The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing the High Seas! (not zelda related)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Sailing the High Seas! (not zelda related) Reply with quote

Link
"Nonetheless, the surveys of these 6,000 more dedicated Xbox and PlayStation 2 users (the GameCube’s proprietary disc format is much more difficult to pirate) show that 21 percent of these gamers play pirated games, but that 73 percent would have bought the game within one month if a free version had not been readily available. This high level of piracy on console systems would generally be expected to be even higher on the PC.

The study also shows that 43 percent of all of these gamers who play pirated games download over 15 pirated titles a year. Over 74 percent of downloaded pirated games come from Internet websites or peer-to-peer networks, while 21 percent of the games are copied from friends. Of those who play pirated games, 64 percent have installed mod chips on their consoles. "

Ok, now... this is kind of bizarre, but I have a few "pirated" games [Yarrr!]. I am not saying that Pirating is cool or anything or that I even aprove of it (DON'T PIRATE GAMES see you can still advertise here, we don't support piracy), unfortunatly for some games it is about the only way to get them. The only one that I can think of off the top of my head that I have played recently Beatmania IIDX 4th Style.

I have my reasons for it. Used copies will frequently reach over $80 on ebay. And used copies don't support Konami anyways. So, am I justified in doing this, no. I should not have. To think that people download on average 15 games a year (those who do) is kind of messed up. How many new games are these people buying, and how many purchase the games after they were free? These are what I am interested in.

ALSO: "73 percent would have bought the game within one month if a free version had not been readily available"

That quote really fucks with me. Seriously. It is not a free version, I think that some people get that into their heads and use it as a reason to legitimise their theft. Second, I think that the people taking the survey lied. I had quoted recently about how at the GDC so dev said he does not care about piracy becuase those people were never going to buy the game anyways. I think that this poll was really just set up to say to people who think the way that dev does that "look they would have bought your game!"

I really don't agree with it. If that number is true I think it was just the conscience of the pirate saying "If a stolen version was not readily available they I should buy the game, but probably would have just gotten a differen't game free."

Anyways what I am saying is that I can understand when older and out of print games are obtained from gray rescources, but I really hate people who pirate a game they should have bought (or even rented) as it is readily available and supports the company.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that quote is indeed scaaaaaary..

its almost pirate law to give respect to those who deserve it.

to tell the truth...my love for the dreamcast would've never flourished if it werent for piracy...i actually bought real copies of most of the stuff i pirated...it was indeed worth it..
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't condone piracy either, but a lot of stuff is nearly impossible to buy in its original form. It ruins it for everyone who tries to find oh I don't know, Hermie Hopperhead for PS1 when hordes of pirates are downloading Devil May Cry 3.

Even back when I used to buy 'evaluation copies' of PS1 games, they were always the obscure Japanese ones that didn't make it over here, not something I could buy at any one of a dozen stores at the mall.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped pirating games when I got a job. I'd hope others would do the same, but alas... at least digital distribution is lowering game prices a bit, especially PC games... which can only be a good thing, since the PC market is PIRATE MANIA according to pretty much everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: