The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights, Camera... Press Start: Videos From Video Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Lights, Camera... Press Start: Videos From Video Games Reply with quote

First off, sorry again to ask yet another "I need help!" thread. I know its kinda low-class, and also apologizes for yet another cross-post from Select Button. But hey, its a slightly different crowd around here, and I could use all the feedback I can get!

Anyway, this time I need a little help for a piece that I'm doing for a zine. The subject is game vids, of all kinds. I'm trying to explore the impact that videos on the internet, such as YouTube and the such, has had on the gaming subculture. Those that create videos derived from games, from either playing them and just recording it, as well as talking about them and even creating other forms of content, such as comedy.

Obviously a couple things come to mind... speed runs, in which folks film themselves playing and beating a game as fast as possible. This of course leads to super plays, in which people play games that have been altered in some fashion to allow the impossible possible. Then you have kids doing game reviews and even creating short movies and sketch comedy.

I already have a bunch of examples... that one guy that plays Ikaruga with both hands... the infamous SMB 3 vid in which one person gets like 70 extra lives in just one stage..... Mega 64.... the Metroid Prime speed run community... the Angry Nintendo Nerds.... that crazy Third Strike vid from EVO 2K4 or 2K5.... even GameLife.

What I'm looking for are some more examples... your favorite speed runs, super plays, and assorted bits of comedy. And I guess some bad examples might be worth looking into. Along with an necessary back-story and reasons why its worth notice.

BTW, and once again, all help will recieve proper credit in the final piece. Promise!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

full throttle edited into a watchable movie. it's not a straight replay movie; a lot of care has been given to making it as watchable as possible (ideally even to someone who's never heard of the game).

trackmania video in which a thousand replays of the same track are overlaid onto each other. kind of gorgeous.

megaman x and megaman x2 played simultaneously. this is a tool-assisted run where the same input is used to control both megamans in both games at the same time. pretty impressive.

speedrun of darwinia by shapermc.

there's another video i'm looking for, of uru. i'll post when i find it.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... don't we have a thread for this sort of thing?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wrote about this, too, in issue 3. i'm not satisfied with the writing, but i did try to provide reasons for why videogame replays are recorded.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't speak about this topic without mentioning this video
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's probably too late now, but i found the video i was looking for. it's called "appearance: patterns of uru" and it's pretty remarkable in that there's no actual gameplay footage in it. it's a short movie of scenes from the game set to music - and by scenes i mean places and spaces, shot from interesting angles. the movie is an attempt to capture not the gameplay but rather the symmetry and beauty of the crafted world the players explore and inhabit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: