The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bioshock my monkey! (now also about SPOILARZ)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Sandra O'Connor, the writer for Gears of War, is writing the script for Bioshock as well according to her site. I don't know what to think of this.

We don't have to make any judgements until we see the final game, though. And from the videos I've seen, the writing doesn't seem bad at all. The enemies say some interesting things to you and each other (though it isn't known how many different things they actually say before it gets repetitive). It sounds like people are communicating with you via radio while you're fighting, and the story in general is generating a lot of interest as well.

I doubt "EAT SHIT AND DIE" is the extent of her writing skill. And even if every single line in GoW was really thought up by O'Connor, it kind of fits anyway. Maybe she was trying to fit the macho theme of that game.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching more Bioshock videos. A 7-minute gameplay vid recently went up that shows a string of unrelated action segments. It's really just the player carelessly attacking enemies with godmode on. It kind of turned me off to the game. It seems very not amazing now.

I think I should stop watching such videos. They completely fail to capture the atmosphere that will be this game's best feature.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or perhaps the game sucks and we've been lied to?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I've been watching more Bioshock videos. A 7-minute gameplay vid recently went up that shows a string of unrelated action segments. It's really just the player carelessly attacking enemies with godmode on. It kind of turned me off to the game. It seems very not amazing now.

I think I should stop watching such videos. They completely fail to capture the atmosphere that will be this game's best feature.

There was a post on the last page that quoted a 2k games rep saying that they (the publishers, not the designers) made that clip for media outlets to edit together themselves, presumably with obnoxious electronica or hard rock music and quick cuts. The previous gameplay videos were done by Irrational, iirc.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured something like that. Even knowing it, watching such a thing drains my excitement away. I tossed it.

dhex wrote:
or perhaps the game sucks and we've been lied to?

Nah, the 22 (I think) minute developer walkthrough guarantees that it will be superb.
antitype

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, look at it this way: You can play MGS3 as slowly and carefully as possible, savoring every moment of sneaking through foliage, savoring the atmosphere, getting completely wrapped up in the game, or you can go shirtless, put on the zombie facepaint, and Rambo your way through without a care. Perhaps Bioshock will allow you to approach it in similarly disparate manners; however you see fit.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I knew about that already. I remember a lot of folks being upset. I thought the writing for Gears of War was perfectly appropriate for it.

But, um, I'll still grab my crotch at Susan O'Connor no matter what it's supposed to mean.

Edit: I just realized that there was a whole page of posts I hadn't read. Well you can all deal with my belated thoughts.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I remember a lot of folks being upset. I thought the writing for Gears of War was perfectly appropriate for it.

That's why I'm reserving judgment: whatever complaints I have about the Gears writing doesn't change that it was perfectly appropriate and probably exactly what the dev team wanted from her. Maybe her writing for Bioshock will be perfectly appropriate. SShock didn't have great writing; it was /appropriate/ writing that built the claustrophobic atmosphere. As I'm not expecting a classic plot for the ages from Bioshock, as long as it provides writing of a good enough quality to retain my suspension of disbelief I'll be fine.

And uh I kind of don't like this crotch grabbing at Sandra. It seems kind of... gendered.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez it's not sexual or anything, gosh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She also has a crotch that she can grab back at any time. And your handle is Dongle.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dongle, is it sexist in here, or is it JUST YOU?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
She also has a crotch that she can grab back at any time. And your handle is Dongle.

the handle is satirical. i wasn't /that/ serious, guys.*

* lol
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grabs his crotch at dongle. hard.*
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does one grab their crotch AT someone? i can understand, say, grabbing one's crotch and gesturing at someone with the free hand (or prosthesis) but i'm not quite sure you can grab any appendage AT someone in and of itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the male crotch, at least, can easily be used to indicate direction. like a laser pointer.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread full of virgins lol
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now here i have to disagree: while one talks about grabbing their crotch, we most certainly think "through the clothes" or perhaps we're reading a police blotter report and they want to be discrete.

but if someone where specifically talking about pointing one's dick at someone, we would say "i wave my dick in your direction" or something along those lines. not just a generic "grabs crotch at" which clearly calls more to the iconography of michael jackson/construction workers than indecent exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will crotch grabbing be a Bioshock feature?
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotch grabbing is just a relative of the pelvic thrust - the single hand is added to draw attention to the fact that you indeed have some junk down there. In this way it can also be directed at someone.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i maintain that crotch grabbing is clearly a subordinate gesture to a larger social key.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Via Cult of Rapture:

An interview with Joe McDonagh, Senior Designer on Bioshock.
This part in particular I find encouraging:
Quote:
Jörg: In the game world, there are reactions to your actions, and reactions to the reactions. Big Daddys coming to the rescue of Little Sisters, the automated defense systems, and so on. But will all that not be a problem for new players, who have never played a complex shooter? Won’t they say, “why am I pushing a needle in my handwrist all he time, and what are those plasmids, anyway?”

Joe McDonagh: No, because we realized that Bioshock had to work just as a shooter. If you never want to use the plasmids, you should still be able to play to the end. I’ve had a very interesting experience recently. I was playing Bioshock by just running and gunning. But at a certain point in the game, you are restricted in the plasmids you can use. And when it happened to me, I felt completely naked. I realised that, over time, I had become very dependent on some of those tools, and shooting just felt very limited. We hope that after Bioshock, all shooters will do this. That designers think creatively about how they can give players more sophisticated tools to interact with the game world.

Gamers with Jobs on Bioshock.
Box art.

Also, a few videos showcasing Plasmid power-ups:
Telekinesis
Cyclone Trap
Winter Blast
Security Bullseye
Insect Swarm
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a a rather long preview that's quite spoilertastic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That website actually crashed my laptop twice, so just in case, I've uploaded the article here for anyone else.

Also, what? Does this mean the Little Sisters are free game again? Or is PC Gamer just bullshitting?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short developer diary. The bathysphere journey looks nifty, and very reminiscent of Half-Life's opening moments.

A 1up Show special, 20 minutes long or so.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New gameplay walktrhough.

See more of the HUD and how to approach the same situation multiple ways.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hath returned.

i'd just like to mention that i've been playing through system shock 1. i'm in spain right now, so i can't play anymore (stupid of me, i should've brought it), but it was a very enlightening experience when i did. i'm about 70-80% done with it. when i finish, i plan to move on to ss2 so i can eventually experience bioshock (whenever i get an xbox 360... Razz) with FULL KNOWLEDGE of the series it came from.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 22-minute live demonstration at Gamespot. It's streaming-only though, but it's awesome.

It might turn off people here, though, because it gets kind of chaotic.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this is officially the only pending xbox game that intrigues me right now.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so this is officially the only pending xbox game that intrigues me right now.

Half-Life 2 Orange Box with Episodes 1&2? Or do you mean "intrigues" in a different manner?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm planning to buy half-life 2, but i'm not intrigued by it. i know what it is. i've even blogged about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered the limited edition today at an EB Games. After I handed over my five dollar reservation fee, I was handed a DEFCON demo disc that somehow relieved a lot of the sting of pre-ordering something in a gamestop. I refused the disc since I was familiar with the game but the gesture was meaningful.

That new video is making me feel like this will be a much better decision than pre-ordering Doom 3 was in 2004.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting your leg caught in a bear trap is a better decision than anything involving doom 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
getting your leg caught in a bear trap is a better decision than anything involving doom 3.

Yeah see I got that blindly in the middle of what was to be a 5 year gaming hiatus. If anything, it extended the break.

The screens of the pc interface are exciting. It looks like we'll be able to easily move between several sets abilities with a keypress (or two), and that setting them up will be as easy as dragging circles into slots. Also: Pipe Dream as a hacking minigame.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man talk em up wow dude promo videos are hell on earth.

on the other hand this looks like hotness.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really debating this one in my head a lot. on the one hand, there's just something about the action/fighting in the game that turns me off. i don't know what it is, but just the way the enemies run around, there's something strange about it to me.

on the other hand, the parts that don't have action seem really gorgeous and that might be enough for me to pick this up when it comes out on the 360.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. It doesn't come off as organic or as natural as the theme should allow it to be, is my impression. It's awkward and a bit - I don't know - heavy-handed? Admittedly, I've felt this as being a factor in FPS games ever since Half-Life 2's elegant design. I suspect the PC version's interface will feel less burdened, however.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something really chatotic about the combat we've seen. There's a lot of frantic running around, sometimes just to buy time while injecting more EVE and thinking of an effective room-clearing strategy. It is a bit clumsy, but it reminded me of SShock 1's combat with the necessity of balancing energy and ammo and consistently being a bit overwhelmed.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scans of the PC Gamer spoiler-free review.

PC Gamer UK is generally speaking, a reliable source. Keep an eye out for the Ol' Red Eyes sub-section, about an apparently thrilling in-game sequence designed by Jordan Thomas, who did the Thief 3 map The Cradle. The good news is, though the moral choices of the game may not deliver entirely, they aren't truly the point and don't seem to be detrimental, detail is shockingly developed, voice-acting is great, the game delivers on all points, including the coding, which really should be standard with every game at this point, and as far as PC adaptations go, it strips the game of the heavier "consolification" issues, such as removing the quest compass and sheen offof mission-critical items, but the otherwise (truly) adult plot seems to falter towards the end. It's a good read and because I'm a sucker, I'm fully prepared to invest in a pricey PC collector's edition, the only other game I spent that much money on would be Half-Life 2. I'm looking forward to it, even though I severely doubt I'll get the opportunity to play it until at least another couple of years.

Last edited by Dracko on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it talked more about the eco-system part of the game. Is it dynamic? Why did they not mention the DX10 mode at all even though their test system was well capable of running it?

Still plenty excited. I'm glad the regeneration rooms made a return.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Thomas gets interviewed by Kieron Gillen on the matter of light in map design.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man major tears here: i've read that this game will not run on windows 2000. which means i'm fucked. fuuuuck. hmmm, i wonder if i can set up a dual boot environment with xp? cause i don't want to fuck over my soundcard and xp has problems in that general direction. also i don't want to reinstall all of my design apps to play a single game.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex: vista is obviously the answer here.

(seriously, yeah, partition and XP)

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vista isn't supported by my soundcard manufacturer, sadly.

i've never set up a dual boot environment so i'm a little concerned about possible complications.

so then questions:

1) i have three hard drives. if i just backed up one and installed to that (it's a data/backup/mp3 drive anyway) after wiping it clean with a copy of xp would that be kosher for a dual boot environment?

2) which version of xp?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
1) i have three hard drives. if i just backed up one and installed to that (it's a data/backup/mp3 drive anyway) after wiping it clean with a copy of xp would that be kosher for a dual boot environment?

actually, yeah, after about two minutes of partition fiddling.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp doesn't use the same kind of drive formatting that win2k does?

boo!

also what version? home or professional?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media Center version!

But yeah, you'll need a partition. I had to do that when I refused to update all the way to XP and had that on a partition while running '95 for the longest time (basically until I got a laptop). It's not as complicated as it would seem honestly.

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
xp doesn't use the same kind of drive formatting that win2k does?

no, it does, there just aren't two OSes on earth that will share the same disk space.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately (I think I mentioned this to you before; maybe somebody else will find it useful though) you can get a small-ass HD, plop an OS onto it and swap the actual wires when you need to boot into that OS. I did this all the time when I had to test software across 95, ME, 2000 and XP.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to pick up an external since they're dirt cheap and i'm kinda obsessed with backups lately. the really important stuff will be mirrored online as well.

so i'm gonna see about getting the home edition and doing this shit before bioshock comes out.

man if bioshock sucks i'm just gonna cry and cry and cry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview/documentary on the ecosystem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: