The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

in ear canal phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: in ear canal phones Reply with quote

i can't call them in ear monitors cause that's not what they are. they're very invasive earbuds.

anyway, i am intrigued by the idea of running shit at low volumes on the subway. i am less intrigued by the fear of blowing my ears out or not being able to hear shit around me and getting stabbed or hit by a car.

what's the score?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for stillness. Not good for movement. Good for solitude, not for company.
And as much as I love the sound of my Shure E3Cs, I'll admit that they don't stay lodged in my ears well at all.

Honestly, Sony MDR-EX71s are where it's at for life around NYC. Proper canal phones are great for airline travel (minus any ear-pressure issues you may already have) and studio use and too invasive anywhere else. I don't know why people never listen to me about this.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$300 for headphones is fucking insane. that might be why no one is listening to you. (unless i looked up the wrong model) i would never spend more than 30 bucks for headphones if i wasn't doing work to get paid for with it, which is just my thing. stealth utilitarianism in all things, especially entertainment.

anyway, i made my post ipod bed (iaudio f2 - 100 bucks - and a pair of the creative knockoffs of the sennheiser 300cx or whatever it's called, for 20 something bucks) so we'll see what i see when i lie in it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you had the wrong model.

But let us know how you like what you got, cause I've never heard stuff from either of those companies.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thank god i thought you were insane. sorry. i saw a bunch of thousand dollar in ear canal phones that were "great for the subway and noisy commutes" and began to get that creepy feeling you get from the old lady who starts reading the bible out loud while the train is stuck.

well, the iaudio models get very high marks on the DAC side from people far more snotty than i, and the price was right for a 2gb player. battery life looked nice - 20 hours -, it works like a usb thumb drive and it wasn't apple so it satisfies all of my requirements. we'll see what the score is in six months, of course.

i am wary of sony products below their prosumer lines. i like my multi FX box quite a bit, and i did love my minidisc but i'd rather go coby.

did you know coby makes mp3 players now? i bet the insides are filled with cardboard.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this forum very helpful, and this thread incredibly helpful.

i am still mighty confused about the whole portable headphone amp thing.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to get those Sennheiser CX 300, but at stuck around the $30 range too. I just don't feel right paying more for something that I will just toss in my pocket/bag and possibly get snagged on something a break.

I'm using really terrible earbuds right now because I've been looking for good ones at the right price for a while now.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etymotic ER-4
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, they look kinda uncomfortable.

and not just for the wallet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an (unopened) pair of ZEN Aurvana that you can have if you want, dhex. I think they're worth like $100, or something, but you could have them for like, $25.

(I actually have a second pair, opened and used a couple of times. If you replace the ear buds (it comes with extras) they're as good as new, if you wan to save even more money.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: