The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dear lord stalker is twilight 2000 meets oblivion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: dear lord stalker is twilight 2000 meets oblivion Reply with quote

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69677

Quote:
We have a special command that highlights all S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s and monsters in the game. [The map becomes covered with coloured dots.]You can see every level and every living thing in it. In total the game controls over 1,000 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s and monsters, 1,000 characters. As I mentioned, initially we've filled this level with the needs of our story. As all the interesting spots on the level are filled, the A-Life simulation is quite stable, and migration between levels is not that high. To shake the balance of the system, there's another special command to kill all the characters on the level. [Anton presses a button and all the dots in our level vanish.]

So we've killed everything on this level. There are no characters left. Now I'll speed up time. You can see how S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s from other levels start filling up this area. Monsters come first because they're the fastest to move. Now we'll wait for a while until the levels fills up then we'll fly around and see what's going on. Actually, killing everyone on the level is comparable to me going through the story of the game. We can see how the level gets filled by other characters after I've completed the story part.

i r essited! i know it's an eastern euro dev and will therefore be kinda looney but i am keeping hope alive per dr. jackson's instructions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Eastern European game that has the production values to match its ambition?

Dear Lord, I hope so.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall hearing about something like this ages ago...? It sounds like a high concept dream-game that should fail in the real world. I hope it doesn't.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been drooling over the concept of this game since I heard about it two years ago. It keeps inching slowly but surely towards completion with the first half of 2007 being the projected release. I'm just happy that my recent summer upgrade has left my computer in a state where I could actually play the game!

The fact that the development team took enormous pains to actually map out the Chernobyl plant and surrounding areas such as the ghost town of Pripyat has me simply foaming at the mouth; the legacy of the Chernobyl disaster is utterly fascinating to me in a way I simply cannot explain. That they combined the real-life disaster with The Zone of the brothers Strugatsky's novella Roadside Picnic is just icing on the cake.
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalker has a vaporware rep among PA fans.
(See Fallout thread. There's plenty more of that if you bring up Stalker in the PA ghetto.)

I just want to play the damn thing.

The prospect makes me giddy.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was behind closed doors at E3 this year. It's gone through lots of changes since it was first created, they actually realised they were being way too ambitious and that some of their great features were actually not that great. They cut a bunch of shit out of the game, so hopefully they will actually get the game finished and it won't be broken beyond belief.

It still looks pretty damn neat.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those cuts include some of the truly unreal effects of radiation on terrain and objects?
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Do those cuts include some of the truly unreal effects of radiation on terrain and objects?

They'd probably keep those.

The whole "wierd zone" thing.

Rumor is that they reduced the RPG-ish elements.

whoop-de-doo

So a horror/action/adventure/FPS?

ok, fine
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
Rumor is that they reduced the RPG-ish elements.

Sounds like an improvement.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Unfortunately, yes, they did mention they had to cut some of these neat effects out to make the game actually work.

Another feature they cut was one where NPCs could finish the game before you did. I guess they realised it would be frustrating for people to spend ages on a game only to have some asshat NPC come along and snatch the prize willy nilly?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it isn't all that unfortunate, I suppose, if such effects just broke the game.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, that's true. It certainly sounded like they wouldn't be able to get them to work without occasionally breaking the game.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds amazing to me, really. Couldn't they insert it as another difficulty level or something?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does all sound brilliant, but much like the lamented blue tentacle creature planned in Half-life 2, if its effects aren't clearly visible and you're unable to ever establish how to perceive, let alone react to something, then it's poor game deisgn no matter how you cut it. I don't get the impression they cut all of it out, though.

You can check out the zone effects on the main site: http://www.stalker-game.com/
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
...much like the lamented blue tentacle creature planned in Half-life 2

What's that about?

I remember checking the site out a while ago. The "rusty hair" sounds really strange.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this feisty critter from the older screenshots?

You can even clearly see where it was supposed to be found, in the Anticitizen One chapter, right after Alyx's capture. Basically, while an intriguing enemy as well as a pretty tech demo, it was difficult to code, seeing as it would wind its way around corners and such, and was frustrating to the player as it would impale you, which didn't translate well in first person view.

A full list of Half-Life 2's deleted (and later reused in the Episodes series) content can be found here. I wonder if the Missing Information mod is still available somewhere?

EDIT: Google says "Yes!".

Oh hey, and check this out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: