The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any of you JERKFACES have Ridge Racer 6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Any of you JERKFACES have Ridge Racer 6? Reply with quote

I was looking at some RR7 images for PS3 and I almost defecated in my trousers, as they say. Ridge Racer is the only racing game outside of WipeOut that I like, and seeing a RR game for a system launch reminds me of the lovely bygone days I spent watching my best friend play RR5 on his new PS2 at my apartment, somewhere around 3 in the morning.

Anyway, for those that have RR6 for Xbox 360, what do you think of it? Also, should I get Ridge Racers for my wife's PSP or should I wait for the sequel?
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, it is good.

I didn't really play any of the previous ones (except R: which was shit, but I understand that everyone felt that way), so I can't comment on it's faithfulness to the series.

I think Shaper has it too...someone else on here that I added to my friends list is frequently playing it.

Just checked, already four people on these forums have this game. You should add yourself to our power, for we are Legion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only $20 now and it's probably one of my favorite 360 games. I saw Toups on the other day but he didn't ask me to play Sad

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This coming from a person who hardly ever plays racing games (save the occasional Colin McRae Rally, thanks to the wonderous, if not irritating, driving wheel experience), how does it compare to other games of its ilk and generation?
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure arcade action and challenge.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It plays like Daytona USA or other similar arcade racing games.

It does not play like Project Gotham Racing or Forza Motorsport, which made the reviewing press angry. They don't like it when cars don't turn at the wheels and the surface doesn't accurately model the slip of tires across a wet, muddy, or sandy surface. Apparently, having fun in such a situation is a cardinal sin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the demo once. It was alright, I guess.

It's only $20 now? Shit, I might as well get it to add another game to the 360 stack.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a RidgeRacer article in the next issue. Basically, yes: RR PSP and R6 are very good. Not as stylish as R4, but good.

This is not the first place I have heard this mentioned, but about the comparison to Daytona USA: Ridge Racer predates Daytona by a good year, and is superior in every way.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridger Racer 6 is awesome. God help me, it's awesome.

Game's fucking full of itself, though. But that's more a Namco thing.

Anyway, I haven't played online yet because I still lack skills Sad
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Ridge Racer predates Daytona by a good year, and is superior in every way.

I don't think I've ever heard you say anything that wrong before, shaper!

I mean, come on. Ridge Racer is graphically worse than Daytona for one, obviously, but more importantly powersliding in that game feels completely wrong on every level. You just sort of get sucked through the turn in the most horribly unnatural way possible after tapping the brake and nudging the wheel a bit. Daytona feels right in every way, and hell, every Ridge Racer I've played starting with Rage has the same feel to its powerslides as Daytona's, so obviously the designers agreed! Also you can't beat the music in Daytona. It's just too good. etc.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
This is not the first place I have heard this mentioned, but about the comparison to Daytona USA: Ridge Racer predates Daytona by a good year, and is superior in every way.
As a person who hasn't ever owned a Sony console, this means nothing to me.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
As a person who hasn't ever owned a Sony console, this means nothing to me.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the arcade games.
Also #1: He's totally wrong in every way.
Also #2: You should get a PS2.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the arcade games.
Also #1: He's totally wrong in every way.
Also #2: You should get a PS2.

-Wes
0. Quite possibly
1. Quite possibly
2. No way in hell

Why do I have the very bad feeling that someone is going to bring up company A's "fighting game" and try to compare it to the fighting games of companies B and C.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:

The arcade version is what I am talking about here. Ridge Racer looks much better in the arcade than Daytona does. And you may be right about the drifting, but either way it still pre-dates it. And, uhh, well, I don't really like Daytona's music. Anyways, I can't really comment on which game influenced what game when it comes to racing games. Someone had to have the idea and someone else refined it. Either way, one wouldn't likely be the same without the other.

DaleNixon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the brake to drift in Ridge Racer? This is news to me.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:

The arcade version is what I am talking about here. Ridge Racer looks much better in the arcade than Daytona does. And you may be right about the drifting, but either way it still pre-dates it. And, uhh, well, I don't really like Daytona's music. Anyways, I can't really comment on which game influenced what game when it comes to racing games. Someone had to have the idea and someone else refined it. Either way, one wouldn't likely be the same without the other.

Reasons that you're wrong:

Daytona looks much, much better in the arcades than Ridge Racer does. There are actual objects in Daytona's background including a polygonal Sonic, cones on the ground that you can hit, and a pretty sweet slot machine. In Ridge Racer there's... a bridge. And a tunnel. And that's pretty much it. Not to mention that it just looks much, much better. Here are some screen shots that might not actually show up:

The objects in the background aren't just for show either, Daytona is designed so that objects like these serve as landmarks for where you're supposed to turn. In Ridge Racer they use arrows on the walls. Trash!

The cabinet is also much, much better in Daytona. In Ridge Racer you've kind of got a rumble, but in Daytona the steering wheel actually pulls away from you when you're hitting a wall or another player. It's one of the first games I played that actually did this, and I really don't think many games do it much better, even today. It's also one of the first games to link 8 cabinets together. Ridge Racer only allows for two, and it didn't even do this until an upgrade from the original was released a year later.

And as for which one came first... well, that doesn't really matter. What's important is how well they hold up. I played them both recently - Ridge Racer in the movie theatre before Silent Hill, and Daytona at Dave and Busters - and Ridge Racer was an utter disappointment whereas Daytona was still really fun.

But as Jason Moses pointed out, the music in Daytona is the best music in any game ever. Daaaaayyytoooonnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa vs. Riiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Daaaaayyytoooonnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wins.

-Wes

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daytona holds up much better over time than Ridge Racer does (especially the PS1 port). I played the original RR that game with Type 4 and it simply does not hold up. It was a complete joke. That being said, RR Type: 4 is still unparalelled in my eyes, so thanks for the RR6 comments.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put my Saturn copy of Daytona into my CD player more often than I've put it into my Saturn.

Rolllllllll-liiiiiiing staaaaaaaaaaaaart!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Championship Edition or something of Daytona. The music is not nearly as good as the regular edition's; the rendition of the main theme is just a MIDI track that doesn't really pump me up to play the game like the full version of the song with vocals and everything.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, there is no accounting for personal taste!

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
is superior in every way.

If you would have said "I prefer Ridge Racer" it would have been cool, but instead you had to go and be 100% wrong! Smile

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
But as Jason Moses pointed out, the music in Daytona is the best music in any game ever. Daaaaayyytoooonnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa vs. Riiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Wes, you had me til right there. Allow me to explain why:

"Cruuuiiisiinnnnnn! Cruisin Woooooorrrrrrrroorrrld! Yeah yeah yeah! You've got the speed! You've got the power! To cru-uise wo-orld!!!"

Now THAT was a theme song. Consider your ass handed to you.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Wes, you had me til right there. Allow me to explain why:

"Cruuuiiisiinnnnnn! Cruisin Woooooorrrrrrrroorrrld! Yeah yeah yeah! You've got the speed! You've got the power! To cru-uise wo-orld!!!"

Now THAT was a theme song. Consider your ass handed to you.

There is a Crusin' World machine at the restaurant I work at. The sound is turned off, probably for the same reason we have a Star Trek Voyager machine instead of Time Crisis. Crying or Very sad .
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when the company I work for was owned by Sega, we had a jukebox feature in one of our games that came pre-loaded with the Daytona USA and JSRF soundtracks.

Every time somebody entered into a certain screen, their TV would start blaring

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYTOOOOOONNAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Having a room full of 20 TVs playing that clip approximately 4 times every 20 minutes was brutally hilarious.

Later this was changed so that every time somebody went to that screen, it was

UNDERSTAND
UNDERSTAND
UNDERSTAND
UNDERSTAND
THE CONCEPT OF LOVE!

Oh, I suppose I should play a Ridge Racer game at some point. Any suggestions as a starting point?
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a copy of R4 for PSX, Scratch.

edit: it's a few dollars for a used copy on Amazon, and it should come with a disc that has the original Ridge Racer in 60fps mode (minus most of the soundtrack).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000J96V/sr=1-1/qid=1157111714/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0083879-2541560?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

and for the record, I don't think Ridge Racer really started to come into it's own until around Rage Racer. but before that, the neon colors and silly music still let me revisit the earlier titles in the series, even if the cars themselves control in the most ludicrous manner possible (even by arcade racing standards!).

Of course, back then, during Ridge Racer/RRRevolution/Rave Racer/Rage Racer era, the fun was in adjusting and accounting for the insane logic of the powerslides.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:

UNDERSTAND
UNDERSTAND
UNDERSTAND
UNDERSTAND
THE CONCEPT OF LOVE!

Quiz! The non-licensed music in Jet Set Radio Future was created by a famous New York-based popular musician. But who?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard Bernstein?
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike D.

Yes, that Mike D.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was done by a crazy Beastie Boys sideproject kind of thing.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Goodwin for the win! It was Mike D of the Beastie Boys, under the name 'The Latch Brothers'. The soundtrack album was the last record to be released under the Beastie Boys' Grand Royal imprint.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Oh, I suppose I should play a Ridge Racer game at some point. Any suggestions as a starting point?

Either R4 for the PS1, Ridge Racers for the PSP, or R6 for the 360. Don't buy a system for any of them, but they are the most competent in the series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: