The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DWARF FORTRESS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started up a new fort and am currently at the point where my initial "pocket" fortress is being invaded by waves of immigrants. I went from my 7 initial dwarves to 35 within two seasons and things are currently a mess. I'm left with the decision of whether to keep my jumbled and chaotic initial structure, which is absolutely not optimized in terms of space/walking time, or if I should create a second fort structure that's better set up in terms of defense and efficiency, with the drawback being that transitioning between the two might be quite messy.

Originally I was going to switch over once I found magma, which leads me to one of the new features that Tarn has added to the game: when picking a site for exploration, you can now request that there be several features that are or are not present, then the game will search and find you a site that matches your settings (if such a site exists). This is quite nice because I always like to have a site with both a brook and magma, both of which are part of the features you can search for. Fresh drinking water and a free energy source for making metal are respectively pretty essential and very nice if you're going to be doing any sort of military.

However, I haven't managed to find the magma yet (possibly because I may have specified a magma pool instead of a magma pipe, which is much harder to locate) and there's been at least two goblin child-snatchers that have shown up, which means that I can reasonably expect an invasion force sometime soon. I do have some iron ore and a fair amount of useless dwarfs like, say, the Animal Dissector or the two Gem Cutters, who will be far more useful armed than they would be otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: