The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50 books game designers should read?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: 50 books game designers should read? Reply with quote

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3962&Itemid=2

i have read zero of these, near as i can tell, but if you're not interested in game design i don't see a lot of this speaking to you.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read two, and they're understanding comics and watchmen. i've seen most of them, though - xbox 360 uncloaked! (while dean takahashi's enormous head smirks at me from the "i get it" ad on the right.)

i don't read a lot of books. if i did, though, i'd probably read supercade, the hero with a thousand faces, post mortems from game developer, and chris crawford's book, actually. oh, and high score! while we're on the subject.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, hero with a thousand faces has issues. and i genuinely like campbell's work, even if he fotzed zimmer's last book (his mentor) and spawned a legion of "follow your bliss" bumper stickers.

the jungian stuff doesn't bother me so much, but there's a lot of facile connections he makes that just aren't nearly as overwhelming as he thinks they are. at the time of course it was something else, in terms of popularizing cultural history and mythology as subjects worth thinking about.

i enjoyed game over (thanks scratch) and will review it in the next issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, you didn't read zero of them.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i guess not. i read homo ludens too.

has anyone here read Unit Operations: An Approach to Videogame Criticism, by Ian Bogost

i liked the cover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a nice cover.

i just bought high score! for five dollars. that's barely relevent to this thread, though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is that Game Over: Press Start to Continue by David Sheff the same as Game Over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Dollars, and Enslaved Your Children and Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World ? Am I correct in assuming they're the same book just with timely updates, or are they all seperate titles? The naming scheme is pretty damn unintuitive.

It's good to see Sheff's work as well as Masters of Doom on the list; having those slices of the industry's history conveniently available are great, if for no other reason than to provide cautionary tales of what not to do because it failed with teams bigger and more ambitious than yours. The whole history part is pretty fascinating, too.

But, uh, Tom Clancy and Scott McCloud? The last things developers need is assistance in creating boring-as-fuck technical wankery or instituting artificial and pretentious restraints on a medium, respectively.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have heard of about 2/3 of the books yet only read about 5 of them. Yes the 3rd Ed. D&D players handbook is one of them... though the Dungeon Master's handbook is probably much better for this list.

Also, you don't really "read" Supercade as much as look through it.

Oh, and I almost bought Unit Operations, but after talking with a few people about it, and even chatting up the author I decided I was better off not trying to wade through it and then complaining about it. The cover is really sexy though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
So is that Game Over: Press Start to Continue by David Sheff the same as Game Over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Dollars, and Enslaved Your Children and Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World ? Am I correct in assuming they're the same book just with timely updates, or are they all seperate titles? The naming scheme is pretty damn unintuitive.

Yes, it's the same book. I understand that the changes included the removal of inaccurate predictions at the end of the book and the addition of some content that's not worth the effort of getting the new version if you've read the old one. But I can't say for sure, as I've read only the original version.

Interesting to see an Edward Tufte book on there. I've read several things by him but not that particular book.

Also, I like Understanding Comics.

I have six of the books on the list, but three are on the last page so they probably don't really count. I'm going to look into a few others I hadn't heard of before this, though.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising to see Designing Virtual Worlds by Richard A. Bartle wasn't there - in this age of MMO's, this thing is, in my opinion, mandatory reading. It helps that it's also hilarious, cynical and downright well-written, also.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masters of Doom is like the fastest I have ever read a book. I spent a day at university reading the whole thing in the library, between (and after) classes. I have no idea why, but I found that book gripping.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homo ludens is worth reading.

so shapes, why did that gorgeously covered book throw the red flag? is the author a cockface? is the premise tired and unoriginal? does it use helvetica neue as the body text?

i'm willing to accept that. i've read cockface-y-er. (unless this shit is like 30 bucks or something, then whatever. i can get stuff offa lexis-nexis.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've read two, and they're understanding comics and watchmen.

Me too, except I haven't finished Watchmen yet (just started it a few days ago). I would say that it's really good but that would be an understatement.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

high score! arrived and i've been reading through it. and by "reading" i mean looking through the pictures and occasionally stopping to read a paragraph here and there. which is well enough, since the writing is terrible. and frequently inaccurate, and written from a highly westocentric* point of view. there's almost nothing in it i hadn't already heard.

* i'm not sure this is a word. but it's true! the author only barely remembers to mention that some company named nintendo released this 8-bit system like kindof a lot of people bought, and there was a blue hedgehog at some point maybe? but it's all rounded out with the fluffiest, least significant interview with shigeru miyamoto ever.

the only real reason to look at the book is for the pictures, which include making-of stills of the last express, big spreads of console game screenshots, and lots and lots of mislabelings. too bad the design is rarely interesting. these people are not gameplan.

conclusion: i overpaid, but there are some interesting anecdotes from sid meier.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version do you have? Does it say "2nd Edition" or anything on the cover?

Anyways, I have to admit to reading almost none of it, yet looking through almost the entire thing. It is a very "coffee table book" book.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Surprising to see Designing Virtual Worlds by Richard A. Bartle wasn't there - in this age of MMO's, this thing is, in my opinion, mandatory reading. It helps that it's also hilarious, cynical and downright well-written, also.

It is on the list, here.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does writing a list even qualify as game journalism?

I mean on Amazon there are thousands of lists somebody should publish those as a novella or something.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
The Great Unwashed wrote:

It is on the list, here.

I knew that.

I was just testing you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: