The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
If they had used a generic tough guy protagonist (see: gears of war), I probably wouldn't have cared at all.

I hope you only mean that kind of protagonist could have ruined Bullet Witch. I think Marcus is perfect for Gears of War because he's a hyper-generic tough guy, and the game is extremely conscious of how ridiculous he is. I have read too many opinions lamenting his supposedly bland machoness, as if he were just the latest chapter in repetetive bad character design.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't playing games that revolve around hyperviolent representations of war (hyperfantastic settings like shmups and japan exempted for a brief moment) and then complaining about macho-ness kind of line up with listening to music and complaining about sound?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Puzzle Quest

I've been playing this, and I'm enjoying using my noggin for a change, but there is one thing that really kills me (and not in a holden caulfield way). The oh-so-handy in-puzzle hint cursor! It's like playing solitaire with someone watching over your shoulder.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captaincabinets wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Puzzle Quest

I've been playing this, and I'm enjoying using my noggin for a change, but there is one thing that really kills me (and not in a holden caulfield way). The oh-so-handy in-puzzle hint cursor! It's like playing solitaire with someone watching over your shoulder.

eh, i kind of like that it's there - if i can't see a move, typically i don't have much to gain from staring at the screen until i do see a move, and usually there's more to the gameplay than simply "seeing a move."
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
captaincabinets wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Puzzle Quest

eh, i kind of like that it's there - if i can't see a move, typically i don't have much to gain from staring at the screen until i do see a move, and usually there's more to the gameplay than simply "seeing a move."

I agree with that, but as soon as it pops up it calls to me and says hey, I am the best move. You will not find a better move. Touch me. Stop your search for better moves. I find it hard to ignore.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played puzzle quest for a little bit before deciding it was vapid and rewarded grinding, and i hated that hint cursor. i would purposefully pick other moves just to spite it.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i would purposefully pick other moves just to spite it

yeah me too. I would, however, invariably end up with egg on my face.

It could just be my state of mind but it felt like a "you suck" timer. Can't see that 4 in a row in time? You suck, I'll show you it.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, guys. That hint cursor is only present for like... what, the first 10-15 minutes of playtime?

Then yer all on your own. At least, in the PSP version.

That game is so damn addictive - even my girlfriend (who generally hates playing video games) decided to make her own character and go at it - although she loathes the RPG elements & just wants to do the puzzles.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i played puzzle quest for a little bit before deciding it was vapid and rewarded grinding, and i hated that hint cursor. i would purposefully pick other moves just to spite it.

it's not so much that it rewards grinding, as the entire game is a grind. there is no way to distinguish "grinding" from "nongrinding" in puzzle quest.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that it is grinding in the same sense that playing Solitaire or Minesweeper or any of those kind of games is grinding.

BUT! Unlike those games, there is additional incentive provided by the loose overarching storyline and such. Plus some of the situations are incentive in themselves - ie. successfully single-handedly sieging a city that has triple the hit points that you do... is pretty damn satisfying.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

How can a game that doesn't have random battles encourage grinding?

As for the hint cursor, I don't see how it matters. It's not a game where you're rewarded for making your moves quickly, and more often than not taking the move that the hint cursor provides will only set your opponent up for a better one. The key to victory is knowing all possible moves, trying to forecast what the resulting board will look like, and balancing those things with the type of move you make. If you just make whatever move you see first (using the hint cursor or not) there's no way you'll progress.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Because losing is inconsequential and gives you experience, I'm assuming.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

I am pretty sure you should avoid most console rpgs, not that you didn't already know that.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
If they had used a generic tough guy protagonist (see: gears of war), I probably wouldn't have cared at all.

I hope you only mean that kind of protagonist could have ruined Bullet Witch. I think Marcus is perfect for Gears of War because he's a hyper-generic tough guy, and the game is extremely conscious of how ridiculous he is. I have read too many opinions lamenting his supposedly bland machoness, as if he were just the latest chapter in repetetive bad character design.

Yeah, I mean I liked Gears of War. I don't think Marcus would fit in Bullet Witch though, moreover that I find Alicia interesting as a character it has allowed me to forgive most of the lame portions of the gameplay.

Speaking of which! I finally beat level 2 after getting stuck the last time I played. It was annoying how I had no idea where to go for the better part of an hour, and then, after finding my way found the rest of the level to actually be interesting and fun. That's my main gripe with Bullet Witch I think, that some portions of levels are set pieces and fairly well executed, while the rest of it is bland corridors and sometimes even blander city blocks stringing together those set pieces with no real indication of where you need to go. When it's good (like at the end of level two where you're fighting the Gigas and the tanks), it's very good, and when it's not (the rest of level two) it's really drab.

The fight on the plane was ridiculous and fun.

I also played some more Jetpack Refueled, which I am enjoying more and more. Other than my thinking the collision detection is a little off (I end up screaming at my TV most of the times when I die) it's proving more fun and very challenging as levels progress. I think I got up to level 14, and that there's still ten times that number both scares me and worries me that gameplay will get too repetitive. It's still fun for now though, so i don't mind.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

yup. lose a few times and your hp will level up to be higher than your opponent's, and then you can just slog your way through the battle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

yup. lose a few times and your hp will level up to be higher than your opponent's, and then you can just slog your way through the battle.

Not sure how true this is. Leveling up becomes a lot more difficult not too far into the game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your HP only increase if you put the points towards one particular skill...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally managed to reach and defeat the first dragon (technically the second) in monster world II. now i am a mouse.

also cleared the first (technically the second) stage of monster world IV. i replayed the last segment until i could kill the boss without spending a potion. i'd forgotten how gorgeous that game is, and also how demanding. but i like how every possible permutation of a stage is explored. it almost lets me overlook the fact that the stages are fire dungeon, water dungeon, ice dungeon, sky dungeon.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a couple of hours on JetPac last night (ok, somewhere between an hour and two hours) just to get to the top of my friends leader board. I realized that while playing Boom Boom Rocket, that I'd rather be playing a interesting game. JetPac is damn good, and goes really well with Fluffy Porcupine as the background music.

Anyways, I have a huge competitive streak in me for games that lend themselves well to score. When I was working on quite a few arcade shmups to one credit, I would constantly lose track of the delicate balance between score and survival. I would easily hit a minor wall in these games and before I knew it I was working on “ultimate score runs” and completely forgot that these games are much easier if you ignore that crap.

I’m kind of already getting that way with JetPac on the 360. I almost broke 100k on stage one (I got like 98k before I ran out of time). Now I feel like that’s a goal for me: to break 100k on stage one. I recently scored just over 400k as my top score and only made it to level 7. I had broken 200k by level three though. The game starts to really punish you the later on it goes and the longer you hang around a level. Some levels become so insanely congested that just getting to the ship to take off w/o dieing is a hellish feat.

I’ve started to lean the tricks to score, and to survival. Some of these are pretty interesting tactics which I am holding back because Nana is very close to my score.

COME GET SOME NANA! I’m going to go even higher tonight.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
the shmu-word

matt no.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Puzzle Quest on both PSP and DS right now (I've got a Druid on the PSP and a Wizard on the DS). I recommend this to anyone who likes puzzle games or likes RPG for the focus your stat boosts to create the character you want style of play. I wrote about it on fort90's forum (well, dhex's forum technically), so I'll just quote it here:
dmauro wrote:
This post is about how I took a shot with Puzzle Quest, and how I'm pretty happy that I did.

First off, what is this game? It's a turn-based game of Bejeweled against computer or human opponents in which the colors you clear each have different effects. There are four colored mana jewels (which are used for spells/abilities), direct damage jewels/skulls, money jewels, and experience jewels. You also have stats which you can feed level-up-points into which do things like increase mana received from certain colors of jewels, increase chance of wildcards appearing, increase damage dealt from skulls, etc. You can also purchase items that will have similar effects (you can bring four items with you into battle: armor, weapon, helmet, misc).

What's this RPG business? Well, the game has a thin veneer of medieval fantasy laid over it, and combined with the fact that you can spend gold points to buy new equipment, get experience points to level up, and go on quests to fight monsters, the game is an RPG. Just without the stuff the sucks! The story is thin and boring and you don't care about it, but it doesn't get in the way because you can just skip through the text if you'd like. The nice thing that it does is it makes me sort of nostalgic for playing Hero Quest in the basement, but other than that, it's just to give the game an excuse to give stats to a game of Bejeweled.

So why is it awesome? Bejeweled never appealed to me much, but once you've got a bit of strategy dictating where you should be focusing your efforts, as well as the spells which add another level of complexity (you can use the spells to more or less skip your turn and force your opponent into a bad move if it's the only move on the table, a good one being Light which prevents them from using spells in turn). The enemies are simple archetypes with spells to match (bats drain your life, skeletons chill away your mana, spiders slowly poison away your life). You can also take your pick of being a druid, warrior, wizard or something else I can't remember. I'm not sure what the differences are, but I could see playing through with different classes keeping the game interesting as different abilites vary your playing style.

As I dig deeper into the game, I'll report back about how the other, more advanced mechanics (capturing enemies and steeds among other things) play out within the World of Bejeweled.

If you can go with either the PSP or the DS version. I recommend the PSP version. While the stylus works very well for the moving of bejeweled pieces and moving around on the map, it doesn't work so well for things like checking out what equipment and spells your enemy has. Also it looks a LOT nicer on the PSP, and I think the music is higher quality as well. But like I said, I'm playing both right now, so you're not missing out no anything if you get the DS version instead. Actually, the DS version keeps two save files while the PSP only does one, so there you go.

edit: Wes, you nailed it as far as why it doesn't matter that the cursor is there (it's actually not there in the PSP game). I actually really like it because in the PSP version sometime there is only one move and I just can't seem to find it and I like having the cursor point it out to me so I'm not sitting there stumped for a minute or so before I decide if I either need to take the move or cast a spell.

Last edited by dmauro on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am playing updated wii browser.

the last boss is hard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing the copy of Layer Section that I bought offa Wall of Beef! I've 1-credited to the final boss about 3 times now and died incredibly stupidly every time. Like nearly every other boss in the game, his really scary and gnarly attack patterns have safe spots that make it almost impossible to die, but I keep choking on the ones that don't and which aren't very difficult. It's an issue I hope to resolve by the end of the week, lemme tell you. Of course, I'm just going to blow up the earth afterwards and cry myself to sleep, but it's a game I've been meaning to properly finish since the 6th grade, so it's a priority at the moment.
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through Elevator Action Returns three times in a row the other night. I used the blonde guy for a change. God this game is so fun. I really want Taito to whore this game out, releasing it on every console imaginable like they've done with their other games that aren't EAR. I want to play this on PSP.

I want them to keep making sequels to this game for the DS or PSP. You know, just completely "Mega Man"(v.) or "Castlevania"(v.) this game, putting out sequel after sequel until we're tired of it. (by that time they would have released an EAR Strategy RPG and I'll be done with the series)

That would be the best...vacation...ever.

Jeremy Parish mentioned in the latest Retronauts podcast that Sega was releasing Taito Legends 2 in the US. I don't know how true that is...but wait Wikipedia says it's coming out in May!

Then I'll have three versions of it. It'll be awesome.

What are some other Zuntata soundtracks I should check out? Specifically done by Yasuhisa Watanabe, because I loved the soundtrack for EAR but couldn't really get into other Zuntata stuff I've heard.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
edit: Wes, you nailed it as far as why it doesn't matter that the cursor is there (it's actually not there in the PSP game). I actually really like it because in the PSP version sometime there is only one move and I just can't seem to find it and I like having the cursor point it out to me so I'm not sitting there stumped for a minute or so before I decide if I either need to take the move or cast a spell.

We can agree (hopefully), though, that it should have been a "hint" button you could press if you want to.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I'm playing the copy of Layer Section that I bought offa Wall of Beef! I've 1-credited to the final boss about 3 times now and died incredibly stupidly every time.

grrarr. i have yet to one-credit past the boss of stage 5.

i've also never passed stage 4 of elevator action returns. it's the last section with the flying gun platforms that does me in.

zuntata soundtracks recommend: metal black -the first- is possibly their best arrange album of possibly their best soundtrack. the live album from their 1997 concert, "cineteque rave", is essential. you can't go wrong with darius the omnibus -generation-. and zuntata night, a disc of dance remixes of many of their compositions, is pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
I'm playing the copy of Layer Section that I bought offa Wall of Beef! I've 1-credited to the final boss about 3 times now and died incredibly stupidly every time.

grrarr. i have yet to one-credit past the boss of stage 5.

i've also never passed stage 4 of elevator action returns. it's the last section with the flying gun platforms that does me in.

Grenades work wonders against those guys, especially if you use the girl(Edie)'s flame grenades and chuck them right on the ground where the things are about to fly, since they eventually reach ground level. They'll sit there in the flames and rack up the damage (while they shoot at you). it's awesome.

Goods thing Taito Legends 2 gives you unlimited credits Smile
Once I become better at this game I'll try to 1cc. I'm just not there yet.

Thanks for the reccommendations too! I'll have to "acquire" these albums and try them out.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I broke 600k in Jetpac Refueled last night! SWEET.

JasonMoses wrote:

When I was still playing pretty regularly, I could beat the boss for level 4 (possibly 5?) and make it to the next boss, but never actually beat him. The last boss I could beat was the one that climbed/hooked into the walls of the caynon that you decend into when you beat him.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're up to the same boss i am, matt.

the goddamn elevator robot.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
you're up to the same boss i am, matt.

the goddamn elevator robot.

Yeah, he's a bitch.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the stage 5 boss is a total asshole until you figure out that nearly all his attacks can't hit you if you get right up in his face. I mostly wish that the game had a practice mode or something. If there's a feature that newer shooting game ports have spoiled me to, it's being able to practice specific stages.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
zuntata soundtracks recommend: metal black -the first- is possibly their best arrange album of possibly their best soundtrack. the live album from their 1997 concert, "cineteque rave", is essential. you can't go wrong with darius the omnibus -generation-. and zuntata night, a disc of dance remixes of many of their compositions, is pretty amazing.

I agree with everything except I feel that Zuntata Live 1998 ~ Guten Talk is a much better album than the '97 one. Also Nouvelle Vague is pretty good. Zuntata Night is suprisingly good considering what it is.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I keep meaning to ask. What are the video options like in Taito Legends 2?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Oh, I keep meaning to ask. What are the video options like in Taito Legends 2?

You're asking the europeans?

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an important question!

taito memories is excellent, but taito legends is horrible. which will taito legends 2 more resemble?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random tidbit: Aside from lower/higher maxiumum speeds, the gear setting in Outrun on the Genesis determines how many cars there are on the road.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered Tetris Attack two days ago.

It's awesome. But I mean, all of you already knew that. After playing my first game, I wondered why the hell I didn't play it seven years ago, for the N64. Maybe the Pokemon-themed marketing turned me off. Whatever. This may very well be the best puzzle game I've ever played. I can't wait for the DS port this summer.

Also, can anyone recommend me some Sega CD games? I just got the bios files running in Gens. Keio Flying Squadron seems great so far, and I got my hands on Lunar: Eternal Blue but haven't played it yet. I haven't even ever played Sonic CD. Shocked

Last edited by elvis.shrugged on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should get the european or japanese version of sonic and patch it for the north american region. the soundtrack is completely different in tone.

keio flying squadron is the bee's knees. starblade you should also check out, and road avenger is fantastic despite being an fmv game. if you've never played snatcher this could be a good opportunity. but don't be afraid to look at a walkthrough.

and definitely try panic!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been meaning to play Snatcher for a while now.

Wow! Panic! looks completely deranged. And really good.

Are the Sega CD versions of the Ecco games worth checking out? I like the Genesis versions, but they're really hard IMO. Not to mention that they creep me out. I always jump a little when the sky flashes and all the sea life is sucked from the Earth. I imagine that it's a hold over from my childhood, sorta like how my spine tingles whenever I hear the THX logo.

That's sort of embarrassing, looking at it now, lol.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sega cd version of ecco is totally worth playing over the genesis, as it gives you a bunch more checkpoints. i played through nearly the entire game on the sega cd a little while ago.

speaking of which, there's a sega cd thread around here somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'll definitely play through it, then. And look for the thread.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my TV out of tate mode to play Gokujyo Parodius Deluxe Pack, which I also recieved from Wall of Beef along with Layer Section. I think I'd like the series more if not for the goddamned "Oh!" spot on the power-up bar, which removes all your power-ups, and is frequently hit by accident during a roulette spin. I want to give the game a shot just because of how much personality it's done got, but all my attempts so far have ended with my screaming in anguish.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:
I discovered Tetris Attack two days ago.

Play it while listening to Outkast. You'll feel so good.

I haven't played much lately, but last week a teammate of mine came over and I played, for the first time ever, Ikaruga in co-op. I have put a lot of time into the single player, but all I was concerned with most of the time was working on combos and getting high scores. So far, playing with a friend is a completely different experience. The key is coordinating your color switches. The second boss is a wonderful experience with two players. I plan to do this a lot more often.

P.S. I reached the conclusion that, aside from the shooting sections, Lunar Knights is mostly boring. And all the cutscenes it puts me through make me want to hate anime.
Lasa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Ridge Racer 6 really isn't all that bad.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasa wrote:
You know, Ridge Racer 6 really isn't all that bad.

Yeah, it's pretty good. It's just the essence of RR rather than all the flash surrounding it.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been playing a lot of space dungeon. it's by taito america (who also created zookeeper), and like everything they developed has a strong atari-like vibe to it. in fact, the game plays a lot like robotron - dual joysticks, one for moving, one for shooting. but instead of single-screen stages, each stage is a vast complex of many rooms through which enemies chase you (and one enemy, sinisterly, maintains a fixed position on-screen even when you change rooms).

the "dungeon" of the game's title most likely refers to the predecessor of zork and other treasure hunt games; treasures are scattered through the rooms of space dungeon, and the player can collect them for bonus points. the hook, though, is that treasures aren't "cashed in" until you touch the exit in one of the stage's rooms (available from the start, but farther and farther from the start room in each subsequent stage). if you're hit, you drop all the treasures you've collected in that room and return to the start of the stage.

(there's also a (gentleman?) thief scouring the dungeon for treasures. if you shoot the thief, it'll also drop whatever it's carrying.)

so there's a great sense of risk versus reward in the game. the more you treasure hunt, the more you stand to gain when you end the stage, but the longer you stay in the stage, the more enemies will be on your tail. it's a great dynamic, and it really makes the game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently going through Armored Core 4 and trying to beat the last level of Earth Defense Force. I need better weapons - damn you, weapon grind!

I also loaded Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion back up and have been playing it alongside the patched Medieval 2: Total War. As the Western Roman Empire, I'm finding myself poor (in debt to the tune of 60,000+), with a weak army, and with the Vandals invading Northern Italy. In Medieval 2, I'm just kicking ass as Denmark. Tried Imperial Glory, but it didn't really grab me.

It's nearing the end of the semester, so most of my time is spent writing papers, budgets, and studying.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my copy of metal storm arrived today! it is such a good game.

now that i have the actual cartridge, i'm allowing myself to really get into "expert mode". it's really vicious, and really shows the game's irem parentage. i used a password to get there - i don't consider this cheating because i'm really sure it's how the game was intended to be played.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got my friend Matt addicted to the original Wario Ware, via the Game Boy Player.

This makes me feel proud of myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 20 of 85

Jump to: