The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the future of the IC forums (also alcohol)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the new IC forums should be called
insertpenis.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
winkerchoice.com
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
stfutoups.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
locked (icyclam choice)
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 30

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: the future of the IC forums (also alcohol) Reply with quote

Okay, I was going to hold back on this but I guess things are moving forward a little faster than I thought. Barring any last minute input from Brandon or anyone else this is the current plan.

It seems that I'm inheriting the forums. Brandon will be emailing me the backups sometime tonight or tomorrow. I have just registered for a year of hosting with dreamhost. The domain name that I will probably use is www.selectbutton.net (this was tim's idea and he has already registered the name). I actually wanted www.insertcreditforums.com or www.icforums.com, but Brandon doesn't want the insert credit name attached to the forums, and I will honor that request. I think selectbutton is a good name, but if people don't like it, use this topic to suggest other names.

Anyway. Yes, I will be administering the website. I have not decided if we will need mods or who they will be. For the time being I do not intend on making my personal account of "Mister Toups" into a mod or admin account, and instead have a separate one for that purpose. I intend on keeping the same forum structure as before with few if any changes to the rules/guidelines. I really just want everyone to be able to pick up where they left off. I do think there are ways in which the community can improve, but I do believe that after the events of this weekend we are all ready to make this happen from the ground up without the need for manifestos, rules, guidelines, or administrative overhauls. If this turns out not to be the case, we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.

One big discussion point we need to go over is how to prevent another forum invasion like what brought IC to its knees this weekend. I think enabling manual account approval would be a good solution, at least in the short term.

On another note I don't really know the first thing about the technical end of starting a website (site coding, design, etc). I've gotten nana komatsu to lend me some assistance but if anyone else wants to volunteer some services and maybe brief me on the finer points of doing this sort of thing, I'd really appreciate it. I reckon we will need people to code the frontpage which will probably involve some PHP. As far as the frontpage itself I really just want something similar to this website or neogaf. It would be nice to have one of those windows which shows recent forum posts too.

One thing which might be neat would be to have some content appear on the frontpage generated by forum members as submissions or something like that. alternatively the frontpage might just be a weekly "best of" threads from the past week or something, to showcase the best of the forum each week and to motivate people to contribute. or none of these things. I'm open to any ideas.

Beyond this I don't have any specific plans and I want to know how people feel about this and if anyone has any suggestions. I am entirely open to your input and I want this to be as much a community effort as is possible, done in the spirit of cooperation. Discuss, protest, etc.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sup new overlord and master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail our new overlord and master
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is going well so far

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmail chat with HSB wrote:
me: four years ago
around the time i wrote the mario article
my idea for games writing was to just be personal and laid back about videogames
something i never saw anyone else doing
well, no "journalists" anyway
and all the "Bloggers" did was link to fucking journalists
2:01 PM so i thought, why not kind of combine the two, and just be yourself?
so the name i'd thought of sounded perfect
if this website -- and then, the forum, and then, the people ON the forum -- were a component of a videogame
they would not be the D-pad
they would not be the joystick
they would not even be the coin slot (symbolizing greed / capitalism)
or the start button
2:02 PM rather, they would be the select button
so
it's selectbutton.net
Hot: Not bad!
me: then i saw brandon linking insertcredit.com on the GAMEFORMS forums
(where i'd gone after the GIA decided to let their personal lives RULE themselves and close up the GIA forums [and site])
and i thought, well
brandon said he wanted people to write articles
2:03 PM i saw his site had an okay layout
i decided, hey
this guy's got a domain and hosting (two things that were like black and red magic to me at the time)
(in that, i didnt get them)
so i just went there
Hot: All right... so here's what I think you should do...

I promise to be as active in moderating and administrating this forum as Vincent Diamante, godfather and domain-name-owner of insertcredit.com, has been in that site's editorial content.

That is, not at all.

(Edit for clarity: That is, I'll post there and I won't be a moderator or anything because I honestly don't like the idea of moderators in general. I will continue to write feature articles on insertcredit.com now that our new PHP system is up and running (didn't you notice? ;_Wink, all the while posting at selectbutton.net because I get the feeling that the MMCafe-ish people who will fill the new IC board might not like me very much.)

I just feel partially responsible for the explosion, and so I have donated ten fucking dollars to the cause by buying the domain. I was kind of surprised it still existed!
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so, uuh, me and 108 just had a big chat about this and moving on, and I think this plan will work out well!

The current plan seems to be that a copy of the old forums, exactly as they were, is going to be acquired and put on the new site.

So, you know, same old, same old...

Anyways! It looks like the IC staff probably isn't going to support reopening "the old forums" for this discussion, so for now...

Let's use this post to start discussing how we want things to move forward!?!?!?

FIRST ITEM OF BUSINESS!!!

Someone should make a knock-you-on-your-ass "selectbutton.net" banner!

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
vision

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: the future of the IC forums Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
One big discussion point we need to go over is how to prevent another forum invasion like what brought IC to its knees this weekend. I think enabling manual account approval would be a good solution, at least in the short term.

Yes.

How about manual account approval, and (after the forums are up and running and the regulars are all back) each n00b applicant has to write a 500-word essay entitled "why i should be allowed to post at the selectbutton.net forums: a n00b's tale" or somesuch, and then send it to a specified email address.

You know, as opposed to doing the GAF "yeah, I like this guy's screen name, sure" thing.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i motion that the official forum font please not be monospaced

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also! I think for the moment being, we should work on getting a copy of the old forums with a new banner up and running as soon as humanly possible.

The front page should just be the banner and a link to the forums.

Then once the forums are running again, let's open up a new subforum to discuss ideas for the front page, site changes, moderators, admins, etc.

I have lots of ideas about this, but let's get everyone back home before we make many changes!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
There are a ton of talented designers still dripping blood and oil from the IC explosion. I'm sure we'll have plenty of talent on hand, and I'll be glad to help if at all needed (with general coding or graphics). The IC design was extremely minimal. That may be what folks want to stick with.

This is absolutely what I want, actually.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
FIRST ITEM OF BUSINESS!!!

Someone should make a knock-you-on-your-ass "selectbutton.net" banner!

Yeah. Where the fuck is ReroRero? I nominate him to do it. Someone go post on his livejournal to get him over here.

I recommend, also, that the forums be black text on white, because the middle brightness setting on my new Macbook Pro makes it possible for me to tolerate white backgrounds.

Other possible color schemes???

And yes, theoretically, no one will have to reregister.

. . . right?
dark steve

Who has custody of the wiki?

Can we (the serectmen) have it? I don't think it's integral to whatever brandon's plans will be.

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawtooth wrote:
forum font

vision wrote:
design style

If we get a copy of the old forums for this, I don't think we should change anything except the banner, personally. The look of the old forums is what everyone's used to, and I don't see why we would want to change that!
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm a bit unclear about this: is this new site going to just be a forum or is it some sort of forum crossed with a main page that features forum-related news and/or creations such as Something Awful?

I'm all for it and can help you setup a really basic phpbb forum with my remedial knowledge of it from setting up one for myself on mecha fetus. :/

I request that you make the forums look nice though.

Also, it seems Brandon has cast aside the forums once and for all? I was wondering how he'd react after the raid and the chaos from icyclam taking over. He actually told me about how he was planning on letting icy take the forums a week in advance. I didn't think this much madness would happen though. :o

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Something to consider is, uh, not filling the new forum with the old threads, but instead start from scratch*. Fill out the jumping ship metaphor, and give the new place a bit of a sense of ownership instead of a feeling of keeping the memory of IC alive. It's not really a radical idea.

*I've seen this work just fine in the past. Also, it's not difficult to provide an archive of the old data.

Also, is the wiki changing hands, or will that remain at insertcredit.com?

Making two copies of the old forums on the site, one with everything locked and registration permanently closed as the "old forums archive", and then taking a second copy and just deleting all the threads but leaving all the names, accounts, etc. the same would be a good way to do this I think.

It isn't a bad idea.
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea!

What about that anonymous axe thingy?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a poll before the forums exploded, and the results seemed to be that people were overwhelmingly in favor of just keeping the Axe as it was.

I really don't think we should make anything but the bare essential changes (just a new name and banner) for a while!
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire the spirit of leaving the past behind and moving on with things, but I will fight tooth and claw for some of my old threads to remain open for posting (for example: strange and unusual things in gaming)..

Actually, I won't, but I'll sigh a lot if we just lock everything away like it's contaminated (I know that's not what is actually happening, but...)

Anyway, I am glad this is working out in some fashion, and I certainly trust Mr. Toups to do his best in making it a pleasant experience for us all.

Also, throw me in for a vote for focusing on reviving what can be revived before crafting elaborate plans for how things should be.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update: The backend of the site should be taken care of just fine. I mostly need help from people who can handle the visual design of the frontpage and the forums, should we opt to have a "new look" for things.

I'm going to bed now. My email address is mistertoups at gmail.com if you want to contact me that way, or just send me a PM. Of course keep discussing things in this thread.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
I admire the spirit of leaving the past behind and moving on with things, but I will fight tooth and claw for some of my old threads to remain open for posting (for example: strange and unusual things in gaming)...

Actually, this is a very good point. There's no reason to archive the old thing. I mean, people had threads they had already started and wanted to continue, so why not let them do that? Do anyone really want "a clean start"? I mean, this whole thing was a surprise -- not something we asked for -- so why let it impact what was going on?

Anyways, having the old threads there will get everyone back into the swing of things easier I think...

Same thing with the visual style! I don't want to see everyone's avatars and signatures and ridiculous BBcode which had been designed and carefully crafted for years around that strange shade of gray and black to suddenly be grotesquely put over a bunch of new colors!

I mean, I'm sure there are some much nicer colors you could choose... but... you know... that's just not what the forums are, I think.

I think the old #202020 is an important part of the culture and community we're trying to save here, y'know?

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Toups. You mentioned you might want something like this? Well if you're interested I can set up kinda the same thing for you (or show you how it's done) based on whatever forum ends up being put up. One way to do it if you're going to do something news oriented for the front page would be to have a select group of people that are allowed to create topics in a certain forum and have those topics become front page posts/news items. When a certain number of news items are reached, the rest would get kicked off of the front page and end up in the forums.

Anyway, IM me if you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, or if you're interested in what I'm talking about and want to know more!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds good, the name could stand to be a bit more snappy, but whatever.
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a pretty sound idea.

i'd say just start over; no importing threads over from the old IC. if anything, maybe make them some kind of relics. as ridiculous as everything was in the past few days, it seems to have actually given people some perspective on things.

i think the idea of having some content coming out of the community actually has a lot of potential. it would be interesting to see people working together, collaborations, etc. the game dev. forum was something like that, but i never went there too much as game dev. scares me.

also, the essay idea sounds like it'd fit in pretty well.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ee_emm_ecks wrote:
I like this idea!

What about that anonymous axe thingy?

Yeah, I should also make it clear: Brandon's problems with the forums are not my problems, and so we don't need to worry about his attempts to "fix" them. Though I appreciated his complaints and do think some of them are true, when the new site goes active we are no longer beholden to his vision of what the forums should be.

Before I go to bed I will say what I should've said at the beginning of this thread: Even though I pay the hosting bill I do not consider the website to be "mine". As far as I am concerned selectbutton.net is owned by the community it exists to house.

Good night everybody.
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want this new site's name to be Project One Coin Sad

The "forum based entirely around a forum" thing is hard to pull off. It's hard to keep going. There's no way to get new blood. Despite what you might think, that is every forums deathknell. So I propose we at least try to have a site to base these forums around. There are enough talented posters around here to keep up a sort of community front page with articles and reviews and such. I don't want to end up competing with IC and having all that bad blood bullshit, but we should try something.
Isfet

Mr Mustache wrote:
This sounds good, the name could stand to be a bit more snappy, but whatever.

i liked the name after reading Tim's explanation of it, but initially it didn't do much for me (probably because i was reading the word "select" as a verb).
Boo

Who will own these new message boards ?
professor_scissors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the notion of starting the forums fresh, without importing any of the old topics. Wipe the nasty taste out of the mouth.
Jeff Garneau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
i motion that the official forum font please not be monospaced

wut i love andale mono
vision

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
B coma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Something to consider is, uh, not filling the new forum with the old threads, but instead start from scratch*. Fill out the jumping ship metaphor, and give the new place a bit of a sense of ownership instead of a feeling of keeping the memory of IC alive. It's not really a radical idea.

man I couldn't agree more.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think having a frontpage with links to forum posts (like on TGQ), maybe with some POTW-style stuff by it, and showcasing the work going on in Dev Town would be great!

You could also really show off some of the unique forum flavor by having a (very tiny!) square on the frontpage dedicated to something particularly hilarious from Axe.

I think using the frontpage as a showcase for the good things that come out of the forums (not as new forums, but as the forums we had before) is the key here.

I mean, the forums were doing interesting things without the main site, so why not just have a main site to show people that?

I think that's perfect.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

professor_scissors wrote:
I second the notion of starting the forums fresh, without importing any of the old topics. Wipe the nasty taste out of the mouth.

How about we keep some topics? Perhaps keep the stickies, the music topic, etc., etc., and certainly keep Thread Fighter Zero and the Game Dev forum as they were! We can also pull in any really good, active topics that were going on, like the FFXII thread...

I mean, those things don't have any "bad taste" in my mind.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really thought post of the week was a great idea. If you wanted to make a bit of a stretch, you could say it's counter-productive towards creating a community governed by itself as it serves to illustrate an "ideal" posting style or area of discussion, but yeah, that really is a bit of a stretch. It's still kind of how I feel though.

I'd also like a clean slate, if HSB can get the text dump in order.

Seriously though what about the wiki?

Last edited by dark steve on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do a clean slate, can we at least have an archive of the old forums? No use in completely getting rid of them.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I'd also like a clean slate, if HSB can get the text dump in order.

Not my project darky!

The plan is that Brandon will be supplying Toups with an exact copy of the old forums as they were. If we want to do an "archive" of those, and then start fresh, that's something we can decide on. But we could also just pickup right where we left off...

Either way, Toups will be handling that or passing it off to someone who wants to do it!
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still suggest we put up an image board too. Imageboard are a world of fun/chaos. :D

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jeff Garneau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I never really thought post of the week was a great idea.

that's just because you never got it.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, we have to name the forums winkerchoice or winker may not come back to us Sad .

I wouldn't mind having a site attached to the forums - we should think about what it should be though. Does the new IC even HAVE to be devoted to video games? While the irony of a video game forum populated by people who don't like video games was part of what made the old IC great, we should look into other subjects.

Imagine if the new site featured weekly articles about things that were part of the core IC experience, but which we never considered to be articles because we had defined that narrowly as 10 pages of NGJ ramblings. The new site could have weekly articles callled "TOLLMASTER's Emo Experience," "Baron Patsy's Adventures in Puberty," and "Uncle Dhex Explains Democracy."
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a pretty damn good idea, george.

Hell, that strikes me as where video game coverage should go. Right now, if you write about video games, you have the gamers and game journalists crowd to deal with, and that shit juist grates on people (see: tim rogers). A general interest site/forum that includes video games could be awesome
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, I think the details of the front page and whatnot can all be discussed much more rationally as soon as everyone's back with their old usernames and avatars in the same old color scheme and winker is posting "hi winker" again.

First thing's first, y'know?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
A general interest site/forum that includes video games could be awesome

Yeah, that's kind of cool actually, and kind of in the spirit of what I guess 108 wanted for the original selectbutton.net, huh?
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty much.

Also, requesting that the first thread in the new forums be titled: WISE FWOM YO GWAVE!"
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think the first post in the new forums should be several years old since I don't want a forum wipe. ;_;

I think the front page should initially be...

(black background)

[knock-you-on-your-ass minimalistic selectbutton.net banner]

WISE FWOM YO GWAVE! (white text)

forums.selectbutton.net (purple link)

...until we decide what to do with the front page.

There should probably just be a whole new subforum for discussing "the site". Umm... but what should it be named!?
GrimmSweeper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Club.
First rule, you don't talk about the site.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimmSweeper wrote:
Site Club.
First rule, you don't talk about the site.

Hot.

Also, it isn't actually a videogame reference... Double Hot!
Boo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
WISE FWOM YO GWAVE!"

Thank you.
Rud13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I:ll read this thread in a minute. But I think putting the forum on forumaxe.com could not be more approriate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: