especially in light of what's happened recently. i don't consider violent american games anywhere near that sort of thing, even GTA.

Quote:

so is jerking off and skydiving. they're unconnected activities with greatly varying degrees of impact.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:

I woudn't be surprised -- at least, when it comes to D&D-style RPGs. But I guess your point is that board games aren't usually subjected to as much media scrunity. That seems true.

If any of these guys played Monopoly in a group with at least one person who can't handle the concept of losing they'd leave video games alone. Monopoly violence is vicious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
what ifs are fun. like what if we could prove that god did/didn't exsist? that'd be something else, huh?

That's really off-topic.

Mods: Please ban user "chompers po pable".

Quote:
needless to say, i wonder quite a bit about the 4chan types, especially in light of what's happened recently.

Or the former (and future) Axe. I'm just wondering -- if you have a segment of people who are being largely raised by the internet, video games, and what occurs to them to be an Awesome Idea At The Time, what's the incentive to act, you know, humanely? If it's just the laws of society, and people cutting their teeth on games that say that those don't matter, would their influence cause you any concern?

Quote:

Okay. But when you see sociopathic behavior in video games, do you feel the same type of revulsion that you might feel towards those things?

Quote:
No, but it isn't my place to moralise or force it of the shelves.

I wasn't talking about permitting existence.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep, i meant that to take a stance on the study results you proposed, there'd have to be more concrete evidence. and i don't think that evidence could ever be provided.
klikbeep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
klikbeep, i meant that to take a stance on the study results you proposed, there'd have to be more concrete evidence. and i don't think that evidence could ever be provided.

Oh!

Mods: Please unban user "chompers po pable".

I think what I'm driving at is that gamers - - really, anybody - - tend to ignore any evidence of their personal vices being detrimental to anyone. The studies always seem to be "inconclusive", or "politically motivated" or "fucking gay". . . the problem never lies with the thing itself.

Not pointing fingers, I do it as well. Just find it sort of interesting.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klikbeep wrote:
Quote:
needless to say, i wonder quite a bit about the 4chan types, especially in light of what's happened recently.

Or the former (and future) Axe. I'm just wondering -- if you have a segment of people who are being largely raised by the internet, video games, and what occurs to them to be an Awesome Idea At The Time, what's the incentive to act, you know, humanely? If it's just the laws of society, and people cutting their teeth on games that say that those don't matter, would their influence cause you any concern?

If it was revealed this was a significant issue. Nature versus nurture has always been tricky and I'm seeing no clear signs that game are that big an influence over any other activity teens and young adults get into, like films and music.

Acting humanely is even more a bag of eels.

klikbeep wrote:
Quote:

Okay. But when you see sociopathic behavior in video games, do you feel the same type of revulsion that you might feel towards those things?

I appreciate what I think it is you're trying to do, but such questions as these rely on relativist abstractions. To keep it short: It depends on what kind of sociopathic behaviour, because sociopathic behaviour in the arts, commercial or otherwise, can be very, very interesting. However, with a game like GTA, past the first and second one, or Saints Row, a genre of games I've never really ever cared for, I find the behaviour depicted is cheap, boring and unfortunately perhaps quite close to some people's mindsets.

Crackdown however is looking awesome.

klikbeep wrote:
Quote:
No, but it isn't my place to moralise or force it off the shelves.

I wasn't talking about permitting existence.

Ah, well, okay then. So no, I think we could do without, but there's obviously a market for this tripe, and that's reason for its existence enough.
But this kind of opinion shouldn't hold any weight as credible arguments for any moral censors.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

well, keep in mind that i was raised on videogames as well, in the wayback time of hazy days, and was supposed to be all sorts of fucked up. i remember reading about this stuff (we were a daily news household, natch) so we're talking nearly two decades of doomsaying, while clearly things are running in the opposite direction in regards to crime and iq and whatever other yardstick one would like to pull out.

the one concrete thing i can point to about kids "raised on the internet" is that the appreciation for the concept of intellectual property is basically gone. this has some ups and downs, but it's quite clear that someone who is 20 has an entirely different view (generally) of file sharing and the like than someone who is 30.

now, as for the incentive to cooperate, to act humanely (an aside: i highly recommend a book called "the evolution of cooperation" by a dude named axlerod on this very topic, from whom i shall now proceed to off, rip.) well even in a virtual sense we can see how communities police each other. that's how good behavior is enforced - a fear of punishment and social exile. even internet communities have ways of staving off invaders, keeping the peace, expanding their ranks and other functions of regular ole flesh and blood communities. (they are not the same thing, but they are similar in enough ways that you can use some common frameworks to understand them)

now maybe the problem is that the nerds - and perhaps i have a severely distorted view of the 4chan community and definitely of anime fans in general, since they are my reichstag fire - already face some kind of social distortion, so the incentive to behave well by the standards of an online community is in the opposite direction. i can appreciate a good antinomian current as much as the next guy, and recognize that "ha ha rape" is one way of moving beyond the social boundaries of a culture which has (again, prejudiced on my part, but i'm sticking with it) rejected them.

one positive in this part is that the behavior is virtual. can they cause disruptions? sure. but outside of nuking a forum here or there, and scattering objectionable or exploitive material all over the place, their impact on the real world - the part of the world where things actually happen - is minimal at best.

as such i'm not that worried about it, because in the real world that's why we have guidos and goon squads, meatheads and samaritans, good guys and bad guys and all points in between. to completely switch metaphors, unless one is willing to use overt force (social or physical) you are generally a bystander, tossing some kind of material out into the world if you're into that sort of thing (which many people are; i.e. the rise of self-publishing, zines, etc)

i don't really know how much of an impact that has either. i prefer to see the war of all against all played out with words and culture rather than knives and guns myself, and despite all the 4chan types of the world, i have a genuine amount of faith in humanity to survive and adapt as it always has. doomsayers and malthusians have always been wrong, and have often not had our best interests at heart, being zealots and true believers of many a terrible stripe.

phooey on them.

Quote:

no. then again, all the games i enjoy are utterly devoid of standard moral choices, if they offer any at all. i.e. fallout - you can engage in a lively slave trade of sorts. yet i always murder the slavers when i get the chance. i'm sure others do not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an entertaining thread.

If there was real data linking violent video games to violent behavior, how would I react?

I would accept the data as long as it wasn't cargo cult science.

I would want to know if situational variables were factored. Why do some people act out and others don't? Is there a literal mindedness at work, and where is it at work? In the minds of the game player, the scientific observer, the political interprter? All?

There is a political angle to the science. Many on the "left" believe in a pseudoscientific form of behavioral psychology/sociology.
Has anyone read "Beyond Freedom and Dignity" by B.F. Skinner?

Children traditionally play games that imitate adult behaviors.
They play "house", "cops and robbers", "dope dealer", "fort", "smear the queer", etc.
Presumably this helps socialize them to perform their adult roles.

So what gets internalised by playing violent video games?
Hardly an irrelevant question.

I would prefer to try to make people smarter, equip them with hardcore logic skills, etc.
Then let them wallow in any information they please.

It appears that policies of information control- which is what this is really all about, assume stupidity, gullibility, and knee-jerk imitation on the part of the subjects.

I have mixed thoughts and feelings about this.
I am insulted by the presumption that I require herding, yet I understand that governing requires pragmatic generalization.

In the case of video game violence, I accept that sitting alone in a room playing games is sort of like self-imposing a diluted "Skinner-Box". ( A similar device was used for reprogramming in "A Clockwork Orange".) I remember reading somewhere that the internet, or VR could be "like freebasing television". Super fun! But mushy brains might not mix with it very well.
The exposure is mediated by one's own ability to reason, to parse and analyze and ruminate.

We have to look at all inputs, the context of the inputs, and also the variable ways the information is processed in between input and output. It would be intellectual laziness to just draw a big circle around a bunch of factors then declare "causal relationship".

Sick of typing, you people continue.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Crackdown however is looking awesome.

Indeed it is. I didn't know there were other people around these parts looking forward to that. We should start a thread on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: