The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMB2j

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: SMB2j Reply with quote

Originally sent to Dess, reposted to her suggestion:

You know what reminds me of this game? Wayne's World 2. It spends an hour and a half laboriously breaking down the world that Wayne and the viewer thought they understood by the end of the first movie, questioning everything and kind of kicking the protagonists in the face in retribution for their pride in thinking that they were masters of their domain.

What's really going on is that the movie is kind of punishing them for stasis, as they're still relying on the same tricks and the same assumptions that carried them so easily through one movie -- whereas none of that works in the "real world", once they've made it out of their parents' places and started to face real life concerns.

Much of the humor in the movie is based on the awkwardness of Wayne and Garth not having adapted to a world that's no longer in their control -- often to a bizarre and arbitrary extent. It's a harder movie to appreciate than the first one, where -- a few setbacks aside -- you can rely on the protagonists to pull you through and consistently entertain you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this great idea for a game which takes place in two distinct game worlds, one which is meticulously fair and kind to the player, the second being a bonus round that comes into place every few levels, it gives you an 1up then throws insane odds at you think (bullet hell). When your ship/character dies it reverts to the normal game world and carries on as normal.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like standard brainwashing techniques.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Sounds like standard brainwashing techniques.

Here's hoping Introversion software stumble upon this thread.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, someone verify aderack's crazy thesis for me. i've never seen the full wayne's world movies, so i don't know if there's anything to this. one of them had bohemian rhapsody in it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so, someone verify aderack's crazy thesis for me. i've never seen the full wayne's world movies, so i don't know if there's anything to this. one of them had bohemian rhapsody in it?

I suspect the intersection of the sets of people who have seen Wayne's World 2 and the set of people who have played the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 is rather limited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: