The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the future of the IC forums (also alcohol)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the new IC forums should be called
insertpenis.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
winkerchoice.com
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
stfutoups.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
locked (icyclam choice)
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 30

wankerwitson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must correct these three things ajutla my homie
LegatoB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying we should make the new forums totally unlike the old ones, I'm just saying those who want the new forums to be EXACTLY LIKE THE OLD ONES are probably kidding themselves. I see no reason why the basic layout of the forums could not be the same, however.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
Okay guys I think everyone is making this way to difficult or I'm making it too easy. If anyone has some technical reasons why what I'm saying below is wrong, please fill me in because it seems like we're making a mountain out of a molehill with this whole privacy thing.

The only privacy conflict is the IP addresses being stored for each post, right?

Looking at this right now, at first glance the IP address is only stored for each post. I'm a bit rusty on my SQL, but all we'd have to do is get someone to log into the database and replace every value in the "poster_ip" column of the posts table to some other value.

Like this:
UPDATE phpbb_posts SET poster_ip = 127.0.0.1

Bam, no more IP addresses, no breach of privacy. Right?

If Brandon doesn't want to do it, well, he can just christen someone else as the admin and they can do it because technically they wouldn't be a third party (the privacy policy was the standard PHPBB stuff, right? Then everyone should know their IP could be addressed by a third party). Then after they blanked out the IP addresses we could copy the SQL db over and move on with our lives.

If there's extra super secret user information stored somewhere else I see no reason it can't be blanked out just as easy.

Yup. It really should be very simple to do. If someone tells me the version of phpBB they're using, I'd be glad to write a one-click kind of solution for blanking the private information and then restoring it for people who don't mind.

The restoring step is definitely the most complicated, though it isn't really essential. I mean, everyone can just log into their old accounts and do a "change e-mail address".

I think it is e-mail address on accounts, and IPs on posts that's the only privacy issue.

It'd take like 5 minutes to fix.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, HSB, it might just be that Brandon (and by proxy, Insert Credit) doesn't want anything to do with the IC Forums Community anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't support the wholesale copying of old user accounts. I highly doubt it's as simple as any of you think it is, and I think we have potentially vastly more to gain by starting anew with new, better forum software and a fresh environment. If you want to have an archive of the old stuff, fine by me, but I just don't understand the point of dragging over the old forums as they were to the new forums like this.

But none of this is our decision to make, anyway.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I don't think an archive should even be made available i'd rather seal it away forever so no one can have it how about you guys
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck the future

fuck the past too

I'm really dying to wonder why people keep saying this will be technically difficult. It'd be wonderful if someone could post some reasons why.
LegatoB

Time is a whore.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
I'm really dying to wonder why people keep saying this will be technically difficult. It'd be wonderful if someone could post some reasons why.

no one is saying that. everyone trusts HSB because he's kind of a genius and he says it'd be easy.

ok?

Last edited by Wilkes on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, LegatoB brings up a good point, and one that I neglected when fixing up my forums. phpBB is pure shit as far as security and stability is concerned. Migrating this old database over would force us into using phpBB, which could come back to bite us in the ass eventually.

This whole nostalgia thing is great and all, there comes a time to drop it for practicality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkes will you sign my "seal IC away forever" petition

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
You know, HSB, it might just be that Brandon (and by proxy, Insert Credit) doesn't want anything to do with the IC Forums Community anymore.

Yup, I know that.

My point is, there's not a big technical issue here, so don't treat it like one. It's a matter of how much the IC staff is willing to back or support the success of this move. Perhaps they won't be willing to go through that effort themselves, but they might be willing to go through the effort to allow someone else to do it?

It's possible.

I mean, I've already talked to Brandon a bit, and he seems quite reasonable... I think he's still just "cooling off"... which is one of the reasons I want to setup temporary forums... to give IC a chance to mull things over and think about what they're willing to do.

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a technical reason. Read my last post!
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
wilkes will you sign my "seal IC away forever" petition

I'm about ready to burn this motherfucking internet to the ground
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

that's more an advisement than an issue.

well, sort of. it's not preventative so much as doing it would constitute an unadvised gesture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott, sometimes things change and it's better not to go back. Once you leave your mother's tit you cannot return.

We are moving as quickly as we can to establish new stomping grounds before apathy and boredom sets in. They will be the new status quo for what once was IC. It's better to build these things fresh and let the old threads become half-remembered, along with the politics and bullshit.

You and showka simply aren't going to get what you want with this: something died, something is being born, and we're not going to implant the dead thing's brain in the new thing's skull for the stake of nostalgia and the comfort of the womb,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Hot Stott, sometimes things change and it's better not to go back. Once you leave your mother's tit you cannot return.

We are moving as quickly as we can to establish new stomping grounds before apathy and boredom sets in. They will be the new status quo for what once was IC. It's better to build these things fresh and let the old threads become half-remembered, along with the politics and bullshit.

You and showka simply aren't going to get what you want with this: something died, something is being born, and we're not going to implant the dead thing's brain in the new thing's skull for the stake of nostalgia and the comfort of the womb,

Sup James, just start your own forum, okay? You can do all of this by yourself if you really want.
extralife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup guys. These threads got big while I was sleeping.

I don't care so much about the specifics, but I would like to see an accessible archive of the old forums somewhere. Whether it's locked, or just posts, or an alive, transplanted archive of what we had before the explosion doesn't really matter to me. I just want to be able to have all that available. It's very depressing to lose so much information and, well, culture. So lets try to keep it.
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, there's no need for that. I was civil, if oblique. I'm talking and contributing ideas for Toup's new setup - workable ones, not ones that will require backups and malformed forum code. You're pressing to cling to a dead thing and detracting from the thrust that's keeping us all cohesive right now. You're not being helpful or reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, you guys.

There's no good reason to burden the new forum with the corpse of the old.

Last edited by autokratorlovestick on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
Joe wrote:

that's more an advisement than an issue.

well, sort of. it's not preventative so much as doing it would constitute an unadvised gesture.

What?

That aside, I'm not opposed to an archive of old posts. They should just be elsewhere, for people to look at if they really want to, while the forums start anew with good software and a breath of fresh air.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also whoever suggested editing out all the IP adresses? That is a huge undertaking - there were thousands of posts on that old forum. I can't see that as being possibly worth the investment of man hours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys the archive is going to be locked away forever with all of you trapped inside

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:

But what has that got to do with insert credit and the database? You want something new that is visited by, or populated with the same (or some of the same) people that were on the IC forums, right? So why not do that. Make a new website. New forums. But also let the people that want to keep the archive do just that. You don't even need the database for your new site... or am I missing something here?

And really, what has died? An ideology or just some hardware/software?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Also whoever suggested editing out all the IP adresses? That is a huge undertaking - there were thousands of posts on that old forum. I can't see that as being possibly worth the investment of man hours.

Uuh... no it isn't.

(Databases are smart like that.)

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Hey man, there's no need for that. I was civil, if oblique. I'm talking and contributing ideas for Toup's new setup - workable ones, not ones that will require backups and malformed forum code. You're pressing to cling to a dead thing and detracting from the thrust that's keeping us all cohesive right now. You're not being helpful or reasonable.

No need for what?

I was making the point that this particular project was initially started with the intent of getting a forum backup and moving it offsite as a starting point. I'm trying to make sure we stick to something as close as possible to that goal.

If you want to try making something other than that, there's no reason you can't start your own board.

However, this is the only project which has any official support from the IC staff, and so this is the project where we should be utilizing the possibility of getting some kind of support -- such as a backup of the old forums.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project has no support from any of the IC staff. This is being undertaken by Toups and a few others, not Brandon, Tim, Aderack, Ollie, Vincent, or Recap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last time, no one is saying we shouldn't have an archive of the old forums.

What we are saying is that they should not be integrated with the new forums, because if we don't have to drag a bunch of legacy topics and users who never posted and whatnot along with us, we can move up to newer and better forum software and proceed with the inevitable split from IC in an amiable manner.
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towards the end IC was very dysfunctional, with too many mods and plenty much rows. Bad air had built up. Since the forums died everyone has been very much civil and reasonable. That strikes me as an ideal point to go forward to a fresh new start, not to stay bound to the old discourse. It's leaden with time and grudges that aren't worth continuing.

Really I just want things to stay chilled, aside from the very problematic problems legatoB has outlined.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpBB sucks, it's got numerous technical problems.

It's time for a fresh start. There are other ways to get the old posts back.
Malloc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Jesus, this is still a point of contention?

Guys, the IC forums have exploded before, and we lost everything. It happens! Let's move on? You know whatever Toups does, we're all going to follow through with it anyway.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, here's the deal:

1) I will decide on a final site name by friday. If I don't hear anything better before then I will register www.onecoin.com.

2) the purpose of the new site is, to put it simply, the zeitgeist spirit of the IC forums in a new body. This is not IC 2.0 but the point is to have a place to continue the conversation we had at insert credit.

3) there will be frontpage content in the form of force feedback, which will replace the writer's history dynamite thread. certain posters (not yet determined) will be able to start threads in the force feedback forum which will immediately appear on the front page, which all forum members can reply to. no other frontpage content is planned save for a window on the side which shows the 4 most recent forum posts. If there is any sort of sea change in the site's character, then we will discuss what sort of other frontpage content we want.

4)???????

5) PROFIT
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd post soon, Toups.

This all sounds good to me.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

EDIT: Just kiddin'!\

yeah go for it

Last edited by Wilkes on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
beige

Mister Toups wrote:

1) I will decide on a final site name by friday. If I don't hear anything better before then I will register www.onecoin.com.

2) the purpose of the new site is, to put it simply, the zeitgeist spirit of the IC forums in a new body. This is not IC 2.0 but the point is to have a place to continue the conversation we had at insert credit.

3) there will be frontpage content in the form of force feedback, which will replace the writer's history dynamite thread. certain posters (not yet determined) will be able to start threads in the force feedback forum which will immediately appear on the front page, which all forum members can reply to. no other frontpage content is planned save for a window on the side which shows the 4 most recent forum posts. If there is any sort of sea change in the site's character, then we will discuss what sort of other frontpage content we want.

4)???????

5) PROFIT

gamesarentfun.com

You know you want to.
JamesE

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
JamesE wrote:

No need for what?

I was making the point that this particular project was initially started with the intent of getting a forum backup and moving it offsite as a starting point. I'm trying to make sure we stick to something as close as possible to that goal.

If you want to try making something other than that, there's no reason you can't start your own board.

However, this is the only project which has any official support from the IC staff, and so this is the project where we should be utilizing the possibility of getting some kind of support -- such as a backup of the old forums.

I very much fear we are on different frequencies here. The project is to make a new message board we can all hang out at, not to replace the rotting parts of a corpse.

Look, if this kind of back and forth continues then it is going to detract from getting anything done and causing bad vibes. There may well be an archive of some kind, but it will be locked off, not a living thing. This could be the best thing that ever happened to IC, so let's make the most of it by getting some new forums and a front page up then see where we go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegatoB wrote:
For the last time, no one is saying we shouldn't have an archive of the old forums.

What we are saying is that they should not be integrated with the new forums, because if we don't have to drag a bunch of legacy topics and users who never posted and whatnot along with us, we can move up to newer and better forum software and proceed with the inevitable split from IC in an amiable manner.

These discussions get confusing sometimes, you know? I mean... someone was saying "fuck the old forums". I guess some might think so. Also, someone wanted to lock the old forums away, so they may never reappear. So... "no one is saying we shouldn't have an archive of the old forums" is maybe not true. You are not saying that, apparently. And, yeah, I would also say the most reasonable thing to do is keep the archives.

And also, right now there is no we that said anything. All just individual oppinions. And I think that better forum software would be nice but... I don't know shit about that.

What is better software? Could the switch not be made seamlessly?
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

So basically for someone to be able to post in Force Feedback they'd need to write coherent prose as a first post, with replies counting as comments? That seems pretty decent.

I posted some ideas for forum names based on Genesis games back in the thread which I would like to submit for your consideration.

Last edited by JamesE on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make it so there's a separate archive board, and have the topics in there tagged from the boards they came from ("game", "development", etc?), so that if someone posts in them with something new to say, they get moved back to the new version of the forum they were on?

Because, seriously, do not get rid of the stuff that we were talking about just one week ago.

And if someone uses this to start shit up again, seriously, mod them so their post says "POODLE POODLE POODLE POODLE" and stick it back in the archive.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we just drop the archive thing for now? We're getting a lot of posts from people who don't really realize the extent of the work involved a) In migrating a phpBB database into another forum software's database (fat chance) or b) Whatever DAIS is talking about which aren't doing much but stirring up needless arguing.

Just drop it until we have a new forum, please? This is impeding the discussion and is going absolutely nowhere.

Last edited by Joe on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlphaNemesis

Mister Toups wrote:

2) the purpose of the new site is, to put it simply, the <s>zeitgeist</s> spirit of the IC forums in a new body. This is not IC 2.0 but the point is to have a place to continue the conversation we had at insert credit.

Under those conditions one coin is the best choice!
beige

JamesE wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

So basically for someone to be able to post in Force Feedback they'd need to write coherent prose as a first post, with replies counting as comments? That seems pretty decent.

I posted some ideas for forum names based on Genesis games back in the thread which I would like to submit for your consideration.

This, I like.

A poster in the regular forums does their spiel, it gets good comments and reviews, he tags it with <ForceFeedback> using the edit tool and that's the signal for a mod to review it.

Or something!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

Hey everybody listen to me because I am telling you with authority what we're doing

I am going to set up a place where you can read all of the old threads from the Insert Credit forums. This will ONLY be the threads, topics and user names associated. This will not be a forum, you will not be able to contribute to the threads or post or anything. There will be no profiles or any personal information other than user name and post text. You will be able to search by text and such for old threads.

There will also be a new forum setup where you can post again. If you want to start threads based off old threads and link to them, that's fine but this will not be using any old forum data.

I am guessing that the forum data is stored as one big file of SQL statements. It will be given from Brandon or Vincent to Andrew Toups who will then give it to me. Andrew knows nothing about SQL so him reading hte file would be pointless. I will be the only person, other than Andrew Toups and the IC staff who will see this data.

I will then import this data into a new SQL database, and immediately delete all columns and/or tables that will not be needed to show threaded topics and post text with user name.

I swear on whatever you want me to swear on that I will not look at any individual records (not even my own) and will delete whatever is not needed to show the most basic post/thread data from the original forums.

None of this will be released to the public, including the read-only view, until it gets the "all clear" from Brandon or the IC staff such that it is proven there is nothing but posts and user names.

This is all assuming Brandon will agree with this, but personally I think if he has any care to see the original forum data not simply destroyed, this is the best way to handle it.

I have not read this thread so I have no idea what you have been squabbling about but I hope this clears things up. If you have questions, please direct them to Andrew Toups.
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
Can you make it so there's a separate archive board, and have the topics in there tagged from the boards they came from ("game", "development", etc?), so that if someone posts in them with something new to say, they get moved back to the new version of the forum they were on?

Because, seriously, do not get rid of the stuff that we were talking about just one week ago.

And if someone uses this to start shit up again, seriously, mod them so their post says "POODLE POODLE POODLE POODLE" and stick it back in the archive.

I don't think people understand how this is going to work on a technical basis - the old stuff does not look likely to be integrated with the new. That aside, what's done is done, and it's sometimes best to let go of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Toups!

Talk about the important part now.
schild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have the PhpBB converter to SMF lying around somewhere. Doubtful though, I'll take a look around when I get home.
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana, what software are you planing on using? Will there be an image board or something of that capacity?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Forgotten Words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: