The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We got a Wii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: We got a Wii Reply with quote

I know that a couple people from here stood in line this morning. My wife was #4 out of 10 people in line, but they only had 8 for pre-order available. We got pretty lucky! She forgot her Jacket, but she had a blanket. She was playing Super Princess Peach the whole time in line, how fitting!

Anyone else have luck?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided not to try. Which is kindof depressing.

Ugh, I'm really surprised with this 'short supply' business. Is the idea that there will be more supply very soon, and that the standing in line just serves to give you the bonus of having it a little earlier than everyone else? Because it sounds as if EB etc. aren't taking ANY more preorders for quite some time. At least according to the manager at my local Gamestop.

Most everyone here is more connected to the way the gaming industry does things than I am, so can anybody tell me why Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all doing things this way?

It just seems to me that instead of releasing consoles at-- what, $250?-- to fill maybe 5% of demand, only to have them selling within hours for three times the cost on eBay, they would just crank the price up to let's say $600 and make the extra money themselves. That's assuming that there are problems filling the demand for the console, and that it's not all just a stunt to get everybody foaming at the mouth about the new hard to get console.

I'm really not trying to criticize the way they're doing things-- I just want to try and understand it.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you actually get a console for this or you just stand in line to book a pre-order?

It doesn't seem like there's much of an advantage to being an early adopter on anything, even a console, unless you consider getting it early and advantage in itself. You usually pay more and get less.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Most everyone here is more connected to the way the gaming industry does things than I am, so can anybody tell me why Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all doing things this way?

I have heard reports that there will be almost 2mil available at launch for the Wii. They already have over one million systems "built" and boxed. On top of that it is rumored that Best Buys actually have some Wii in their safes locked up. The reason they are being so cautious is because MS didn’t meet expected initial shipments, so they couldn’t even fill pre-orders. Now it’s not “short supply” as much as being very cautious to ensure that pre-orders can and will be filled.
Lackey wrote:
So do you actually get a console for this or you just stand in line to book a pre-order?

Nope, the console is fully paid for and pretty much promised. I will be there at midnight for the damn thing too, but just because I want to play it.

friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I have heard reports that there will be almost 2mil available at launch for the Wii. They already have over one million systems "built" and boxed. On top of that it is rumored that Best Buys actually have some Wii in their safes locked up. The reason they are being so cautious is because MS didn’t meet expected initial shipments, so they couldn’t even fill pre-orders. Now it’s not “short supply” as much as being very cautious to ensure that pre-orders can and will be filled.

Well, that makes a little more sense. It's still unfortunate to have to so drastically limit preorders, but that's how it has to be. I suppose I'll hold off and see if the supply is a little more robust after Xmas (I doubt it!).

You can understand why, not knowing better, I would think it was short supply though, given the appearance.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
You can understand why, not knowing better, I would think it was short supply though, given the appearance.

Well PS3 only had 4-12 systems for pre-order per store. Some stores had as many as 35 Wii for preorder... so yeah.

GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up this morning at 8:40 in order to be at the mall by 10 when the local EB Games opened. After hitting snooze twice, I rolled out of bed to go take a shower, when the power promptly went out. I showered by candlelight and, still groggy, took my time eating breakfast. I got out the door and was on the road at 9:35.
It takes a good 30-35 minutes to get to the next town up I-5 where the mall is located, but traffic was light and I made good time, pulling into the mall parking lot at about 10:30. At this point, I was balancing the 'Holy crap you're late and they're sold out!' voice in my head with the 'This town is filled with redneck neanderthals. They only get excited for things like the XBox 360 that promise better graphics. They couldn't appreciate the Wii and wouldn't be interested' one.
There was a small line snaking out of the EB and only one person manning the store, but the line was much tinier than I expected; I counted about 12 people in front of me. "Perfect!" I thought, joining the line behind a little old lady. "If they have 15 preorders, I'll be sure to get one!" A few minutes later, after explaining to a couple of passing honkies sporting football jersies what the line was for ("So it's going to be like the Gamecube, is what you're saying." I knew I'd never successfully explain the controller to those neanderthals.), disaster struck. The little old lady in front of me turned around and said that they only had 14 preorders open. I'm the 14th," she said in that haughty, defensive tone the elderly can take when they assume you're some sort of fucking idiot or hooligan.

That broke my morning. I wasn't getting a Wii. Worse, I was beat out by the grandmother of some preteen kid who couldn't get out of school for the day, so he sent her instead. I must have heard "They only have 14 preorders! I'm number 14!" at least ten times more by the time I hit the counter. I BS'ed with the clerk, put down a preorder for Contact, cancelled FFXII and moved my balance on to Red Steel, and left the store, dejected.

I stopped by GameCrazy on the way home and was hopeful at seeing the empty parking lot; I was further disappointed when the girl at the counter told me they were no longer taking system preorders because of the Xbox 360 launch bullshit.

So, I have no Wii. I have a reserved game half paid for, and that's it. I'll probably go camp in front of Wal-Mart in the early morning hours and try to score one on launch day. It's just... I'm just so frustrated with what the retail chains are doing with this. You used to preorder a game or system to guarantee that you didn't have to wait in line or get up early on release day; you'd pay your deposit to have a system waiting. That was the advantage of preordering. Now, with preorders in ridiculously limited numbers, you not only have a slim chance of getting the product at the launch, but your ability to preorder it is also severly limited by--again--your willingness or ability to stand in line. The retailers have taken something that was a good idea, initially, and absolutely stripped it of its useless and effectiveness. And to think I believed Nintendo when they said they'd have one to two million shipped by year's end. At 14 units per store? Bullshit.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
And to think I believed Nintendo when they said they'd have one to two million shipped by year's end. At 14 units per store? Bullshit.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/05/wii-production-exceeding-expectations/

Also, this is mainly EB/GS doing the bullshitting from what I understand.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I'm not jumping to get a preorder, I have no doubt that I will get a Wii eventually.

I felt the VG cats comic about this was pretty fitting.

Also, price gouging on amazon begins.
Gunshinji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one. I showed up at around six o'clock to find three people standing outside of Gamestop. Nobody else showed up until eight. Our store only did 12 pre-orders and was pretty much sold out within fifteen minutes, leaving at the time three people who had just drove up, disappointed.

With Nintendo shipping a guarenteed 1 million units to North America and Wal-Mart holding 52% of the gaming market, GS/EB had about 3,600 stores to split whatever number of consoles avoided the Mexican and Canadian markets. At least, that's the explaination I was told for the lack of pre-order situation.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost seems as if the new console release business is getting worse. You'd think that the big 3 would be getting better about console launches. Instead it seems like we get a clusterfuck every single time.

EDIT: I'm sounding like too much of a jerk. Shaper, it's awesome you scored one, I look forward to hearing your impressions once it arrives! I assume that even though we didn't hear from him, Wes got one too. I might try and get in on GS/EB alleged online preorders, or maybe just wait until after Xmas, but I do want one badly. I was pretty loaded when I got home, otherwise I might have tried to swing by Gamestop.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunshinji wrote:
GS/EB had about 3,600 stores to split whatever number of consoles avoided the Mexican and Canadian markets. At least, that's the explaination I was told for the lack of pre-order situation.

I don't know about Mexico, but aparently Kanada land gets 200K of the NA's 1M units.
friedchicken wrote:
I assume that even though we didn't hear from him, Wes got one too.

Yeah, he did. Also, if Nintendo really has the numbers that they say they do it won't be hard to get on on launch day and right around then. Now, after Black Friday I wouldn't expect to find one.

EDIT: Also, here is the full story: http://shapermc.livejournal.com/107341.html

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry guys. I'm sure pre-orders will open up again.

GS/EB are just preparing "value" bundles for your convenience.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Don't worry guys. I'm sure pre-orders will open up again.

GS/EB are just preparing "value" bundles for your convenience.

You forgot double-quotes around "convenience."
And yeah, I'm not too terribly worried about getting one at launch--I wouldn't have preordered Red Steel today if I was. It's just... irritating that a console with a reported stock of 1,000,000+ is as difficult to preorder as the woefully underproduced 360 and PS2 were.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered a wii at toys'r'us about three months ago. I'm glad EB/GameStop (who doesn't seem to exist here) don't have a MONOPALLY or whatever over here.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
It's just... irritating that a console with a reported stock of 1,000,000+ is as difficult to preorder as the woefully underproduced 360 and PS2 were.

You know, it was a healthy bridge once. Microsoft burned that bridge to the ground though.

simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd meant to sit in line for a PS3 to sell on ebay, but couldn't motivate myself to do so. As for a system for myself, I'll pick up a Wii just as soon as I see one at retail, without any additional third party "value" bundlings.

It's hard for me to get all agitated about what games I'll be missing out on in the meantime. I've got scores and scores of games I have yet to devote proper time to.\

I'm a little bit surprised at myself, really. I honestly thought I'd be able to muster more enthusiasm, but I find myself just not caring so much about not playing things right away. Twilight Princess doesn't grab my attention the way Majora's Mask does, and I haven't played that yet either. I haven't yet played Deus Ex, Planescape, System Shock 2, Psychonauts, MGS 2 or 3, or any of the Silent Hills to completion. Excite Truck looks like it'd be fun to play, but would it be any less fun in 3 months, rather than 1?
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to disillusion
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disllusionment is pretty cool and useful once you get the hang of it.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quieter and more contempative.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm totally fine with it. It's nice to feel at peace with what I've got, especially as I've really entered this SuperWes-lite collectionist phase over the last couple years that disturbs and depresses me at times.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Twilight Princess doesn't grab my attention the way Majora's Mask does, and I haven't played that yet either.

!

Get on top of that one! It will be much better than anything you could play for Wii or PS3. It's just about the banginest N64 game there is. There are lots of dead people and old people and cursed people and selfish people and strangely mechanical chanting bosses and even people who you get to watch as they die. And whole worlds dying, if you play it right.

Quote:
Excite Truck looks like it'd be fun to play, but would it be any less fun in 3 months, rather than 1?

Oh my, yes. If you have learned anything in your years, it should be that the depreciation of videogame fun directly corresponds to shelf-life. The situation is so dire, in fact, that you'll probably be having negative fun with ExciteTruck after three months.

I can't afford a Wii now, and won't be able to until Mario Galaxy comes out and I force myself to. But I can finally afford to track down P.N.03! (Getting just about to absolute zero on the fun scale with that one)
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are six GS/EBs within six miles of my house, and I cased all of them by phone. The phone responses the day before ranged from confirmed numbers to honest ignorance, to insulting refusal to say anything about anything. Most of the stores that confirmed said that they were getting 12 or 16, and said that the "mall stores" would be getting more. One mall store confirmed 32; the other was the store that hung up on me while I was trying to see how many PS3s they'd had. The store that didn't know was apparently the runt of the area, having only gotten 3 PS3s and having no idea how many Wiis they'd have.

I plotted my route home (I work nights, so I was driving back to my area at 7:30 a.m.) according to traffic flow and maximizing the number of stores I would pass. A little after eight, I hit two nearby stores, each of which had a line about equal to the number of units they'd estimated or confirmed, so I moved on. I skipped the rude mall store, and went on to the mall store that had confirmed 30. I arrived at 8:30, and was ultimately twenty-first in line. At nine thirty, the manager came to hand out tickets and had a total of 31 for 31 people in line.

Later that weekend, I traded in games to cash in on the $10-extra deal, so I now have about $100 already paid to GS for my Wii.

I expect that the Wii will be difficult to obtain this year simply because of its "hot toy" status. However, unlike the 360 and the PS3, it shouldn't be impossible. Limiting the preorders will mean that later shipments in December will be available to shoppers, instead of to a legion of still-waiting preorderers.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to ask my mommy and daddy to get me one for Christmas. Seeing as how this will be the last Christmas of my public school career and possibly the last Christmas where I'm living at home I'm sure they'll probably pull through.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may well also be my tactic and I'm 23.

I preordered my Wii today! I am the 73rd person to pre-order a Wii from my local Gamestation, apparently, and there is still over a month to go before it comes out. By way of contrast, at the same shop the Xbox 360 got about 50 preorders, total. For the PS3 they have had next to nothing.

If my ass-backwards home town can take the Wii to its bosom, this gives me high hopes for the rest of the world!

Last edited by Harveyjames on Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
Later that weekend, I traded in games to cash in on the $10-extra deal, so I now have about $100 already paid to GS for my Wii.

This is the main reason why I'm disappointed that I missed out on the preorder phase at my local EB. I like the idea of being able to put money down on the Wii and work towards paying it off before the launch and not worrying about spending my 'Wii budget' before launch. If I have money down in the store, I can't touch it; sitting in my checking account it's a tempting target for Chinese takeout, coffee, and video rentals.

OtakupunkX wrote:
I'm just going to ask my mommy and daddy to get me one for Christmas. Seeing as how this will be the last Christmas of my public school career and possibly the last Christmas where I'm living at home I'm sure they'll probably pull through.

Milk it for all it's worth!
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's a good thing that I'm buying a car next month. This way I've no choice but to be happy with what I have, and very happy I am: the PS2 and DS continue to provide me with far more than I can even keep up with. I'll buy FFXII in several days and I might pick up Magical Starsign or Scurge: Hive tomorrow if the whimsical urge overtakes me, but after that I won't have money for any more videogames/entertainment until some time in December. By then I'll have to make a decision: Wii, Xbox 360, or new (HD)TV?
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead!

What's the deal with the Wii colors, does anyone know? I could swear I had seen images a few months ago of the console in five or six different colors, including bright red and a funky shade of lime. Now all I see is the standard white. Are we going to get the color options at launch, or is this going to be another one of those things where I decide to be an early adopter and regret it a few months down the line because Nintendo gives me new colors which are somehow more important than the console itself?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures were when they first announced the Wii years ago (then codenamed Revolution). I think the direction they're taking for the marketing and image and brand identity etc. has solidified since then. I'm sure they will introduce more colors when the Wii becomes more established but right now it's just the standard white. You could always get one of those snazzy vinyl skin covers with a picture of a Ferrari/flames on it.

EDIT:

"Nintendo’s Planning General Manager Mitsuaki Hagishima had an interview with Famitsu in which he discussed the plans for Wii colors…or should I say the lack thereof.

"As of right now there aren’t any plans to produce multiple colors of Wii consoles, but they are indeed planning different colored Wiimotes. I am sure this will all change as we get further into the life of the Wii. I think it is a good idea to stay with just the white version for now while they worry about shipments."
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoNintendo.com makes me feel like I'm part of something, somehow.

'Alright guys, I am off to bed. Hopefully everyone that is out there waiting for a Wii ends up getting a reserve! I know there are some very dedicated Nintendo fans with chattering teeth and shivering legs right now. Hurry up and get home to snuggle up in your bed…hopefully with a Wii reserve slip to tuck under your pillow! I’ll catch you guys in a few hours with more updates.'

How cute!

The TV keeps running adverts for GTA: Liberty City Stories and Scarface: The World is Yours and I am thinking Man, The Wii cannot come fast enough.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The TV keeps running adverts for GTA: Liberty City Stories and Scarface: The World is Yours and I am thinking Man, The Wii cannot come fast enough.

Yeah, I think I am going to finally take the opertunity to play Billy Hatcher this afternoon. I just played Marvel Ulitamte Alliance (or something like that) with Wes for like 5 hours last night. That is one of those things I have seen a lot of advertising for and Wes thought it would make a great multiplayer game but it was just... well, I don't know what it was. Mindnumbing is probably the best I can call it.

EDIT: I am starting to get really excited about the Wii. I mean I have been really excited about the Wii, but everything else that I am looking forward to is starting to pale in my mind. Like even FF3 for the DS is just too much at $40, but really that's just me finding some reason to not get it. Rather than getting Yakuza I preordered another game for the Wii.

It's weird.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a writer at Shiny Shiny who talks about not ever playing games and then getting suckered in to Nintendo's claptrap:
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2006/10/whats_wii_way_f.html
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Here's a writer at Shiny Shiny who talks about not ever playing games and then getting suckered in to Nintendo's claptrap:

What the hell is Shiny Shiny?

That was ... um, boring to read I guess.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand it means Nintendo's strategy to attract non-gamers is really working. Even her mother was telling her grandmother about it. Wow.

My family went crazy when I brought them back Donkey Konga for them to play on at Christmas. I have a pretty large extended family, but out of the women my sister Rebecca is the only one who plays games at all. However, all the women in the family had at least five goes on Donkey Konga, and get this:Donkey Konga isn't very good. God knows what it's going to be like when I bust the Wii out this Christmas. They will be running up walls, I expect.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:

What the hell is Shiny Shiny?

That was ... um, boring to read I guess.

It's a blog about gadgets that never covers video games. Sorry to waste your time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: