The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some were cool, but many dissapointed. Come On My Selector was rather dissapoing for example.

That's the kind of stuff your'e talking about, right? My friend tried Come To Daddy, I haven't yet...
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, basically.

it seems like a cool idea though. i hope they have a demo.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
I read the whole of that site back to front, back in the day. It kind of got me through high school and college.

That site inspired me to make these animations of me and my then fiancee now ex:

That's what I thought we'd look like as Mega Man characters, and it was inspired by the top of the Hostess page

That Hostess page was hilarious. That thing Sean does on that page where he's got all these little characters who he writes in the voice of- I've not seen that anywhere else. I think that page is genius. I love how the site is so badly organized, you'll find secret hub pages to massive sections of the site you never even knew about, if you search hard enough. You don't read Seanbaby.com, you explore it like a Nintendo game.

It was massively popular at one stage, too! He had a 'reader babes' and 'reader comics' section. It was nuts.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've ever heard of this guy was when I was watching this WORST GAMES OF ALL TIME thing, and he came on with his head of GREEN CRAZY PUNK STYLE HAIR and started ragging on about barbie horse adventures and that barbie was a slut and the whole time I was thinking, why the fuck were you playing barbie horse adventures?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is into that kind of thing.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my email up to the audiosurf website, does that mean I'll get a beta to play around with?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for awhile... the beta was only for the weekend, but they'll be doing another one. Hopefully. If 4chan and somethingawful didn't ruin it for everyone. There are ways to keep playing it now, but it's not recommended.

harvey why did you delete your post in that iconic thread, i responded and everything

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, it looks fun as hell. Sad
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Not for awhile... the beta was only for the weekend, but they'll be doing another one. Hopefully. If 4chan and somethingawful didn't ruin it for everyone. There are ways to keep playing it now, but it's not recommended.

harvey why did you delete your post in that iconic thread, i responded and everything

Because I had a flashback to university when I was the guy making shitty jokes all the time and being really pleased with himself. Meanwhile I couldn't see it but I think people were at the back of the class looking at a crosseyed dog. Doing better drawings than me.

What was your response?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just detailed my relationship with the woman further, nothing of importance really

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
The only time I've ever heard of this guy was when I was watching this WORST GAMES OF ALL TIME thing, and he came on with his head of GREEN CRAZY PUNK STYLE HAIR and started ragging on about barbie horse adventures and that barbie was a slut and the whole time I was thinking, why the fuck were you playing barbie horse adventures?

I'm a big fan to cashing in but to be fair I don't think selling out has been kind to Seanbaby's material. I guess it's the raw material he has to work with at EGM... modern slushpiles games just don't have the overall depth that he was drawing on from before.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's funny on that Broken Pixels show, though.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a copy of simple series THE DOUBLE SHOOTING for the playstation, which is actually raystorm and raycrisis on a single disc. so i finally have the entire ray series.

as a series, the rays are thematically concerned with depth: the games' primary mechanic is a laser that locks on to and attacks enemies lower than the player, and the shapes of the games reflect this (rayforce moves from space into earth's atmosphere and through the earth to the core; raystorm moves from earth out into space then down into the core of another planet). these latter two games in the series are built of polygons, while the original rayforce is made of scaled sprites. for some reason, i find the sprites more compelling since it draws that much more attention to the illusion.

raystorm is pretty traditional, even a bit retrogressive after rayforce, but raycrisis is entirely its own thing. it's a prequel to rayforce, where the player is given the opportunity to try and stop the con-human ai as it adds parts of the internet to its "body", entering the network as a "virus". the virtual reality setting provides a convenient screen for the conventions of a playstation-era shooting game.

i've also downloaded mighty bomb jack from the virtual console store, because the rom keeps crashing on me at the end of stage three.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more i play raycrisis, the more i like it. while raystorm is just rayforce with polygons, raycrisis is an actual 3d game, full of swooping around and under terrain, shooting at enemies down long corridors, and bosses who dive into and out of the screen. it's gorgeous. and the bosses are spectacular.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Omega Five earlier today with Daphaknee. I like it! I haven't played with both characters yet, and the weapon selection kind of irks me, but other than that, the game seems really well designed overall.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket Slime keeps defiantly refusing to become annoying.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Rocket Slime keeps defiantly refusing to become annoying.

It becomes annoying after you finish it and if you keep working towards 100%. If you only play it to completion then put it away you'll be quite charmed with it in a childish sort of way, just don't try to make it be anything more than that.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that game was pretty awesome, i totally forgot about it though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% of what? Everything? Saving the slimes is painless enough. I tend to get most of them my first time through a level. Only got seven left, and they're all in the final level.

I'm not gonna try to collect thirty of those monster money bag things that only rarely appear.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of things that open when the game "ends". Just ignore those is all I'm saying.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

Well, okay.

The stuff inside the game proper isn't very annoying. Even the monster collection, though I'm not gonna go out of my way to complete it, seems pretty low-impact as far as those things go.

Three slimes left.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoyed rocket slime, though i definitely felt as though the game peaked around the middle.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken to playing Mount & Blade all of the time again, thanks to a new build. I'm basically a henchman for a lord in Swadia, but it has so far afforded me plenty of places to seek shelter as well as two castles and three towns.

I got in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic from dhex just the other day, and I plan on firing that up tonight. I also have a stack of older PC games that I want to go through - possibly 7th Guest or Anachronox.
bleak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two games that I've always wanted to play through, but never got the opportunity. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, you should start a Mount and Blade thread (or bring an old one back to life, if there was one). I started playing and got as far as creating a character and wandering into the first town before stopping just because I had no earthly idea of what to do or how to do it. If there was some sort of beginner's tutorial or such, that would really help -- that's what got me through the baby steps of Dwarf Fortress when I was just starting out.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

done and done.

I just found out that Anachronox is missing disc 2. ARRGH!!!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just played through the original warioware on the GBA and i forgot how frustrating it was when you have to beat WARIO AGAIN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bleak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Kid Icarus today. What a delightfully frustrating game. I liked the age of games where there was no need for walkthroughs and games didn't try to be clever, and if you fucked up, then it's because you fucked up. these were simpler times.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude im totally playing trapt and it is the fucking this game i made a force feedback post about it becuase its REALLY IMPORTANT
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Audiosurf beta:

http://media.audio-surf.com/SetupAudiosurf_BetaWeekend2_1.19.08.exe

check it out y'all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
I played Kid Icarus today. What a delightfully frustrating game. I liked the age of games where there was no need for walkthroughs and games didn't try to be clever, and if you fucked up, then it's because you fucked up. these were simpler times.

I've got a fucked up Kid Icarus gameboy cart. If ever there was a game that should be intentionally glitched, it's that.

I've been playing the hell out of MLB Power Pros- I just bought my rented copy from gamefly. Seattle's had a very winning April, but we're bleeding money. I just traded off my overpaid deadweight third baseman Beltre (I'm not sure what the unhappy face means, but he's always got one. Are you depressed or something, dude? Is there a team shrink around?) for Manny Cabrera of the Marlins, but revenue or something had better kick in in the next couple months or I'm screwed. You'd think a 16-3 record would make you money or something. Can I get an endorsement deal?
Training is a very mysterious and SLOW MOVING form of progress. I have a couple minor league pitchers working secretly on something called GOLDEN CANNON ARM or somesuch, which I hope turns out to be astonishing when it's unveiled, cause at this rate that may be sometime in October.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend lent me Uncharted on Monday. I'm 55% through the game (in just over four hours, which is fucking ridiculous). The game is undoubtedly gorgeous. It sounds great, the voice acting is really something, and the way the characters emote excites me for the possibility of future games.

But this far in, I have to say: I never want to play a game where I have to shoot things with a gun ever again.

Christ, the game started off with a terrific balance between combat and Tomb Raider-esque exploration, and then at some point, that balance became almost completely skewed towards combat. The combat isn't terrible, but hey, guess what? I already played Gears of War, thanks.

What I want to do more of is hop around, climb things — really interact with and explore the environment. Every time I'm in the middle of a long series of climin' somethin', I keep thinking — goddamn I wish SCEA would re-release Shadow of the Colossus in high-def on the PS3. It's a lot of fun, and I feel a sense of awe and accomplishment in even lining up a few simple jumps and grabs. It just feels great.

And then, sure enough, I am treated two three of four consecutive areas in which I must dispatch what seems like two dozen enemies or more. Most of which don't know the meaning of the word "headshot" (I think I have over 100 so far, but I should have more!). I wouldn't mind the combat if the enemies didn't have leaden skin, but having to unload a shotgun on someone more than once in any situation makes no sense at all.

I tend to get frustrated during one of the many combat-heavy areas of the game. I usually pause, save, and leave the game for a day or so. I would never do this if it was mostly exploration or climbing.

So, yeah. I never want to get in a big shoot-out with multiple enemies who strafe, flank me and take cover — ever again. It's like that time I was playing Dragon Quest VII and realized that I never want to play a 1980's style RPG ever in my whole life. It's like realizing you hate your girlfriend, and then anxiously awaiting the end of the month so you can move out.

I hope there's more exploring to be done in the next 45% of the game.
sarsamis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some sidequesting in Mass Effect, and I must say that I find the random planet exploring stuff rather enjoyable. I think it's my ideal slow and easy going game. Although it does piss me off a bit that so many planets happen to have the same exact species of giant worm monster, but oh well. At least they're kinda fun to fight.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking Thresher Maws piss me off. You can breathe in space, explore alien worlds etc. but there's no seismic activity detector to bloody find out if there's a giant worm underneath you. It's ridiculous.
Basically I'm pissed off because sometimes they one hit KO you, and I would like to have the opportunity to save before this one hit KO monster please Bioware.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to pimp a bit:
enjoying looking over the fruits of GloriousTrainwrecks.com Klik of the Month Klub #7

(PizzaTime's "Zombie Invasion: the Body Explosion" had some nice pixel art. And zombies.)

PLUS

I believe I may have made the nerdiest trainwreck of all time...
PHONEME INVADERS
IT'S PHONEME-INAL!!!!
TYPE THE WORD THAT IS SOUNDED OUT BEFORE IT DESTROYS YOUR PLANET OR WHATEVER

Maybe I should revamp its list to remove homonyms
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Windows update for The 7th Guest that fixed my video and sound troubles. It was working great for a while, but then it crashed in the kitchen. Although I think I prefer saving often over video that runs at 2 frames per second and sound that randomly stops playing.

Ah, I do love the Multimedia Revolution!ness of it all.

Also the Battle.Net edition of Warcraft II (tweaked to work on Windows 95 but still works fine in XP). That game still holds a tight grip on me - I even love the font. So many memories of Kahn and Kali from the mid '90s and multiplayer with a good friend, not to mention the charming units and small touches (christmas trees and snowmen).

Last edited by ryan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I believe I may have made the nerdiest trainwreck of all time...
PHONEME INVADERS
IT'S PHONEME-INAL!!!!

was one of those words "manarchist"?

i love you kirk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been slogging through Sands of Time, which I had never played until a couple weeks ago. In terms of my enjoyment, it's a very up-and-down experience. The levels show their seams a little too much. The worst of it was near the beginning when, after a stretch of satisfying platforming, all of a sudden the Prince met the one other living male. He shouted in a gravel-y Australian accent while our hero pulled a very tiresome platform around via a little lever in its center. The loud Aussie died as soon as the Prince completed his mindless task.

The Prince's movements stick too much to their surfaces, and the context-sensitive actions jumble into each other too frequently. Still, it carried appeal for me up until it spazzed out and froze.

After you get the hang of Picross DS, only play it in Free mode. It's more challenging from the intellectual side, and less challenging on the fine motor skills end. Correcting your own mistakes can often be more satisfying than a graceful solution.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiosurf is really hard to control.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Do you use the mouse or keyboard? I use the mouse and haven't had any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I use the keyboard and haven't had any problems either!

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:

The Prince's movements stick too much to their surfaces, and the context-sensitive actions jumble into each other too frequently. Still, it carried appeal for me up until it spazzed out and froze.

I guess you could say the game has got 'spazzamatazz'.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really? Do you use the mouse or keyboard? I use the mouse and haven't had any problems.

mouse.

also i think i was suffering from higher expectations than were warranted.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i got back into the witcher. it makes sense now.

high points - relatively interesting story, decent combat system, interface is well-done once you figure out what's what, and a surprisingly nice atmosphere.

low points - the sex stuff is so juvenile it got arrested for staying out past curfew.

the dialogue is definitely weird in parts, and the voice acting goes from some very good selections to a whole pile of crap selections. the crap selections dominate, of course. but the presentation is definitely a notch above what i was expecting, and puts me more in mind of the good old days of interplay in terms of you get to play the hand you deal yourself consequences.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm playing paper mario. it's not as whymsical as i hoped! i'm enjoying it though.

edit: this game is really reminding me why jrpgs are stupid!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point. during the incredibly bad sex scene (including a classic "fantasy art" style quasi-nudie shot, part of what was "censored" from the european release) i found myself thinking "at least this isn't a jrpg." woman would have been twelve, they would have held hands for a bit, then gotten shy, and then someone would have been shocked by a surprising twist!

and then suicide for everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember any of that happening in Paper Mario :(

Better check gamefaqs
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodness i mean in connection with my earlier post re: the witcher.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodness me

i just got to dry dry fort or whatever the hell it is. is there a reason to keep playing this game? it doesn't seem even nearly interesting enough to have to put up with all the jrpg bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what JRPG bullshit is there in Paper Mario?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 54 of 85

Jump to: