The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You Are Empty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: You Are Empty Reply with quote

I've been curious about this game ever since it's announcement. The idea of a first-person shooter serving as a platform as an anti-communist commentary via surreal horror and grotesque homonculi was the main reason. I've heard little of its gameplay, or how it intended to be psychologically riveting.

However, the latest trailer made it seem like a fairly common affair: At best, it reminded me of Half-Life. Not Half-Life 2, Half-Life. Now, I'm a slut for early 20th century weaponry and ambitious concepts, so I may give it a go either way on its release in the UK (If ever, I'm still waiting for Pathologic, in spite of all the rightful criticism that's gotten).

It's my impression that Russian and other Eastern European developers aim high for their products. They want to create something generally intriguing or simply relevant to them. The production values, and quite often the game design itself, doesn't match up.

So apart from the obvious Tetris, what experience have you lot had with Eastern European games and how far would you say their ambition lies? I really want to see some of these games succeed just on their principles, but sadly, they don't seem to deliver that well.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Buka website. They seem to be all over the place with their releases and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is odd. What was the one about the soviet subway?

The environments in You Are Empty looked pretty rocking (I don't know when the last time you played Half Life 1 was, seriously) but the character designs were weak to the point of being embarassing.

Ambition is good, but I wish they'd reign it in to match the resources they have available. I mean at least to have a game that's complete.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: You Are Empty Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
So apart from the obvious Tetris, what experience have you lot had with Eastern European games and how far would you say their ambition lies? I really want to see some of these games succeed just on their principles, but sadly, they don't seem to deliver that well.

Farcry was pretty swell. As was most of that WWII/alien invasion tactical (X-Com style) game, from what I've heard.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the character design is neat, except for the nurse.

i have high hopes for stalker, despite knowing that i probably shouldn't. boiling point, however, falls directly into this trap. especially the hilarious voice acting (one police station is filled with south american cops with russian accents. or ukranian, probably.)
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sending that stuff to me or what!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, You Are Empty. Of IDEAS!

Ha!
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried Boiling Point. It didn't go well : ( I respect ambition, but that game was made entirely out of overreaching.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a neat cover.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story on that cover

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: