The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

converting pal to ntsc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: converting pal to ntsc? Reply with quote

is there some type of converter that will change pal input into ntsc output? i've had my eye on one of these for a while, but it's totally brazilian and outputs pal.

give me your knowledge!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe try the gamesx forums?

cycle probably knows.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're trying to play a PAL game on your NTSC TV, right? What system is it? I've had a bit of experience fighting the PAL fight, and there are quite a few different fixes for specific consoles that are easier and cheaper than trying to hunt down some sort of signal adaptor.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. it's a master system, one with a bunch of games written into its hardware. i'd like to somehow get it to run on my ntsc television.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lik Sang used to sell a little box for about $40 that did it.

Bad timing, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, this stuff gives me nightmares.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question. SNES. I wanna play Euro Terranigma. What would I have to do?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this FAQ, US and European SMS games are completely compatable, with just a few exceptions, so your best bet would be trying to track down a US system.

Swimmy, as far as running Euro games on your SNES, you'll have to do two things. First, open up the system's cart slot and have a look inside. On the back end of the slot, you'll see two plastic tabs that match the grooves in a SNES cartridge; tear those off using needle-nosed pliers. You can open the system (if you have one of those funky Gamebit drivers) to make sure you've got the tabs completely removed and everything sanded down all purty-like, or you can just tear them off through the open cart slot like I did. Voila! You'll be able to insert PAL and Japanese carts into your US SNES. You can actually play Japanese carts with no further modification after this; apparently US and JP systems share the same regional lockout chip. (Also note that the N64 can be modified in a similar manner for US<->JP compatability, though you WILL have to open the system to get to the lockout tabs). Gamesx.com has a bit of info on disabling the SNES' lockout chip if you're into getting down and dirty with the guts of a SNES; otherwise you may want to keep your eyes open on eBay or various shady-looking Hong Kong import sites like Lan Kwai or GameChoiceClub for different adaptor cartridges that fake out the SNES' lockout chip.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmy, if it's anything like a genesis, you'll have to solder in a crossover in frequency, and install a switch. it would allow your 60hz (video output frequency) ntsc system to output a 50hz signal.

i've never heard of a lockout chip, so.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the 50/60Hz mod; I've never heard it done to a SNES and I can't quite see the reasoning behing setting the system to output at a lower frequency than the user's television. Most modern PAL TVs accept both 50 and 60Hz, while a 50Hz frequency on a 60Hz NTSC TV looks like your vertical hold has gone out.

And, uh, I'm really not lying when I say the region lockout chip is a priority. Every cart-based home console from Nintendo had one; the SNES included. Each game cartridge would contain a chip that would, upon bootup, report to a similar chip on the system's motherboard. If the cartridge returned a response that identified it as a game distributed in the same region as the system, the game would boot up and the player could go on his merry way. If the game failed to return the proper code, the system would not start, and would sometimes display a message informing the user that their game was not intended for use in that region. This site has a bit more information on the location of lockout chips in the various versions of the system.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the switch is just to allow the game to boot. after it boots up, switch it back to 60. anyways, yeah, I have no idea bout super nintendos, so.

good luck dess!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
According to this FAQ, US and European SMS games are completely compatable, with just a few exceptions, so your best bet would be trying to track down a US system.

us systems don't come with 105 pre-installed games :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now that is a problem -- I thought you meant individual cartridges!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: