The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Know bee? No, Bea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Know bee? No, Bea! Reply with quote

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3171810

I think this is going to be an important game. Apparently it may shirk extrinsic objectives completely. This means that there will be two motivating forces.

The first is the desire to move and play in the world, Keita Takahashi's focus (he was helping design kids playgrounds in England while working the concept of Noby Noby Boy).

The second is a great vision for cooperative gaming. I doubt I can explain the specifics well, but what it amounts to is everyone playing the game online opens up all the options and levels for everyone. Collaborative unlocking.

Matt Leone's preview is useful if you don't take his word as gospel. He has very conservative standards for game experiences, but he's frank about them, and honest about where the game veers from those standards.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed by what the preview describes as the lack of overt objectives. It looks really fun to mess around in, but I've found that just messing around rarely gives me enough incentive to regularly come back to a game. PSN's other playground game, LocoRoco Cocoreccho! was kind of like this, and I played it for less than a week overall.

I'll certainly buy it, but given the description I doubt I'll be playing it for long.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love bees.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think that I'm one of those people who can enjoy a game that's just a playground without any coherent objectives, but I'm really lying to myself. Without the ability to turn a playground into some kind of creation of my own, I pretty much feel like Wes does. I play those games for a few minutes and I'm done.

Sure looks cute though.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Worm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it won't be a game.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe it's just asking more from the player than we're used to. Should we call it a toy?

Of course, this is still all pretty speculative since it isn't released.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Or maybe it's just asking more from the player than we're used to.

I'd say it's the exact opposite. It's asking less of a player than we're used to, and it will likely end up getting less than we're used to giving.

It definitely looks more like a playground than a game. Playgrounds are cool and all, but I generally enjoy(ed) them because other people are there and I can create my own games. I'm pretty sure this doesn't have online play, so that's not really an option either.

Still, for $5-10, it'll be worth fucking around with.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: