The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Give it no quarter"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: "Give it no quarter" Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/The_Gamer%27s_Quarter

Some crazy guys on Wikipedia deleted the entry about The Gamer's Quarter because it wasn't relevant enough, it seems.

This same thing happened to the student film studio I was head of last year. The Wikipedia user-guys said that since none of our works were listed on IMDB we weren't relevant so they deleted an article about the studio, our flagship movie, and myself, flaming everything and even prolonging the arguement for over a week just so more users could put their overly redundant opinions in. We disbanded shortly after that incident, because everyone just kind of lost interest after that (it didn't help that I was the only one working on stuff, either).

I wonder what would happen if someone that's not a TGQ staffer tried to make a new entry about the magazine...
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Give it no quarter" Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/The_Gamer%27s_Quarter

Some crazy guys on Wikipedia deleted the entry about The Gamer's Quarter because it wasn't relevant enough, it seems.

I wonder what would happen if someone that's not a TGQ staffer tried to make a new entry about the magazine...

Man, Wiki's interface is supershitty, in terms of explaining what the hell all the links do. Like, is what's shown on that page the "conversation" or is there something more?

I guess I kind of get their desire to weed out vanity pages, but still.

"Did you have a good world when you died? Enough to sustain a wikipedia page?"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia is a bunch of circle jerking between the "wikipedians". I like the idea and it's handy for quick reference, but every time I to go a talk page I'm reminded of this.

My favorite wikipedia page just might be this one.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded how a few of the Fallout thread guys stated that they spend time "editing wikipedia"

I mean, ok, what do they want? A list of sites that reference us? Or just like... is MTV.com the only thing big enough?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i kind of get their desire to weed out vampire pages, but still.

"what language is it, big enough to say our names?"
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I am reminded how a few of the Fallout thread guys stated that they spend time "editing wikipedia"

I mean, ok, what do they want? A list of sites that reference us? Or just like... is MTV.com the only thing big enough?

The MTV.com thing isn't enough. According to this page they want a list of how big your e-penis is, because they'll tell you how long your e-penis is, really.

But now that it's been deleted, unless you guys win the Pulitzer prize, you probably won't have another article.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, how about:

TGQ #8: Profiles in Courage
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey are we eligible for a webby or something?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's obviously only one thing to do. let's invade.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know TGQ had a wikipedia page.

Oh well, there's always the ic wiki.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine it being a hefty blow to the ego when your wikipedia page gets deleted. I remember Momus was pretty upset when Cute Formalism was deleted with the message 'if this term was going to catch on, it would have done by now'.

However, I don't think a Wikipedia entry should be seen as the ultimate validation of existance. There's a wikipedia entry for Ashlee Simpson, for example. It's not something to worry about. Just concentrate on making a good magazine that people will want to read, and a wikipedia entry will naturally follow.

Just to add balance, I would say the Wikipedians mostly do a good job. I spent hours reading the discussion page on the Insane Clown Posse entry, tirelessly moderated by an extremely nice girl who had no interest whatsoever in Insane Clown Posse. It's a thankless task, and I admire their devotion.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Oh well, there's always the ic wiki.

Yeah, the TGQ Wikipedia page was ripped wholesale from it. So it was kind of out of place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
there's obviously only one thing to do. let's invade.

While I am all for doing something this drastic, I have to advise that this would not be the proper thing to do. Not one bit.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's get those fallout kids to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and I were going to start a Deface Wikipedia campaign as part of this vidcast we were doing. Seeing as how the series dissolved after the fourth episode though we didn't get very far with that.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about subtle defamation. You edit two or three pages with the same fact, something simple that is within the realm of possibility (not that the population of elephants has triped in the last six months), and wait it out. Sometimes, your fact will get woven into the page itself and remain for months, even years. Can you spot what I added to this page almost a year ago that isn't true?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the Kool-Aid man lawsuit part?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occured to me that I can get Tim Burton's page updated with my made-up fact that he has black and white stripes tattooed on his dick, since I sent this 'fact' into Popbitch, a british gossip column, and it got printed. So I have one citation! I just need one more and then it will be true!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
It's all about subtle defamation. You edit two or three pages with the same fact, something simple that is within the realm of possibility (not that the population of elephants has triped in the last six months), and wait it out. Sometimes, your fact will get woven into the page itself and remain for months, even years. Can you spot what I added to this page almost a year ago that isn't true?

My guess is that Randy Savage never praised 'extreme ironing' or said '"I'm the interior decorator of wrestling". Good job!

Presumably that means this was also your handiwork, on the extreme ironing entry:

'Additionally, Extreme Ironing has been a frequent topic of discussion of "Macho Man" Randy Savage, who on recent occasions has mentioned his interest in the sport, going so far as to claim it can "easily trump professional wrestling ... when the time is right".'

Subtlety isn't my strong point, but I just added some, uh, colour to Ultimate Warrior's personal life section. If this stays up for more than a day I will consider it a success (but I'm not banking on it).
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who can spot what I did to this page?

Edit - or this one?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't spot what you did to the game.com entry, but the 'mystery meat' entry now reads that donner kebabs are suspected to be made of kangaroo meat, which I believe to be an untruth.

I tried to add a bit, but then I decided it would be better suited to the donner kebab entry (under the 'UK and republic of Ireland' section). Then I realised that I'd have to add a bit to the Fanta entry to make the stories match, too. See the trail of destruction you've started there.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Edit - or this one?

Too easy. The history page says all:

Quote:
It was later discovered that this was to be a game.com version of the Playstation RPG Shadow Madness.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I couldn't spot what you did to the game.com entry, but the 'mystery meat' entry now reads that donner kebabs are suspected to be made of kangaroo meat, which I believe to be an untruth.

It was indeed an untruth. Someone caught it and reverted it though (without fixing a related edit I made to the "Kangaroo (meat)" article . Also, Nana Komatsu caught my game.com edit.

I'm going to do a lot of subtle vandalism to Wikipedia over the next week and somehow craft an article for my school's newspaper about my "adventures". A lot of stuff I did after the game.com edit has not been reverted yet (something about a sweedish actress whom I claimed was in Empire Strikes Back, the aforementioned "Kangaroo (meat)" article, and another article about the school district my high school's a part of that was actually edited again by someone else who thought I put credible information on the page and fixed a sentence to reflect the changes I made).
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys probably shouldn't post direct links from here to the wikipedia pages you've vandalized.

Has the fallout thread taught us nothing?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
You guys probably shouldn't post direct links from here to the wikipedia pages you've vandalized.

Has the fallout thread taught us nothing?

You make a very good point.

Also, my school's IP address has been blocked from editing Wikipedia. Seeing as how I've been doing most of my "work" at school, I'll have to do a lot of it at home now. Oddly enough, I don't think it's my fault the IP address was blocked.

As for the article I'm writing, I'm going to tie it in to the whole MGS2 "anyone can be a primary source thanks to the internet" thing and it will go over everyone at my school's heads so they can see past my bad writing skills.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good though, that Wikipedia has pages on obscure internet memes and Megatokyo in-jokes, because those are very significant.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, as long as it's significant to Wikipedians, it's relevant and not a vanity article. If it's relevant to everyone else and the Wikipedians don't care, though, then it's totally the most useless thing put to words and you're an idiot for thinking that was important.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can appreciate their worries about commercial advertising, however.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added something to the Doner Kebab page about how people thought the hunk of meat doner kebabs are scraped from was an elephant's leg, and that's how we get the name of the soft drink 'Fanta' (which is traditionally served in Kebab shops). Then I had to add this to the Fanta page to back it up, which took a little more effort. The bit on the Doner Kebab page has been deleted, but bizarrely the entry on the Fanta page is still there weeks later despite being incredulous rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta

My brother in law got me to add something to this page, which mentions his friend Simon Fathead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_and_Sisters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: