The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
playing titanion made me want to play gunroar, so i did. and recorded it, because you can't give me a replay feature and expect me not to use it.

Hey dess, what control method did you use in that Gunroar replay? I never really got into the game because I couldn't handle the limited firing OR aiming thing, but I see there's a newer version since I tried it last. I gave the mouse control a shot, but it doesn't feel right for some reason.. maybe because I'm looking at the cursor rather than my ship, and therefore dying in pretty short order. I could dig out my ps2 usb adaptor if the dual sticks method is any good.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laco wrote:
Hey dess, what control method did you use in that Gunroar replay?

normal control, with a saturn pad!

i've been meaning to try out twin stick control for like a year now, but i like the way that normal controls so much that i'm just not compelled to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, now that I'm much better than I was, Wario Land is a really good game. Much better than I remembered (and I remember it being not as good as the other two Super Mario Lands. A fun game with lots of personality from the lead.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, I've found that Wario Land holds up better than the Mario Land titles.
professor_scissors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Laco wrote:
Hey dess, what control method did you use in that Gunroar replay?

normal control, with a saturn pad!

i've been meaning to try out twin stick control for like a year now, but i like the way that normal controls so much that i'm just not compelled to.

Believe me when I say that Twin Stick is how the game was meant to be played.
zebadayus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm

Last edited by zebadayus on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mainly been playing a lot of Zelda and a lot of Rainbow Six: Vegas. When I finish with those I'll probably go back to Gears of War if people are still playing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Nowadays, I've found that Wario Land holds up better than the Mario Land titles.

That's what I was implying, yes.

Wario Land 2 is interesting. But a little less fun, I think. I like the whole "Invincible" thing. That's an interesting touch. Any other games that do that?
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've mainly been playing a lot of Zelda and a lot of Rainbow Six: Vegas. When I finish with those I'll probably go back to Gears of War if people are still playing.

-Wes

Yea, people are still playing. I still haven't beaten General RAAM, but I did try some online games for the first time. Had a lot of fun getting killed since I have no idea how the levels are laid out and there's no minimap and few points of reference. "Hey, I see two guys moving towards my right down the hall" "OK, where are you?" "Damned if I know!" Uh huh, yea. Still, I managed to curb stomp one fella while his partner tried desperately to shotgun me point-blank. He still got me, but at least I scored a point. What happened to the IC regulars? I was getting game invites all the time the week before I bought the game, and now nothing.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally decided that the fourth area of murasame, though beautiful - after spending the first half of the stage completely indoors (while the non-castle portions of the all the other stages only contain a scant few indoor rooms), you emerge into a blackened wasteland, a blood red sky reflected in the waters; you climb up to a mountain peak and can see the sunset blazing behind you - is beyond my ability. so i've started playing no-save mode, where you start at the beginning of the game and play for score. i can make it as far as the third area on one "credit".

after that, i played some advance guardian heroes. versus, because that's the most lasting part of the game, once you've unlocked all the characters. what i usually do is set four random characters with the default handicap of +10, which makes for longish battles. this time, though, i set all the handicaps to zero. it plays really well like that. battles are very quick! a few of the characters are pretty frail at level one, but the match is ended and a new match has begun with new characters so quickly that it doesn't even matter much.

OtakupunkX wrote:

speaking ill of super mario land makes me ;_;

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as it just appeared in the Virtual Console list when I got home this evening... I am now reexperiencing my childhood memories of Golden Axe.

Hell yes.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouki wrote:
I like the whole "Invincible" thing. That's an interesting touch. Any other games that do that?

There was that game based on the Eek! The Cat cartoon on the SNES, where you were invincable but had to guide a vunerable character through the level.
Gouki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Gouki wrote:
I like the whole "Invincible" thing. That's an interesting touch. Any other games that do that?

There was that game based on the Eek! The Cat cartoon on the SNES, where you were invincable but had to guide a vunerable character through the level.

Was it any good? I remember the cartoon providing many a laugh.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented it when I was younger and remember getting some enjoyment out of it, but I haven't played it recently. The magazines didn't like it because it was too slow-paced, I think.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played front mission: gun hazard for the first time today. i do like games where dialogue unfolds at the bottom of the screen while you play the game on top (see the firemen). but it's so boring! every mission is: walk right. if you see an enemy, shoot it. sometimes jump. (the out-of-mech scenes are cute but too slow.) there's none of the huge bosses and setpieces and zero gravity and flying of valken. it made me want to play valken. so i played valken.

afterwards, i mentioned to cycle that i needed to get a handle on mac emulation so i could run marathon on my computer. he informed me that the trilogy had been ported to windows! wow! that was a pleasant surprise indeed. so far i've installed the first one and played through the first act. it runs really well! there are hi-res textures available on the site, but i couldn't imagine using them. incredibly sharp, detailed textures would look really jarring on the simple polygons that make up the marathon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, when you say "the trilogy" I'm reminded of the Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings scene in Clerks 2. If you haven't seen it yet you really must, it sucked a lot less than I thought it would (and is now conviently available on DVD).
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
there's none of the huge bosses and setpieces and zero gravity and flying of valken. it made me want to play valken. so i played valken.

Actually, all that stuff is in the game! It's just a much, much longer game than Valken is, so everything's spread out more.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

That's a bit like Sleepwalker, a game released for the Amiga in co-operation with the Comic Relief charity. It had lots of comedians who contribute to the UK Comic Relief effort doing voices, which was a big thing back then. You controlled a dog trying to look after a sleepwalking boy. It was really bloody hard as I remember.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not playing anything now. I finally beat Dark Messiah and rapidly unloaded it on a friend. The combat would have been a lot of fun if not marred by long loading times, game-killing glitches, and absolutely grating supporting characters.

Also I keep spending hours at a time messing around with Garry's mod.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend/coworker just bought me all three Burger King games!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to play the Dark Messiah single player demo I crashed it within the first three minutes of play by trying to climb a ladder the wrong way.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had a bug where certain saves would be glitched so that if I cut anyone's limbs off it would try to load a certain model and crash. I had to be very careful about kicking everyone to death.
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, Lord Monarch! I remember starting blankly at the Windows freeware version way back when game demo sites were a big thing (Happy Puppy, Lord Soth, etc). Man, I had no idea what was going on, but all those little guys moving around felt compelling anyway.

It's nice to hear a bit about how the game actually plays, and I have to agree, the SNES version doesn't exactly have the color working in it's favor....

Me? Lately I've been playing GBA shovelware and the kind of SNES games that your body tries to flush the memory of from your system. In order to not poison my soul any further than it already has been, I've been playing catch-up on Kirby. Kirby Super Star is pretty damn amazing, and I wish there were more games like it. Kirby's various animal friends in the other games kind of depress me for some reason, though.
Lasa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Kill Switch:Vegas is awesome. Wes we should play attack & defend together during one of my 48 hour trials.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasa wrote:
Guys, Kill Switch:Vegas is awesome. Wes we should play attack & defend together during one of my 48 hour trials.

Haven't played it online yet. I'm still playing through the single player mode (which is surprisingly awesome). If the online is anything like Ghost Recon's online I'll pass.

Also, I'm not sure if the Kill.Switch thing is a joke or a mistake, but everyone's been talking about that game lately as a major inspiration for Gears of War. Guess I better try it out eventually.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a lot of old PlayStation games. They're mostly not very good!

Carnage Heart looks to be pretty quality, but I haven't been able to really get into it yet. It's theoretically a turn-based strategy, but really it's all about programming robots and watching them sit around and get reamed by efficiently dispatch your foes in awesome real-time combat sequences.

All of this is probably old news to everyone who's not two generations behind like I am, but Artdink seems to have put out a lot of really interesting stuff for the PSX. Hot air balloon simulator? Count me in!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
Oh, wow, Lord Monarch! I remember starting blankly at the Windows freeware version way back when game demo sites were a big thing (Happy Puppy, Lord Soth, etc). Man, I had no idea what was going on, but all those little guys moving around felt compelling anyway.

lord monarch is . . . not immediately engaging. for the first few stages you can basically let the game play itself. gradually you'll come to exert your influence more and more. it can be hard to measure at first.

the mega drive port of the game has a lot more direction. not just because you have actual dialogue where the court advisor tells you you should do this and that, but: there's a very clear "let's learn how to use the tax system" map, a "let's learn what to do with the leader" map. it guides you a lot more.

through trade with swimmy i got a non-nintondo copy of zero mission and an american copy of astro boy. i'd played through the japanese version previously and didn't find it that satisfying. (i didn't have the patience to do all of the ending stuff, but i did see the joust scene, which is swell.) well, shaper urged me to play the american version, saying it was a great improvement over the original release.

and . . . i'm not convinced. so far (i've cleared the first three stages) it retains all the things i found so displeasing about the japanese version: clunky controls, hard-to-avoid enemy attacks, stupid amounts of slowdown. wikipedia tells me the boss life bars were added from the original release, and those are certainly welcome, but the game just doesn't seem to play much differently. it has been a long time since i played, though. what else is different?

JasonMoses wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
there's none of the huge bosses and setpieces and zero gravity and flying of valken. it made me want to play valken. so i played valken.

Actually, all that stuff is in the game! It's just a much, much longer game than Valken is, so everything's spread out more.

well i guess i'll have to play more! i hope it's not too slow-paced.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been played some Capcom CPS-2 fighting games, mainly because I like the artwork. Darkstalkers and Vampire Saviour are a revelation to me, I didn't realise they were so exaggerated and funny. There's a girl who looks like Little Red Riding Hood except she has an uzi and her basket is full of landmines. It's excellent.

Who here plays MAME a lot? I'd be interested in knowing what you use to play dial-based vector games like Tempest and Major Havok, because I can't seem to settle on a control setup that works.
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Subsistence. I'm not as impressed by the new camera as I had hoped to be. I still wish I could play the whole game in first-person.

I also tried LEGO Star Wars 2. It's not as great as I had hoped, either.

Oh god everything is so disappointing.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Who here plays MAME a lot? I'd be interested in knowing what you use to play dial-based vector games like Tempest and Major Havok, because I can't seem to settle on a control setup that works.

I can tell you what didn't quite work: the Griffin PowerMate. I bought it thinking I could get it to work as the dial controller with Forgotten Worlds in MAME. Unfortunately even at the highest tracking speed it couldn't move fast enough. But on the bright side, it is a really cool accessory, and its controls can be completely customized. It wasn't even a complete loss for me, since I use it for Photoshop now.

Now there is some possibility that it will work better with Tempest/Major Havok, or that one of you more knowledgable folks can get it to work better than I could.

Oh, by the way, has CPS-3 been emulated yet? I'm dying to play Red Earth.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

I hate to say it, but the mouse is probably the best replacement for the dial in games like Tempest and Arkanoid. With games like Major Havok, I use a flight joystick my little brother got for Christmas one year. I also use the stick for games such as Ikari Warriors because the POV Hat thing makes a decent replacement for the knobby part of the joystick used for aiming. Forgotten Worlds feels better to me with a gamepad using the shoulder buttons for rotating, though.

friedchicken wrote:
Oh, by the way, has CPS-3 been emulated yet? I'm dying to play Red Earth.

I don't think it has, or will be for awhile. Apparently the encryption's very hard to crack, and, even when it does it cracked, it'll need a very high-end computer to run on and it will take a few hours (understatement) to load the game (the arcade versions of the CPS-3 games had really long start-up times due to the board having to load the games off of a disk).
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I've been playing Subsistence. I'm not as impressed by the new camera as I had hoped to be. I still wish I could play the whole game in first-person.

I also tried LEGO Star Wars 2. It's not as great as I had hoped, either.

Oh god everything is so disappointing.

Get a Wii and only play Wii Sports Fitness once a day. Then write an essay describing your adventure into videogame weightloss.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Get a Wii and only play Wii Sports Fitness once a day. Then write an essay describing your adventure into videogame weightloss.

I did this with DDR a couple years ago, but that tale's old hat now. By the time some buddies thought of even doing anything with it someone was already bragging about it on television.

Some people are just at the right place at the right time.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now playing Outrun 2006 and Killer 7. Funny! By playing Outrun 2006 I mean having my friends over and watching them swap the controller for a few hours.
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GcDiaz wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

Yea, people are still playing. I still haven't beaten General RAAM, but I did try some online games for the first time. Had a lot of fun getting killed since I have no idea how the levels are laid out and there's no minimap and few points of reference. "Hey, I see two guys moving towards my right down the hall" "OK, where are you?" "Damned if I know!" Uh huh, yea. Still, I managed to curb stomp one fella while his partner tried desperately to shotgun me point-blank. He still got me, but at least I scored a point. What happened to the IC regulars? I was getting game invites all the time the week before I bought the game, and now nothing.

The Wii happened Sad

Actually the reason I haven't been on was also because both of my roommate's controllers were broken (but it's okay since the wired one started working miraculously). I'm definitely going to be busy this weekend, but I hope to get back to playing this next week. What's your xbl name because I'm not sure we're on each other's list.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't have my Wii yet, I decided to pick up Minish Cap again. Don't know why I quit last time, and so early... its fun!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finished astro boy last night. or rather, early yesterday morning. and actually just the first part. and . . . it's still an incredibly frustrating experience. i attack an enemy, the attack segues into a combo, and while i'm locked in that attack animation an enemy behind me pulls out a gun and fires. i'm struck and sent flying insultingly far across the screen. this happens over and over until i just use my special attack to clear every screen. am i missing something?

i'm also replaying zero mission (thanks swimmy!). the level design is just so amazing. it's more impressive when you consider that it's built around the layout of the original metroid, is designed to be traversed in different ways at different times with different abilities, and is riddled with secret passages for speedrunners. the level design is so clever, in fact, that it robs the game world of the loneliness* that broods over the earlier games in the series; you can feel the developers standing over your shoulder, always, watching and directing you. once the game was on this path they went all out, with typically obvious secret passages, easy bosses, secret item locations written on the map, and statues that tell you where to go (to compensate for the fact that items are in the same spots as in the original games, despite there being an intended sequence now). someone on these boards once said that zero mission is the heighth of metroid as a game while return of samus is the heighth of metroid as an experience. i'm pretty sure that's true. i've never finished metroid 2 because it scares me.

* lonely game

advance guardian heroes is still awesome. i know at some point i'm going to have to clear very hard mode just to get those extra versus stages, even if i only play on two of the ones i have now as it is. i'm considering using an overpowered character like kanon, cheating though it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i finished astro boy last night. or rather, early yesterday morning. and actually just the first part. and . . . it's still an incredibly frustrating experience. i attack an enemy, the attack segues into a combo, and while i'm locked in that attack animation an enemy behind me pulls out a gun and fires. i'm struck and sent flying insultingly far across the screen. this happens over and over until i just use my special attack to clear every screen. am i missing something?

sup dess. the kick attack works wonders in tight situations (and almost any situation), because it causes the enemies to hit each other. if there's a screen full of enemies, get on either the far right or left of the screen (dashing is cool, since you can go right through enemies) and kick the enemies inward. they'll bounce around, causing a chain of inescapable destruction. rinse and repeat.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you've gotta work on controlling as many enemies as possible. The A+B attack works great too, especially if you're charging through a whole group and the special bar fills right back up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seem to remember that too. the (a) + (b) ram attack builds up the special meter quickly, although it does leave you open to ememy attacks depending on where you end up after using it. be prudent dess!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, now i'm going to have to go back and replay the game. thanks a lot!

in other news, marathon. i'm playing through the original at the moment. it has some really nice setpieces, where the sequels seem to be more interested in having you explore huge and/or mazelike areas. (infinity still has one of the impressive stories ever told in a videogame, though.) i just cleared "the rose", which is the stage where bob gets killed a whole lot. (not by me! okay, maybe once or twice. by accident!)

i played some more front mission valkan. there's starting to be a bit more level design, though the intermediary stages seem flat and straight-forward. it's starting to get interesting, though. i'm worried the really good stuff won't be towards the end. though i am impressed with the amount of care that's been put into the scenario i'm working through right now, wholly unrelated to the one that made up the opening of the game (or is it??).

and while i had the super famicom emulator open i played a bit of astro go! go! (aka utyu race astro go go), a mode-7 racer set in a different, more-brightly colored, more groovily-fonted future than f-zero. as a single-player game it's much more interesting than i remember f-zero being (probably faster, too). there are moving floors, pinball bumpers, turbo pads that shoot you in different directions, fans that lift you off the ground. it also has a fixed-camera, which is disorienting at first, but the courses are actually built around it and use it to good effect. it has no multiplayer, unfortunately - probably because it taxes the hardware so heavily as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astro Go! Go! sounds really good. I'll have to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of Steambot Chronicles, up to when you arrive at [i}Nefroburg[/i] which is like an hour or so into the game I think. Surely there are people here know enough about it for me not to go into further detail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: wario land / mario land,

the second installment of either series isn't so hot.

mario land 1 is a definitive gameboy game the way link's awakening is and (as i have been convinced as of late) the way contact is and the way tetris is for that matter, etc. better to pick up and play than anything else called "mario" ever and, my handheld bias being what it is (and this is especially the converse of mario land 2) i really really like the tiny sprites.

mario land 3 is warioland. warioland is a really neat game. i videogame-raised my sister on an old copy of warioland and an old gameboy color.

INTERJECTION: has anybody here really bothered with mario vs dk 2 at all? it's... really kind of like a flash game, which struck me as kind of a sad thing at first, mario commanding the sort of respect that mario does. getting into the later levels, though, it's... interesting. it seems like the game has a really hard time deciding which standards it wants to hold you to, and, well, there is no way any of nintendo's dev teams but NST could've made this. i kind of like it - just while we're talking about portable games, here.

warioland 3 is ... interesting. it really, really, really plays itself, to the extent that i'm always second guessing exactly how much game is honestly there. i like it a lot better than the marginal about of warioland 2 i played, at least.

i said really too many times in this post over the course of editing it three times! time to go to bed!

Last edited by Ethoscapade on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Karoshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to watch Pootie Tang via the Xbox Marketplace.

Sine your pinny on the runny kine!!!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:

INTERJECTION: has anybody here really bothered with mario vs dk 2 at all? it's... really kind of like a flash game, which struck me as kind of a sad thing at first, mario commanding the sort of respect that mario does. getting into the later levels, though, it's... interesting. it seems like the game has a really hard time deciding which standards it wants to hold you to, and, well, there is no way any of nintendo's dev teams but NST could've made this. i kind of like it - just while we're talking about portable games, here.

I remember being really excited about Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 1 right up until the second I booted it up and it said 'Nintendo Software Technology', at which point I thought OH FUCK. That's worse than finding 'Nintondo' written on the cartridge or half a worm in your apple.
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kid is the bestest ever. Not only is he unnaturally strong for his age (1.4 years old, and can already hang by his fingers and push his 6 year old sister around while she sits in a chair), but today he watched his older brother and I play GoW all through Acts 1-3, then fell asleep during Act 4. Guess it wasn't hardcore enough for him.

I did finally beat General RAAM, realizing at long last that I was making it very difficult on myself by pursuing the torque bow/sniper rifle method. The lancer worked just fine. In Casual at least. Now I'm playing it Hardcore, having failed to even escape the prison in Insane mode. They really meant it, huh?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

completed the first mercenary chapter of assault suits: front mission. it's really not terrible, but it just doesn't have the focus that valkan does - probably because it attempts to be something like the jrpg version of valkan. there are no real setpieces. it's just "wander around this area until you find an id card. if you see enemies you should probably shoot them". though most stages are just "go to the right". it's also too easy, since you can use curative items in stages.

while i was romblin' i managed to score a gold cup on the second grand prix of astro go! go! i'm pretty sure three golds are required to get to the fourth, hidden grand prix, which i can see on the select screen but not pick. speaking of which the time trial select screen is super pretty.

i also played some super mad champ, which is kunio hang-on. really. it was apparently developed by ex-technos employees. imagine a super hang-on where you can kick an opponent off its bike, get off your old bike, beat up your opponent and then steal your opponent's bike. yeah, it's a really neat game.

and i am replaying astro boy. double-tapping left and right makes it a little more manageable. i admire the way the stage select and replaying are integrated into the story, even though it does feel like you're being forced to play the game twice to see all the content. i guess i'm committed to this now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:

I yarred MvsDK 2 and deleted it after about an hour. I'd rather play lemmings. Insert DK'94 is better line here.

Playing Trauma Center on Wii and making too many Miis. Really have only had about 3 hrs this month to play games though.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess, i played astro boy the week it came out over here, and felt pretty much the same way you seem to about it except with an added element of "i just played viewtiful joe six months ago and how could two games share the same cryptic flaws like that"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 3 of 85

Jump to: