The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kids can now trade in a global weapons market

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: kids can now trade in a global weapons market Reply with quote

http://www.steampowered.com/stats/csmarket/

man, if only jack thompson gave a shit about pc games outside of doom. he could rail on, uh, stuff.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome, actually. I think this would make an interesting subject for an economics paper.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the adolescent community backlash been like?
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniping more and trying not to die? Woo Hoo.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea is so (potentially) great and obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it first.

I can't even imagine how well this would work in an RTS game. Might have been able to solve some of the problems I had with Warcraft 3.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure people will be indignant about it, but I think it's a fantastic idea. It just makes every shot, every purchase, that much more valuable.
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little twist, but economies of scale don't seem to be taken into account.

Mass purchasing of some weapons would actually reduce prices.
(In RL)

AKs are all over the place, and can be had for a pittance unless they have to be smuggled and "washed".

So do they have different prices based on the supposed geographic location of a particular map?
Some maps and add-ons assign weapons already, so there are stubs to add the functionality.

Should CTs get their basic RL weapons free? (being government employees and all that)
Perhaps a team pool for buying the fancy stuff or nonstandard gear.

Maybe just keep CS:S as what it is.

Adding "realism" to CS:S is like when some TV person/people suggested having the characters on Gilligan's Island adapt and survive realistically.

Silly.

I would like to see a Smart Mode with actual missions, claymores, climbing, etc.
But, no.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I don't think it's adding "realism" at all. I don't think they're striving for that. Or was fy_iceworld already plausible, in your mind?

I don't think they're trying to base it on "real" economies, either. It's a new game feature which may be loosely kinda-sorta related to something potentially possible. But who cares? I think this move's a good one, the game is in need of new features.

On maps where the weapons are given, I'm sure that it falls outside of the Market's rules. I bet you you can even turn off or not participate in the market in isolated games.

So, it's not about realism at all, it's about adding a new dynamic/balance to the gameplay.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a brilliantly sneaky fashion to prevent 13 year-olds from being AWP whores and forcing them to try stuff out because the prices wil become exorbitant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: