The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real Discovery and Unique Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Real Discovery and Unique Experience Reply with quote

This is based on a couple posts in the Final Fantasy 12 thread.

I like it when a video game has elements that a player might not see. It's not that I want to play a game twice (I almost never do that), but I like the idea, or at least the illusion, of my playthrough being somehow unique--the possibility of finding something that few other players find. If you have one quick shot at something essential to the game and don't find out until much later that you missed it (as in the King's Quest series), then I think that's poor game design. But I actually like it when you can miss optional items (as in FF8) or even whole segments of the game (as in Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment).

I would also side with Enix where they allegedly wanted to leave things out of a guide so that people would discover them on their own. I can imagine that they wanted to hold back even more but that they were compelled by financial interests. I never use any sort of guide except as a last resort when I've been stuck on some part of a game so long that it just isn't fun anymore and I'm in danger of quitting--or if I find the game worth playing but not worth playing without a guide (Day of the Tentacle). This reminds me, too, of Nintendo's argument against Game Genie. Although I really liked messing around with Game Genie on games that I hadn't touched in years, I can see their point that it can really go against the creator's intentions.

On of my favorite video game-related stories is how in Atari 2600 Adventure, it took years for someone to find that very well-hidden room where the programmer wrote his name. If a game is worth playing, it's going to be played long after its release and I think it would be great if someone found more big secrets in commercial games many years after their releases.

Games with several endings used to bother me--again, because I almost never play a game twice. But I like the way that Silent Hill handles them. It's not that you need to play through again if you get a "bad" ending, but that the ending you get is what actually happens in the story based on your actions. In most games, it's unlikely that any two players are going to have a totally identical experience. Where you get killed or even what direction you walk in a given second makes your experience unique. I think this is pretty interesting.

Last edited by wourme on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The illusion of having a unique experience of a game is very important to me. I value it because it allows for a sense of ownership, or at least participation with a game.

I've lent Shadow of the Collosus to three of my friends, and none of them discovered undocumented features like the fruit or gecko tails. I was surprised myself when I found the little fish pond long after I'd beaten the game. I mean I can see how simply ommitting information can add value to certain features.

On the other hand, it's still less organic than actual emergent gameplay. When advantage of sandbox games is that they have much more potential for the unexpected to happen.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a lot of undocumented stuff in colossus. basic interacting with agro stuff. i like it; it's probably part of why so many people like to compare the game to the original zelda. i never discovered the fruit or geckos until after i'd finished playing the game.

silent hill's multiple endings are good because the process which selects them is invisible and kind of cryptic. it's not the kind of thing where you save your game right before THE BIG DECISION and then load your file after you've finished to watch the other ending.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're basically saying that you'd like to see a game full of esoteric secrets that are so obscure and hard to find that 99.99% of people playing it will never see close to the game's full content?

Funny, I think I know a guy who's working on a game like that Very Happy
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panzer dragoon zwei has multiple paths/endings. the episode 2, route 2 is amazing (reminds me of rez stage 5), and i didn't find the route until i'd played the game through a few times. it was an awesome surprise.

a videogame sandwich.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many games revolve around exploration but it's a rare game that actually gives you the sensation of being an explorer, discovering beautiful things no-one else has found. This is why one of my favorite Zelda moments is the Beaver Dam in Majora's Mask. I had no idea of its existence until like the third time I went through the game. Most people I know who played the game didn't find the Beaver Dam, either. There's something magical about stumbling across something like that- being rewarded for your deviation from the main path.

Some of the developer interviews on wii.com bode well for this sort of thing in Twilight Princess:

"I was always trying to think of subtle things that might or might not be noticed by players. These things are silly in a good way, and I tried to put in as many of them as possible... if we don't put enough of these things in the game, Miyamoto-san will always notice it and send an e-mail saying something like: "I went to all the trouble of trying this in the game and I was sad because I didn't get a new reaction from any of the characters in the game." I called these his "sob story e-mails".
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just mean the beaver dam at the end of the race? On that note, the crazy beaver fucking rocks, just like all the other characters in the game.

And to whomever liked the idea of emergent content better: I don't agree. I like finding my own private moments in the games I play from what is already there. It feels more personal and less given to me.

The Pikmin games and I have a special relationship. I'm not sure how much of what I do in them is more-or-less unique to me, but I do feel that I have gained an acute sense for their nuances, which feels just as rewarding. I have played the shit out of them.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
And to whomever liked the idea of emergent content better: I don't agree. I like finding my own private moments in the games I play from what is already there. It feels more personal and less given to me.

What? Emergent gameplay is the opposite of given to you. It is by definition finding things in what's already there.

Pikmin games are rock solid when it comes to these feelings. The first time I defeated a breadbug by having it grab hold of an item as the ship was beaming it in was priceless.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Soul Reaver had a few areas which were gratuitous but available if you cared to explore. You had the hidden temples which gave you new powers after you completed their puzzle, or more interestingly, if you found the last human stronghold and infiltrated it, you could interact with human beings whichever way you wanted. At first, they'd fear you of course, fleeing or attacking you with flamethrowers or crossbows, but if you left them in peace instead of using them as a source of energy, they'd grow accustomed to your presence, even worshipping you as a saviour against the vampire menace. This added strictly nothing to the story or even the gameplay, but it was a nice touch to make the world come off as alive.

I bring it up constantly, but LucasArts' earlier adventure games, like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, often boasted multiple solutions, something which later games lost, becoming more stream-lined. I find that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the best example of this because the solutions you come up with seem natural, so it's not like you feel you're missing on an opportunity and selecting one alternative over another. The illusion of a coherent world is there.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Do you just mean the beaver dam at the end of the race? On that note, the crazy beaver fucking rocks, just like all the other characters in the game.

I mean the whole section with the beavers.

helicopterp wrote:
The Pikmin games and I have a special relationship. I'm not sure how much of what I do in them is more-or-less unique to me, but I do feel that I have gained an acute sense for their nuances, which feels just as rewarding. I have played the shit out of them.

Did you ever find those crazy fireflies in Pikmin 2 who give you like 50 nectars if you attack them? I've only ever seen them once. I think they only appear near at twilight. In-game occuances that are so rare as to be almost legendary are the best.

Most people I know never found Keaton, the ghost fox in Majora's Mask, either.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
"I went to all the trouble of trying this in the game and I was sad because I didn't get a new reaction from any of the characters in the game." I called these his "sob story e-mails".

That's cool, in fact the whole 'reaction' to doing things is what I hope for when I daydream about the future of graphical interactive fiction (ie. action-adventure games that feel as detailed and clever as the old Infocom adventure games). Like when you change back out of your work clothes at the start of your work for Tom Nook. and he notices.

Yes, it is neat to find little secrets in games, whether it is in the terrain, or in how you can interact with the other characters. Like in Bully when I got Jimmy to kiss Eunice and Mandy saw and pushed Eunice then ran off in a sulk. (p.s don't take this as me recommending Bully, I still find Bully boring and deameaning to play).
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played it. Why is it demeaning?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the idea, or at least the illusion, of my playthrough being somehow unique

This is why I'm personally enjoying Hitman: Contracts very much. First, just as a note: more than any other alleged "stealth" game I've played, it actually forces you (at least on Professional, which is what I'm playing on) to be stealthy. No, you can't just "run into the next room" MGS-style and escape harm. At best, you'll escape temporary harm, but that guard will remember you and now they're looking for a "suspicious outdoor guard."

But more to the point: essentially every level has so many different ways of going about it--and even within these paths, different approaches. Do you dress up as the construction worker and go through the terrorists' checkpoint, or turn off the power to the police station and steal the cop's uniform, and go through the front? Do you dress up as the butler and poison his drink, or do you drop a gasoline bomb down the chimney?

They may seem like trivial options, but it really makes every level unique to your playstyle. You can interchange so many steps and methods that I'd really be surprised if more than a few people played through the game in the exact same way.

It's also why I like sandbox games like The Sims--if you listen to people talking about it, the conversation doesn't end aprubtly like with other games (if you're talking about New Super Mario Bros., the conversation can only have so much depth in terms of personal experiences). Each person brings a unique attitude to the table, and their anecdotes reveal a bit about themselves and how they play game. There's always the giddy sadist who devises ingenious ways to torture his Sims, there's the perfectionist who got himself caught in a love triangle...all those things.

Quote:

I bring it up constantly, but LucasArts' earlier adventure games, like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, often boasted multiple solutions, something which later games lost, becoming more stream-lined. I

For sure. I love adventure games, and actually was raised on the more linear style, but there is something refreshing about games like Maniac Mansion. Years ago, I hated feeling that I hadn't experienced every little thing a game had to offer, but now I realize was missing the point.

On that note, I'll also offer that this is why the "Rare" formula is so tired. It cheapens the explorative wonder and pin it down to a formula by explaining to you ahead of time that you have 62 xs and ys and bafmodads to collect--any "exploration" you're doing isn't out of curiosity, but perfectionism. In a game like Zelda, there is a true sense of adventure, and while there may be '4 hidden magical gems' or what have you, there are still more breathtaking vistas and tucked away zones that are more rewarding. Wind Waker excelled in this sense, if just because of the fundamental dynamic of the game: sail around the ocean.

Incidentally, I just thought of something. What are some great 'vantage points' you've found in games? I mean, a place that is not really a secret, and doesn't really reward the player with something tangible, but a spot from which you can really 'kick back' and get a nice view of some particular part of the game? I say this with Zelda in mind; I can't put my finger on nit because it's been a while, but certain parts of say, Hyrule Field really gave you that sense of awe, or at least the first time you saw them. I guess by definition they'd have to be high up, like in GTA...
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lockeownzj00"]
Quote:
In a game like Zelda, there is a true sense of adventure, and while there may be '4 hidden magical gems' or what have you, there are still more breathtaking vistas and tucked away zones that are more rewarding. .

GTA San Andreas is probably the best game I have played recently in terms of exploration there is so much 'interesting' scenery (and fun to jump off) dotted around in it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there's lots of really beautiful areas in GTA:SA. The 'view' from the top of the mountain has to be one of the most disappointing things I've ever seen in a videogame, though. I mean, it was the whole point of my climbing to the top, and I was rewarded with nothing.

In Ocarina of Time there's a rock (or a giant felled branch, I forget which) in Jabu-Jabu's lake, upon which a Scarecrow will appear if you play the Scarecrow's song. Then, you can latch onto the Scarecrow with the hookshot and pull yourself up to it. There's no reason to be up there, though, expect for the thrill of getting to a place you previously thought unreachable and for the view it affords you of the lake. I think there are a few instances of this in the game.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus Ex is full of little details that make it worth replaying. I've played through it about 8 times, and EVERY time I've foudn things I didn't notice any other times. Plus it's fun just seeing what you can get away with, kinda like Goldeneye.

Some examples!

First, the most obvious and widely known one. If you walk into the ladies toilets, you'll bump into an irate woman and get a stern talking to from your boss once you meet with him.

During one playthrough, I decided to kill everyone I could. When returning to Hells Kitchen (after killing the bartender), there was a new guy there who told me "Someone killed the bartender. Drinks are free!", shortly before I killed him.

At UNATCO HQ, there is a locked door in Alex's office. I noticed a poster next to the door though, advertising some geek convention. I punched in the year that was advertised on the poster, and hey presto!

After sneaking into an enemy base, I saw and heard two people having a conversation that I didn't see the last few times I played. If I saw this conversation the first time, it would have warned me not to trust one of the people in the conversation. (both, in fact).

It's the little details like this that made Deus Ex so great.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with Deus Ex, more so with Deus Ex: Invisible War, is that all those added details and alternate routes were set up in such a way considering how basically stream-lined (and frustrating) the play experience was, that choosing one route, whether in the form of a dialogue choice, a locked chest or door, an encounter with hostile individuals, or a solution to a set problem, always made me regret not taking the other. Alternatives always felt high-lighted to the point were it mattered little which road I'd follow, as the story was always bigger than my own decisions, and I'd feel like I wasn't playing the game properly or something, afraid that I was missing out on something massively important, thereby no longer playing in character and reduced to constant exploratory fits no matter what.

I hope games like Bioshock, with all their talk of emergent gameplay and story-telling, won't suffer from this.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there's nothing like regret and mystery to make one think "shit, that's neat."

it's like quicksave syndrome; sort of takes the fun away from fucking up and being lost forever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a quicksave addict, a la the odl gamespy daily victim (don't ask me about the mirror. blame google). But I've been getting better about it. Example: Hitman Contracts apparently has a mid-level save feature--but I didn't know about that since I've been playing the professional mode, which allows no such tomfoolery! Difficulty ++!

Also, you guys sound like you'd enjoy Sunglasses at Night (or, "Deus Ex gets turned inside-out by DOUG the Eagle") if you don't already know about it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Did you ever find those crazy fireflies in Pikmin 2 who give you like 50 nectars if you attack them? I've only ever seen them once. I think they only appear near at twilight. In-game occuances that are so rare as to be almost legendary are the best.

Maybe? This just makes me want to go play the game. (Louie is still lost!)

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Do you dress up as the butler and poison his drink, or do you drop a gasoline bomb down the chimney?

For maximum awesomeness, you should dress up as the butler anyway before you drop a gasoline bomb down the chimney.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinner is served! *boom*
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Maybe? This just makes me want to go play the game. (Louie is still lost!)

Oh man! Waste no further time, then! Poor Louie.

When I first played Pikmin 2 in Japanese, one of the 'mails' I recieved at the end of the day was from a mystery friend, who pointed me towards a secret URL. At the url was a questionnaire based on the events of the game, like this was where I had to report my 'findings' since I started exploring the mysterious planet. It felt pretty special. In the English version, he just points you towards the official English Pikmin 2 website, which is this: sucks.

While I'm on this, one of the items you collect in the Japanese Pikmin 2 is a marijuana leaf. Also the doll's head is worth 666 pokos. And what the English game calls 'Laughing Gas' is called 'Chemical Weapon' in the Japanese version. I was going to do a website about all the differences between the two versions, but then something more important came up (Rumble In The Bronx was on TV).
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 games that would initially seem dissimilar; however, they all work on the same principles, as have somewhat been mentioned above:

Hitman
Dwarf Fortress
Football Manger/Championship Manager

All of these games rely on the player having an intuitive idea of how a fairly complex and abstract system work and then experimenting in order to do what they want. These games are successful because they are broad enough to accomodate a wide range of possible inputs and coherent enough that a player can, if they're clever enough, successfully predict the behavior of the game, meaning that the game will be as sophisticated as the player wants it to be.

Now, none of these games is really playable without some bit of system manipulation. Given enough hardware (guns or a really good team), you can brute force Hitman and Football Manager, although it isn't really that much fun and you'll eventually run into a brick wall or two. Dwarf Fortress is fairly difficult to just bull through, mainly because basic survival requires a fair amount of understanding how the game works.

The main problems with these games is that they take a lot of investment in terms of time and planning. You have to be willing to spend a lot of time with these games and you might not get anything back from the investment. I love these games; it's rare that I can really give them the attention that they deserve.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty suprised that none of the Elder Scrolls games have been mentioned yet.

Morrowind was the first game in a long time where I felt like I was playing a game that no one else was playing. Even the other people that I knew playing the game were telling me about completly foreign things. To date it is fairly hard to find someone who played the same way that I did. Oblivion seems to be a bit closer because there is less overall to do, and it is more structured.

Anyways, Metroid is one of those games that I hold dear to me because it always felt like my own. I played it in a similar way that everyone else did, but it is just so devoid of explination and details that you have to fill in the gaps yourself. This is mainly why I get angry about the remake of the game with Zero Mission (as I just stated about 10 min ago in another thread). I had a story that I created, and even filled in some of the back story in my ten year old brain when I first played it, then Nintedo comes and tells me that is all wrong. Anyways, I hope that makes sense.

Castlevania (particularly Simon's Quest) was one of those games where finding things felt like I had actually found some thing hidden. Like when you got down a flight of steps and at the top a crown apears from the floor. Or you just happen to be whipping too close to a wall and you break it to reveal meat. Great things like that. Simon's quest was just so obscure that figuring anything out without a guide felt like a personal acomplishment.

On the note of Game Genie... well, I used mine to cheat a lot because I wanted to see more of the games than I usually could in a rental peroid. But for games that I owned I loved to do things like moon gravity in SMB3 and what not.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Incidentally, I just thought of something. What are some great 'vantage points' you've found in games?

I didn't realize that in SotC, you could climb the life-refilling monuments. I was rewarded with a camera angle that recognized I had reach a particularly special vantage point. Here is a not-great image of where I was:

Shadow of the Colossus

I love these sorts of things. They're why I play videogames, I think. One of my other favourites was peering through the looking glass in the Outer Wall in Symphony of the Night.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I didn't realize that in SotC, you could climb the life-refilling monuments. I was rewarded with a camera angle that recognized I had reach a particularly special vantage point.

yes! it was towards the end of the game that i finally figured out how to reach the top of them. it was very swell. from then on i was sure to do it every time i found one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, climbing those shrines was the first thing I did, even before fighting the first collosus. It looked like that's what they were for!

shapermc wrote:
Morrowind was the first game in a long time where I felt like I was playing a game that no one else was playing. Even the other people that I knew playing the game were telling me about completly foreign things. To date it is fairly hard to find someone who played the same way that I did. Oblivion seems to be a bit closer because there is less overall to do, and it is more structured.

I had the same experience. Morrowind was a very social game for me (one of the few most of my friends were playing around roughly the same time) and there was lots of story swapping. It was nice to do that and not have all the discussion about "have you got to part x yet."

Harveyjames wrote:
While I'm on this, one of the items you collect in the Japanese Pikmin 2 is a marijuana leaf.

Is it possible this is still in? Because I remember getting something that looked just like a marijuana leaf. Or at least a very thin spoked maple leaf.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Ha, climbing those shrines was the first thing I did, even before fighting the first collosus. It looked like that's what they were for!

well, i spent the whole game trying to climb them, but it wasn't toward the end that i had climbed enough things to be able to figure out the route to the top. which is a pretty good way for that sort of thing to work, i think!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I agree, there's lots of really beautiful areas in GTA:SA. The 'view' from the top of the mountain has to be one of the most disappointing things I've ever seen in a videogame, though. I mean, it was the whole point of my climbing to the top, and I was rewarded with nothing.

You kind of have to reward yourself. I rewarded myself by taking a bicycle up the mountain and then riding it off of the thing, almost resulting in my virtual death.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I was just expecting a view of the surrounding land. Even Ocarina's Death Mountain has that.

Lackey wrote:

Is it possible this is still in? Because I remember getting something that looked just like a marijuana leaf. Or at least a very thin spoked maple leaf.

Yep, they switched it for a Maple leaf, or something similar. You find it in an underground glade which has all these shafts of light, butterflies and running water but no enemies. It's quite a beautiful area, and the leaf is the only item there. I think the office was getting kinda cloudy the day they made that section, if you know what I mean.

Quote:

Also, each shrine has a single white-tailed lizard on it, and you have to collect all the tails in the game before you're able to climb the temple in the middle. It's cruel how the game has only one hidden area and you have to collect every item in the game to get to it. It's like the Takashi's Challenge of secret areas.

It's generally agreed that everything in Shadow of The Colossus is very deliberate and nothing is there that shouldn't be there- bearing that in mind, why do you suppose they don't let the player fight the Colossi out of order? It's funny that we are given this vast land to explore, but your exploration never bears any fruit, so to speak.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It's generally agreed that everything in Shadow of The Colossus is very deliberate and nothing is there that shouldn't be there-

shaman's mask? sword of the sun? harpoon of thunder?

but anyway, there's clearly a progression going on with the colossi, both in terms of difficulty and in terms of tone. the early ones just kind of watch you until you try to attack them. later they start taking you more seriously and striking you with bullets from a distance. i remember the first time i thought "this thing will actually kill me" and not the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe space out the stronger colossi so they're at farther and less accessible ends of the world? Use this as a reason to stress the cloud effect on the map?

SotC was only one big push from being as good as it deserved to be.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Legend of Zelda, which Shadow Of The Colossus seems to draw a lot of inspiration from, lets you attempt the dungeons in any order. If you find you're not good enough, not strong enough or whatever, you just leave that dungeon alone and go for the next one in the correct sequence. Shadow could have done that too- it could let you meet the super-powerful ones out of sequence so you go 'HOLY CRAP' and run away, or even take it on and try your luck. But the developers chose not to do this.

I figured it was maybe something about destiny and about making you feel powerless. All there is to discover is that there is nothing to discover, and following orders is your only option. Perhaps this is what makes the game feel so powerful and opressive.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, like the ending SPOILERS when the game gives you control, and ofcourse you try to get away from your inevitable death. which ironically contrasts with Mono's subsequent revival. Northrop Frye would have a field day with SotC's narrative, like a kid in a candy store.

"But I tried, though...Goddammit, I sure as hell did that much, now, didn't I?" - R. P. McMurphy.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'd forgotten about that. So right from the start, we thought we had freedom but in fact we were bound to following orders. And this climaxes with that part you mentioned- the game lets you try to get away, but you eventually just have to accept that you cannot. Blimey. Cheery stuff.

I personally don't think it means anything specific, I just think the game is like a very fine tuned machine (or piece of art) designed to produce a certain set of emotions. You're only given freedom so you can realise it is worthless, because this realisation then magnifies the sense of helplessness/isolation/whatever you're supposed to be feeling.

Especially when you start to notice that through performing this task you're bound to do, the main character is gradually destroying himself.

I have more to say on this but I don't think you want to see me pull my wank hat over my head any tighter, so I'll let someone else have a go for a change. Does anyone else have any theories?
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
you want to see me pull my wank hat over my head any tighter?

I'll pull yours if you pull mine? [/nohomo]
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull away!
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It's funny that we are given this vast land to explore, but your exploration never bears any fruit, so to speak.

Did you notice the fruit in that secret area is poisonous? It lowers your health bar if you eat it. That can't be accidental. There's no real secret areas in SotC, just places that are hard to get to. You can't leave, either. I walked the whole way along the bridge, just to find that I couldn't go through the gate. That would have made for a great alternate ending though: "...and then he went home."

Also, there's one beach in the game with waves that push you back just like they do in the ending scenes.

Harveryjames wrote:
You find it in an underground glade which has all these shafts of light, butterflies and running water but no enemies. It's quite a beautiful area, and the leaf is the only item there.

Yes! I remember it well. That was a great area.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the poisonous fruit could be there to show you that there's no respite from your task. No matter how hard you try to find something else to do, you'll meet a dead end. Just when you thought you'd finally found some kind of reward, the game kicks you in the ass.

Or perhaps it's there to cast a sinister gloom over the ending sequence, like 'sooner or later they're going to eat that fruit and die.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: