The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: DOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

So, I had a pretty terrible day today. Needless to say that there is no other day that Doom could have come out more fittingly and ripe for my purchase than today. So, the first thing that I did when I got home was download it on the 360. Then I played it.

Doom has aged amazingly well. This is also a very, very good port of the game. Picking carefully I ended up picking Ministy to listen to while blowing shit away. Then I started chatting up Toups on live.

Then we realised that we were idiots because we were playing the same part of the same game at the same time but not playing co-op. Yes, Doom made me open my live arcade subscription card to play. We then teamed up and went through the entire Shores of Hell chapter.

Man this game aged really, really well. It was like a flood of nostalga, but not in the same as games normally do. Not in the: man I remember what it was like playing this, it felt like I was 12 years old again playing the living shit out of this game and loving every second of it.

Your not almost dead at 1% health, your just begining to really live.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all sincerity; I'm very happy for you.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always talk about replaying Doom, but never do.

I never really liked it much in the first place. I played it quite a bit, but only until I got a memory upgrade and started playing Mechwarrior 2 with a Sidewinder joystick. While my friends were all talking about spider demons with machine guns, I was trying to impress upon them (with some success; later a friend would use Mechwarrior 2 to get into Gundam anime and from his own words, "ruin his life") the abject fear of staring down a Dire Wolf in a Firemoth.

One boring weekend I finished the first and third chapters, just to see the end bosses. It was fun, I suppose, but it didn't seem quite like I was playing a "legendary" game. In fact, I pretty much ignored FPSes after that, with the notable exceptions of Tribes and Thief: The Dark Project.

There's something about the first person view that eliminates a good deal of the adrenaline factor for me. I've always blamed the controls; they seem too unresponsive, even later with mouselook, to do it for me. If I want to do something in, say, Devil May Cry 3, I just push a few buttons at most, and boom, it's happening. Something, I believe, gets lost in the FPS when you have to go "okay, let's start circle-strafing this guy."

I've always wanted to go back and play System Shock 2, but I always put it off.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something really strange about Doom in that it is one of the very, very few games that I can sit down and play at almost any time of the day or night. The game never seems to get old for me. I've always thought of the game as the pinnacle of the 'arcade'-type of title, meant to be played fast and for the viceral thrill of blowing everything up. The dated soundtrack still gets my blood pumping to this day, and the bass tones of the weapons feel oh-so-satisfying when your speakers are turned up to Loud.

What really helps bring the game out is one of the modern source ports; my favorite happens to be Doomsday, which works with not only Doom/Doom 2/Ultimate Doom, but with Hexen and Heretic as well. There's something gleefully anachronistic about adding things like lens flares to a game whose 'light sources' are all 2D bitmapped sprites, but the real thing that amps up the fun is the addition of the mouse look, enabling you to play Doom like any modern FPS. Also included are fun tools to help you create co-op or deathmatch games over real live internets and not archaic modem interfaces like DWANGO. Of course, I get all my kicks in the single player mode, but that's just me.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn you straight to hell, Shaper. To the Shores of Hell.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the magic of sprites, man. I can't think of many other FPS games that both
A. throw a TON of baddies at you
B. can leave corpses of baddies around to act like your breadcrumb trail.
It's amazing how some of the early levels have imprinted on my brain.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say it. I don't like the game very much without infinite health.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:

It can be brutal, but once you get the real flow of it (easier than in many other games, I believe) you can tear through even the hard difficulties with little trouble.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never forget the first time I saw the Double Barreled Shotgun animation. I must have flipped out on my Cousin's computer.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

It can be brutal, but once you get the real flow of it (easier than in many other games, I believe) you can tear through even the hard difficulties with little trouble.

Except Nightmare. I can finish every DooM game on Ultra-Violence, but can only get up to E1M3 on nightmare, which is how far John Romero can get himself. I don't think I did much better in DooM II...
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Except Nightmare. I can finish every DooM game on Ultra-Violence, but can only get up to E1M3 on nightmare, which is how far John Romero can get himself.

Sounds like a challenge!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

Except Nightmare. I can finish every DooM game on Ultra-Violence, but can only get up to E1M3 on nightmare, which is how far John Romero can get himself. I don't think I did much better in DooM II...

Yeah, I specifically ducked w/ "hard" not "hardest" because I couldn't remember if the very hardest were super impossible. I think the next level down (what was it, Ultraviolence?) was very do-able if you had the feel for it.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra-Violence is manageable because you can actually kill all the enemies in a level, whereas with Nightmare they just keep spawning until you find the exit.

Good times, good times.

I'm playing my sister's Xbox version and it's still a great game that holds up well after thirteen years or however long it's been.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

Yeah, I specifically ducked w/ "hard" not "hardest" because I couldn't remember if the very hardest were super impossible. I think the next level down (what was it, Ultraviolence?) was very do-able if you had the feel for it.

I only play the game on Ultra-Violence, I don't have trouble with it, but Nightmare is just impossible since the enemies respawn so quickly, they move so fast, and ammo goes down very quickly (pro-tip: it's best to just avoid everything).

Co-oping on Nightmare can be pretty entertaining, though.

I remember when I was in school, this girl told me she finished DooM II on Nightmare. I think she was trying to impress me. She was pretty cute, but I couldn't date someone who would lie about something like that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I remember when I was in school, this girl told me she finished DooM II on Nightmare. I think she was trying to impress me. She was pretty cute, but I couldn't date someone who would lie about something like that.

Yeah man, you got to have standards!

Alsom me, toups, and alfred just tried to co-op episode one on nightmare and we crashed the game... I don't think we were going to make it past the fourth level anyways.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god it's so good it's so goooood!
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

You should have asked her to show you. That may have been an alright date.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I a pariah for preferring Doom II? I mean, how can you say no to a sawed-off?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Dracko, you were a pariah long before that Smile

I haven't ever played a Doom game, but William Faulkner wrote an appendix to The Sound and the Fury about 17 years after he published it originally that introduced into the history of Yoknapatawpha County a Native American whose name was shortened to "Doom" by the French and English settlers. It's a hilariously overwrought and overwritten piece, especially compared to the brilliance of the novel onto which he tacked it. So that's my favorite Doom.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who here has read the Doom novels? They give the marine a name, and tentatively a heart, the demons aren't demons at all, and I hear it's all messy business.

They probably pale in comparison to this sequential classic.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first Doom novel. They named the marine Flynn Taggert, which just sounds dumb, they called the pink demons Pigs, the Cacodemons Pumpkins, and a whole slew of other things that I can't remember anymore. On top of that, it was a series of books so you just know how bad it really got.

Though, thinking back on it, it was a good book in a sort of pulpy sense.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mech: I have all four of these. The first two are the best, and that ain't sayin' much.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought DOOM II was widely superior. Good level design and interesting new bad guys.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be accurate to say Doom stole Marathon's thunder? They were released practically at the same time, yet Marathon was far innovative on a design and story-telling level (Though far from perfect). I don't feel it to be wholly accurate mainly because by putting it on Mac, Bungie ostracised themselves from further exposition.

And for what it's worth, Prey was what Doom 3 should have been, though I don't think that's saying all that much either way.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I don't feel it to be wholly accurate mainly because by putting it on Mac, Bungie ostracised themselves from further exposition.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, it wasn't exactly a level playing field back then. Doom had been out for some time before Marathon (I want to say a year, but it's probably less) and I'm pretty sure the PC had gotten a lot more exposure than the Mac or the Apple or whatever it was back then. I didn't even know the Marathon series existed until about four years ago when Bungie got big off of Halo. Plus, factor in the whole shareware scene, which played a huge role in getting Doom the PR it needed.

That, and aside from both being in first person they both really don't have a whole lot in common. Doom was just a fast, violent, stupidly fun action game and, assuming you hadn't played Wolf3D or Catacombs 3D before you played Doom (which a lot of people who played Doom back then didn't), playing a game from the first person perspective was quite a novel experience.

Marathon, on the other hand, while a more interesting game on the design front, wasn't really as accessible as Doom. Mainly because it was so story focused (which was what actually made it more interesting than Doom), though it was a bit harder to get into because you don't exactly start right off the back with all the intense running and gunning and cheap thrills that Doom offered.

It's kind of interesting to compare the two, though, because while they're essentially reaching for the same place they both go about getting there from entirely different directions. They both tried to be these really cool, fun, immersive little experiences, just that Doom approached it from the action angle and Marathon from the adventure angle. And you look at the common beginning of where they both came from like that and it's neat to see how the FPS genre has evolved outward from those two games, where we have games approaching the more story-focused, adventure angle like Half-Life, System Shock, Deus Ex, etc. becoming as equally common as the more shallow, action angled side of that coin with games like Serious Sam, Quake, Far Cry, etc.

So, uh, yeah. Anyway, I don't think Doom stole Marathon's thunder or anything like that because it wasn't a "fair fight" or anything to begin with, but you can still see Marathon's influence today.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfenstein 3D was surprisingly not all that gung-ho.

I still think Bungie need to sort out their level design.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Compared to Doom, no. At the time, however, blasting Nazis with machine guns in first person was pretty gung-ho. Mein Leiben!

Dracko wrote:
I still think Bungie need to sort out their level design.

Can't disagree with that.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose you change the name of the thread. I thought you all were talking about Doom House 2000, but instead I am disappointed and perhaps upset.

Alas, I bought the game. Co-op is fun.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mech pretty much stated exactly what I think when comparing Marathon to Doom, two of my favourite series. They did similar things but took them in very different directions. I'm actually working on articles covering both of these series, so I won't bother discussing it much more here.

Anyway, DooM came out almost exactly a year before Marathon, however Marathon was released on the Mac before DooM was ported over. You could probably say it like this. Wolf 3D stole Ultima Underworlds thunder (which came out before Wolf). Doom stole Marathons thunder (which came out after DooM) . Marathon stole System Shocks thunder (which came out on PC before Marathon and on Mac after Marathon). Well, something along those lines.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing Doom on the weekend and I had this moment where I thought, "If Quake comes to XBLA next I am going to shit my pants."

I realized while playing Doom that I'm not too shabby at it, because its style of gameplay is what I'm used to. I can't run-n-gun like I can in Doom in, say, Half-Life. But I cleared Episode 01 (including the hidden level) in a pretty respectable time. I just ran and ran and strafed and shot and spun and... it was a thrill-a-minute. I loved it!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Hitler's head in a jar with a robotic exoskeleton and chainguns for arms!

Man, what more do you want?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was silly in that prepubescent way, yes, but I actually found myself being sneaky in the earlier levels.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It was silly in that prepubescent way, yes, but I actually found myself being sneaky in the earlier levels.

I thought the music in Wolfensten 3D was also worthy of comment. It combined some WW2-ish tunes and a general nice militaristic feel. Ultimately DOOM's soundtrack probably imprinted itself more deeply into my head because the game is so much more visceral, but I remember thinking the music was a bit generic compared to the earlier game's.

Also, Wolfenstein 3D is somewhat notable for having maps that are editable as a simple text grid.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Bobby Prince unashamedly ripped off some choice Pantera songs for a few of the Doom/Doom II tracks. Extra rockage!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Alice In Chains, Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth!

I really loved the craziness of Wolf 3D, it was just so ridiculous. I was really dissapointed when the new Wolf lacked the imagination featured very generic monstrosities to fight. I want frickin' reanimated soldiers with frickin' knives for hands and frickin' guns sprouting out of their chests!

It was also originally planned as a bit of a stealthy game, hence why it's still possible to sneak around in some of the earlier, less enemy infested levels, but not when I play it (on the hardest difficulty).
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears I am incapable of playing Doom online—which is, you know, a pretty big fucking reason I got the Xbox in the first place. I can't find anything online that might help. I can connect to Live just fine, and I've played Halo 2 with no issues. I tried a random deathmatch against someone and it was fine for a few minutes; then it started chopping and I got kicked.

Any ideas?

I will probably have to call Microsoft, as Toups suggested, but will they even take tech calls for XBLA games?
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
=I mean, how can you say no to a sawed-off?

This is why I freaked out on my cousin's computer when I first experienced Doom in any shape or form. I saw that and just went crazy! At that point in my life seeing that weapon fire upon a helpless imp and turn it into bloody chunks was the coolest thing to ever happen.

It might still be the coolest thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me also say that the the board game of Doom is pretty fun, once you get into it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrational Games' Ken Levine discusses Bioshock.

This article is particularly relevant because of his dissection of what it means to be a first-person shooter, a term he ascribes to Bioshock, as he doesn't like such terms as first-person RPG.

Yeah, this is pretty much the most exciting game since Half-Life 2 and co. for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: