The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Okami, anyone playing it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay, apologies accepted all around.

I might have some conclusive thoughts about A Link to the Past if I weren't stuck in a dungeon for the last, oh, seven months or so. (Maybe I could send it to one of those new places that will play the game for me if I pay them! That would be productive!)
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have Okami and am enjoying it. The Zelda comparisons are entirely misplaced. The only real similarities I've picked up so far are overarching game structure (also shared with Metroid, Castelvania, etc.), the existence of regular dungeons (uhhh), and awkwardly awkward characters that make annoying noises. I think that last bit is the thing that reminds me the most of OoT.

The brush is completely and totally awesome. I like painting things. I actually don't mind the handholding! After playing Alundra I don't want to solve any more fucking puzzles anyway.

I can beat LttP in 4 hours with 100%. Not exactly the record, but it's one of those games that gets better the faster you play it.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soul reaver 2 has a ridiculous narrative.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESS, NO!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Give this man the star prize.

Yaaaaay! I hope it's a pair of socks!

I will extrapolate on why I don't like Link To The Past if anyone cares enough. I do want to stress that the dungeons are great (Ganon's Tower in particular is insane) and the whole Light/Dark world thing is a clever concept, of course. There's another Nintendo game that does that, in fact; a Game Boy game called Mole Mania where you can dig into the underground world that runs parralel to the overground world. It's interesting because you can see the clever puzzley places they could have taken the Light/Dark world thing if they'd been so inclined.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
there's another Nintendo game that does that, in fact;

Metroid Prime 2?

I'm pretty sure that what may have been clever in a Link to the Past has since been run into the ground.

That being said, shamefully I admit that I enjoyed the way it played out in Metroid Prime 2.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
I now have Okami and am enjoying it. The Zelda comparisons are entirely misplaced. The only real similarities I've picked up so far are overarching game structure (also shared with Metroid, Castelvania, etc.), the existence of regular dungeons (uhhh), and awkwardly awkward characters that make annoying noises. I think that last bit is the thing that reminds me the most of OoT.

It shares many, many more similarities to Spyro. Spryo itself is once removed from the Zelda formula, but yeah.

Anyways, here's an interesting interview with the creator of Clover/Okami. Somewhat relevant to the discussion because at one point they had no idea how they wanted the game to play.
dessgeega wrote:
soul reaver 2 has a ridiculous narrative.

This list could get really, really long.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Fred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of people who are playing Okami. I'm just renting it for now because I am broke and because all the ridiculous games are coming out this month, but I'm enjoying it so far. Helicopterp's comments are reassuring; it's a great game so far, but I feel dizzy sometimes while trying to take in the scenery and deciding what to do. I have a suspicion that this is the point.

I just wish it had been released for the DS instead of the PS2 because I can't draw a circle with a joystick for poop.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought Okami this weekend (along with God Hand) but something happened and I wound up with Manhunt, Capcom Classics Collection, Nightmare of Druaga, Zone of the Enders (with the MGS2 demo), and Star Ocean: Second Story, plus the movie Bully (no relation to the videogame, but I think this got rereleased on DVD because the game came out).

I think it's because I'm going through this wierd pseudo-breakup thing that has me more confused than anything. I wish I had bought Okami though.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick cry for help: Am I doing something wrong when I try to splash water on the dead patches of ground that I can't dig into? Either I have misinterpreted what I can do with the water brush technique or I am totally inept with the celestial brush (which is a definite possibility: the part of the game where you draw vines to a log in a river took me an hour. I have crappy handwriting, too.)

P.S. This game has gotten really good except that there is way too much dialogue and the stupid bug still doesn't think that I know what I'm doing. He also can't figure out how in the world all the dogs that have matching scarves are all members of the same group.

P.P.S. Otakupunkx, I know this is kind of late, but pseudo-break-up things suck much worse than actual break-up things (or not-at-all-break-up things). Tell her (him?) to make up her mind and let you shop for games with a level head.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta get a stronger dig ability. You can buy it later on.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
P.P.S. Otakupunkx, I know this is kind of late, but pseudo-break-up things suck much worse than actual break-up things (or not-at-all-break-up things). Tell her (him?) to make up her mind and let you shop for games with a level head.

I ended up just telling her off. It was a really hard thing to do, but in the end, I feel better for it. I'm glad it ended before things got worse. Thanks, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
the stupid bug still doesn't think that I know what I'm doing.

If you play at the same rate as my wife it will take you about 30 hours before the bug stops telling you exactly how to do everything.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper, that is truly depressing.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Shaper, that is truly depressing.

That was actually the only thing that my wife complained about for the game. Then after the bug stopped telling her everything she kind of forgot how bad it was at the beginning and said "well, it's not that bad."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: