The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TheGamersQuarter PDFs converted for Playstation Portable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumbel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: TheGamersQuarter PDFs converted for Playstation Portable Reply with quote

Hi,

I converted the GamersQuarter PDF files for viewing on the Playstation Portable. Just unzip into the PSP/PHOTO/ folder on your memory stick and you should be able to view them with the build in photo viewer. The issues 1 to 7 are available at (still uploading, everything should be there in half an hour):

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/TheGamersQuarter-PSP/

Known bugs: On some pages Anti-Aliasing is disabled, not sure what is causing this, might be a bug in my Ghostscript version.

If anybody wants to convert the pdfs themself, they can do that via (assuming a Linux installation with Ghostscript and Imagemagick) something like this, exact usage might varry from PDF to PDF a bit:

Code:
# Convert each page to PNG
gs -q -dBATCH -dSAFER -r87.3 -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dNOPAUSE   -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4  -sDEVICE=png16m     -sOutputFile=/tmp/GamersQuarter7/page%03d.png -f TheGamersQuarter7.pdf -dAlignToPixels=1

# Break up double pages into two
for i in *.png; do convert -crop 480x742+0+0 "$i" "480/${i%%.png}_0.jpg"; echo $i; done
for i in *.png; do convert -crop 480x742+480+0 "$i" "480/${i%%.png}_1.jpg"; echo $i; done

# Fix timestamps so that page are sorted is correctly on PSP
find -type f -print0 | sort -f -n -z | while read -d $'\0' -r filename; do  t=$(printf "2006%02d%02d%02d%02d" $[($i/60/24+1)/28+1] $[($i/60/24+1)%28] $[$i/60%24] $[$i%60]); touch -t $t "$filename"; i=$[$i+1]; echo $t $filename; done
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is an amazing thing you did. I really appreciate this and know that others will as well. If we were to do a front page news post about this would you rather if we re-hosted the image, or would you like to keep it on your webspace?

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to do this!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm going to load this on my PSP tonight and take photos.
grumbel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
If we were to do a front page news post about this would you rather if we re-hosted the image, or would you like to keep it on your webspace?

For the moment I would prefer to leave it on my webspace, havn't actually read through all the issues myself, so there might still be some things left that might need correction.
grumbel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little update, by converting the PDFs to Postscript with Acrobat before converting them to JPEGs with Ghostscript I was able to solve the anti-aliasing issue with the fonts, so those pages that suffer from it should be better readable now. Also increased the compression a bit, so the total download went from 160MB down to 100MB.
grumbel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted the latest issue into JPG suitable for reading on PSP, its available at TheGamersQuarter8-PSP.zip.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I'm checking this out tonight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: