The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official TGQ Virtual Console And Live Arcade Games Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Official TGQ Virtual Console And Live Arcade Games Thread Reply with quote

Okay, so let's use this thread to discuss specific VC games, new releases, and any good/bad impressions you may have of any of this.

I've been told that Hudson's Super Star Soldier is out today. I am oddly thrilled at this notion. I've never played it, but as I've found, I'm addicted to the idea of choosing to play a classic game with the Wiimote, and then flipping it on its side to use as a regular controller. This Transformersesque versatility excites me to no end, and I want to try this patented technique on as many games as possible.

Can anyone here (*cough*Dess*cough) provide me with a two sentence review of SSS? Should I get it or wait for something better?
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is the only game available this week (11/26). Sort of a disapoinment considering Nintendo made claims that 60 titles would be available by the end of the year. Im sure there will be a surge near Christmas to push on Wii Points cards as Gifts.

Also, I just stumpled upon an article from E3 that Hudson is claiming that they alone will have upwards to 100 VC titles, and that they are trying to aquire as many titles from companies that no longer exist as well. Im going to assume a majority of that is all going to be for the Japanese VC.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list of scheduled release dates for VC games? I found this, but it just lists all of the games in general. I too am interested in Star Soldier since the only version I've ever played of it is the GameCube one. It would be nice if Nintendo would allow you to sign up and get Wii memos whenever VC games are released. I hate that every day I have to go back to the store - which only works about one in every ten attempts - to check for new games.

ALSO - I'm pumped for Dungeon Explorer. Matt, if you're reading this, this is a game we need to gather up the womens and play together.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
ALSO - I'm pumped for Dungeon Explorer. Matt, if you're reading this, this is a game we need to gather up the womens and play together.

By their hair? With clubs?

I've yet to see a specific release schedule, which sort of irks me. I only know that the game I'm probably looking forward to most (Super Metroid) isn't coming out until next spring.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why the games are trickling out so slowly? Maybe the emulators just aren't up to snuff yet (like apparently a lot of the online features). It seems like they're tailoring a lot of these to the array of usable controllers specifically instead of just generically mapped configurations; maybe this extends to the emulation itself?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Dungeon Explorer sounds pretty fucking cool. Multiplayer action RPG dungeon crawling? SIgn me the fuck up. Does it support up to 5 like Bomberman? Because that'd make it better than Gauntlet, and Gauntlet is awesome, and I like better than awesome.

2) Super Star Soldier seems pretty solid from the two runthroughs I had of the first level. The weapons are pretty cool and it feels pretty manic. There are a ton of weapons and there are also a ton of upgrades. In fact you end up tossing out more bullets than the enemies. It felt kind of weird after playing games like Ikaruga. Still cool, though. And, it's $6. That's a dollar more than Zelda*.

*Even if you think you're not going to buy Zelda, you are. I did. I immediately thought I'd regret it. I played it. And then I kept playing it. I forgot how good it was. Also, I don't know where the second dungeon is. I started exploring the third and I died at the boss. It was hard!

3)Everyone needs to buy Bomberman, get as many controllers as possible, and play with all of your friends.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
1) Dungeon Explorer sounds pretty fucking cool. Multiplayer action RPG dungeon crawling? SIgn me the fuck up. Does it support up to 5 like Bomberman? Because that'd make it better than Gauntlet, and Gauntlet is awesome, and I like better than awesome.

It does, in fact, support up to 5. They need to hurry up and release that shit.

Super Star Soldier is really nice. It plays like a lot of the other shooting games on the console, which means really kind of absurd power-ups, very strong Compile influence and backgrounds that fly by ridiculously fast. They released a bunch of other games in the series, too - here's hoping that they eventually get them up on the VC.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I only know that the game I'm probably looking forward to most (Super Metroid) isn't coming out until next spring.

This pisses me off because some jackoff site announced this as a launch title in the US VC.

Also, I'm totally getting SSS, it will be my first VC game.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official TGQ Wii Virtual Console Games Thread Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Can anyone here (*cough*Dess*cough) provide me with a two sentence review of SSS? Should I get it or wait for something better?

"it's pretty good.

soldier blade is better."

seriously, you should go for it. hudson shooters are like compile shooters without the boring.

the dungeon explorer games are basically gauntlet with some rpg elements thrown in, big bosses, and five-player play.

get right on this, people. pce games have heart and soul.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dungeon Explorer is so sweet. Try and walk onto the King's throne if you want to see an early-ending easter egg that is almost as crazy as the one in Contra Hard Corps! Maybe even more so, since it's so abrubpt.

I've got Dungeon Explorer 2 sitting here in SCD form, I've always wondered if it's any good...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the second one is the first one with an anime intro. pretty much.

still good!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official TGQ Wii Virtual Console Games Thread Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
"it's pretty good.

soldier blade is better."

I would have to say the same thing. Soldier Blade has a better Caravan mode as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how do VC console games handle five-player-plus multiplayer games? I mean, does someone use the remote and someone the nunchuck (can you even use them on Virtual console games)? Or do you share a Classic Controller like the good ol' Micro Machines games?

Alternatively, is it just disabled?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a combination of remotes (with classic controllers attached if you want them) and gamecube controllers. That's... pretty much it.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOLDEN AXE HAS LAUNCHED!

(and Ecco the Dolphin... but really... who cares in comparison with GOLDEN AXE)
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm glad that somebody is still capable of getting excited about Golden Axe.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Man, I'm glad that somebody is still capable of getting excited about Golden Axe.

Are you implying that there are people who aren't excited about Golden Axe? [haha]

I just love the coop.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, if it was The Revenge Of Death Adder...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got SSS last night and am pretty sure I got to the last boss on one credit... fuck him though, seriously. I lost like 7 lives (after de-grading all the way) in about 30 seconds. I haven't played in a while though.

Too bad the emulation is so shitty for the PCE (Ok, well, it's not bad, it's just crappy sitting next to nearly perfect SNES/NES emu).

I also really enjoy the downloading bar for VC games! Oh, and having a channel for a game is great. Too bad nintendo won't take one of my credit cards, so I won't be buying as much now. That said, I felt like I shredded $10 by buying this. I know that I could have bought SSS hucard for about the same and had about the same video quality, and when I finally have component cables I know that I can get better emulation through my PC at a higher resolution. Top it off with the fact that you can't transfer games off your hardware ever (I'm planning for the future here).

*sigh* it's just a bit disheartening.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
also really enjoy the downloading bar for VC games!

It's like Nintendo is rubbing it in that they're taking your money.

I was showing a friend the VC Channel and wanted him to get the full experience, so he downloaded SSS for me. I haven't played it yet, but I am unexpectedly excited at the notion of having all these games at my fingertips—especially games like this, that I've never played before.

And again, there is no experience greater than using the Wiimote to boot up a game, and then flipping it 90 degrees to play it wirelessly. Joy!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
And again, there is no experience greater than using the Wiimote to boot up a game, and then flipping it 90 degrees to play it wirelessly. Joy!

I thought that I would have a larger problem with the swoop that is created for the B button on the left side when turning it sideways, but it is fairly easily ignorable. That said, the fat-ness of the other end is actually more of an issue for me. I can't wait for the Wiimote Lite with a better speaker and rechargable battery resulting in a slimer back/right end.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Shaper... never happy... :-(

I notice that sometimes when I use the Wiimote for TG16 games, it goes into turbo mode, and I'm not sure why. I was playing Bonk and while swimming, he just started rocking out like he was Beavis and/or Butthead. When using the Wiimote, what causes turbo? Up + the button?
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I can't wait for the Wiimote Lite with a better speaker and rechargable battery resulting in a slimer back/right end.

Hell if I can figure out what you'd want one of those for, but it's not my place to judge!
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Oh Shaper... never happy... Sad

I notice that sometimes when I use the Wiimote for TG16 games, it goes into turbo mode, and I'm not sure why. I was playing Bonk and while swimming, he just started rocking out like he was Beavis and/or Butthead. When using the Wiimote, what causes turbo? Up + the button?

I think A is turbo for button 2, and the B trigger is turbo for button 1. Or maybe reverse that. But A and B are the two turbo buttons.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird! Then what was I doing? Maybe I was accidentally jamming my hand against the B trigger, which caused the caveman-rocking.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they managed preserve the turbo features of the pce controller on the wii? that's totally cute.

so would someone please tell me what's up with pce / tg16 emulation on the virtual console and why it's not as good as the others!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im going to assume each provider has to do it themselves. Nintendo is just better at it than Hudson I guess.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG16 video emulation is just filtered a little bit, so it comes out kind of blurry. It sounds fine, but compared to the completely unfiltered video of the Nintendo and Sega emulators, it's kind of unnerving. That said the TG16 games are the only games on the service that really interest me so far. Oh wait, no. Wario's Woods and Solomon Key are pretty rad.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would care more about Wario's Woods if it were the SNES version.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NES version has got more charming graphics, though.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
I can't wait for the Wiimote Lite with a better speaker and rechargable battery resulting in a slimer back/right end.

Hell if I can figure out what you'd want one of those for, but it's not my place to judge!

It needs a tapered end so it won't go all the way into the anus.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the arms get in the way?
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume you haven't seen a butt plug before.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gamer's Quarter
I'm going to assume you haven't seen a butt plug before
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gamer's quarter
a videogame magazine for adults

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gamer's Quarter
Fodder for one-liners.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, Dess! Oh my!
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the gamer's quarter
a videogame magazine for adults

SWEET font!
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need Dungeon Explorer now.

_Marcel Duchamp
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also [url="http://kotaku.com/gaming/vc/japan-gets-wii-late-consoled-with-vc-list-218209.php"]Nintendo <3s Japan[/url]

Quote:
•Famicom (NES) cost 500 points (500 yen) each. For those who like math, 100 yen equals US 86 cents. Titles below hit launch day (Dec 2) unless otherwise noted.

* Ice Hockey (Nintendo)
* Urban Champion (Nintendo)
* Legend of Kage (Taito) - Dec 19
* Gradius (Konami)
* Go-moku Narabe (Nintendo)
* Soccer (Nintendo)
* Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
* Xevious (Bandai Namco)
* Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
* Solomon's Key (Tecmo)
* Tennis (Nintendo)
* Donkey Kong (Nintendo)
* Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo)
* Ninja Jajamaru-kun (Jaleco) - Dec 19
* Pinball (Nintendo)
* Baseball (Nintendo)
* Mario Bros. (Nintendo) -Dec 12
* Wario's Woods (Nintendo) - Dec 12

•Super Famicom (SNES) titles go for 800 points, unless noted. Likewise, available this Saturday or later in the month.

* F-Zero (Nintendo)
* R-Type III (Irem) - Dec 26
* Super Castlevania IV (Konami)
* Contra III (Konami) - Dec 19
* Sim City (Nintendo): 900 pts, Dec 26
* Street Fighter II (Capcom)
* Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo) - Dec 12
* Super Mario World (Nintendo)
* Zelda: Link to the Past (Nintendo): 900 pts
* Fire Emblem: Monsho no Nazo (Nintendo) 900 pts, Dec 26
* Mario Super Picross (Nintendo) - Dec 19

•Nintendo 64 (1000 points or 1000 yen).

* Super Mario 64 (Nintendo)

•Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) - 600 points or 600 yen

* Ecco The Dolphin (Sega)
* Gunstar Heroes (Sega)
* Golden Axe (Sega)
* Columns (Sega)
* Shadow Dancer (Sega)
* Altered Beast (Sega)
* Space Harrier II (Sega)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
* Toejam and Earl (Sega)
* Puyo Puyo (Sega)
* Ristar (Sega)

•PC Engine (TG-16, 600 points)

* Bonk's Adventure (Hudson)
* Necromancer (Hudson)
* Super Star Soldier (Hudson)
* New Adventure Island (Hudson)
* Dungeon Explorer (Hudson)
* Victory Run (Hudson)
* Bomberman '94 (Hudson)
* R-Type I (Hudson) Dec 13
* Nectaris (Hudson) Dec 20

I want about half of the games that Japan is getting that we have not yet gotten.

_Marcel Duchamp
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra and Gradius FOR SURE.

That list might not be realistic though - the VC North America Release List has many games on it (ie. Golden Axe) that weren't actually released at launch. I would think that the Japan VC list will be like ours - updated sporadically over a period of time.

I can only hope that the lists will 'sync' between regions in the future.

It would be great if there were an official post on Nintendo's site with ETAs for virtual content/channel updates... but I guess it is almost as fun being surprised when things actually materialize.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nectaris! the pce port of r-type is groovy but it's probably just there for nostalgia value, given how many pces it sold. i assume they're going to put up the second half of the game at some point, but they might not even have to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely we'll get military madness if we got dungeon explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two-player nectomilitary madness can be nice, if a bit unbalanced.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ristar!! that game is pretty damned rad.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
ristar!! that game is pretty damned rad.

Yeah, I like the game quite a bit. It was quite different from what I was expecting.

Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia is getting Gradius NES, Super Castlevania and Street Fighter 2.
OH YEAH.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on if we're getting TG-16 games?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Life Force, damnit.

_Marcel Duchamp
david

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love downloading VC games. Nintendo will probably get a lot of my money this way.

Hopefully they'll work out a way to move VC games to a different system... Like, if my Wii breaks, or if I buy a Wii "Lite" in a few years, or whatever. I appreciate they're defending against piracy, but I'd like to feel more secure about my purchases, especially as I can see buying a ton of these over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: