The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just had a "whoa" moment, like Keanu even

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: I just had a "whoa" moment, like Keanu even Reply with quote

There was a game called Maniac Mansion for the NES (and PC before it) that people in the last video game online community I used to hang around in loved. I owned this game, once, but I couldn't play it because it was too scary. I would dream that I'd get up in the night and Dr. Fred would come to my bedside and kill me. My guess is you've heard of this game.

This past week I took a Javascript class given at work which was quite good. The gentleman giving it was named Doug Crockford and seemed well versed in JS stuff. Today, there was an email about a software conference where he would be speaking (this is kind of common) so I googled his name and found his Wikipedia page.

I didn't realize he was the person in charge of porting Maniac Mansion to the NES, and the guy who invented JSON. I'm sure you're probably only interested in one of those. He wrote an essay about the Maniac Mansion port and Nintendo being tightwads that you may have already read.

Andrew Toups suggested that I try to interview him for TGQ. I don't know what I'd ask him, and I'm worried it mgiht upset him since he's probably talked about this sort of thing to death already, but I'm not afraid to ask.

So: do you have any questions for the person in charge of bringing Maniac Mansion to the Nintendo that I could ask him? He worked for Lucasarts, so he probably knows about the other SCUMM titles, but I don't know what else he's worked on or how long he was in the gaming industry.

If I get enough questions, I'll see if he'll agree to an interview. Otherwise if someone would be interested in writing an article, I can probably get some insight from the other side of the fence from him.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniac mansion is one of my favourite adventure games! I endded have read his essay before. I can't think of any questions right now (I never really played the NES version) but I'll re-read his essay and play the ROM when I get back home and see if I can come up with anything.

I stared at the box for this game everytime my mother took me to the rental store, but I never rented it. I'm not sure if I was scared of the game, or if I was scared my mother would say no.

Likely a combination of both.

Also, high five him for me.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a fantabulous idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the banner that came up when I clicked on this thread! Uncanny.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could probably make quite a few peoples' eyes glaze over, but I would be highly interested in knowing if the team porting Maniac Mansion actually had an implementation of SCUMM working on the NES, or if they just coded the single game from the ground up.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

questions about the Nintendo enforced censorship of this title are always popular, but may have been done to death

the SCUMM engine question would be cool... just how much of the port was code-centric, and how much was based on reproducing what they were seeing on screen...
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally ask him to autograph my MM cart.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking Maniac Mansion and its greatness! I prefered the NES version, even with the censorship (luckily, I was still able to microwave the hamster in the version I played). I think I beat that game at least four times with different scenarios. I still prefer using Bernard and Razor, though. Also, the NES music was just great—even today I catch myself humming its catchy tunes now and then.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in both the NES port of Maniac Mansion and JSON! Tell him he's awesome. Not enough 8-bit hackers that are able to keep themselves relevant like that.

The actual answer to the rewrite-or-SCUMM-port question is actually both! The Japanese version was a total rewrite, but the US version used a port of the SCUMM engine.

And now you know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, the more pressing question is: how difficult would it be getting Secret of Monkey Island or Zak McCraken & the Alien Mindbenders running through the engine code? I can imagine it would be quite the undertaking, and like the port of Doom to the iPod it would most likely be totally impractical, but still pretty damn sweet!

EDIT: Someone on that link already asked that question too! I must have a psychic tendency towards redundancy!

Last edited by GSL on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooM on the intellivision was more sweet!
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was Doom on the Intellivision? I know there was a big EGM April-Fools hoax quite a few years back about Doom on the 2600, but I never have heard about any Intellivision port. Details, if you please!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/doom/

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part of Douglas Crawford's three part series on Javascript just got put online for the public. If you have any interest at all in javascript, I highly recommend checking it out.

part 1
part 2
part 3
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY

So I was just at a talk by Douglas Crockford (his correct name, which I've been getting wrong) and I asked him if he would be interested in talking about his days at Lucasarts for an article. He introduced me to Chip Morningstar (his real name?) who wrote the original SCUMM compiler as a 3 day hack. They both said they'd be willing to talk although Douglas may be too busy to meet in person but we could do an email interview.

I'm expecting people who have played Maniac Mansion/other Lucasarts SCUMM based games to give me ideas for questions!
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man

i am such a SCUMM sucker

what to do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: