The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A monumental demo is upon us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: A monumental demo is upon us. Reply with quote

I've always loved strategy games based on books. Sure, the only good one was Starship Troopers, and that was more based on the movie than anything else (Same goes for Dune, and it felt more like an adventure game to me). Now what kind of glorious gaming innovations will a title reputed for it's pop-religious stance and other poor sub-themes, with poor writing to boot, bring us?

I don't know about you, but I'm sort of expectant for this thing's release. I hope it will bring it's moot controversy to public light, like the GTA series, and result in all sorts of laughs.

Have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Saviour?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the graphics look ok. armageddon is as good a topic for a game as any.

the first left behind movie is great. absolutely fantastic. the second was not so great, since the first didn't do what they thought it would. however, the company that distributes them makes great direct to video movies about the UN, the antichrist and Mr. T. there's some good corbin bernsen ones too. (i think judgement is the name of the best one, also featuring mr. t.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I heard rumors about this title a while back. I had hoped they weren't true, but looks like that's out the window.

I still remember reading the first two books way back in tenth grade. I'm not sure why I read the second one--perhaps I was feeling masochistic--but that was the shittiest writing I'd seen until I read Dan Brown. Not to mention the great creative liberties the authors bring to traditional doomsday prophecies by blowing their wad over the whole evangelical 'Rapture' concept.

I've picked up the more recent books a few times just to have a glance at the summary; am I the only one that thinks the things are starting to sound like the deformed love child of Tom Clancy and... well, a pair of hack writers?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they do strangle some things for the sake of "plot" (left behind has plot in the same way an episode of the a-team had a plot, or [insert jrpg here]) but it's fairly in line with standard american fundamentalist eschatology. i don't remember hearing anything really out of whack with the exception of the wandering jew bit they worked into the movie. that was a bit odd, but these things are supposed to be teaching aids of sorts - in addition to being revenue producing flights of fancy - which is why the same authors have produced study guide books and other group event materials.

it's actually quite fascinating, really. i hope they make an fps sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came into this thread cause I thought for a second Dracko liked a game and I wanted to see what it might be. Too bad.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you go through my post history, you'll find that I've discussed more things that I like, love or simply acknowledge over any that I actively dislike.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I don't like Starcraft is probably based on Dune 2. Not only did Starcraft copy Warcraft 2, which was basically Warcraft 1, which was a watered-down version of Command and Conquer, which was an ignorant copy of Dune 2, but resource collecting is a lot more fun when giant worms are involved.

I won't play the Left Behind game because it's probably politcally incorrect. The political incorrectness wouldn't get to me, but the use of politcally incorrect ideas to further pseudo-Christian values would.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what could be more religious than the end of the world?

the idea that something can be religious without being metaphysical - and having metaphysical consequences - is one of the most unfortunate symptoms of the modern age. just cause something has a following or joins people together doesn't mean its a religion, or even a religious impulse. but the idea that our behavior on earth is destined to lead to a - very human, i think - conception of a great final battle between GOOD and EVIL is, at its core, deeply religious, because it posits an end to the age of man and the beginning of something else. since religion is the pursuit of "something else" above all else - the pre-rational attempts to understand stuff that doesn't make sense without some sort of conceptual framework, as opposed to most ideologies which claim to have a post-rational understanding - i can only say "hurrah" at this latest feet-wetting attempt.

besides, look on the bright side; if the hardline protestants of the world went on a true eschatological rampage - rather than indulging it through books, movies and games - most of the freaks, weridoes, heathens, queers, pagans and atheists will have been so disarmed by liberal gun control laws that we'll be easily rounded up and killed!

oh wait, that's not a bright side at all. boo!

as with all things, i blame martin marty.

but really, left behind is a poetic revenge fantasy in the vein of steven segal, but with 500% more book of john. it's great to see how like with all massive ideological works, the wicked evildoers come to receive their measure in the most hamfisted ways possible. it's so unsubtle as to be nearly transcendent.

Last edited by dhex on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I think if you go through my post history, you'll find that I've discussed more things that I like, love or simply acknowledge over any that I actively dislike.

Not that I've ever noticed! Maybe this warrents its own thread, Dracko's Heartfelt Thread of Positivity, so you can readdress the balance.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, that post, along with the recent IC thread on Defcon, makes me wonder what the hell the various religions would have made of global nuclear war, had/when it happened/happens.

actually, are there nukes (command & conquer style, I'm thinking) in the left behind game? or is that all too scientific?

someone should make a game where you play a communist superpower struggling to beat God to destroying the entire world. Any time the locusts come and ravage a city before you've nuked it you lose points.
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
someone should make a game where you play a communist superpower struggling to beat God to destroying the entire world. Any time the locusts come and ravage a city before you've nuked it you lose points.

I hate to delve too deep into utter geekery, but that sounds a bit like the premise behind the whole 'Firestarter' game in the second (or was it third?) episode of FLCL. Except in that case you were a god fighting against humanity and its sprawling Las Vegas/Sodom & Gomorrah-type city. Either way, both concepts are awesome, and it would be great to see some sort of indie game come out of them. I'm a bit more partial to the commies vs. God scenario, though, as that would put you up against some serious shit.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:

Harveyjames wrote:
Maybe this warrents its own thread, Dracko's Heartfelt Thread of Positivity, so you can readdress the balance.

Insane and utterly unsubtle.

I like it.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine and I came up with a game concept we called "Religion Tycoon". It would be a cross between an RTS and a buisness management game in which the player would be trying to create his own religion. After a certain point in the game, the player would be able to take it online and battle it out, RTS style, with other players and their religions for control of the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: