The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bioshock my monkey! (now also about SPOILARZ)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has been trying to play it but he hasn't been able to get far due to constant crashes!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'll see what i will see, if i ever get to see it, i mean.

i called another gamestop today. the poor guy was like "uh, stalker...shadow of kernel wheel or something like that, right?"

according to him, it's in tomorrow. the ebgames that's 3 blocks away is supposed to be getting it this afternoon. this all puzzles the shits out of me, though. aren't they the same company?

edit: dude from the other ebgames lied to me! lied! they're getting them in tomorrow, for whatever reasons.

LIES!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's got Madden, Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA or GoW in the title, you're better off not evening attempting to buy retail until the day after "release day".

But STALKER's looking like the first PC game I'll be playing in a while now.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IGN: In the video, we read a spray-painted poster that reads "Aesthetics are a morale imperative" under a sign that reads Doctor Steinman's "Aesthetic Ideals" and a picture of a woman with a "before" and "after" face. Aesthetics have clearly gone wrong in Rapture the same way that so many people assume Hollywood actors and actresses should have perfectly honed physiques and altered breasts and faces in American movies. Is there a particular part of the story that deals with aesthetics or is this just one more facet of Rapture's society that's gone wrong? And could you fill us in on the doctor's role in it all?

Ken Levine: I don't want to spoil too much about Steinman, but I will say you learn a lot about him. One of the great things about BioShock is that while it is a first-person shooter to the core, for players who love story there's an incredibly rich story there for those who want to experience it.

Dr. Steinman, as he starts going crazier, takes over the whole medical area. You hear his diaries: "Why am I trapped within normal interpretations of beauty? Why can't I be more like Picasso?" He wants to be allowed non traditional, even cubist interpretations of beauty. Eventually he starts walking down the hallways, thinking he's talking to Aphrodite about beauty. And you follow this descent into insanity. You hear about his descent, you see it on the walls. Eventually you come across his surgery theater and encounter him operating. He's not happy to see you. That's like a subchapter in the story of BioShock.

from here:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/775/775446p1.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, I can't believe I missed that article. Very cool stuff.

Footage exclusive to German magazine GameStar. Shows more weapons, more powers, some interesting details on already known enemies, stuff like that.

From Cult of Rapture:

Quote:
We have tallied up the votes, read your comments, and are happy to announce the details of the BioShock Limited Edition. Available on August 21st (the same day as the regular BioShock edition), the LE will include a Big Daddy figurine, a “Making Of” DVD, and a soundtrack CD. The LE packaging will also be an embossed graphic designed by the winner of the Cover Art Contest going on now at www.cultofrapture.com.

The BioShock Limited Edition will be available to US and Canada exclusively at GameStop and EB for US$59.99 (PC LE) and US$69.99 (Xbox 360™ LE). The Limited Edition will also be available in other territories and details about ordering a copy will be coming soon.

I’d like to personally thank everyone who participated in signing the petition for the BioShock Limited Edition and those who voted about what should go inside the box. We had over 26,000 responses to our poll, and those votes were the deciding factor in what we choose to put in the Limited Edition. We wanted to make the package affordable, but valuable and special for everyone purchasing it, and I think we did just that.

I’ll be sure to post pictures of the packaging and goodies inside as they become available!

Note: I changed the sentence “The Limited Edition will also be available in Europe and details about ordering a copy will be coming soon” to say “other territories” instead of “Europe” as we have not yet ruled out any regions for the Limited Edition.

Be sure to check out the exclusive trailer on Eurogamer as well.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched all the videos you guys have linked to, but I'm not sold on BioShock yet. It's certainly a game I want to like, but so far the combination of elements isn't doing much for me. Specifically, the genobabble currency of "Adam" as the medium by which you augment yourself and overcome obstacles in the form of "payments" strikes me as ridiculously contrived. Maybe the ideology exhibit in the museum area will change my mind; in the meantime, I can't help but roll my eyes every time a little sister shouts "Look, Mr. Bubbles! Adam!"

Which brings up the whole "moral ambiguity" angle. I know this can work in games, but any time a mechanical resource is tied up in the decision, it loses a lot of its ambiguity. It would be one thing if it were always advantageous to kill the little sisters, but the idea that you might gain more later if you don't kill them now makes this little more ambiguous than the good/evil paths in KOTOR or Neverwinter Nights.

Again, this could be a mischaracterization--but from what I've heard so far, I'm a bit skeptical.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
I can't help but roll my eyes every time a little sister shouts "Look, Mr. Bubbles! Adam!"

Such lines were in the beta stage, and ad libbed for a demo presentation. I doubt they'll make it to the end product.

At least I hope they won't.
Which brings up the whole "moral ambiguity" angle. I know this can work in games, but any time a mechanical resource is tied up in the decision, it loses a lot of its ambiguity. It would be one thing if it were always advantageous to kill the little sisters, but the idea that you might gain more later if you don't kill them now makes this little more ambiguous than the good/evil paths in KOTOR or Neverwinter Nights.

I don't know. It sounds all very cause/effect to me. How is that a problem?

Then again, I'm sceptical they'll actually implement the latter aspect correctly. It would make sense that killing off the only creatures capable of recycling the product would cut off the flow, but I'm guessing balancing issues will pop up, not to mention how much trouble it will be putting in.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover contest winner

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second place was better!

too abstract though i guess.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably have to agree with dhex on this one, but it's not like the winner is anywhere near bad anyway.

Don't forget the Splicers concept art. Or the Bioshock T-shirt design.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

I don't know. It sounds all very cause/effect to me. How is that a problem?

Putting meaningful moral decisions in the hands of the player is hard.

In the original Neverwinter Nights, there were treasure boxes everywhere and no consequences for not opening them. I guess BioWare saw how well Diablo had done, and wanted some of that action? The game was balanced with the assumption that you were collecting all the treasure as you went along, so unless you wanted to abuse save points and rest after every fight, you had to steal from the people you were trying to save.

That, at least, was morally interesting: how long can you hold yourself to the idealistic path, when everything is pushing you toward the cynical path of least resistance? It was pretty frustrating for the more passionate role-players, who rightfully complained.

In the expansion pack, you can steal from people if you'd like, but this angers the town guard, making the one safe area dangerous. Lawful characters can also get things from the town armory, so there isn't really any benefit to being a thief. Some particularly mercenary players finished all the in-town quests, looted the armory, and only then began pillaging the villagers' houses--at which point the thief-exclusive treasure is too weak to be useful against opponents of your level.

The role-players were appeased, but this rebalancing made thievery a disadvantageous choice. When the morally questionable path is discouraged mechanically, you no longer have a meaningful moral dilemma.

It sounds like BioShock's moral ambiguity mirrors that of Neverwinter Nights' expansion pack, so I'm skeptical.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More new Bioshock footage! Someone on the 1up forums linked this recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5yUcQIaDkE

I like these out-of-context segments of gameplay.
antitype

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh MAN that looks amazing. I can't wait.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is this just a game about shooting people?

aren't there plenty of those already?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not nearly enough that are well-done.

plus, like, system shock's taint.

(that works both ways)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

i'll agree that that's the impression the trailers are giving but based on the pedigree and interviews i'm willing to believe that there's more that just isn't being shown yet/can't be shown in a short-form clip.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the pedigree, I'm just expecting them to do an FPS that is good. None of this RPG hybrid crap. It's looking alright at the moment, but this video is definitely steeped in the shoot-everything mould.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Based on the pedigree, I'm just expecting them to do an FPS that is good. None of this RPG hybrid crap. It's looking alright at the moment, but this video is definitely steeped in the shoot-everything mould.

I preferred sshock1 to sshock2 and it appears that these biomods are closer to the neural implants of #1 than the skills etc of #2 so I am pleased. I would like to think of sshock1 as at least a little more than a 'shoot everything' game.
antitype

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Honestly, I think this is kind of like asking if there aren't already enough (good) action movies. The answer: No. Never.

dhex is right. There are tons of awful to mediocre shoot-everything games, but this one is looking like something special.

I never played much of the System Shock games, though (just a little bit of the sequel), so I'm going into this mostly fresh-faced. I don't expect it to be too much like Deus Ex, either.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus Ex was only worthwhile for the story. The first System Shock was, I agree, much better than its sequel gameplay wise. If they're taking from that and Thief more so than System Shock 2, I can't complain.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed May 30, 2007 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, everything else.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell no. Shitty controls, blocky graphics, barely passable music, crap graphic design overall...

it was an ugly game no matter how you cut it. And playing it was worse. In first person, when I aim, I somehow expect my bullet to go where I want it to, not have to wait five senseless seconds to "get a bead" on things because I haven't completed enough side quests or found enough secret areas to gain the meaningless skill points I need for my skill which I should be able to translate directly, as a player in the most direct perspective for gaming ever.

I just hope this is the sort of thing avoided entirely by Bioshock.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed May 30, 2007 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the music!

I agree the skill point system could have been done better, but atleast it wasn't as bad as the one in SS2.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in SS2, when my pointed my gun at something, I know I'd hit it, no matter how little damage it might do by lack of mod points.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in Deus Ex, when I picked up a gun, I know I'd be able to pull the trigger, no matter how little experience with it I'd have. Also, I wouldn't have to find a new one after firing it ten times. Also, if I could mod it, I'd be able to do it as soon as I found one.

Also, I seriously never had too much trouble aiming even at the start of the game, except with shit like assault rifles but I never did bother with those much until later on. At the start I just poured my experience into a single weapon type that I planned on using from the start and was good to go.

My biggest fault with the game was the AI. It was just awful, and considering the style of game, is pretty inexcusable.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, Dracko.

dessgeega wrote:

and, yes, this.

I mean, I guess I haven't been following the game closely enough, but it looks a lot more like a traditional FPS then I had thought it would turn out. I was under the impression the Protector was meant to loom over the player more, a being that was a potential very dangerous threat before it was an obstacle/walking powerup. I didn't think the majority of enemies would basically be zombies with clubs (wrenches?). I expected more sitting back and letting the world and creatures within it interact until you decided upon your chosen moment of opportunity, and less action set-pieces. I didn't expect things to look quite so...floaty, even though that's the trend that most FPS games seem to have been going towards lately.

I'm still sure it will be a really great game, and the atmosphere certainly looks untouchable, but I'm hoping that the footage shown in that trailer was basically a highlights reel of someone who chose to play the game like any other FPS. When the producers at some point have mentioned the word "ecology" as something they are addressing in the gameplay mechanics, I expect a certain amount of that to show through in what they present.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
When the producers at some point have mentioned the word "ecology" as something they are addressing in the gameplay mechanics, I expect a certain amount of that to show through in what they present.

What Irrational is releasing is a series of commercials. It's hard to present an ecology (STALKER never managed to properly do so in its previews), and it's questionable if it would even be beneficial to show Bioshock as anything other than an FPS. FPSs are popular and a lot of people who care that Bioshock isn't Red Faction probably know that already.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
basically a highlights reel of someone who chose to play the game like any other FPS

I would assume this is the case. Any other sort of gameplay isn't really easy to showcase in a short, minute long montage.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way i'm happy, so fuh-fuh-fuh-fuck y'all!

heh.

(cue routine about "sensitive effete game players" whose whispy moustaches tremble at the thought of such a...common entertainment)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think this all looks good as well. I just hope they get round to showing the intricacies of the world and how you can use them. It'd be nice to not need to piss off Big Daddies.
Tim

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Quote:
basically a highlights reel of someone who chose to play the game like any other FPS

I would assume this is the case. Any other sort of gameplay isn't really easy to showcase in a short, minute long montage.

Oh, exactly. I liked this footage because it's not specially presented in any way. But I guess this can also be a fault because there's no narrator explaining the significance or backstory behind the setting, and it looks like we're fighting random fast Half Life 2 zombies who happen to be down here.

And I mean, I can find lots faults in these everyday gameplay scenes. All the human enemies have the same "jump and swipe" attack, like they stole moves from Terry Bogard or something. The guys that throw grenades are basically Mouser from Super Mario 2 (just waiting for you to throw them back). The Big Daddies don't look like they pose much of a threat–just dodge their charges and shoot. All that stuff is kind of obvious, and I could just minimize everything about the videos all day, but I can also do that with any game I really like.

But still, all those things I can complain about don't add up to a "DO NOT WANT" for me, personally. I'm really forgiving of that kind of stuff, especially when the atmosphere is so damn intriguing, and from watching that footage, I can see myself enjoying this game immensely.

The developer commentary and Hunting the Big Daddy (both of which everyone in this thread has most likely seen) do a better job of showing the RPG side of the game. I think the narrators do a good job of explaining things.

(I guess this is where I say "fanboy mode off" or something)
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2KElizabeth wrote:
Hey guys. I'm the 2K community manager, and I'm really glad you like this video. Just so you have some back story on this video, it's actually a b-roll we sent out to media outlets. They were to use the shots and cut them together to make their own trailers. One media outlet accidentally sent it out raw -- which is why you are seeing scenes randomly placed together with 5 seconds of black in between. But even though it is not actually a "trailer" I am glad people like the gameplay they are seeing!

From here, a high-def version of the video. You can certainly see better in any case.

More info on the Little Sisters. Apparently, you can not harm them. Don't know how that will work from a design perspective. Invincible NPCs are annoying.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
More info on the Little Sisters. Apparently, you can not harm them. Don't know how that will work from a design perspective. Invincible NPCs are annoying.

Man, what happened to forcing the player to make "moral choices" and all that?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Dracko wrote:

They are forcing you to make a moral choice. They just aren't giving you options.

But yeah, this is the kind of info that I was hoping to avoid spoilers for ;_; I can't resist the lure of the thread though.

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:

Exactly. It's all well and good that you'll have to choose between using them to Harvest or not, but they're stripping options and it still comes off as a choice between just two or three of them. THis has been done before. It doesn't help that he talks about the different guiding voices as well, and who you choose to trust (Or perhaps you can play them against each other). That said, perhaps it won't be a case of multiple endings either. We shall see.

I'm starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have brought up the point so much if it won't be pushed to its extremes. It will still probably be a worthwhile experience, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you can't really harm the ghosts in Silent Hill 4. If they do it in a similar way (incapacitation) it could be pretty interesting still.

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but how would they explain it? It's silly to say that you'll have to deal with all kinds of moral issues, then remove the extreme ones. Extremes are interesting!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think maybe they decided it wouldn't work: that if the choice is ultimately between shooting a polygon child to gain valuable resources and not gaining valuable resources, bioshock's target audience would always choose shooting the child for resources, purely as a function of mathematics. and then irrational games would just be left with a child-shooting simulator on their hands.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Yeah, but how would they explain it? It's silly to say that you'll have to deal with all kinds of moral issues, then remove the extreme ones. Extremes are interesting!

Well, don't they generate "life" basically? Couldn't it be conceivable that they can't die because they are, in a sense, life itself? Bah, I'm grasping at straws: honestly I agree with you. Dessgeega has the answer to it all: it would be a child muder simulator because 95% of gamers don't care what the're shooting.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gamer's quarter
dessgeega has the answer to it all

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the gamer's quarter

Sounds like a quote from Metroid.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
the gamer's quarter

Sounds like a quote from Metroid.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the morality-in-a-narrative aspect of gameplay, Haze may be able to do something interesting with it when it comes out. It's an FPS in which you make yourself a better player by periodically injecting yourself with a drug--I can only assume this is one of the meanings of the game's title. If you use too much or too frequently, you overdose, which sends you into a fury during which your character automatically fires and is unable to distinguish between his squadmates and the enemy. As far as I know, this sense of consequence only extends to the immediate player, but it's an interesting alternative to the choose-your-own-adventure type thing, even when it's a really complex system.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haze is on my watchlist. Again, due to pedigree: If you haven't, I strongly urge you to pick up Second Sight. It's one of the best told stories in the last generations of consoles ever. Haze also seems to be aiming for some nifty stuff with the drug theme as far as hallucinations go as well. In the sense of one-upping, actually: Demo mission is clear out a village. You do, until eventually, you start seeing things getting increasingly violent. People on fire, your air support getting wrecked to Hell, stuff like that. You fight for a while like this, wiping out blood-covered, furious combatants. Once you're done with them though, their bodies fade away, so do the ones of people burning etc. The implication is obvious, but I'm confident Free Radical will go far with it.
dongle

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
As for the morality-in-a-narrative aspect of gameplay, Haze may be able to do something interesting with it when it comes out. It's an FPS in which you make yourself a better player by periodically injecting yourself with a drug--I can only assume this is one of the meanings of the game's title. If you use too much or too frequently, you overdose, which sends you into a fury during which your character automatically fires and is unable to distinguish between his squadmates and the enemy.

I'm not yet psyched about Haze but the idea that squadmates can go nuts and force the player into a situation where s/he must decide whether to take the ODing troops out grabbed my interest. I have a huge problem with killing squadmates in games. In fallout, I kept dogmeat alive until the end (it was hard!), in X-Com I rarely lose soldiers, and I have an issue with RTS games because I feel guilty sending units on suicide runs. I figure I'm cheating myself if I don't role-play a little bit.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I strongly urge you to pick up Second Sight. It's one of the best told stories in the last generations of consoles ever.

I found this today for not much money! I'll start playing it as soon as I'm near my gamecube again.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra O'Connor, the writer for Gears of War, is writing the script for Bioshock as well according to her site. I don't know what to think of this.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I think of it.

*grabs his crotch*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

*grabs his crotch*

Now, is that a gesticulation, an innuendo, or a "dude in the movie gets nailed and half the guys in the audience reach for their own privates in empathy"?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Sandra O'Connor, the writer for Gears of War, is writing the script for Bioshock as well according to her site. I don't know what to think of this.

Well, its not like she's on her own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: